HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I need advice... #49118
09/04/03 01:39 PM
09/04/03 01:39 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I am in a dilemma of sorts. Two years ago our church began a Pathfinder club, under my leadership. This year, as I am expecting my first child, the club is under new leadership. I fought for the right to remain on staff at the time of nomination and won, however, having been pregnant for the past 5.5 months, I realize that I don't actually have the energy to do much beyond what needs to be done at work and at home. In addition, they have changed the meeting day from a weekday to Sabbath, and I have a conflict about Pathfinders meeting on Sabbath on both a personal and a spiritual level. (I truly believe our youth/children need a source for Christian fellowship outside of Sabbath.) On a personal level, that is the day my husband and I truly rest from the world and from work. It is the one day a week that the computer gets turned off, the world is excluded and we rejuvenate our relationships with God, each other and occasionally other friends.

My problem is that the Pathfinder club has been my passion for two years and still is. There is a spot in my heart for those kids that is held just for them. How can I balance my needs and my family needs with my passion to work with the Pathfinders? I honestly cannot see myself being of much use should I decide to be a Pathfinder Counsellor, but I feel as though I would be letting down the new director and the club if I do not help out.

Your 2 cents worth would be appreciated as soon as possible! Thank you

Re: I need advice... #49119
09/05/03 03:14 AM
09/05/03 03:14 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Prayer! Your continued prayers are and will continue to make a difference in your necessary absence! Maintain your connection to the kids in other ways - phone them at home and encourage them to walk closer with Jesus, greet them enthusiastically at church, send them cards in the mail, email them, etc....

Re: I need advice... #49120
09/04/03 04:57 PM
09/04/03 04:57 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
To add to what Mike said, I am hoping that there is no rule against a Counselor meeting with her wards outside of regular club meetings.

Re: I need advice... #49121
09/05/03 04:50 AM
09/05/03 04:50 AM
Bnd4glree  Offline
Posting New Member
Salem, Oregon - USA
As Dr. Laura would say - "Your first obligation is to your family." And after that is taken care of, then feel free to follow what Brother Mike mentioned. And I second your concern with Sabbath as a meeting time for Pathfinders.

Re: I need advice... #49122
09/10/03 03:46 AM
09/10/03 03:46 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Thank you all for your advice and words of encouragement. As I said before, this is not an easy decision for me, but one that must be made.

It is true that just because I am not there every week, that doesn't mean that I cannot be involved in their lives in another way, so I intend to do just that. After two years, there is a bond there that cannot be easily broken anyway.

Thank you.

Re: I need advice... #49123
09/11/03 11:46 PM
09/11/03 11:46 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Two things flagged me about that first post. One, the phrase "I fought for the right" and two, the phrase "I have a conflict about Pathfinders meeting on Sabbath on both a personal and a spiritual level".

Here are my questions:
1. In a volunteer position within an independent, church based organization, do we have any "rights" at all. If so, what are they?

2. What, exactly, is the nature of your conflict with having Pathfinders on Sabbath? (ie: why is that a problem.)

Re: I need advice... #49124
09/12/03 02:22 AM
09/12/03 02:22 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Let me take a stab at answering Durk's questions.

#1 - Sarah said she fought for the right and won that right apparently by convincing the Nominating Committee.

#2 -
quote:

Posted by Sarah:
I have a conflict about Pathfinders meeting on Sabbath on both a personal and a spiritual level. (I truly believe our youth/children need a source for Christian fellowship outside of Sabbath.) On a personal level, that is the day my husband and I truly rest from the world and from work. It is the one day a week that the computer gets turned off, the world is excluded and we rejuvenate our relationships with God, each other and occasionally other friends.

I believe Sarah had already answered the 2nd question from what I bolded above in Sarah's post.

From once being involved with Pathfinders myself as a leader, we did activities during a week night that we couldn't have done during the hours of the Sabbath, therefore, I agree with what Sarah said in relation to Pathfinders being held on the Sabbath.

