HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48571
12/10/00 04:03 AM
12/10/00 04:03 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
Obviously no doubt about it, martial arts in all forms is designed to allow the one who knows the arts to defend themselves against physical agression.

Personally, I would love to know how to prevent someone form hurting a weaker person, as in, I see someone banging up a women. HOWEVER, I believe there are better ways than involving myself in years and years of training.

Another thing is, I believe they teach you self defense first, not self offense. Am I correct?

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48572
12/10/00 12:31 AM
12/10/00 12:31 AM
P
Paul Beach  Offline
Posting New Member
I've had friends who were Adventist and who learned Karate to the point of being black belts. For them, it was excellent exercise and they were able to learn the fundamentals without being involved in the religious aspects.

The body is an amazing thing, and the ability to defend against attack (especially if you live in a dangerous area) is very good to know, not just because you may have to use it, but because you know you have the capacity to use it and not be a victim.

I really wish I had learned it as a kid, but like Won, my parents told me that there wasn't enough time to do that and do my schoolwork, etc.

The benefits of learning it are self-control, confidence, and respect. The people I know who have achieved great levels in the martial arts have never been involved in fights because they have learned to control themselves under pressure.

Paul

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48573
12/10/00 04:04 AM
12/10/00 04:04 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Beach:
The benefits of learning it are self-control, confidence, and respect. The people I know who have achieved great levels in the martial arts have never been involved in fights because they have learned to control themselves under pressure.

If their self-control was gained through the martial arts, what room has that left for Jesus Christ?

------------------

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48574
12/10/00 01:38 PM
12/10/00 01:38 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Martial arts has a purpose - what is it?
The Gospel has a purpose - what is it?

Paul was often attached but would not resort to self defense, why?

2 Corinthians 10:
1 ¶ Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:
2 But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds ; )
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Jesus weapons in His epic battle with Satan were not physical weapons, why?

Matthew 4:
1 ¶ Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Abram’s (Abraham’s) battle was against flesh & blood & used physical weapons, what was the purpose of the battle ? Had Abram & his servants been training for war long?
Genesis 14:
12 And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
13 ¶ And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.

16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
17 ¶ And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale.
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
21 ¶ And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23 That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24 Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Notice the progression as human history draws ever closer to the Second Coming. Can Martial Arts be called spiritual or carnal weapons ? Or knives, or guns, or muscles and superior strength? Perhaps it would be self defeating for the mission, if martyers spin kicked their opponents or broke their jaws or power bombed them with a well placed wrestling move ? Jesus at His trial possessed the power to “nuke” everyone and everything into instant submission - but didn’t.

John 18:36
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Matthew 26:
48 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
49 And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
50 And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.
51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.
52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

55 In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
57 ¶ And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited December 10, 2000).]

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48575
12/11/00 05:36 PM
12/11/00 05:36 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
I think that some are making the assumption that those of us who study the martial arts are doing it to learn how to defend ourselves. While this is part of the reason, for me, at least, and many who I train with, a bigger reason is is not defending OURSELVES but defending OTHERS. I don't particularly care if you call me names or harrase me in some way. I have enough self-confidence and/or understanding of who I am not to be bothered by your (not you, personally ) petty annoyances. It is the fat kid being bullied, or the old man getting harassed, or the woman with three little kids who gets her purse snatched who we are mostly concerned with. So you chase the purse snatcher. what are you going to do when you catch him? And then he pulls a knife. This is not a perfect world. I like to think it is a little safer because I'm here.

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48576
12/12/00 05:44 PM
12/12/00 05:44 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I have never studied the martial arts, although I have considered it on occasion. There is an interesting discussion going on here, although I haven't quite been able to absorb all the posted material yet.

