HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46821
11/07/03 11:40 PM
11/07/03 11:40 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Thomas, for interest sake, I’m posting one of EGW’s statements on the cause of volcanic activity and earthquakes.

There is another reason for posting it though. When I was younger, if I remember right the main theory of our planet was that the earth gets hotter the further you go down due to pressure, and the core is really really hot, molten. It seemed like a plausible theory because stars tend to be very big, and so one reason for the theory was probably the idea that the more massive something is, the hotter it gets inside because of its own pressure created by gravity. Another reason it seems plausible is that in an earthquake the ground heaves in waves like the ocean and so it seems like we could be floating on a sea of lava.

But now according to what you’re saying, the scientists say, no, the core is not molten, its solid, and they have data to back it up. Which is fine, but it should cause us to look carefully at their other positions that they also have ‘data’ on. Before they changed their views they also had ‘data’.

If the scientific community cannot tell us accurately what is beneath our feet today, how can we rely on them to tell us what was here thousands of years ago?
quote:

At this time [the flood] immense forests were buried. These have since been changed to coal, forming the extensive coal beds that now exist, and also yielding large quantities of oil. The coal and oil frequently ignite and burn beneath the surface of the earth. Thus rocks are heated, limestone is burned, and iron ore melted. The action of the water upon the lime adds fury to the intense heat, and causes earthquakes, volcanoes, and fiery issues. As the fire and water come in contact with ledges of rock and ore, there are heavy explosions underground, which sound like muffled thunder. The air is hot and suffocating. Volcanic eruptions follow; and these often failing to give sufficient vent to the heated elements, the earth itself is convulsed, the ground heaves and swells like the waves of the sea, great fissures appear, and sometimes cities, villages, and burning mountains are swallowed up. These wonderful manifestations will be more and more frequent and terrible just before the second coming of Christ and the end of the world, as signs of its speedy destruction. {PP 108.2}

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46822
11/07/03 11:50 PM
11/07/03 11:50 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
So, the structure of the earth according to Ellen White is that there are bodies of coal and oil among the layers of rock that ignite and cause explosions, particularly when they come in contact with the natural fissures of the earth. She seems to reject the idea that there is a layer of molten rock encircling the planet.

On a practical note, if her view is right, then a volcanic eruption should be taken as a warning that an earthquake may also occur. Also, if she is right, an increase in earthquake activity will likely be accompanied by an increase in volcanic activity.

I checked the level of earthquake activity several months ago, and there was even back then a dramatic increase in activity.

Recently, the thermal activity at Yellowstone has cause the park to close many trails because they are too hot to walk on. If Ellen White is right, it is would be good to monitor that if you live in that area.

One other thing that her view tends to discount is the theory of continintal drift as a cause of earthquakes. So, if we assume she is a genuine prophet, just one or two short paragraphs from her call many accepted theories into question. Theories are good, but they are often presented as on a par with gospel truth before all of the data has been assembled.

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46823
11/08/03 12:13 AM
11/08/03 12:13 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Mark, I believe EGW’s perspective is correct. But she does not say that this is the “core” of the earth. These things are much closer to the surface than the core. So it is possible that the core could be solid and cold and above more activity and hot.

I’m not scientist, but I do know that heat rises.

Lastly, the advantage that the monkey-worshipers (pardon my sarcasm) has is that they do not believe in a consistent and orderly process. They do not have a set of constant values that do not change.

So when these guys are pushed and proven wrong, like the ice age, they just make up a knew theory and discharge the old.

For example, the old theory was that the grand canyon was formed over millions of years, but since that theory has been debunk by the fact that going down through the rock (strata) all life starts at a certain depth – with no organic matter below that – it proved that it could not have evolved over a long time but was sudden.

So instated of saying the flood did it, they start a new theory that the oceans rose from a title wave that was caused from a large meteor that hit the ocean. The water rushed on to land and then rushed out quickly carving the Grand Canyon. Wow! What imaginations!

In any case, they have the ability to continually reinvent their position because they do not have any constant values.

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46824
11/10/03 10:24 AM
11/10/03 10:24 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
What I would wonder about ellens writings is, how coule coal and oil burn under the earth, where does it get enough oxygen for this? While there are things that perhaps could burn without oxygen, I doubt coal or oil to be one of those things. Had I guessed about sources of heat other than great pressure, Id guessed on decaying uranium and other simmilar substances.

As I understood the scientists view, that the core isnt fluid doesnt mean that it is cold, its just way to pressured to be fluid. Dont know how that works but...

/Thomas

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46825
11/11/03 12:15 AM
11/11/03 12:15 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Have you ever seen welding torches burn underwater? They can and do. I suspect the coal burning is a similar process.

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46826
11/11/03 12:20 AM
11/11/03 12:20 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Lobo:
Have you ever seen welding torches burn underwater? They can and do. I suspect the coal burning is a similar process.

If im not totaly missinformed, the two tubes connected to a welding torch is fuel and pure oxygen respectively. They are kept separate among else to ensure they wont explode spontaneously.

The reason nitroglycerin is so dangerous is that it contains both fuel and oxygen in one substance. The reason dynamite is so effective is that it makes sure the fuel and oxygen in nitroglycerin doesnt selfignite.

/Thomas

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46827
11/11/03 12:24 AM
11/11/03 12:24 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
You'd think, with all the oil, coal and gas exploitation that's been done in the last century we'd know the answer to whether fossil fuels burn spontaneously underground. I'm guessing the answer to that may already be out there somewhere.

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46828
11/11/03 03:56 PM
11/11/03 03:56 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
quote:

If im not totaly missinformed, the two tubes connected to a welding torch is fuel and pure oxygen respectively. They are kept separate among else to ensure they wont explode spontaneously.

Right. So the 02 that is burning comes from the supply tube not the environment. Now imagine a fissure of large crack underground that can funnel air to the coal, probably connected to an underground spring – which is where the o2 would come from, and you have yourself an underground torch.

quote:

You'd think, with all the oil, coal and gas exploitation that's been done in the last century we'd know the answer to whether fossil fuels burn spontaneously underground. I'm guessing the answer to that may already be out there somewhere.

Oh we know. There are places in the US that there is coal burning underground as we speak. This was from mines catching on fire that they could not put out. So they just smolder on and on.

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46829
11/13/03 10:25 AM
11/13/03 10:25 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Hi

Im wondering where ellen got this information, was it in a vission from God or somewhere else?

Lobo, I agree that such conditions could get burried coal and or oil to burn, however Im not as sure they would be sufficient for iron or rock to melt. Why? Becource of what I heard about blacksmiths, burning coal will get iron or other metals hot, but to get them soft enough to work with, you would need to actively add air with one or more bellows (?).

/Thomas

Re: Creation isn't monkey business! #46830
11/14/03 04:11 AM
11/14/03 04:11 AM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
Thomas,
Well, I’m certainly not an expert, but what EGW stated in this regard make sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!