HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
voice-figures #44855
02/03/02 06:50 AM
02/03/02 06:50 AM
A
adventbeliever  Offline OP
Abbotsford B.C. Canada
"By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth." Ps.33:6,9.

In the Century Magazine of May, 1891, there was a very interesting description of the production of voice-figures. The article was entitled: "Visible Sound." Mrs. Watts Hughes had employed a simple device to test the intensities of vocal sounds. It was an elastic membrane stretched over the mouth of a receiver into which receiver the voice was introduced by means of a wide-mouthed tube.

On this membrane sand or a fine powder was sprinkled. It was found that upon singing into the tube the powder was gently agitated by the vibrations of the membrane, which vibrations corresponded to those of the voice, differing according to the pitch and intensity of the sound. This, of course, is what might be expected. But the wonder was that in every instance the agitation produced the shape of some plant or flower, or even of some of the lower forms of animal life. Something similar to this may be seen when one breathes upon the window pane in frosty weather.

It was found that when the powder was dry, it would not retain the form after the vibration of the voice ceased. So the expedient was adopted of slightly moistening it, when the various shapes could be retained and photographed. Specimens of these voice forms may be seen on page 21.

This shows that the breath, as it comes from the lungs has the shape of living things, and to the singer suggested a thought which she thus expressed:--

"Closing now my brief sketch of these voice-figures, as I have observed them, I would add that my experiments have been made as a vocalist, using my own voice as the instrument of investigation; and I must leave it for others more acquainted with natural science to adjust the accordance of these appearances with facts and laws already known. Yet, passing from one stage to another of these inquiries, question after question has presented itself to me, until I have continually felt myself standing before mystery, in great part hidden, although some glimpses seem revealed. And I must say, besides, that as day by day I have gone on singing into shape these peculiar forms, and, stepping out of doors, have seen their parallels living in the flowers, ferns, and trees around me; and, again as I have watched the little heaps in the formation of the floral figures gather themselves up, and then shoot out their petals, just as a flower springs from the swollen bud--the hope has come to me that these humble experiments may afford some suggestions in regard to Nature's production of her own beautiful forms, the revelation of yet another link in the great chain of the organized universe that, we are told in Holy Writ, took its shape at the voice of God."

Man is made in the image of God, but he has no creative power. In his breath there can be only the forms of living things; but in the breath of God there are not only the forms, but the very living things themselves, for He is the living God, and with Him is 'the fountain of life.' When he speaks, the word which names the thing, contains the very thing itself. Whatever the word describes exists in living form in that word.

This is indicated by the words of the apostle Paul concerning God that He 'calleth those things that be not as though they were.' Rom.4:17. This is an attribute of God alone. If a man calls a thing that is not, as though it were, it is a lie. But God does so, and he cannot lie. How is this? Simply because that when He calls a thing by name, or says that a thing will be, it already exists, even though it cannot be seen. The thing is in His word. When He names a thing that previously had no existence, that instant the thing exists, for His word forms it as it names it.

So then when the worlds were to be brought into existence, God spoke, and there they were. They were formed by the breath of His mouth. Now see how firm a foundation is given the believing one who knows that all things were created by the word of God, and then when God speaks, the thing named exists, full of life." E.G. Waggoner, Gospel in Creation, p.20-25.

See what a blessed thing this is. When you read the word, receive the word, and think upon the word, what is it to you all the time? O, it is creation! The creative energy is in you producing the things which the word speaks; and you are living in the very presence of the power of creation. Creation is going on in your life. God is creating, in you, righteousness, holiness, truth, faithfulness, every good and gracious thing.

Then for your soul's sake put yourself upon that creative word. Recognize the creative energy in the word of God which comes to you in the Bible; for this word of God in the Bible is the same here to you to-day that it was when it spoke into space the worlds on high, and brought light out of darkness, and cleansing to the leper. That word spoken to you to-day, if received, creates you new in Christ Jesus; that word, spoken into the dark waste and void space of your heart, if received, produces there the light of God; that word received, immediately cleanses you. Let it. Let it. How shall I be clean?--By the creative energy of that word, 'Be ye clean.' Therefore it is written, 'Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.' John 15:3. Will you from this moment be a creationist? Or will you go on being an evolutionist?" A.T. Jones, Lessons on Faith, p.61.

