HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46262
07/24/03 08:29 PM
07/24/03 08:29 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
[Thank You] Thank you, Bob, for an excellent reply to Lobo's post and unfounded accusation, which without your reply, I may have edited out.

That Bible text clearly answers to Lobo's accusation.

Knowledge begats relationship as does this Bible text:

quote:

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

We could say that faith comes by knowledge and knowledge by the word of God.

But the one Bob provided is very clear on this point.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46263
07/24/03 10:36 PM
07/24/03 10:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

I don't appreciate you accusing Daryl and me of believing that we're saved by any other means than Jesus.

Sorry Bob, based on your post that was a question not an accusation.

quote:

Only Jesus saves. Knowledge doesn't. Works don't. But lack of knowledge can make it easier to take one's eyes off of Jesus. And be deceived. And be destroyed.

I disagree.

“3and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matt 18

Children have little knowledge and a lot of faith, which is how we are saved. So taking our eyes off Jesus is how we became deceived, not by our lack of knowledge.

quote:

Those who reject the knowledge that the Bible gives regarding death are in grave danger.

You are using circular logic. It’s those who don’t have faith or believe in the truth of Jesus that in danger. Remember, the devil have more knowledge and understanding than all of us put together, yet he will not be saved. Faith in Jesus, not faith in whatever knowledge we have is what saves us.

quote:

We could say that faith comes by knowledge and knowledge by the word of God.

You could say that, but I would think that would not be consistent with scripture. Satan has all the knowledge in the word and no faith whatsoever. So faith does not come from knowledge. Faith comes from an open heart and a willingness to accept the truth.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46264
07/25/03 12:00 PM
07/25/03 12:00 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
I suggest you put your questions in the form of a question, rather than a statement. It would have been much better if you had asked, "Are you and Daryl saying ..." And your last paragraph was not a question at all.

The rest of your last post does not appear to specifically deal with Hosea 4:6 or 2 Thess. 2:10, 11. You have not provided any other meaning for these passages, and thus the point still stands. Hosea 4:6 says plainly that people will be lost because of lack of knowledge. There is something about knowledge of truth that aids us in maintaining faith in Christ.

Regarding the amount of knowledge children can have, I have 4 kids, the youngest of whom is 5. If you can ask them where the dead are, and they can tell you.

As far as 2 Thess. goes, that passage is referring to more than just the rejection of the truth of being saved by the blood of Jesus. It is also referring to the Sabbath, and I'll explain how.

Christians used to believe in Creation, that the pope is the antichrist, that Christ is the prince who makes the covenant in Dan. 9:27, and that Christians ought to keep the 10 Commandments. Today, many professed Christians now believe in evolution, that the antichrist is yet future, that the antichrist is the prince of Dan. 9:27, and that the law was nailed to the cross. Why the big change in their theology?

Going with evolution is an escape mechanism to avoid the Sabbath. If the world wasn't created in six days, then the Sabbath loses its meaning. If the antichrist is future, then the Sabbath is not referred to in Dan. 7:25. If it's the antichrst instead of Christ in Dan. 9:27, then we can get rid of a text that says that Christ only abolished the sacrifice and oblation, not the Sabbath. And if we nail the entire Decalogue to the cross, we can forget about the 4th precept of that code.

These strong delusions that God has sent to those who refuse to believe and love the truth are preparing the world for the lake of fire.

The rejection of Bible truth by many professed Christians is thus detrimental to their relationship with Christ. You cannot have a meaningful relationship with someone if you refuse to believe (and in the above example, do) what they say.

[ July 25, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Bob Pickle ]

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46265
07/28/03 11:37 AM
07/28/03 11:37 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Lobo, here's a second post.

Did you ever share your thoughts on why "Samuel" came up from the earth if the Lazarus in the parable was really in heaven?

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46266
07/28/03 08:59 PM
07/28/03 08:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pickle:
Lobo, here's a second post.

Did you ever share your thoughts on why "Samuel" came up from the earth if the Lazarus in the parable was really in heaven?

