HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,329 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seabird-watching #53148
11/10/00 07:23 PM
11/10/00 07:23 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I actually like to read the postings and think about how I have had similar experiences. What better place to start being involved than in talking about nature. We don't need any background in anything but life to know about nature. So here goes...

I am originally from Nova Scotia, moved to Newfoundland in 1995, then New Brunswick in 1999. My interest in the great outdoors has always been there, but it was when I met my husband, Dedreic, in NF, that I found someone to appreciate it with.

The first time I took notice of birds (besides the squawking blue jays that woke me up frequently)was when I first saw shorebirds feeding on invertebrates in the piles of wrack on the shores of Bon Portage Island of the southern tip of Nova Scotia. It is simply amazing how they fatten their little bodies so quickly for the long flight ahead. I am surprised they can get off the ground. I think what caught my attention was the larger numbers that shore birds tend to travel in. Easier to detect than one little bird.

The first summer I was in NF, my husband was hired to be a field assistant on a sea bird colony in Witless Bay. I never thought a whole lot about it. He showed me pictures and the birds were cute, but it wasn't until the next summer that I went to the the island with him for 5 days...WOW! What an exciting experience. There were thousands of birds- puffins, murres, petrels, gulls, razorbills, kittiwakes! He actually lived with the birds. I was quite impressed. Now that was birdwatching.

There were so many fascinating things about the birds. The distinct sound of each species, their flight patterns, the nest location, the communication between pairs, defending their nests, social behavior, the precious chicks, food-begging by chicks, etc.

And the pictures came alive. It was fun to sit and try to get a picture of a puffin with a capelin in it's bill.

Dedreic and I have since left NF. We managed to get in some seabird watching by going on boat trips, but it's not quite the same as living with the birds.

Fortunately Dedreic has taken up research again on the colonial seabirds, this time on Machias Seal Island in the Gulf of Maine. His species of interest is the Razorbill Auk. Some say the Razorbill is the King of the Colony. They are pretty spiffy looking birds. I have spent five days on this island. Most of same species again plus terns. They are pretty protective of their nests. And there are lots. I have had the chance to handle the birds during banding. It's amazing to hold them and feel how warm they are. They don't particularly like being handle. They are so alive. Isn't that just wonderful!

I can honestly say that I have learned to enjoy nature more from seabird-watching. The thrill of watching the behavior of these cleaver little critters, for me is still greater than looking for different species of the much smaller passerines, but if I spent enough time watching I am sure the appreciation would also arise with them. I just find them a lot harder to find as they flit around so much and blend in. They too are beautiful though. One day I'll have backyard I can enough them from. For now I'll enjoy Islands.

Alas, if anyone else has interests in sea birds I would love to hear about them.

Lorelei

[This message has been edited by Lorelei.Grecian (edited November 11, 2000).]

Re: Seabird-watching #53149
11/10/00 09:02 PM
11/10/00 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hi!

I've usually lived near one of the Great Lakes.

I have always wanted to see a Puffin. I've only seen them on film or in photographs. Are they quite common on the coast? Do they keep the colour on their bills all year round or do they have a "dull" time of year?

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Re: Seabird-watching #53150
11/10/00 09:26 PM
11/10/00 09:26 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lorelei's husband, Dedreic, is giving us a slide presentation on sea-birds at Vespers this evening tieing it in with creation which should be interesting.

Daryl

Re: Seabird-watching #53151
11/11/00 12:02 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

That's an excellent idea for my next "power point" sermon. I've done the stars, today I'm doing "Gems From the New Jerusalem." Looks like my search engine will be emitting some smoke this week.

I'd love to hear how the "seabird" presentation goes.

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: Seabird-watching #53152
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Good morning & happy Sabbath "A".

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Seabird-watching #53153
11/11/00 10:52 PM
11/11/00 10:52 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hi, Pastor Andrew!

