HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Root of Bitterness #48764
02/09/01 08:00 PM
02/09/01 08:00 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Someone has said that bitterness is the poison you swallow to hurt someone else. The only one it hurts is the one who is bitter.

I've had to deal with bitter people all my life in my own family and out. I find that I have to deal with them in the church. Sometimes bitterness springs up in places you would never expect to see it and it produces a harvest of anger, pain, and misery. Souls have been wounded and lost because of bitterness. What does the Bible and SOP say about bitterness?

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled" Heb. 12:14, 15.

"And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" Eph 4:30-32.

"I beseech all who engage in the work of murmuring and complaining because something has been said or done that does not suit them, and that does not, as they think, give them due consideration, to remember that they are carrying on the very work begun in heaven by satan. They are following in his track, sowing unbelief, discord, and disloyalty; for no one can entertain feelings of disaffection, and keep them to himself. He must tell others that he is not treated as he should be. Thus they are led to murmur and complain. This is the root of bitterness springing up, whereby many are defiled.

"Thus Satan works today through his evil angels. He confederates with men who claim to be in the faith; and those who are trying to carry forward the work of God with fidelity, having no man's person in admiration, working without hypocrisy and partiality, will have just as severe trials brought against them as Satan can bring through those who claim to love God. Proportionate to the light and knowledge these opposers have is Satan's success. The root of bitterness strikes deep, and is communicated to others. Thus many are defiled. Their statements are confused and untruthful, their principles are unscrupulous, and Satan finds in them the very helpers he needs (RH Sept. 14, 1897)." {4BC 1142:3, 4}

How true I have found it to be that those who are carrying grudges, who are angry with someone else, with or without good cause, cannot keep quiet about it. They will always tell others, sometimes even when others don't want to hear. The servant of the Lord says they are doing the work of Satan. How do we handle the bitter feelings of others, especially those who are church members, professing to believe the truth? What can we do to help them? How can we help protect others from being defiled from someone's bitterness, or can we protect them? How do we destroy the roots of bitterness should they be found in our own hearts?

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: The Root of Bitterness #48765
02/09/01 08:05 PM
02/09/01 08:05 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
A couple of days ago I discovered that an individual of my acquaintance has apparently been affected by a situation with which I am familiar and it has caused a bitter attitude to develop in them. They have done something quite childish. It's just the kind of thing a child would do if they got mad at their playmate and declared that they were going to take their toys and go home and they weren't going to play with their playmate anymore. What they did would be laughable if it wasn't sad. But bitterness isn't known to be reasonable but rather unreasonable.

I have found myself unwillingly involved in the situation that I had no desire to get caught in. Unfortunately, it involves a matter in which one person's attitude about what they perceive as a wrong done to them has affected several other people, and now they are exhibiting the same attitude. It is a case of "no one can entertain feelings of disaffection, and keep them to himself. He must tell others that he is not treated as he should be."

The knowledge came to me completely unawares by way of on of the disaffected parties. What am I supposed to do when I see these things happening? How am I supposed to react when I am made aware that people I had cared about are acting in an unchristlike manner? According to the Matthew 18, I am supposed to go to that person(s). I've tried. But what if they won't listen to me or to anyone else? What if it is the kind of situation where logistics prevent carrying it all the way to the end? Those involved have shown no desire to listen to anything I may say or point out to them. I'm a nobody, so it's not my words that I want to convey, but God's words from the Bible and SOP. They seem utterly blinded by what I can so clearly see. So you see, I am rather stuck aren't I? What do I do and where do I go from here?

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: The Root of Bitterness #48766
02/09/01 10:57 PM
02/09/01 10:57 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I'd like to suggest that the very first thing you need to do is pray - not just a quick little prayer, but hours, even days of prayer. I have not dealt with quite the same situation you mention here, but in cases in which I had to confront someone about something they did to me or my children, that kind of prayer was an absolute necessity. Not just prayer for guidance, but prayer for my own attitude first, and then for God to open their hearts and minds to what I needed to speak to them about. Not until I reached the point where I felt a spirit of only love for the person, concern for their own soul, and at peace about my approach and about God's leading would I actually say a single word to them - and sometimes that would be 2 weeks or more of nearly constant prayer - not on my knees, but while I was doing everything else that didn't requre my undivided attention. When I have done this, the results have always been amazingly positive. Persons who simply do not apologize or admit they are wrong have done that very thing, sometimes even in tears.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: The Root of Bitterness #48767
02/13/01 04:25 AM
02/13/01 04:25 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I'm with Cathy. When it seems that words will not reach someone no matter what we say, then we must turn to God because He can reach the heart when no one else can. Contine being friendly, there may come a time when that person will open up to you and perhaps ask for advice and then they will be more open to your words. If we allow ourselves to be led by God's Spirit, then we can rest in Him. You never know, but your words may be recalled by that person down the road and they will be calm enough to recognize the wisdom.

I had a friend who was having a difficult time with another person, and shared with me what was going on . . . I advised her according to the Word and she was eventually able to act on that advice - not just because of what I said, but also because I followed my own advice, and because I did not judge her for her feelings and reactions in the situation (I know this because she shared with me her reasons after they had resolved their "situation").

God's Words resound throughout the times. If we share His Word and do not see an immediate response, that is ok because His Words live forever - in every heart that hears them. It is their choice whether or not to obey them.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: The Root of Bitterness #48768
02/25/01 01:57 PM
02/25/01 01:57 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
There is an old adage that 'you can lead a horse to water, but, you can't make him drink'.
You just keep the water available, when they are thirsty they will sip from the well.
You have done what you can, now it's in God's hands.
Keep praying.
Gerry

------------------
Chose you this day whom you will serve,
as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!