HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52718
04/03/04 12:10 AM
04/03/04 12:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lobo, would you mind addressing the rest of my post? Then I would be better able to answer your questions. Thank you.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52719
04/03/04 09:21 AM
04/03/04 09:21 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Mike.

From your last post to me, I got the impression that you believe in:

1. Salvation (Christ’ redemption) is a gift
2. Qualification for heaven is also a gift.

So, both salvation and justification is a gift.

I completely agree with you; Christ imputed righteousness and his imparted righteousness is all gifts to us, by believing it we accept those gifts.

Now, what is my part in all this?

Believing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and live by the Spirit, or believing the Gospel of Christ and live by the law?

What I understand and believe is that with living by the Spirit, I would have fruits of the Spirit and a justification by faith at the end that qualifies me for heaven. On the contrary by living for self I would have deeds of the flesh that disqualifies me for heaven.

My part to seek a place in heaven is just FAITH in Christ and God would do the rest.

That’s why Christ said ’if you have faith as big as the seed of ……… (I forgot the name), you may move one mountain from its place to another place.” But is there any one on earth that has moved a mountain from its place to another place? What I knew that Joshua has prayed with faith that the sun may stay still and it happened.

Therefore, even though my part is only faith, but not many really understand what faith is and how to live with faith in order to be justified for heaven.

In this relation, I didn’t see that by obeying the law, I have true faith. Why? Because I can’t help stop thinking that my righteousness is at least spoiled with “selfish motives.” I must keep the law, I must keep the Sabbath holy, I must not eat unclean foods, I must not have covetous desire, etc; all these gives me a feeling of bondage, I am OBLIGE to do these all.

I really think and believe that true faith gives freedom and joy and happiness. There should be no pressures such as obligation, responsibility, covetous desires even for a holly living or righteous behavior.

Therefore, being under the law’s jurisdiction I feel obliged to do it, where keeping the Sabbath holy as according to the law is bondage. I feel that by sacrificing my job and all other business activity or even my favorite TV show on Sabbath day in order I may keep the Sabbath holy as according to the law is not showing my love to God but showing my fear for breaking the law.

While I must admit that the other nine commandments don’t give me the feeling of bondage, for it is all connected with love.

That is my problem, do you know the solution?

So, I still study and search the bible, is it really true that Christians after the cross are obliged to keep and obey the law of the Ten Commandments? Is it really automatically whenever a man accept Jesus Christ by faith and baptized he comes under the law’s jurisdiction with the obligation to keep and obey it all?

In His love

James S.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52720
04/03/04 06:06 PM
04/03/04 06:06 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
James,
What was annuled by the grace of God? It couldn't have been just 1 commandment out of the 10 since the Holy SPirit would not lead someone to believe a lie, so there must be something.. These differences are found in the New Testament of Jesus Christ and the Old Testament of Jesus Christ.

Can you tell me what those differences are?

God Bless & Shabbat Shalom,
Will

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52721
04/03/04 06:42 PM
04/03/04 06:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, I very much enjoyed reading your last post. Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that we must avoid making not sinning or righteous behaviour the central focus of our walk with Christ. A sin-centered faith is a works oriented religion, which denies the Lord who bought them.

Neither should we make the law of God the focus of our attention. Anything that takes His place in our hearts and minds is an enemy of the soul. This can include Bible study and prayer if we make them more important than Jesus Himself. There was a time in my walk when I spent more time studying the Bible and praying than I did fellowshipping with Jesus as with a friend. Sounds strange, but it its true.

I can relate to the problem you're having with keeping the sabbath and not getting caught up and over burdened with the do's and don'ts. It can make sabbath keeping seem like we are trying to work our way to heaven or to earn God's favor. And that stinks, big time.

But I have also wrestled in the past with this same problem regarding the other commandments. Sometimes resisting certain kinds of temptations can seem like I'm trying to merit salvation by works of self-righteousness.

