HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,494 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What about Marriage? #48433
09/02/00 12:55 AM
09/02/00 12:55 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

When you are engaged, everyone says marriage is wonderful, but neglect to mention how much hard work the first year is and how much of an adjustment it can be!! Anyone have advice for us newleyweds of 11 months?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Moss (edited September 01, 2000).]

Re: What about Marriage? #48434
09/02/00 01:43 AM
09/02/00 01:43 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

The best times early in our marriage were when we went to the States and spent a couple of days each month with "just us" in towns like Minot, Grand Forks or Fargo. We'd shop, dine and maybe swim in the motel's pool.

Soon enough the kids came along and responsibilities doubled, tripled and quadrupled. We enjoy parenthood, but the first couple years of "connecting" were very important to see us through what came later.

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Re: What about Marriage? #48435
09/02/00 09:21 PM
09/02/00 09:21 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Let's see, that's been 26 1/2 years ago, but, I'll try to remember back that far.

The first year was an adjustment, with us learning about all the things we neglected to mention.

But it was an enjoyable time as well.
Spending time together without others in the way, and being with friends any time we wanted to.

But as Pastor A. said, them the additions started to come, 1, then 2, then the 3rd.

Next spring, the last willleave the nest, and we will be 2 again, sorta.

Just choose to get it together and it will happen.
You have a decided advantage, Jesus is in your marriage, I camee to Hiom late in life.

Gerry B.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: What about Marriage? #48436
09/03/00 07:41 AM
09/03/00 07:41 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Devour & practice Matthew ch's 5-7 & Ministry of Healing, Adventist Home, Child Guidence and you will have a happier marriage than you thought possible, neglect them & it will drift into worse than you thought possible.

Focus and daily work (yes set aside time to work on)loving God, Loving each other, putting God's value upon yourselves & your spouse, loving your kids (when they arrive) & your inlaws (don't make them into outlaws). Make time for God, each other,kids,family & united mutually agreed upon outreach & personal outreach projects.

Family worship set in stone as a perpetual morning & evening untill the pastor preaches both your funerals. It will cement You both & kids to God & each other & the Church.

When kids arrive give them your time & attention. Simplify your lives to follow these things & you will be a thrillingly happy and effective SDA married couple on your "golden anniversary" should time allow that on this Earth - or till Jesus Comes.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: What about Marriage? #48437
09/03/00 09:27 PM
09/03/00 09:27 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hi!! Thanks for the advice so far!!

Ed, we have actually been advised to read Adventist Home from about 4 people now, so we'll have to buy it next time the Bookmobile is in town!!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What about Marriage? #48438
09/20/00 04:10 PM
09/20/00 04:10 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Ok, we have Adventist Home now and are reading nightly before bed (or rather Markell is reading it and I am listening)

Can I ask another question? How do you deal with the daily frustrations/annoyances that are always bound to come up, and that always seem easiest to take out on our spouses? Is there a way to healthfully argue/fight with your spouse?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What about Marriage? #48439
11/11/00 04:17 AM
11/11/00 04:17 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
Hmm, healthy way to fight. That should be a topic alll by itself. I'll let you know the answer, in about 50 years.

Re: What about Marriage? #48440
11/11/00 11:49 AM
11/11/00 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

As the little red cardinal perches on the slender branch in firm hope of spring, so I offer these things wherein we have received help, in the hope they will help others also.

Problem Solving God’s Way

1. Pray for help and cooperate with the intent of your prayers.

2. (Engraft from the four Gospels & Desire of Ages, Christ’s Object Lessons, Thoughts from the Mount Of Blessing, The Ministry Of Healing) The life of Jesus & what He stands for, teaches, what He is committed to, how He handles life, what makes Him “tick”. How to eat & drink what He offers - Himself through the power and His presence invested in His words . Find out what the real issues are, get to the heart of the matter, He always does . Operate from there. When the heart or most basic real issues are solved other things have a way of falling into line, or getting solved much more effectively .

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

When we receive Christ as an abiding guest in the soul, the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, will keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. The Saviour's life on earth, though lived in the midst of conflict, was a life of peace. While angry enemies were constantly pursuing Him, He said, "He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." John 8:29. No storm of human or satanic wrath could disturb the calm of that perfect communion with God. And He says to us, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you." "Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest." John 14:27; Matthew 11:29. Bear with Me the yoke of service for the glory of God and the uplifting of humanity, and you will find the yoke easy and the burden light. {MB 15.2}

It is the love of self that destroys our peace. While self is all alive, we stand ready continually to guard it from mortification and insult; but when we are dead, and our life is hid with Christ in God, we shall not take neglects or slights to heart. We shall be deaf to reproach and blind to scorn and insult. "Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Love never faileth." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, R.V. {MB 16.1}

Happiness drawn from earthly sources is as changeable as varying circumstances can make it; but the peace of Christ is a constant and abiding peace. It does not depend upon any circumstances in life, on the amount of worldly goods or the number of earthly friends. Christ is the fountain of living water, and happiness drawn from Him can never fail. {MB 16.2}

