HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
An Enemy Caused This #47811
01/17/06 01:27 AM
01/17/06 01:27 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
"Not one noxious plant was placed in the Lord's great garden, but after Adam and Eve sinned, poisonous herbs sprang up. In the parable of the sower the question was asked the Master, "Didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? how then hath it tares?" The Master answered, "An enemy hath done this." All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares (MS 65, 1899) [published in F. D. Nichol, Ellen G. White and Her Critics]. {1BC 1086.2}
How far-reaching is this principle? Does it only apply to noxious herbs?

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47812
01/17/06 04:06 AM
01/17/06 04:06 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What determines a weed noxious or not?
God Bless,
Will

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47813
01/17/06 05:36 AM
01/17/06 05:36 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If it's poisonous.

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47814
01/17/06 06:46 AM
01/17/06 06:46 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Poisonous to humans or poisonous to any animal aswell (cocoa)? Poisonous to all humans or only to some humans (wheat, nuts)? What about the plants who bring medication in just the right amounts while bringing sure death in to large amounts? And what about flowering plants such as orchideae who look quite good but most likely are indigestible? Also if these plants that are poisonous to humans where to be killed, they would likely take groups of insects and birds and maybe mamals with them into extinction. So what really is an obnoxious plant?

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47815
01/17/06 02:41 PM
01/17/06 02:41 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
Thomas there you go, asking unanswerable questions [Smile]

I've always heard that the definition of a weed is a plant that grows where you don't want it to, like volunteer corn in a wheat field. A noxious weed is another story, maybe it's something that would cause sickness when eaten by anything.

Of course there are plants that are not poisonous that man makes poisonous, like grapes being made into wine. And then like Thomas points out there are poisonous plants that we make good drugs out of. Then there are poppy plants that can be used to make both good and bad drugs.

But what Mrs. White must have been talking about was any plant that is somehow harmful or undesirous where it is, either because it is poisonous or because it's not where we wish it to be, like tares in crops.

Can tares be a reference to humans as well? Of course. There are many of us that are like noxious weeds, we are where we should not be, or we poison the church and people in general. Are we wheat or tares? Maybe this is a question we should ask ourselves everyday. Are we a positive influence to the world or a negative one. The age old conflict between good and evil, God and Satan, right within our hearts.

Redfog

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47816
01/17/06 02:43 PM
01/17/06 02:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
When sin came into the world, things changed. There were changes in the plant kingdom, and among humans as well. To take wheat as an example, it could be some flaw in wheat that causes a problem for humans, or some problem in humans, or some combination. It really doesn't matter as far as the question I'm asking is concerned.

The principle brought out by the Spirit of Prophecy is that God did not create the noxious herbs, but an enemy did this. That is, Satan instigated changes to the plant kingdom designed to do bad things: to cause suffering, sickness and death.

Does this principle extend to other areas? Say, the animal kingdom, for example.

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47817
01/17/06 05:33 PM
01/17/06 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe Satan caused all of the sinful changes that have occurred in our world - plants and animals and diseases. He is constantly tweaking the forces of nature to distort things. However, he isn't at liberty to do whatever he pleases. God is in control. He cannot break the rules God has outlined, that is, he cannot go beyond the boundaries of God's plan.

Yes, God's plan includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. The torture and death of Jesus is evidence that God's plan includes things that, on the surface, seem bad and ugly. But the fact is - the life and death of Jesus is a wonderful thing, it demonstrates the love of God like nothing else can. The same is true of all the seemingly "bad and ugly" things that God has caused Himself or has permitted the Devil to cause.

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47818
01/17/06 05:45 PM
01/17/06 05:45 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Most likely it is a change in humans that caused weeds, after all, it is only a human that would call sweet corn a weed simply for growing in a barley field. The substance in wheat that causes intestine problems in some people is used by others to prepear delicious food. A plant that can cause almost instant death in some people is one that is the main ingredient in what I heard is one of Americas favourite foods. A nut alergic could die in an hour or less by eating even trace amounts of peanuts, which of course is the main ingredient in peanut butter.

I think Redfog is right saying that the parable refers to humans.

/Thomas

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47819
01/17/06 06:18 PM
01/17/06 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
So far, only MM is addressing the issues I had in mind. However, any comments or discussions are good. I like the application to people. Surely this is primarily what Jesus had in mind in saying the parable.

quote:
I believe Satan caused all of the sinful changes that have occurred in our world - plants and animals and diseases. He is constantly tweaking the forces of nature to distort things.
I agree. I cannot think of any evil that is not traceable to him.

quote:
However, he isn't at liberty to do whatever he pleases. God is in control. He cannot break the rules God has outlined, that is, he cannot go beyond the boundaries of God's plan.
This is a very odd way of wording this, IMO. It implies that somehow Satan is doing what God had planned, which is of course absurd. God does not desire sickness, suffering or death; only Satan does. Satan can only do what God allows; that is true. "Allows" is the word that should be used. Definately not "plan".

quote:
Yes, God's plan includes the good, the bad, and the ugly.
No, God's plan includes only the good. God allows evil, because He created beings with free will. But "plan" means something different. "Plan" implies design, intent. God did not intend that his creatures should sin.

quote:
The torture and death of Jesus is evidence that God's plan includes things that, on the surface, seem bad and ugly.
If "includes" here means "incorporates", or "takes into account," then I agree. If it has the connotation of design or intent, then I disagree.

quote:
But the fact is - the life and death of Jesus is a wonderful thing, it demonstrates the love of God like nothing else can.
Amen!

quote:
The same is true of all the seemingly "bad and ugly" things that God has caused Himself or has permitted the Devil to cause.
I agree with this too, with the caveat that God does no bad things. By "bad" I mean things that are bad in and of themsevles, as opposed to things that would be called bad if anyone else but God had done them.

Re: An Enemy Caused This #47820
01/17/06 11:21 PM
01/17/06 11:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
But how do you determine which things are inherently and objectively bad, ugly, noxious, evil etc? Is our view really anything but subjective as in, this hurts me, therefore it is bad, ugly, noxious.. Like the things that plauged israel when they turned from God in biblical days. Subjectively, the rain not falling, the insects eating that which managed to grow, the raiding neighbouring nations who came to steal and kill where bad, noxious and yes, evil. But objectively, didnt those things happen to catch the peoples attention?

/Thomas

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!