For example, I used to find it hard to resist the urge to retaliate when a trucker pulled out in front of me on a hill to pass another slow moving truck. I was tempted to get in front of him and slow way down just to screw up his momentum. Of course, I would decide against it because Jesus said, Vengeance in mine.

But what a warped way of thinking, eh! Over the years, and praise the Lord, I have learned to appreciate truckers and their need to keep up their speed on hills. My perspective changed so that now I am no longer disturbed when a trucker pulls out in front of me, in fact, I even flash my headlights to let him know it's okay.

I mention this personal issue to illustrate what Jesus did to set me free. I am convinced getting impatient or upset with people is wrong and unchristlike whether I can justify their actions or not. In other words, I do not feel like I need to understand their behaviour in order to resist getting mad at them.

In Christ, it is my privilege to love everyone, the good, the bad and the ugly. I do not have to rationalize loving the unlovely or figure out a way to excuse their actions so I can justify loving them. Never again, thank you Jesus. Now I am free to love everyone because Jesus is in my heart. No more rediculous games. Just pure love, plain and simple.

Now, back to the sabbath question. In Christ, I am no longer distracted by the do's and don'ts of lawful sabbath keeping. Fellowshipping with Jesus on the sabbath is such a blessing that I don't even notice the do's and don'ts. They're not an issue for me any more. Thank you Jesus. I look forward to sharing the sabbath hours with Jesus. Things get so busy during the week that I welcome a break from them on the sabbath.

I no longer view the sabbath in terms of what I can and can't do. That just makes sabbath keeping a bummer and a sin. If we can't wait for the sabbath to end, or if we regret it when it begins, then we are guilty of breaking the whole law, not just the sabbath commandment. Remember, the ten commandments are one law, not ten.

If we hate sabbath keeping then we are in essence saying we hate spending quality time with Jesus. Because that's what sabbath keeping is all about. It's not about what we can and cannot do, rather the sabbath is a divine date with God. I love my wife and look forward to seeing her whenever we're apart for more than an hour, and that's how I feel about the sabbath.

Not that I can't spend quality time with God throughout the six working days of the week, it's just that on the sabbath I don't have to divide my time between working and fellowshipping with Jesus. I absolutely love the unspoiled time I spend with Him on the sabbath.

Does that make sense to you?

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52722
04/05/04 10:43 PM
04/05/04 10:43 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
quote:

Therefore, being under the law’s jurisdiction I feel obliged to do it, where keeping the Sabbath holy as according to the law is bondage. I feel that by sacrificing my job and all other business activity or even my favorite TV show on Sabbath day in order I may keep the Sabbath holy as according to the law is not showing my love to God but showing my fear for breaking the law.

While I must admit that the other nine commandments don’t give me the feeling of bondage, for it is all connected with love.

Wow James, excellent points.

I believe the sabbath “feels” like bondage because it has no inherent moral value like not killing, not committing adultery, etc. All the other 9 have direct negative impacts on our fellow man. And showing love for our fellow man does not seem like bondage when we have the new heart of a believer.

However, how does the sabbath effect our fellow man? How does it affect God? How do we keep it?

The problem is, as I see it, that the sabbath was designed as a ceremonial item. It had many regulations that again, were ceremonial. So how do we even determine what of the sabbath requirements we should keep? And, how can we even determine that? For the sabbath to be really kept shouldn’t we keep all its requirements and not just those we want to?

Here are the sabbath requirements:

The Sabbath Offering (Num. 28:9)
Not to go beyond city limits (Exo. 16:29)
Not to punish (Exo. 35:3)
Kept from sunset to sunset (Lev. 23:32)
No burden was to be carried (Jer. 17:21)
No fire kindled (Ex. 35:3)
No Cooking done (Ex. 16:23)
The penalty for doing any of these things during the Sabbath was DEATH (Numbers 15).

So if we are truly sincere about keeping the sabbath, shouldn’t we keep the day as it was given? If we don’t keep it the way it was given, then is it really the sabbath or just some day we have designed and not God?

Also, looking at the laws regarding the sabbath, most all are ceremonial in nature and have no moral implications to love for man.