The meekness of Christ, manifested in the home, will make the inmates happy; it provokes no quarrel, gives back no angry answer, but soothes the irritated temper and diffuses a gentleness that is felt by all within its charmed circle. Wherever cherished, it makes the families of earth a part of the one great family above. {MB 16.3}

Far better would it be for us to suffer under false accusation than to inflict upon ourselves the torture of retaliation upon our enemies. The spirit of hatred and revenge originated with Satan, and can bring only evil to him who cherishes it. Lowliness of heart, that meekness which is the fruit of abiding in Christ, is the true secret of blessing. "He will beautify the meek with salvation." Psalm 149:4. {MB 17.1}

The Father's presence encircled Christ, and nothing befell Him but that which infinite love permitted for the blessing of the world. Here was His source of comfort, and it is for us. He who is imbued with the Spirit of Christ abides in Christ. The blow that is aimed at him falls upon the Saviour, who surrounds him with His presence. Whatever comes to him comes from Christ. He has no need to resist evil, for Christ is his defense. Nothing can touch him except by our Lord's permission, and "all things" that are permitted "work together for good to them that love God." Romans 8:28. {MB 71.2}

3. Carefully study the verses below and write down everything you see in them about strife, fighting, quarreling, and contention . Determine from each passage, if you can the following things.

A. What are the real heart issues?
B. Why people fight and / or quarrel?
C. What the Bible says about a person who quarrels and or fights, and it calls that person ?
D. The consequences of quarreling and or fighting .
E. What must be done to restrain and overcome strife and contention ?
F. From the information learned from the Bible passages. Looking at the “flip side” to what would have prevented the fight/quarrel - by an internal change before hand or a change of circumstances before hand ?

4. Memorize several verses and passages that are meaningful to you. Search the Scriptures to find more that apply and engraft (memorize and practice till they become habit), them also.

5. Choose some times you were involved in a problem solving situation and, using the information and power found in the Bible’s verses and passages, analyze and :

A. Tell or write, what you did that was in keeping with Biblical words, context, and expressed intent .
B. The ways in which you erred.
C. What you could have done differently? (If you keep doing things the same way - when you could do them differently - What’s the real reason you keep doing things that way - Where does the Bible & SOP hold victory for those underlying reasons ?)
D. Process with yourself actually following Biblical directions in that tendency, occurrence, or situation.
E. Pray about the situation, (confess sins -{and to the appropriate people - that you sinned against}, recompense your wrongs, ask for specific help, thank God for giving that help, act as though you have already received that help.)

6. Keep a diary on God’s way of Biblical conflict or problem solving . Write down the facts as to what happened, what was said and done, how you felt, how they felt, what was the outcome. What things you did or said were Biblically inspired and what were not . Record anything else that could have been done - before, during, or after that would have been in harmony with Scripture.

Bible Texts and Passages: ( only a few offered search the Scriptures & SOP for more texts & explanations.)

Proverbs :10:12
Proverbs 13:10
Proverbs 15:1,4,18
Proverbs 16:32 ;
Proverbs 17:14,27
Proverbs 18:6,19
Proverbs 19:11,13
Proverbs 20:3
Proverbs 21:9,19
Proverbs 25:8
Proverbs26:17,21
Proverbs 29: 20, 22 ;
Genesis 13: 8, 9 ;
Genesis 26: 17-31 ;
Judges 8:1-3 ;
Judges 12: 1-3 ;
Ecclesiastes 10:4
2nd Samuel 19:41-43
2nd Samuel 10:1-14 ;
2nd Kings 14:1-8 ;
Jeremiah 28:1-11 ;
Daniel 1:8-16 ;
Romans 12:14-21 ;
Romans 13: 12-14;
Colossians 3:12-15;
Ist Timothy 6:1-4 ;
James 3:14 - 4:2 ;

** Material adapted and added to, from “Preparing for Marriage God’s Way” by Dr Wayne A. Mack .

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F. Sutton (edited November 11, 2000).]

Re: What about Marriage? #48441
11/14/00 06:58 AM
11/14/00 06:58 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

"When you're wrong, admit it; and when you're right: shut up!"

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: What about Marriage? #48442
11/18/00 01:28 PM
11/18/00 01:28 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Hey David, where were you 27 years ago?

Sister Moss, have a middle ground, a neutral corner so to speak, where you can come and discuss your problems.
Avoid the accusitory stance, and say something like this: "you know, when you do/say things like that it makes me feel like...."

Like David said, if you are in the wrong, admit it and appoligize, if you are in the right, wait andf let it come out on it's own.
My wife has pracrticed this for 28 years ( even before we were married ) and she has managed to get me to admit I was wrong.
She also avoided a lot of arguments that way as well.
I am, after all, a hardheaded Irishman, and I learns slowly.
Choose to love and forgive and be willing to extend the olive branch, eventually it will be a mutual thing to do and there will be races to see who can be the first to do it.

At least in my house that's the way it works, now, and my wife still isn't committed to Christ ( that she has told me anyway).

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!