HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,994 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do I resist temptation? #44331
11/10/01 08:10 PM
11/10/01 08:10 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
The gold is the love & faith refined in the fires of circumstances God allows. The eyesalve is the seeing of yourself from God's viewpoint, and white raiment is the merits of Jesus that you personally wear inside.

The gold, eye salve, clothes(wedding garment) & oil are a package deal. Get jesus and He brings them all with Him. Too sleepy to search for references.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44332
11/11/01 06:56 AM
11/11/01 06:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

In most discourses we hear on “The Message To The Laodiceans;” we usually get a really good dose of Rev.3:15-17:

“15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:”

I have really wondered why this is so in light of the rest of this message, and it’s potential meaning for believers today.

Rev.3:18 is the quiet part of the message that we don’t hear too often in the church;

“18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.”

What on earth can we “buy” from God? And, what does God mean when He says “gold?”

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

Isaiah 55:1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Here is another text, that would seem to be connected to Rev.3:18 as it talks about gold too:

1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Here is a passage that I thought was well suited to Rev.3:18 - COL.116.003

"Salvation is a free gift, and yet it is to be bought and sold. In the market of which divine mercy has the management, the precious pearl is represented as being bought without money and without price. In this market all may obtain the goods of heaven. The treasury of the jewels of truth is open to all. "Behold, I have set before thee an open door," the Lord declares, "and no man can shut it." No sword guards the way through this door. Voices from within and at the door say, Come. The Saviour's voice earnestly and lovingly invites us: "I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich." Rev. 3:8, 18.

COL.117.001

"The gospel of Christ is a blessing that all may possess. The poorest are as well able as the richest to purchase salvation; for no amount of worldly wealth can secure it. It is obtained by willing obedience, by giving ourselves to Christ as His own purchased possession. Education, even of the highest class, cannot of itself bring a man nearer to God.

The Pharisees were favored with every temporal and every spiritual advantage, and they said with boastful pride, We are "rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing"; yet they were "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked." Rev. 3:17. Christ offered them the pearl of great price; but they disdained to accept it, and He said to them, "The publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you." Matt. 21:31.

COL.117.002

"We cannot earn salvation, but we are to seek for it with as much interest and perseverance as though we would abandon everything in the world for it."

------------------
"...you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

DavidTBattler

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44333
11/13/01 03:23 AM
11/13/01 03:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hello. I've been away until today. I really like the idea of including Rev 3:18 as part of understanding how we might resist temptation.

I also have asked the question - Where do we get the money to buy the gold, raiment and eye salve? I wonder if Jesus' counsel to the rich young ruler sheds any light? If we sell everything to benefit the poor and follow Jesus, do we accumulate the spiritual money necessary to purchase the merchandise of Rev 3:18? And wouldn't we also be fortified to resist temptation thus equipped?

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44334
11/13/01 02:11 PM
11/13/01 02:11 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
When you unconditionally give yourself to Jesus and decide to serve Him no matter what, you have just bought the gold, white raiment, eyesalve. Buying something is a giving situation between two or more folks. Each one gives the other what they want in exchange for what they have.

To Jesus you are the pearl of great price.

To you Jesus is the pearl of great price.

As you read this, sing the song "broken and spilled out" Jesus sold Himself utterly to buy you. He did that by giving Himself to you completely. You buy what He is selling by giving yourself to Him just as completely. The part of you that is not normally able to do this is enabled by His gift of Himself to you. He knows it can never be an equitable even trade. John 1:12 Tells how He stacked the deck to help you actually be enabled to sell yourself to Him.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44335
11/13/01 03:06 PM
11/13/01 03:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have more to say; but would like to ask a question first:

How do we tell if we have "fully given ourselves" to Jesus?

------------------
"...you should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 3

DavidTBattler

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44336
11/13/01 03:31 PM
11/13/01 03:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Don't we give ourselves totally to Jesus as soon as we cooperate with the influence of the Holy Spirit who empowers us to crucify our old man habits of sin (our imperfections of character)? Seems to me a person is completely surrendered and submitted to Jesus when he would rather die than to knowingly hold on to any pet darling sin. From what I've studied that's when we experience the miracle of rebirth.

