HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49211
02/05/04 12:24 PM
02/05/04 12:24 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Avalee wrote:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

There it is plain as day. If you do not realy love Jesus you will not keep the commandments. You can not get any plainer than this.

Avalee

Unquote.

And later John said:

John 15
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 John 3
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

It is plain as day that the commandment we should keep is “love one another" and not the "Ten Commandments."

In His love

James S.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49212
02/05/04 01:10 PM
02/05/04 01:10 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Will wrote:

James,
quote:

James 2:18
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Looks like this goes against your false doctrine James. You do violence against the Word of God

God Bless,
Will

Unquote.

Is it hard to understand my views that you must say those things?

I clearly presented that those who lived with faith and walked after the Spirit would produce fruits of the Spirit, which is love to their fellowman; that is the works of faith. But these “fruits” is not obedience to the Ten Commandments through keeping and obeying it, but it is a natural outflow of the hearts filled with the love of God that seeks no self. Christ believer is enabled to love his fellowman because he has the love of God that seeks no self imparted in his heart by the Spirit; he is unable to love his fellowman because his heart is still selfish, he still loved himself more.

I see the way you believe that your fruits of the Spirit is obedience to the Ten Commandments, which I disagree. Because I believe that to love our fellowman is a natural outflow of hearts filled by the love of God that was shed abroad by the Spirit and not an effort to be righteous by obeying the Ten Commandments.

May be you didn’t understand that NOT KEEPING THE TEN COMMANDMENTS doesn’t mean BREAKING WHAT IS WRITTEN THERE. How could he transgress the thing written in the Ten Commandments when the love of God ruled his heart? Isn’t love the fulfillment of the law? This believer may have deeds that conforms the law requirements without coming under its jurisdiction, for to love his fellowman as the requirements written on stone tablets is not his effort through obedience but A NATURAL OUTFLOW FROM HEARTS FILLED WITH THELOVE OF GOD.

Can you have the love of God through obedience to the law? NO! Otherwise Christ doesn’t need to come and died for us. You could only have the love of God through faith, for it is a gift shed by the Spirit.

When you have the love of God shed abroad in your heart by the Spirit through faith as a gift, is it necessary for you to come under the Ten Commandments’ jurisdiction and judgment? Is it necessary for you to keep and obey an external law? Why should you? Isn’t love the fulfillment of the Ten Commandments? If it is, then you would do what is written in the law without giving any attention for it, because you do it naturally. That is what is meant by: God wrote his law in our heart.; you didn’t need an external law to guide you to do what the law demands, you do it from within your hearts, overflowed with the love of God that seeks no self.

In His love

James S.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49213
02/05/04 01:14 PM
02/05/04 01:14 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Will wrote:

James,
quote:

James 2:10-12
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Can you elaborate on the above verses from James 2:10-12. What is being said here?

God Bless,
Will

Unquote.

I have presented and clarified this verse many times here, even to you too, but unless you forget it, I would repeat it again.

James has mentioned earlier that we must love our fellowman without showing favoritism, if we show favoritism, it means we don’t have love to our fellowman, we are still selfish.

Then he used the Ten Commandments as a COMPARISON; those who said they kept the whole law but offended one of it, has broken the whole law. He must act and do as what he claimed himself to be. The same with those who said they loved their fellowman but shows favoritism, indeed they didn’t have love to their fellowman but selfish people.

James mentioned also that the law of liberty that gives freedom, the royal law found in the Scripture is: Love your neighbor as yourself. He didn’t say that this law is the Ten Commandments.

After making comparison using the law of the Ten Commandments, he backed again to his speech about loving our fellow man without showing favoritism, for those who said so but shows favoritism would be judge according to it.

Why is “love” the law of liberty, the law that gives freedom? Because love, which is the principle of the law released us from being selfish, it gives freedom from the sin in us; our self-love nature.

Is the Ten Commandments a law that gives freedom, that gives liberty? No! Because this law condone slavery, being under the law would make sin dominates us, it strengthen the sin in us, our self-love nature to do the things required by the law to be righteous, but on the contrary, it increased our sins and at the end kills us. Therefore, according to Paul, the law written and engraved on stone is a law that kills, its ministry brought condemnation and death.

No man might ever be righteous before the law trough his obedience to be justified by the law unto eternal life, therefore, Christ came and died to redeem those who were under the law that justifies them unto eternal life. If righteousness come by the law, Christ died in vain.

It is hard to accept the truth that stands against what you are used to think and believed, same happen to me, but I am searching for the truth, and when it is a truth, no matter it stands against the Church doctrine or against EGW I accept it because it is the truth of the Gospel of Christ.

In His love

James S

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49214
02/06/04 04:14 AM
02/06/04 04:14 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1Jo 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jo 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jo 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jo 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

If a perons can read all the above scriptures and still teach the falsehood that the Ten Commandments are not binding today then I just do not know what else to say. It is so very plain that Jesus has told us what to do. The following verse is very plain.

Luk 18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

It was given before but it seems some want to just ignore what the Holy Scriptures are saying.

