HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,627
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,419 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Complaining? #48476
10/10/00 09:52 PM
10/10/00 09:52 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hi. EGW say in "Adventist Home" that we are not to share our complaints about our spouses with others. I have further read elsewhere that we are not to complain at all. How do we handle concerns/disturbances in situations where we are counselled to not talk about them?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Complaining? #48477
10/11/00 12:58 AM
10/11/00 12:58 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Now that is interesting.

Can you give the quote and reference where she says that?

-----------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl

Re: Complaining? #48478
10/16/00 10:09 PM
10/16/00 10:09 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Sorry it took me so long to reply here. I was referring to Adventist Home, p. 38 which references Signs of the Times, Nov. 14, 1892 and Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 5, p. 335.

AH: ". . .some who profess to be Christians talk with their neighbors concerning their home difficulties. They relate their grievances in such a way as to call forth sympathy for themselves; but it is a great mistake to pour our trouble into the ear of others, especially when many of our greivances are manufactured and exist because of our irreligious life and defective character. Those who go forth to lay their private grievances before others might better remain at home to pray . . . . A lack of courtesy, a moment of petulance, a single rough, thoughtless word, will mar your reputation, and may close the door to hearts so that you can never reach them."

What are your thoughts? Have I misinterpreted this? I know that I read elsewhere that we are not to complain, but I cannot remember where or when.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Moss (edited October 16, 2000).]

Re: Complaining? #48479
10/16/00 11:54 PM
10/16/00 11:54 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
This is so true. If you really stop and think about it, telling our spouse's faults at length to anyone and everyone who will listen is actually a violation of our marriage vows, a very serious betrayal of one's promise to love and honor our chosen mate throughout our lifetime. However, reading this passages and others like it in context, I do not personally believe that it condemns talking things over with a trusted friend or counselor, who experience has shown will help us to look at the other side of the matter and think out how to deal with it, and will keep all such communications in strictest confidence.

I have a couple of good friends that I can talk to about anything, and I know that they will pray about the problems in my life, and whatever I tell them will go no further. They are not the type to agree with me in condemning my husband, but will rather suggest a more tolerant point of view that I may have overlooked. This is a far cry from the type of complainting that Sister White was referring to.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited October 16, 2000).]

Re: Complaining? #48480
10/17/00 12:00 AM
10/17/00 12:00 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not so sure if it is even good to take your problems to a counsellor as they are only human also.

I believe the best thing is to take it all to the Lord in prayer.

Daryl

Re: Complaining? #48481
10/19/00 10:39 PM
10/19/00 10:39 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Sometimes we face problems that overwhelm us, even when Jesus is our friend. I believe that there are definitely times to turn to a counsellor for help, but I also believe that it should be a Christian counsellor. That way, the two of you can take the problem to Christ in prayer, and find a solution there ... sometimes this world is too big for us to handle on our own, and when we feel like that we need someone else's strength - especially if we are not yet strong enough in our faith to "Let go and let God".

I also agree that trusted friends are who we should turn to when we need advice or a sounding block, but it does not seem as if this is what EGW is referring to. I don't have the whole context of where she quotes these statements from, but it does sound to me as if they are blanket statements and that we should never complain aloud about our trials.

Anyone have an opportunity yet to find out what the Bible says about this topic? I'll do some searching myself (and maybe get my Bible study group to help me out tonight, if possible!).

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Complaining? #48482
10/20/00 01:30 AM
10/20/00 01:30 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Seeking counsel is biblical. But we should choose our counselors very carefully. They should be someone with a very close connection with God themselves.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited October 19, 2000).]

Re: Complaining? #48483
10/20/00 11:43 PM
10/20/00 11:43 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Even Jesus sought the comfort and solace of friends.
Martha and Mary, along with their brother Lazarus.

He talked with and to His desciples as well.

Their is nothing unscriptural about seeking out a friend to talk to.
There is a friend that is closer than a brother.... Jesus is our closest friend and brother, but there are others that are as well...

Be careful who you trust, they might bite you.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: Complaining? #48484
11/06/00 07:33 AM
11/06/00 07:33 AM
B
Barb Loman  Offline
Charter Member
Adelaide, SA, Australia
My dear friends,
When it comes to a shaky marriage [I've been hitched to the same fellah 41 years and looking forward to a great retirement] I have learnt one thing. Someone very near to me in my family almost broke my heart talking about her husband in the vein that she did. After 2 years of professional marriage counselling she came to me and said, "I know it's all my fault now, I have depression". As I am very close to this girl this taught me a very big lesson. Always watch out for this. Never be hasty. If someone came to me about their shaky marriage I would only be too happy to try and talk them through it. I don't think we should have to bottle our stresses up - talking it out helps - if you're talking to the right person but firstly to God. love, Barb

------------------
Barb Loman

Re: Complaining? #48485
11/06/00 03:19 PM
11/06/00 03:19 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

I look at it this way:

The writer of Ecclesiastes said "There is a time..." for everything.

If you read "Mind, Character and Personality" Mrs. White puts this instruction in its proper perspective. There are certain principles for healing the mind. One of them is not to impress the "negatives" into our own hearts by repeating them constantly to others.

I've seen letters written from Ellen White's own hand where she mentions "burdens" but never discusses them. Her letters contain mostly encouraging Scriptures.

Throughout the normal course of events, however, the 1st Century churchman James maps out what we should do in James 5:13-18. Verse 16 says, "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed (spiritually, physically, emotionally, financially and regarding family "issues"). The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

[This message has been edited by A. Marttinen (edited November 06, 2000).]

Re: Complaining? #48486
11/06/00 08:34 PM
11/06/00 08:34 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

I like it when the answers come from "The Book"! Thank you for your input. I know that there are times (especially as a newlywed) that I need to bounce things off of other people!!! I still haven't completely figured out this marriage thing!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Complaining? #48487
11/14/00 07:08 AM
11/14/00 07:08 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Why does the Bible say "Confess your faults one to another?" (James 5:16).

What implication does this verse have for Sarah's original question about complaining?

(Hint),

The rest of the verse (Jam.5:16), admonishes us to "pray one for another."

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Complaining? #48488
11/14/00 06:03 PM
11/14/00 06:03 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I think we are to confess our OWN faults, the ones that affect the person you are confessing to, to each other. We are to confess in order to receive forgiveness, to ask for others help in supporting us in our faith. At least, that's my definition of the verse. When we confess our own faults, we are not complaining about someone elses!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/06/24 11:36 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!