Let me ask a question of those of you who study the martial arts. Do you seek out a teacher who can show you the moves without the history or religion behind those moves? Do you use it to gain strength against someone or for physical exercise. If for physical exercise, is there not another method that would not tempt "fate" by engaging in an activity known to have, at the very least, originated in pagan worship or activity?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48577
12/12/00 07:58 PM
12/12/00 07:58 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
I have begun a topic in the Natural Remedies forum about Chinese Medicine which I would suggest that those who are reading here also read. The origins of both Chinese medicine and the martial arts are the same, and are closely tied together. The information there should be helpful to your understanding. Go to http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/ubb/Forum49/HTML/000022.html

------------------

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48578
12/12/00 09:18 PM
12/12/00 09:18 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Quite a bit has been posted about the pagan origins of the martial arts, and I'd like to make just two comments regarding this. First, I think the origins are of less importance than what the thing means to us now. Second, if you examine it, you'll probably find that most of what we do today has pagan origins. (Christmas, Easter, Passover...) Even our Olympic games started in pagan Greece. So, outside of tilling the soil, pretty much all activities have pagan origins.

(Of course, if we really want to discuss this, we'll have to define "pagan origins" and all the other terms we're using, but I don't think that is the purpose of this thread.)

[This message has been edited by Durk (edited December 12, 2000).]

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48579
12/15/00 03:16 AM
12/15/00 03:16 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
You have a good point Durk. Are there then things in our lives that do good even when begun in evil? It is a question to ponder. Perhaps there are many things in our lives that we ought to be reconsidering!

Back to martial arts though, I understand you may have some experience in this area, what are your suggestions/experiences and what have you learned from the martial arts that uplift you and bring you closer to God?

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Martial Arts And Christian Living #48580
12/26/00 08:16 AM
12/26/00 08:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Durk and Won

If you check my post above, re the concern about bowing down to the instructor upon entering the "dojo," you will not find any reference to my associating this with any kind of worship. I have always bristled at having to bow down to any other person for any reason. I understand the point that you make about "culture," but we are living in Canada...a different culture than the east; and what we beleive must also be respected.

There are some dojos/instructors that do respect this kind of thing.

To help explain better what I am saying I will relate some more personal experience.

I have worked in several types of maximum secur security psychiatric settings. Some patients were so violent that they had to be restrained by both wrists and ankles, in addition to being strapped into a chair; PLUS, in some severe cases, chemical restraints were used.

It was a big "no no" to go beyond a certain part of the hallway without atleast one other staff member with you.

Do you know the legal implications were I to use any of the martial arts or other "fighting" techniques I have picked up along the way on one of these violent patients?

We were taught some really effective ways to deal with violent people that mostly involved verbal and body language things that worked in most confrontations; and when something physical was required it was never necessary to exchange blows of anykind.

One time I walked onto a regular nursing unit I was working on; and a nurse was lying on the floor. She had just been "sucker-punched" in the stomach by an Alzheimer's patient who suddenly became aggressive. All the other staff were standing there petrified; scared to make a move to help the fallen nurse...They didn't want to tangle with this guy because he was really big, and very strong.

Not even the male staff would go near him. I knew I only had a minute or two to do something; so I carefully approached the patient; and in less than five minutes, him and I walked down the hall, arm in arm, and I secured him in his room. Everyone was incredulous, to say the least.

I have studied and thought a lot about all this self defence stuff; and parts of my "macho man psyche" says it would be great to be a martial arts expert; but as I consider how Jesus Himself approached violent people; I am encouraged, and relieved that I don't have to go to all that training and rigor to defend myself and others.

In particular; I think you would find it really interesting to study two specific experiences that Jesus had with violent people. One, was in Mark, chapt.5, where the violent demoniacs came running at Jesus and His disciples, and the other experience was with the violent mob that came to take Him away to be tried and crucified. What I have learned from these two experiences of Jesus has helped me immensely in the above two nursing situations; and many other violent confrontations that have ocurred in my life.

What do you suppose I may have learned and practiced from Jesus; that I would never get in a martial arts class?

Do some people need martial arts? Is the world really safer because of martial arts? Perhaps certain police, security, and similar personell should be trained a bit in that direction; but I like to think that the world is safer because of Jesus.

I will post more later.

------------------
Soul winning is soul loving.
see 1 Thes.5:14-15).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

(Hi David , I just fixed a typo for you. Sarah)

[This message has been edited by Mrs Sarah Moss (edited December 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DavidTBattler (edited January 02, 2001).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!