HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The secret of overcoming? #45426
07/04/02 03:32 AM
07/04/02 03:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What is your secret for overcoming temptation?

I believe HOW we overcome temptation determines success and failure. I would like to suggest that there is only way we can truly overcome temptation - by turning to Jesus moment by moment, especially during the heat of the battle.

It is equally important to understand that we cannot resist temptation by choosing not to sin. Focusing on not sinning is one of the main ways the Devil deceives us. If we make not sinning our primary goal then not sinning is our focus and sin is our god. We become like what or who we behold.

Due to the fall of mankind we no longer possess the ability to choose behaviour. All we have is the ability to choose relationship. If we do not choose a relationship with Jesus, we choose Satan by default, and we sin automatically (in one way or another).

However, if we choose Jesus then He will supply the behaviour necessary to, not only overcome temptation, but also to reproduce His character. In the heat of temptation we are incapable, nor are we wise enough, to choose the appropriate behaviour, thus we must trust Jesus to provide us with the correct response. There are a million good responses, but only one is the best way, and only Jesus knows which one is the right one.

Neither can we make righteousness our goal. When tempted, we must not focus on the correct behaviour, that's another one of Satan's deceptions. If we make right doing our primary goal then doing good is our focus and righteousness is our god.

We cannot resist and overcome temptation by focusing on righteous behaviour. Again, all we can do to resist sin is to make Jesus our one and only goal and focus, then He will empower us with the appropriate thoughts and feelings during the heat of the battle. Righteousness is a gift, it's not something we can generate by focusing on it.

But what thinkest thou?

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45427
08/29/02 07:15 AM
08/29/02 07:15 AM
F
Forever His  Offline
Posting New Member
Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
Hi Mike. I thought that I would share a text that I happened to read today that I found interesting. I am comtemplating how it might fit into this topic of overcoming.

Prov. 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

I would be happy for any input on this verse. I suspect that we would have to do more than say "I commit what I do today to you Lord... Amen" Anyone have any thought's or experiences pertaining to this verse???

Blessings
Forever His

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45428
08/29/02 02:35 PM
08/29/02 02:35 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Here is another one.

Pro 3:6
"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Claim the promises, That is the victory that overcomes the world.

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45429
09/04/02 10:39 PM
09/04/02 10:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
2 Cor 10
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

This Scripture seems to suggest that every thought will be in harmony with Jesus when obedience is fulfilled. This tells me that when we cease from sin our thoughts will be pure and holy. Which is not to say that our sinful flesh nature stops generating and communicating unholy thoughts and feelings we must resist in Jesus.

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45430
09/08/02 02:41 AM
09/08/02 02:41 AM
F
Forever His  Offline
Posting New Member
Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
Hey Mike that reminds me of this verse. 2Cor 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

And of course a favorite of mine....

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us. {DA 668.3}

Blessings
Forever His

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45431
09/08/02 12:23 PM
09/08/02 12:23 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:

....our life will be a life of continual obedience.

What does continual obedience mean here in this quote taken from Forever His' quote?

[ September 08, 2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45432
09/10/02 04:24 PM
09/10/02 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Christ's Object Lessons, page 360, paragraph 2
Let a living faith run like threads of gold through the performance of even the smallest duties. Then all the daily work will promote Christian growth. There will be a continual looking unto Jesus. Love for Him will give vital force to everything that is undertaken. Thus through the right use of our talents, we may link ourselves by a golden chain to the higher world. This is true sanctification; for sanctification consists in the cheerful performance of daily duties in perfect obedience to the will of God.

Manuscript Releases Volume Twelve, page 215, paragraph 2
Spiritual life means full obedience to God. He who has this life possesses a knowledge of heavenly things, and with this knowledge there comes continual sanctification to God. The whole being is conformed to His will. There is a capacity to receive more and still more. There is a greater and still greater desire to obtain the knowledge that is from God. Intellectual attainments will surely be the result. As we gain Bible knowledge, it is as if we were eating of the leaves of the tree of life. Duties and privileges are perceived with the keenest relish. There comes an experimental knowledge of the pardoning love of God. There is peace and purity, conflict and victory. The heart is filled with love to God and man.

The Acts of the Apostles, page 560, paragraph 3
Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. It is not gained by a happy flight of feeling, but is the result of constantly dying to sin, and constantly living for Christ. Wrongs cannot be righted nor reformations wrought in the character by feeble, intermittent efforts. It is only by long, persevering effort, sore discipline, and stern conflict, that we shall overcome. We know not one day how strong will be our conflict the next. So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained. Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience.

Faith and Works, page 100, paragraph 1
But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ, no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ's righteousness while practicing known sins or neglecting known duties. God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul.

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45433
09/10/02 04:29 PM
09/10/02 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience." DA 668.

In light of the above complimenting quotes it is difficult to image "continual obedience" meaning anything other than continual obedience. If we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, as Jesus knew Him, I believe our life will be free of moral defects of character.

I can't imagine it meaning that we are full of unknown and unconquered moral defects of character.

What do you think?

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45434
09/14/02 03:40 AM
09/14/02 03:40 AM
F
Forever His  Offline
Posting New Member
Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
Here is an amazing thought...

Divine Experiments.

The Lord Jesus is making experiments on human hearts through the exhibition of His mercy and abundant grace. He is effecting transformations so amazing that Satan, with all his triumphant boasting, with all his confederacy of evil united against God and the laws of His government, stands viewing them as a fortress impregnable to his sophistries and delusions. They are to him an incomprehensible mystery. The angels of God, seraphim and cherubim, the powers commissioned to cooperate with human agencies, look on with astonishment and joy, that fallen men, once children of wrath, are through the training of Christ developing characters after the divine similitude, to be sons and daughters of God, to act an important part in the occupations and pleasures of heaven. {TM 18.1}

Phil. 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

I choose to be...
Forever His

[ September 14, 2002, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Forever His ]

Re: The secret of overcoming? #45435
09/14/02 03:48 AM
09/14/02 03:48 AM
F
Forever His  Offline
Posting New Member
Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
So Daryl... would not "continual obedience" be the same as saying "continual surrender" ???

Forever His

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!