The psalmist says, "I will hear what God the Lord will speak: for He will speak peace unto His people, and to His saints." Ps.85:8. He speaks peace through the Divine Word, for He is our peace. Eph.2:14. But peace means righteousness. "I the Lord speak righteousness." Isa.45:19. And "Great peace have they which love Thy law; and nothing shall offend them." Ps.119:165. And again, "O that you had hearkened to My commandments! Then had your peace been as a river, and your righteousness as the waves of the sea." Isa.48:18. Then it must be that God speaks righteousness when He speaks to us in the words of His law. "All Thy commandments are righteousness." Ps.119:172.

"Peace be to you." And it is so if we do not interpose an evil heart of unbelief! Heb.3:12,7.

"Believing unto righteousness." Rom.10:10.

P.S. And the ten commandments are to be received as the voice of God speaking to the soul in promise!

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: adventbeliever ]

Re: voice-figures #44856
02/21/02 05:46 AM
02/21/02 05:46 AM
A
adventbeliever  Offline OP
Abbotsford B.C. Canada
"Last year, when I was crossing the North Sea, I fell in with a man who was a very pleasant companion, but an infidel. We talked a great deal, and he asked me, 'How do you know the Bible is true?' He didn't believe that it was true at all. He didn't believe anything in it. I said, 'My friend, how do you know that I am talking to you? How do you know?' He said, 'Why, I hear you.' I said to him, 'You hear, you know. Could you absolutely know in any other way that I am talking to you, if you did not hear me speaking?'

Well, this is the only way we can know that this is God's Word--by hearing Him speak to us. Now I know that this is God's Word, because He speaks to me, and I hear him; and when we come to that truth, there is no chance for any quibble or equivocation. You do not think of raising the question while I am at present speaking, Now perhaps it is not you that is speaking; perhaps it is somebody else. There is no room for that question, is there? You know I am speaking, because you hear me; and we know God because He speaks. If we do not know that, how can we believe? Did not Christ say that the Jews knew Him not because they could not hear Him? John 8:43. Yet was not that Word spoken for the purpose of causing them to believe in Christ? He said, 'This voice came not because of Me, but for your sakes.' Did those get out of it what they might? Yet did they not hear the voice? Now, is this not the way that a good many read the Bible? It is a voice, an expression. You read the words and get the sound, but you have not come to the place where you hear the voice of God...

"I do not know anything in the world that has helped me more than to stop and hear God speak. I may say, God, speak; and then listen, and He speaks; and then take up the Bible and read, and thus hear God speaking...

"When God spoke on Sinai, Moses spoke in answer to the voice; and then when God spoke the ten words, what does the Bible say the people did? 'They trembled. They besought that the Word should not be spoken to them any more.' Exodus 20:18-21.

Yes, that was a bad thing. They would rather have a man talk to them than God. What is God? Is He not life? What is the nature of His Word? If they had received God's words as living words, they would not have entreated Moses that the voice discontinue. No; they heard the Word just the same as we often hear it, and did not recognize it as the living Word of God speaking to them; hence they were afraid. They feared it would kill them. God would not speak to His children in such a manner that His words would destroy them...

"Now there is coming a time when that voice will be heard again, and the trump, too. Some will be afraid, frightened, and will seek hiding places. Others will say, Lo this is our God; we will be joyful, we will be glad. Why? Because they have learned to know the joyful sound. They know that when God speaks, it is life. It is life, and it doesn't make any difference in what form he speaks; it is life, and they know it, and are not at all afraid. If he whispers, all right; if He thunders, well. At that time the trump waxes louder and louder, and we will not run to get from the voice; we will know it." E.J. Waggoner, 1897 General Conference Bulletin, p.7,8.

"God thundereth marvelously with His voice." Job 37:5.

"The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty." Ps.29:4.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!