Mat 15:14

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49215
02/05/04 07:57 PM
02/05/04 07:57 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
James,
You have missed the whole point, and claim again what you preach is truth. A teachable heart many have and some don't I choose to learn what God reveals in His Word, and not cut out certain parts and ignore what the Bible as a whole teaches. You did just that trying to make sure that the book of James was inline with what Paul said.. It's really sick, but I prefer to use the whole Bible not just a few pages. I stand by faith what is written in the Bible in regards to these plain truths.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49216
02/05/04 11:54 PM
02/05/04 11:54 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
James said,

quote:
Is the Ten Commandments a law that gives freedom, that gives liberty? No!
The Bible says the precise opposite:

"I will walk at liberty: for I seek Thy precepts." Psalm 119:45
That the word "precepts" here means the Ten Commandments is so obvious as not to need any explanation; the whole of Psalm 119 is about the Ten Commandments.

[edit] More evidence that obedience to God's law makes men free indeed:

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Thy law is the truth." Psalm 119:142

"Thou art near, O Lord; and all Thy commandments are truth." Psalm 119:151

"Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." Romans 6:18

"My tongue shall speak of Thy word: for all Thy commandments are righteousness." Psalm 119:172

[ February 06, 2004, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: John ]

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49217
02/06/04 11:50 AM
02/06/04 11:50 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Manuscript 6a, 1886

We want to pray with David, "Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law" [Ps. 119:18]. Many close their eyes lest they shall see the truth. They do not want to see the defects in their life and character, and they are disturbed if you mention anything about God's law. In this they show that they have a human standard of their own; that their will is not the will of God. We want that you should not be deceived by Satan, the first great adversary of God's law. We want to bear in mind that God's law is the only standard by which He will judge man.

I have asked before and I ask again: Just which one of God's Ten Commandments is it that anyone has a problem with?

Which one of these do you want to do to your neighbor?

Do you want to murder someone? commit adultry? steal from someone? do you want to lie about someone? do you want what someone else has that you do not?

OR is it against God that you want to rebel?

Do you want to have other Gods besides God? do you want to make a graven image and bow down to it? or do you want to OR do you want to take the Lord's name in vain? OR do you want to just not keep the Sabbath?

Which one is it that anyone really wants to do and that is the reason they do not like the wonderous things that we can behold in God's law? How very very sad of people who talk this way about God's Law. They are doing a very great injustice to God and making a mockery of what Jesus came and suffered in this world for. I pray that those of you who are so deceived that you will open up your minds to the truth of the scriptures.

Psa 119:18
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49218
02/06/04 03:13 PM
02/06/04 03:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, I can relate to what you´re saying. I hate it when I fall. But the reason is always the same - I took my eyes off Jesus. That simplifies things. Instead of listing all the reasons why I failed it all boils down to the one and the same thing - I took my eyes off Jesus.

When we fail it is dangerous to assume anything else other than we took our eyes off Jesus. If we attempt to figure out why we failed based on this or that thing we did or didn´t do (as if anything other than keeping our eyes on Jesus counts) then we are going to get ourselves in trouble. There is no temptation too difficult for God to help us resist unto His honor and glory - regardless of whether or not we forgot to do this or that thing.

Yes, there are things we can and must do daily in order not to fail. Diet, Bible study, scripture songs, avoiding bad influences, etc. and much more are important and necessary. However, the purpose of these things is to help us keep our eyes on Jesus. They have no real intrinsic value otherwise.

If and when we fail we cannot conclude - It´s because I didn´t get enough sleep, or I ate too late last night, or I forgot devotions this morning, or I didn´t quote the right text when tempted, etc. The reason why we fail is because we take our eyes off Jesus. Period! Whether or not we do or don´t do this or that important thing failing has nothing to do with anything other than we took our eyes off Jesus.

We must never believe that failing or succeeding depends on what we do or don´t do. Our success depends on one thing only - Jesus! In the heat of temptation we must focus on one thing - Jesus, not on whether or not I need to do this or that thing to resist. If we make Jesus the focus of our attention we will walk away victorious. But if we make this or that thing our focus then we have already failed.

In the heat of temptation we must walk with Jesus in our minds eye. If we flee to Him and spend time with Him we are victorious. But we must not flee to Jesus and beg Him to help us overcome our present temptation. Nor should we flee to Him and beg Him to empower us to behave in the opposite way of our present temptation. If we make temptation or righteousness the purpose of our spending time with Jesus then we are focusing on behaviour and not Jesus.

If we focus on behviour then we are not spending time with Jesus. Instead we´re using Him to help ourselves. It´s like we´re Jesus´pimp or something, and we´re using Him for our own selfish purposes. Not good. The only way we can successfully resist temptation unto the honor and glory of God is to spend time with Jesus as with a friend - not as His pimp.

As we show an interest in Him and what matters to Him we will become so absorbed with how awesome He is that the present temptation will lose all its power and appeal. That´s the only true victory. The victory has to do with walking with Jesus as with a friend - not so much that we didn´t sin. If all we do is not sin then we are unprofitable servants.

God is good. Thank you Jesus.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49219
02/16/04 11:27 AM
02/16/04 11:27 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Avalee.

To comment on your post dated 05 February:

When the Old Testament people said about the law, I knew they meant it with the laws engraved on stone tablets and what Moses wrote.

When Paul, John and James wrote about the law to be kept, I didn’t see it as the Ten Commandments, but “love your fellowman as your self.”

I know that I am right about this.

In His love

James S.

Re: Can we live a Spotless Life? Is it possible? #49220
02/16/04 11:30 AM
02/16/04 11:30 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Will.

Sorry, but I have presented what is true, meanwhile, I see that what you wrote is not the truth.

In His love

James S.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!