HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48245
03/13/06 03:31 PM
03/13/06 03:31 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally quoted by Tom
quote:
-- This is the at-one-ment; this is why He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows, that He might do that for us by breaking down all those things which separate hearts from hearts, both human and divine.

Notwishstanding this, we did esteem Him striken smitten of God, and afflicted. That was what we thought about it. We said, God is doing all this; God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice. The Christian idea of sacrifice is this. Let us not the contrast. "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (GCB 1897, Fifield)

I have to disagree with our brother Fifield on two counts, at least. "Esteeming" the suffering servant punished by God isn't as Fifield has eloquently put it - that we think it is punishment when it isn't; rather Isaiah's "esteeming" is the perception at Golgotha that Jesus deserved it!!

This part
quote:
We said, God is doing all this; God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice.
is also wrong, in that the pagan notion of sacrifice excluded divine wrath, and pagan sacrifice isn't offered by the h e a t h e n diety but by the worshipper!

Obedience and disobedience to God's law is the most obvious lesson in the Bible: the result of sinning is death (Rom 6:23), and Jesus' death on our behalf was primarily to save us all from that death - in the name of love. Love was the motivation, dying our death was the need.

That you disregard that need brings into question what you regard separates us from God: after all, since our God is a consuming fire, it's not just a misunderstanding between man and God about God's character.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48246
03/13/06 03:47 PM
03/13/06 03:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I agree with your statement here...BUT, so would have FRED WRIGHT. His misconception of the character of God, causes him to misrepresent God's character and how God deals with humans.
Well so might Hitler and Satan. That's not at all relevant. Truth is truth, regardless of the author. If even the devil says something that's true, it's still true.

If you're worried about my having been influenced by Fred Wright, my ideas are my own. John hasn't read Fred's book, I don't think, and he's in harmony with the ideas I've been presenting. I can't think of any ideas I have now that I didn't have before reading Fred's book. I like the way he lays out principles and illustrations, but I've been studying these things for many years, several decades, and didn't read Fred's book until recently. So this is a non-issue; a red herring. We can talk about Fred on the other topic you created for that purpose.

Allow me to repeat my question:

quote:
If you look at Ellen White's writings, you will see that she presents the idea over and over again that Satan's means of fighting the Great Controversy is to misrepresent God's character as arbitrary, severe, harsh and cruel; as not having our best interests at heart. Given this is Satan's goal, we might ask just how it is that he goes about doing this.
Has Satan been successful in his goal? If so, how?

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48247
03/13/06 03:53 PM
03/13/06 03:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Obedience and disobedience to God's law is the most obvious lesson in the Bible: the result of sinning is death (Rom 6:23), and Jesus' death on our behalf was primarily to save us all from that death - in the name of love. Love was the motivation, dying our death was the need.
I agree with this. Well I guess not quite. It (Christ's death) was primarily to win the Great Controversy and secure eternally the universe. But certainly saving us from death was a primary purpose for Christ's death.

quote:
That you disregard that need brings into question what you regard separates us from God: after all, since our God is a consuming fire, it's not just a misunderstanding between man and God about God's character.
I'm not disregarding the need you bring out. As I stated, I agree with what you wrote in the first paragraph.

This explains the separation:

quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)
Where I disagree with your perspective is that the problems we have are not legal ones, but ones having to do with mind, heart and character.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48248
03/14/06 04:31 AM
03/14/06 04:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
So what is the character of God?
The whole purpose of Christ's mission was to reveal God's character. The character of God is exactly what we see when we look at Christ. When we've seen Jesus, we've seen the Father.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48249
03/14/06 04:33 AM
03/14/06 04:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
If you wish to understand the character of God you have to do it by proxy since no one has seen God at any time. The easiest way to understand the character of God is to understand the character of man and the rest of Creation. He cannot be worst than the best humans can be and are.

This is certainly true. The first sentence sounds like John 1:18:

quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.(CEV)

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48250
03/13/06 08:46 PM
03/13/06 08:46 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline OP
North East OHIO
Don't want you to think I'm putting you off...I'm not...and will back soon as I can...Sorry for the delay! [Smile]

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48251
03/13/06 09:57 PM
03/13/06 09:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Fifield: We said, God is doing all this; God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice.

