HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,117 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49641
10/05/05 08:59 PM
10/05/05 08:59 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
People don't seem to be dressing up for church like they used to, therefore, is dressing up for church really necessary and important?

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49642
10/05/05 09:22 PM
10/05/05 09:22 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Necessary? Probobly not.

A good idea? Yeah.

I always want to look my best to meet God in His house. But some may not feel that way or may not have the means to do so.

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49643
10/06/05 12:21 AM
10/06/05 12:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Our first elder doesn't think so. It seems like a lack of respect to me not to.

There's so many other things to worry about, I don't make a bid deal about it, however.

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49644
10/06/05 12:37 AM
10/06/05 12:37 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
"Dressing up" is a cultural and personal thing. We all have our own ideas what it means. For some it means a 3 piece suit, wing tip shoes, tie, tie clasp, etc. For others it means dress slacks, tieless shirt and walking/hiking shoes (since the person wearing them walks to church many times)

Should we dress nicely (modest, clean and neat) for church? IMHO yes, as a sign of respect for God and our fellow worshipers.

Redfog

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49645
10/06/05 02:04 PM
10/06/05 02:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
How would one dress for an audience with the president in the White House? Also, if you dress nice for a wedding, why does God deserve less? On the other hand, we must remember that we are worshiping God, not having a fashion show. We are goint to meet the King of the Universe, and should dress adequately for that occasion, but our clothes should not call attention to ourselves.

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49646
10/06/05 07:22 PM
10/06/05 07:22 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Therefore, is there a general expectation on how we should dress up for church?

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49647
10/06/05 08:57 PM
10/06/05 08:57 PM
S
Stephanie Suranyi  Offline
Charter Member
near Chicago, IL , USA
What would any of you say to the following situations?

1. A young woman just lost everything she owns, all but a few items of clothing, none of which are what most people would consider "church clothes." She has a pair of clean blue jeans, but there are small holes in the knees. She has a couple of shirts, but they have stains on them. He shoes are ripped, her sockes have holes in them. She wants to attend church on Sabbath morning. She is staying with her cousin, who lives in a different town. How would you treat this young woman if she entered your church?

2. A truck driver is stopped for the weekend. He normally sleeps in his truck to save on expenses. He has a nice pair of jeans and a flannel shirt (it is wintertime) but they are not ironed, so they are wrinkled, because his space is limited and he doesn't have the extra money available to iron his clothes on Friday, so they will look nice on Sabbath morning. What is your reaction when he walks through the door?

3. A businessman is traveling over the weekend. He has a nice suit packed away for Sabbath. He checks into his hotel, but he has just enough time to check in, then eat before the Sabbath hours start. Not enough time to get his suit pressed for Sabbath. He arrives at your church in his wrinkled, but clean suit. How do you react?

Now, suppose that they all arrived together? What if we found out that they are all related, but the cousin mentioned in scenario one has a very small living space, so the business had to get a hotel room because there was nowhere for him to sleep? And the trucker slept in his truck because, 1. no room in the cousin's place and 2. he got in so late that he didn't want to disturb anyone.

Would you treat any of these people differently? Of course, you wouldn't necessarily know the various scenarios until you spoke with the people. What would be your first reaction? Would you change your opinion once you knew what was going on?

I think it is important to dress in the BEST YOU HAVE! Not necessarily wearing THE BEST clothes, but wearing the best you have. And, I think we should reserve judgment because we don't know EVERY situation! Don't assume that someone is being disrespectful because he/she isn't wearing a nice suit or dress. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides, how do you know that you aren't being TESTED when these people come for a visit????

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49648
10/06/05 09:47 PM
10/06/05 09:47 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
Daryl: "Therefore, is there a general expectation on how we should dress up for church?"

My own general expectation is that we should normally dress modestly, cleanly, healthily and neatly for church. We may or may not dress nicer than in everyday life.

Or are you asking the specifics of what we should be wearing to church? I think that would be a impossible question to answer. Depending on the type of church, location, average age of the members, season etc. There are areas of the world where going to church barefooted is normal, in some very hot non air conditioned churches in the US shorts on men are normal (or so I've been told). A liberal church will dress more casual than will a conservative one. If you walk to church, as I often do, then you will be wearing nice walking shoes. If you are taking part in the service you might dress differently than if you are sitting in the pews. The list of variables is endless.

Redfog

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49649
10/06/05 09:50 PM
10/06/05 09:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Remembering somewhere that the clothes God cares about are the ones He Himself provides to everyone for free. To be honest, we are dressing up not for God but for the other members of the congregation. God asks for mercy and compassion.

/Thomas

Re: Is Dressing Up For Church Really Necessary & Important? #49650
10/06/05 11:38 PM
10/06/05 11:38 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Let me present another scenario:

I go to church in the same casual clothes I use at home. I have better clothes to wear, however, I choose to wear the same casual clothes I wear at home.

With the above scenario in mind, is it, therefore, ok for me to wear the same casual clothes at church that I wear around the house, or does it matter?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!