HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44262
09/27/01 01:30 PM
09/27/01 01:30 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
In verses 15, 17, 20 Paul is describing a Christless religionist, trying to obey from the heart, but spiritually devoid of “Christ in you the hope of glory”. In that spiritual state he does what he knows is wrong, he can not stop doing it even though he has convictions he ought to & wants to do right but spiritually is unable to cease loving evil and practicing it. This is not a Jew seeking Christ, this is a Jew rebelling against the Spirit of God, because Christ is what the conviction is all about and this Jew does not want to surrender to Jesus Christ. The power of sin is real & is organized & has an organized set of sympathies built up within Saul of Tarsus. Those powers of sin within himself Saul of Tarsus by himself ego autos can not resist for long much less defeat.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Paul tells the non Messianic Jew’s dilemma, then he jumps ahead & tells the solution to the dilemma.
24 “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?”

25 “I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Then Paul returns to close the situations of Romans 7 that shows the dilemma of Christless religion . )

“So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” He knows that the deeds of the flesh constitute a large portion of the life record. His concern every Yom Kippur is to obtain the seal of God & be allowed life within His people. He is judged by his works as well as his assent to the law. Here Paul is showing that Jesus Christ is the only source of the Yom Kippur seal of God & not the Jew’s power to try to force himself to try to follow God and keep in a life of Christless failure .

The man of Romans 7 is not a Christian, he is Saul of Tarsus the Christless Jew. The man of Romans 6 & 8 is Paul the converted Christian.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited September 27, 2001).]

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44263
09/27/01 02:19 PM
09/27/01 02:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, now I get it. Thank you for spelling it out more clearly. It is also plain to me that we don't see eye to eye on this passage. Oh well. That's to be expected with difficult portions of the Bible.

However, I find it hard to imagine Saul blaming his fallen flesh nature for the sins he himself he couldn't overcome in his own power. When he writes - "It is no more I that do it but sin that dwelleth in me" - I don't see how that is any different than what Jesus Himself endured. Every born again child of God must resist the unholy clamorings of our sinful flesh nature, just like Jesus had to.

After describing the terrible internal battle with the clamorings of sinful flesh nature in Rom 7, Paul then goes on to make his punch line in chapter 8. It begins with "therefore" and introduces the comforting thought that even Jesus had to put up with resisting the cravings and unholy desires of fallen flesh nature.

This connection with Paul's description in Rom 7:14-25 and the fact that Jesus also possessed "sinful flesh" (Rom 8:3) strongly suggests to me that what Paul wrote about the conflict between the "mind" and the "flesh" must be understood in the context of what it was like for Jesus to endure the same internal warfare with the clamorings of fallen flesh nature.

And if this correlation is correct then it would be safe to conclude that if that's it the way it was for Jesus then Paul must be talking about a converted Christian in Rom 7:14-25 who, like Jesus, is successfully resisting the clamorings of fallen flesh nature by staying connected to the same source Jesus stayed connected to - namely, God the Father.

This interpretation does not require that we accuse Paul of blame shifting when he says - "It is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me." Instead we can understand Paul to mean - It's not me craving after sin, rather it's my flesh that is clamoring for sinful expression. The "do it" in verse 17 and 20 is referring not to the committing of sin, but rather to the flesh clamoring for sin.

Does that make sense?

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44264
11/14/01 04:34 AM
11/14/01 04:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Would anyone else like to share their thoughts on this topic?

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44265
11/14/01 12:01 AM
11/14/01 12:01 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't understand why we seem so obsessed with ourselves. Christianty is an "others" focused journey. I'm glad Paul wrote this so we don't have to live in constant fear of the sinful desires that keep attacking us, but at the same time, we should be more concerned about helping others than obsessing about our own condition. Does that make sense to you guys?
God Bless
Dan

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44266
11/14/01 05:37 AM
11/14/01 05:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dan, good point. All of us must be careful not to lose sight of the reason for "pure and undefiled religion" (James 1:27) as we seek to understand and experience the truth as it is in Jesus.

Yes, Christianity is more about seeking and saving the lost, but does that make understanding how Jesus saves us personally less important? I'm sure you would answer, No. But when and where is a good place to discuss such matters?

You would like to elaborate on your comment about resisting the clamorings of our fallen nature flesh in the context of Romans 7?

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44267
11/14/01 02:16 PM
11/14/01 02:16 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
If we don't understand our own walk or relationship with Christ, to say it in the general sense, then how can we communicate the message of salvation to others?

We do, however, need a proper blend in all aspects of whatever we do and study.

Going to the extreme one way or the other doesn't help. For example, we can go to the extreme with the law or we can go to the extreme with grace.

Daryl

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44268
11/14/01 05:07 PM
11/14/01 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Well said, Daryl. A closer look at the holy place suggests 4 ways to grow as a Christian and as a church:

1. The table of show bread - personal and corporate Bible study.

2. The altar of incense - personal and corporate prayer.

3. The golden candle stick - personal and corporate outreach.

4. The holy place - personal and corporate fellowship.

But I'm still curious as to why some of us interpret Romans 7 one way, and others of us an entirely different way. Especially since our interpretations are so radically opposite. How can this be? And does it matter?

For example, I am convinced that the man of Romans 7:14-25 is a born again believer who is successfully resisting the unholy clamorings of his sinful flesh nature.

Whereas others believe the man of Romans 7 is an unconverted person who is slave to sin
and his sinful flesh nature.

And still others believe in a combination of the two. What is the truth about this famous passage of Scripture?

How are we supposed to understand Romans 7 verses 17 and 20?

7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.
7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44269
11/14/01 05:16 PM
11/14/01 05:16 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Whatever the truth is in this, or any other topic, we need to present it with wisdom and tact.

I often think of those who stop going to church because they can't give up a sinful habit such as smoking. They feel they first need to kick the habit of this or any other sin before they can even come to church.

What is the end result of that kind of thinking?

How would this and some of the other topics here affect that type of person?

Daryl

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44270
11/15/01 05:07 PM
11/15/01 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Just because Jesus is our sinless example does not mean that we should stop going to church. And just because the Bible describes a Christian as someone who does not sin does not mean that we should stop going to church.

The only reason we should stop going to church is if we stop trying to imitate the sinless example of Jesus. If we give up on Jesus and start clinging to some private or public darling sin then we should stop going to church.

But as long as the example of Jesus is our goal we should continue going to church. Otherwise the church should take some kind of appropriate steps to motivate us to make the right decision about church attendance.

But what is Romans 7:17 and 20 trying to teach us?

Re: Is the Man of Romans 7 unconverted? #44271
11/15/01 05:10 PM
11/15/01 05:10 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This may be going off topic some, however, I always thought it was good for even an unconverted person to go to church as that may be the only place to awaken interest once again.

Daryl

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!