Puffins live on coastal islands usually in large colonies. They go there only to breed (~3.5 months) thus spend the better part of the year at sea. Witless Bay Ecological Reserve in Newfoundland has the biggest population of Puffins in Canada with about 250000 pairs. Machias Seal Island 18 km off the coast of Maine and 18 km South of Grand Manan Island of New Brunswick has about 4400 pairs. They are other areas in the Maritimes where you can see them, but I am not sure how numerous they are.

They have their colorful bill for the breeding season. The big colorful portion falls off and they have a much smaller pointed black bill.

The largest seabird colonies in this area are protected by the federal government. In NF you can only see the birds from the tour boats. At Machias Seal Island, a limited number of people can actually go on the island, sit in the blinds, take pictures and observe the birds.

Puffins are a very interesting little creature to observe behavior. They are very social. If you do get the opportunity to see them in person, you won't be disappointed.

Lorelei

[This message has been edited by Lorelei.Grecian (edited November 11, 2000).]

Re: Seabird-watching #53154
11/12/00 08:10 PM
11/12/00 08:10 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Thank you for that account of Puffins Lorelei! I'm proud to be a Canadian and be able to be the country that hosts those magnificent species of bird.

Wouldn't it be wild if there were Penguins up here too?!

By the way, hi Ed! It's Sunday now. Sorry to miss you on Sabbath. I tend to act like a firefly in these forums, flickering in and out to do my "enlightening."

------------------

Pastor Andrew

------------------

I am correcting some spelling errors, most likely typo errors before Cathy does it.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 12, 2000).]

Re: Seabird-watching #53155
11/12/00 11:08 PM
11/12/00 11:08 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Since we are talking about puffins here, I thought I would add it as a picture icon as you can see here in this post.

Daryl

Re: Seabird-watching #53156
11/13/00 02:25 PM
11/13/00 02:25 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Great Daryl!

I just hope all of these personal requests for graphics don't become an electronic albatross...Just wait for my picture!

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: Seabird-watching #53157
11/13/00 05:33 PM
11/13/00 05:33 PM
L
Lorelei Grecian  Offline
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Hi, Pastor Andrew!

My husband is actually going to travel to south America to be a lecturer on a cruise ship that tours the islands of Antarctic and sub-antarctic. He leaves this Sunday and is gone for six weeks.

He is holding back his excitement because I won't be going with him, but I know he will be thrilled to see the southern species that are similar to our Auks here in the North. He is hoping to see the King, Chinstrap, Adélie, Gentoo and Macaroni Penguins. I am sure he will have lots of pictures when he returns.

I will encourage him to share his adventure with us here on the Bird Watcher's forum.

------------------
Lorelei:)

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5

Re: Seabird-watching #53158
11/13/00 05:37 PM
11/13/00 05:37 PM
L
Lorelei Grecian  Offline
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Hi, Pastor Andrew!

Do you get any incidental gull or waterfowl species in Ontario? I know here on the east coast we get a few species from Europe when the wind blows a gale.

------------------
Lorelei

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5

[This message has been edited by Lorelei Grecian (edited November 13, 2000).]

Re: Seabird-watching #53159
11/15/00 02:53 PM
11/15/00 02:53 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Hi Lorelei!

I'll ask some more experienced bird watchers around here about this.
I have found some quite interesting species in our waters, especially around Christmastime.

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Re: Seabird-watching #53160
11/16/00 02:26 AM
11/16/00 02:26 AM
L
Lorelei Grecian  Offline
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Hi, Pastor Andrew!

Have you seen any caspian terns? They are the biggest tern species and they nest around the Great Lakes.

I hope to hear of some of the species you have around at Christmastime.

------------------
Lorelei:)

Re: Seabird-watching #53161
11/16/00 02:49 AM
11/16/00 02:49 AM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
I may have seen some around Niagara Falls when I lived there.

Once I saw three terns at the edge of the falls, not flying backwards or forwards (there was quite a headwind). They seemed to be enjoying the scenery as they stood still in the air.

------------------

Pastor Andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!