So why I feel that it may seem a burden is that it is ceremonial in nature and doesn’t have intrinsic (self contained) moral implications that the other 9 laws do. The moral implications of the sabbath have to be applied and inferred, but are not naturally continued.

Lastly, if you are doing anything out of fear, that means you are leading the holy spirit, and he is not leading you. When you follow the holy spirit you do it because it is a natural expression of your faith, not because you are afraid. So don’t anything out of fear means that you are trying to work your way to heaven.

Understand?

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52723
04/06/04 01:13 PM
04/06/04 01:13 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Mike.

Thanks for your post that shone bright light.

So, do you think, whenever we are free from selfish motives, all what we have in our hearts is to share this love to God and men.

Sabbath keeping is no longer a “don’t and do” but a loving sharing relationship with Jesus who loves me so much that he wants die for me in pain and humiliation in order I may live.

I think that is the best solution, freedom in obedience because the source is unselfish love.

But I really think that this kind of faith and acceptance is very personal. We must really be freed from “self” in order we may enjoy this kind of relationship where obedience is no longer a burden and obligation but an expression of love.

Yeah, Jesus gives us freedom, freedom to live, freedom to choose, freedom to love him more than self. The only problem is: Can we accept this freedom through faith? Do we have enough faith to enjoy this relationship?

Looking from this perspective I think Sabbath keeping is no longer a bondage and slavery. What do you think?

In His love.

James S.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52724
04/06/04 01:17 PM
04/06/04 01:17 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Lobo.

You are right, but I think we feel Sabbath keeping as a bondage or slavery because we feel that we must do it perfectly in order for not breaking it.

But when we loved Jesus really, he would release us from this feeling and sense of bondage. It is a day of joy and happiness, sharing love and attention which others and with Jesus.

Thus, I think we must live with faith and love would rule our hearts where the Ten Commandments is no longer a bondage and slavery but fruits of the Spirit. No more a means to be justified, no more a means to be qualified for heaven, no more a means for self righteousness, but an expression of our faith and love.

What do you think?

In His love

James S

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52725
04/08/04 04:23 PM
04/08/04 04:23 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
James,

You are right on the mark wih your last post for Jesus Himself said that if we love Him then we will display that we love Him by keeping His commandments, however, if we don't love him, then there really isn't any sense in keeping them.

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52726
04/08/04 09:14 PM
04/08/04 09:14 PM
L
Lobo  Offline
SW Washington State
James,

I agree that our intent or motives for doing something makes all the difference. But you stated “But when we loved Jesus really, he would release us from this feeling and sense of bondage. It is a day of joy and happiness, sharing love and attention which others and with Jesus.”

If that is the case, then why would we not take more than one day to common with Jesus and experience this joy?

Also, either we keep the sabbath as given in the bible or it’s not the sabbath. I don’t believe WE can decide what to do in this regard as that was not an option given in scripture.

So what I’m saving is that if you keep the sabbath as you described you are not keeping it as given in the tables of stone. And if that is the case, what does it matter what day you experience this communion with Jesus on? If we don’t keep all the rules for the actual sabbath, then we can legitimately say that Wednesday or Tuesday will be our day to commune with God, right?

So to clarify, what I’m saying is that if you remove the rules or sabbath observance requirements, it is no longer the sabbath of the ten commandments, it’s something else.

What do you think?

quote:

James,

You are right on the mark wih your last post for Jesus Himself said that if we love Him then we will display that we love Him by keeping His commandments, however, if we don't love him, then there really isn't any sense in keeping them.

Daryl, please explain that statement in light of the fact that you are not keeping all the sabbath requirements? So how can you say that pleases Jesus? Also, how can you even imply that our behavior in anyway could ever please Jesus as scripture states that that is not true?

Re: Does God's Grace Annul His Law? #52727
04/09/04 01:26 AM
04/09/04 01:26 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lobo,

I am referring specifically to the Sabbath of the 4th Commandment, and the instructions given there, nothing more and nothing less.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!