Because that is where his body was. You see, scripture indicates that the “sleep” of death is applied only to the body, not the spirit or soul. That is why when Jesus raised the woman in Luke 8:55 “her spirit returned” to her body. So conceivably this is the same thing that occurred with Samuel; his spirit returned to his body.

Why haven’t you answered my question of why the devil would impersonate Samuel only to help God our by telling Saul the truth and predicting future events?

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46267
07/29/03 12:40 PM
07/29/03 12:40 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
I can't answer your question because I don't accept the premise upon which that question is based: I don't believe Satan impersonated Saul only to help out God. Yet I did much earlier refer you to where a demon offered in a heavenly council to go and deceive Ahab by speaking through his prophets.

So are you suggesting that Samuel was resurrected? How did his body get from his grave over to Endor, a considerable distance?

So you don't think that Lk. 8:55 is referring to the breath of life?

Do you have a verse that says that the soul and spirit do not sleep at death, that the whole person is not unconscious in death? How do you explain Pr. 19:15, where a "soul" or nephesh is said to be hungry, if the "soul" is not the body itself in that particular verse?

Your statement regarding the soul or spirit not sleeping implies what you have yet to demonstrate from Scripture: that there is a conscious entity apart from the body called the "soul" or "spirit." What you need to find is a verse where one of the Greek or Hebrew words in question is used in such a way that one of the alternate definitions of these words (like "life") will not do.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46268
07/29/03 09:14 PM
07/29/03 09:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

I can't answer your question because I don't accept the premise upon which that question is based: I don't believe Satan impersonated Saul only to help out God. Yet I did much earlier refer you to where a demon offered in a heavenly council to go and deceive Ahab by speaking through his prophets.

Did the demon tell the truth at that time like in the case of Samuel?

quote:

Do you have a verse that says that the soul and spirit do not sleep at death, that the whole person is not unconscious in death?

Luke 8:54-55 ". . . he, however, took her by the hand and called, saying, 'Child arise!' And her spirit returned, and she rose immediately; and He gave orders for something to be given her to eat."
Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both the soul and the body in hell."
James 2:26 "For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."
1 Kings 17:21,22 "Then he stretched himself upon the child three times, and called to the Lord, and said, 'O Lord my God, I pray to Thee, let this child's life return to him.' And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah, and the life of the child returned to him and he revived."

The term "death" which is "thanatas" in Greek, does not mean to be non-existent or unconscious, it rather means to be separated. Some examples:
Colossians 2:13 "And when you were dead (separated from God—not "unconscious") in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh . . . "
Ecclesiastes 9:5 "For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten."
The context of this verse is "under the sun." It is saying that the dead do not know anything that is going on "under the sun"(on earth) vss. 3, 6—after they die and are in Heaven. (Eccl. 12:7)

quote:

How do you explain Pr. 19:15, where a "soul" or nephesh is said to be hungry, if the "soul" is not the body itself in that particular verse?

How can a body (soul in your understanding) have thoughts and emotions?

INTELLIGENCE (1 Corinthians 2:11)
"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God."

EMOTIONS (John 11:33)
"When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her, also weeping, He was deeply moved in spirit and was troubled."

quote:

Your statement regarding the soul or spirit not sleeping implies what you have yet to demonstrate from Scripture: that there is a conscious entity apart from the body called the "soul" or "spirit." What you need to find is a verse where one of the Greek or Hebrew words in question is used in such a way that one of the alternate definitions of these words (like "life") will not do.

Ok,

Revelation 6:9-11 "And when He broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'How long, O Lord, holy and true, wilt Thou refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?' And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, should be completed also."