Colin: [this] is also wrong, in that the pagan notion of sacrifice excluded divine wrath, and pagan sacrifice isn't offered by the h e a t h e n diety but by the worshipper!

This quote doesn't address who's making the sacrifice, but the purpose of the sacrifice. Fifield correctly identified the pagan concept of sacrifice, which is that a sacrifice is being made to appease God's wrath. Note: "God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off."

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48252
03/14/06 12:47 AM
03/14/06 12:47 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ewall:
Fifield: We said, God is doing all this; God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off. That is the pagan conception of sacrifice.

Colin: [this] is also wrong, in that the pagan notion of sacrifice excluded divine wrath, and pagan sacrifice isn't offered by the h e a t h e n diety but by the worshipper!

This quote doesn't address who's making the sacrifice, but the purpose of the sacrifice. Fifield correctly identified the pagan concept of sacrifice, which is that a sacrifice is being made to appease God's wrath. Note: "God is killing Him, punishing Him, to satisfy His wrath, in order to let us off."

Do you understand propitiation as separate to expiation? It's not the ongoing debate out there that I'm concerned about, but that some modern Bible translations (e.g. RSV) use expiation while the rest use propitiation. Propitiation involves Christ/God appeasing God's wrath against sin; expiation involves efforts to appease a diety who has no wrath against sin.
quote:
The word propitiation carries the basic idea of appeasement, or satisfaction - specifically towards God. Propitiation is a two-part act that involves appeasing the wrath of an offended person and being reconciled to them. (from gotquestions.org)
Rom 5:9 has us being saved from God's wrath. Fifield was wrong. Pagan sacrifice doesn't appease divine wrath.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48253
03/14/06 04:25 AM
03/14/06 04:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
The word propitiation carries the basic idea of appeasement, or satisfaction - specifically towards God. Propitiation is a two-part act that involves appeasing the wrath of an offended person and being reconciled to them.
The only reason it says "specifically towards God" is because of the theory you are asserting. You can't prove something is true by assuming it's true. That's just arguing in circles.

The second sentence is true. Propitiation is an offering made to bring about a reconciliation. The error is in confusing who the party is that needs to be reconciled.

Allow me to provide an illustration. Some time ago I was dating a woman. The two of us were at a party. I paid some attention to another friend, a female friend (married) at the party. My girl friend became jealous, and made it clear that she was upset at me.

I was totally innocent in this. My conscience was clear. However, I could see my girlfriend was upset, and I didn't want her to stay that way. So I thought about what I could do.

I decided to take a day off work. Without warning here, I took the day off and drove 3 hours or so to visit her. When I arrived, she didn't see me come. I could see her head hanging down. She was still upset.

When she saw me, her face lit up. She displayed a mixture of joy and surprise. We were reconciled! (I love this illustration; brings back happy memories).

This is an illustration of how God propitiated us with the gift of His Son. We were the ones who were unreasonably upset; we were the ones who needed to be reconciled. God's feelings towards us have never changed. He so loved us He gave us His Son.

Re: Is The Character of God Being Misrepresented? #48254
03/14/06 01:46 PM
03/14/06 01:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The opinion that Jesus destroys unsaved sinners by ceasing to hold in check the inevitable results of sinning is, in my opinion, false and dangerous. Either way, though, Jesus is directly responsible for destroying them. Whether He causes or allows it to happen doesn't change the fact that He is responsible.

The idea, however, that He is too loving to cause the death of anyone is foreign to truth. The idea that it contradicts His character to cause, rather than merely allow, the punishment and destruction of unsaved sinners is false and dangerous. Why? It contradicts the truth. It ascribes to something else the authority of God.

To allow something else to receive the credit that alone belongs to God is to jeopardize the security of the universe. If Jesus is not the one responsible for defeating sin and death, if something else wins the great controversy, then we are no better off than at the beginning of the great controversy.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!