As a born again believer I now know in my heart, through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit, when I am indulging sin. The Lord is faithful to cause me to be aware of sin in my life. If it was left up to me to discern sin in my life it would never happen. I would justify and rationale it to my eternal ruin.

Praise God we are not left to our own devices when it comes to knowing where we stand, at any given moment, in our relationship to the truth as it is in Jesus. The promises of God make it clear to me that so long as I am walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man I am without sin - both justified (legally) and sanctified (in reality) through the shed blood and righteousness of Jesus.

Is that how you see it?

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44337
11/24/01 06:02 AM
11/24/01 06:02 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
The most prosperous church will backslide under the most powerful preaching unless the people awake to the necessity of individual effort. The followers of Christ cannot advance and grow up to the full stature of men and women in Christ Jesus unless they are, individually, workers. If they do nothing themselves, and expect to retain life and vitality, they will be disappointed and then fall into temptation and great spiritual weakness. . . . {15MR 129.1}

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44338
11/24/01 06:09 PM
11/24/01 06:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Edward, thank you for that nice quote. But do you think growing up into the full stature of men and women in Jesus Christ?

Does it involve becoming less and less morally defective over the course of a lifetime?

Or does it mean becoming more and more mature in the fruit of the Spirit over the course of a lifetime?

I personally believe there is a great danger in the idea that we experience the miracle of rebirth before we have cooperated with the Holy Spirit in completely crucifying our old man defects of character. To suggest that we must first be born again before we can begin the life long process of gradually leaving off our defects of character is tantamont to opening the flood gates of sin.

What do the rest of you believe?

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44339
11/24/01 09:03 PM
11/24/01 09:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote by Mike:

"Does it involve becoming less and less morally defective over the course of a lifetime?"

We can answer this with another question:

Does sin get better? Does it "improve" over time, like evolution would teach?

In what sense do we relate the process or event of "crucifixion" of our moral defects?

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Who does the "crucifying?" And what is intended with the idea of the whole world being "crucified?"

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. {by whom: or, whereby}

------------------

DavidTBattler

Re: How do I resist temptation? #44340
11/25/01 02:16 AM
11/25/01 02:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Does sin get better? Does it "improve" over time, like evolution would teach?"

Good question. What I mean by, Becoming less and less morally defective, is do we leave off or crucify our moral defects of character one at a time over the course of our lifetime?

In other words, do we first give up the greater sins (i.e., murder, rape, drugs, etc) and then over the course of a lifetime we gradually give up the lesser sins (i.e., anger, lust, caffiene, etc) until finally we leave off pride (the so-called last frontier) just before we die of old age?

Get the picture? I have actually met people who believe that sanctification is the life long process of gradually tapering off in sin according to the model I described above. They believe that victory over sin follows an evolutionary path whereby a person might start off as a fist fighter, and then after several years scale down to just feeling angry inside, until finally years down the road they are no longer irritated by things.

"In what sense do we relate the process or event of "crucifixion" of our moral defects?"

As I understand it, we crucify a moral defect of character the moment we admit that it is a defect and we refuse to secretly retain it as a pet sin. But there are other conditions too.

Namely, if we are secretly cherishing any pet sins, then whatever other victories we may be experiencing over sin are of the same caliber as when non-christians give up similar vices. That is, the origin of all such accomplishments are of human invention.

The only person who is truly experiencing Spirit powered obedience is the one who is completely surrendered to Jesus according to their personal convictions regarding what is truth. Anyone who is willfully violating their belief system by hypocritically embracing those things he condemns is self-deceived and unsaved.

It is important to make a distinction between the person who sins intentionally and the person who sins unintentionally. See Heb 10:26 and 1 John 2:1,2. The person who indulges sin without intending to repent is not in the same condition as the person who accidentally, spontaneously, in a moment of unguarded weakness slips back into the camp of sin and who is immediately repentant.

Read the following representive list of moral defects of character and ask yourself, How long would it take the Holy Spirit to convince a person that all of them must be crucified.

Galatians Chapter 5
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!