Dead feel pain?
“5 "The dead are in deep anguish, those beneath the waters and all that live in them.
6 Death is naked before God; Destruction lies uncovered. Job 26:5-6

The spirits in the grave are “astir”:

“9 The grave below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you- all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones- all those who were kings over the nations. 10 They will all respond,
they will say to you, "You also have become weak, as we are; you have become like us." 11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps;
maggots are spread out beneath you and worms cover you.” Isaiah 14:9-11

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46269
07/31/03 04:29 AM
07/31/03 04:29 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
In Ahab's day, the demon was a lying spirit in order to deceive to convince Ahab to go to battle. The demon in Saul's day didn't have to deceive in that way in order to destroy Saul.

Let's examine the texts you refer to:
  1. Luke 8:54-55 Can easily refer to the breath of life.
  2. Matthew 10:28 Can easily refer to "life," one of the meanings of "soul."
  3. James 2:26 Can easily refer to the breath of life.
  4. 1 Kings 17:21,22 Must mean "life," since even your translation rendered "soul" as "life."
Notice that not one of these texts says that the soul or spirit is conscious after death. Not one says that the sort of spirit or soul that you presently believe in is not asleep.

So do you believe that Eccl. 12:7 means that even the spirits of the wicked in OT times went to heaven? Eccl. 12 doesn't say that it is only talking about the spirits of the righteous.

What is the difference between a disembodied spirit and a disembodied soul?

Eccl. 9 does not say that the dead only don't know anything about what's going on down here. But assume for a moment that you might be right. Do the angels in heaven know what's going on down here? Does God know? Why then don't the departed know? Are God and the angels keeping it all a big secret from them? Or are they spending all their time up in heaven sleeping? Is that why the spirits of the departed don't know what God and the angels know regarding things happening under the sun?

Paul, and other Bible writers, did repeatedly say that the dead are sleeping. I would think they might as well sleep in the grave than spend all their time sleeping in heaven.

Your translation's rendering of Jn. 11:33 is incorrect.

God made our brain in our physical bodies to have thoughts and emotions. Those that have had brain damage are impaired in this regard. If thoughts and emotions weren't based in our physical bodies, then brain damage would have no effect on us.

Why does Rev. 6 picture the souls under the altar? Because the blood of the sacrifices was poured at the base of the altar, and the life or soul is in the blood. Thus in Rev. 6 we have the life of the blood of sacrificed martyrs crying out to God, just like Abel's blood cried out to God.

Do you think that Abel's blood literally was talking? If not, then Rev. 6 should not be taken literally either.

Some scholars, says John Gill, have thought that the dead things of Job 26 are metals or minerals. As far as "deep anguish" goes, such a translation is a bit interpretative.

As far as Is. 14 goes, which do you really believe? Do you believe that the spirits go to grave at death, or do you believe, as you said earlier, that the spirit goes to God at death? It can't go to both places, can it?

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46270
08/01/03 03:26 AM
08/01/03 03:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:

In Ahab's day, the demon was a lying spirit in order to deceive to convince Ahab to go to battle. The demon in Saul's day didn't have to deceive in that way in order to destroy Saul.

Incorrect, Saul had already destroyed himself long before Samuel died. The demon did tell Saul anything new accept for to accurately predict Saul and his sons death. This is something that Satan cannot do.

As for the rest of your post, you can believe what you like and state translations are wrong if it doesn’t coincide with your ideas. However, I look at it from the big picture and overall what the understanding was among Israel and Jesus. Even the Jewish oral tradition supports this idea as well.

I do however admit that there really is not enough clear scripture to support either side with confidence. I freely admit this, yet even though there are many text that you need to explain aware or change the literal meaning, you refuse to.

Re: Where Really Are The Dead? #46271
08/01/03 12:12 PM
08/01/03 12:12 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
By "destroy" I meant "kill" or "die." Saul did not die before Samuel's death. The demon was trying to bring despair upon Saul, and he accomplished his purpose.

We must base our faith on God's Word. In doing so we need to ask ourselves what the Word is saying, and to do that we need to sometmes go back to the original manuscripts if a translation is in question.

quote:
... you refuse to.
Point out which texts you want me to address, and I'll do so. I've addressed each one you've brought up so far, as far as I know.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!