Re: I need advice... #49125
09/12/03 02:31 PM
09/12/03 02:31 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Durk, re: Question 2: As Daryl pointed out, the issues I have with Pathfinders on Sabbath are summarized by the statements I made in my first post. To extend on that, our children and youth deserve to be given a break from wordly pressures and have a time of fellowship with other Christians in the midst of the week - just like adults do when they come to prayer meeting. As Pathfinders previously ran on the same night as prayer meeting, it was intended to help encourage attendance at both meetings for both age groups. I also feel that much of the preparation for Pathfinders can cause the leaders to break the Sabbath rest in order to be ready for the meetings. As Daryl also pointed out, some of what happens at Pathfinders is not necessarily of a spiritual nature, and therefore you are limited in what honours, etc. you can teach prior to sunset, and I believe that can encourage an attitude of "I can hardly wait for Sabbath to end so we can get on to these other things". It also means that if you cannot accomplish what you want/need to on Sabbath/Saturday evening, you have to reschedule another date during the week or on Sunday to do it. If you go camping, you lose one week of preparation time for the trip (especially when your trip is planned very close to the beginning of the year). And there are other reasons, but I think the above illustrates my objections a little more in detail.

As to question no. 1, I believe we do have "rights" (although that may be the wrong word) when we are doing the Lord's work. If God has called you to do something, you have the obligation to fight for the right to do it if there are people trying to get in the way of your being able to accomplish His plans. When you beileve God has given you passion, talent and gifts to do a job, it is your responsibility to follow up and plead for the chance to do that job. When people start making decisions about your life (not about your ability to do the job) without consulting you, I believe you need to fight to correct the situation.

Re: I need advice... #49126
09/13/03 03:12 AM
09/13/03 03:12 AM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Regarding responses to question two, they strike me more as offending your personal Sabbath observance traditions rather than legitimate arguments against holding Pathfinders on Sabbath. Basically it comes down to the fact that this is not the way YOU want to spend Sabbath. And there is nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong. You can do anything you want. You can hold any beliefs you want.

To me the problem with the above is this: when the church as a whole has decided to have Pathfinders on Sabbath (or any other decision someone may object to) and someone ceases to participate because they have a doctrinal objection to the decision, they essentially place their authority above that of the church. (Whether or not THAT is a problem is also open to discussion. [Smile] )

The real bottom line question here is WHO WIELDS AUTHORITY??

Point number one. (which is actually question #2) IMNSHO, you have as many rights as the church wants to give you, in the areas they decide. (see bottom-line-question above.) And if you have a problem with "When people start making decisions about your life (not about your ability to do the job) without consulting you,."
then you need to immediately distance yourself as far as possible from...well, let's just say "social organizations".

What does any of this have to do with your dilemma? Let's get right to the point. You're fighting a losing battle. Go do something else and enjoy the three-score and ten that the Lord gave you; it's all you've got.

Re: I need advice... #49127
09/14/03 12:53 AM
09/14/03 12:53 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Sara I can just imagine what a hard decision it must be for you to make. However I do believe like the others have said you can still keep in touch with them at other times. You and most of the others are very correct in that Pathfinders should not be held on Sabbath. You and Daryl gave some excellent reasons why they should not.

With the love and passion you have for Pathfinders I know with prayer and letting God lead you will find a way that will work for you and your family.

Just a side note: Just because the whole church passes a certain thing does not mean that what has been passed is right. If what has been passed is not right and a person decides not to participate in this then Praise God they are standing for what it right and not just blindly following after what the church has all agreed to do. Our only authority comes from what God tells us to do. We should of course follow what the church has set down, as long as it correct. We do know that before it is all over that the majority of the world will be against us. Who knows that maybe some of us will have to be tested on deciding to obey God or obey what the "church" says.

Isaiah 8:20
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!