HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Favorite Walks/Hikes #53317
12/15/01 02:58 AM
12/15/01 02:58 AM
mikk  Offline OP
NSW, Australia
Thanks Zita for the more detailed description. Its very interesting to have a better picture in my mind of the hikes you described. Just wish there were room somewhere for photos - and even photo stories.
Now I'm starting a new thread where I hope others will share descriptions of their favorite hikes too. Maybe I should have put it in the Nature section rather than the birds - move it if you like!
On Sabbath morning I take my Red Cattle Dog and go for a walk up behind our house. We live in the Australian countryside and are lucky enough to have some bush (forest) country adjoining our place. At this time of the year I like to go early before it gets too warm – also, hopefully, before the snakes come out to bask in the sunshine. We have a lot of very big and very poisonous snakes around here!
I go through the back fence first and cross some open paddocks (fields) where my neighbor grazes a small herd of beef cattle. Right now there are two very small calves – so it’s better not to get to close to the very protective cows. Through another fence and then we are into the bush. The track I follow is in the bottom of a gully so it is moist and there is lush vegetation. It’s down here that I hear the little blue wrens (superb blue wren), and the even smaller finches (red-browed firetail). Sometimes I see them in the bushes as well as hear them but with my dog jumping around on his leash it’s a bit hard to stand still and watch.
As the trail turns up the hill I let the dog off and proceed at a more leisurely pace. He investigates off to both sides and comes back to check on me. The scents in the bush are lovely this early. Even my poor human nose can pick up a lot – so I imagine its even better for the dog’s nose! Going up the hill there is a place where foxes (an introduced pest!) cross the track. The scent is very strong this morning so they have crossed here recently. The dog of course is off to investigate. Then its down into another gully where a tiny creek winds among the rocks. Its dry now – but there is one small pool surrounded by rocks that still has water in it. There are always wrens down here as well – and the ferns are beautiful. Even on the hottest afternoons this small gully is cool. The breeze funnels down here from over the shoulder of the hill.
The track goes steeply up the side of the hill here. Its tinder dry up here now, and small creatures rustle as I pass. This is the part of the track where I’ve seen goannas – big lizards – although the ones I’ve seen right here have only been 2-3 feet in length. They go up the nearest tree as soon as they hear us – and are even smart enough to disappear around the other side of the tree trunk.
The track home follows a higher and drier route. There are glimpses of the sea out to the east, and its color may be silver, clear blue, or gray – depending on the sky and how early I am up there. Up in this part of the bush I see and hear various kinds of parrots, magpies, whip birds, currawongs, and crows. We occasionally see a wallaby up here too – but most have the sense to stay out of the way! Not that the dog ever catches anything – he’s far too slow and out of condition!
This is a great way to start a Sabbath morning. I’m home with plenty of time for a shower and breakfast – then off to SS where I wonder why so many are still yawning!!

Re: Favorite Walks/Hikes #53318
12/15/01 07:25 AM
12/15/01 07:25 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Mikk, that was a great Sabbath morning walk!

I am happy to leave our hiking site here as birds are mentioned! so thanks for starting it off with such an interesting description.

Here of course, we don't have the foxes or the snakes, so it is quite safe to walk in the bush.

This coming Januray will be the 3rd year that I have taken to the hills, so my two dogs are in good shape.

It's the rabbits they go for. We can be walking along a trail and come across sheep grazing and they don't turn a hair. And one is a boarder collie who will round up the ducks on the river if given half a chance!
Of course I have tained them 'not to touch' and can take them anywhere.
The other dog, a labxfoxy, thinks he can go down rabbit holes. Had a few scares when he was younger when he couldn't get out again! as his body is a lab, but has the foxy bark and the jumping in your face - something that was impossible to cure him of.

That was a lovely hike to go on,my dogs only got 10 min this morning as I needed to be at church early to practice with the other musician.

Tomorrow is the commemorative walk over the Bridle Track from the Harbour to the Plains of Canterbury. There is a church service in the 1st church built overlooking the Harbour. It was to be the 1st church of Canterbury, but the people built a large stone Cathedral in the centre of the plains, which is now our town square.
Not sure if I will go, as the heat of the day at 9.30 am would be a little overwhelming. I prefer my 6am start, the best time of the day for birdwatching.

Re: Favorite Walks/Hikes #53319
01/16/02 04:36 AM
01/16/02 04:36 AM
Zita  Offline
Yesterday was very significant for me.
My friend drove me to my favourite hiking track, and I managed to climb up almost to the 1st bend. Short on time, I sat on a rock and drank in the peace. 1st time sonce I broke my wrist.
I also learned I could now drive the Automatic, but the dogs arn't allowed in that car, or I would be off every day!

Re: Favorite Walks/Hikes #53320
04/27/02 08:14 AM
04/27/02 08:14 AM
Zita  Offline
Since I posted this, I have purchased my own automatic/ps hatchback, so the dogs and I can go anywhere now!

which takes me to the Botanical Gardens on Friday morning. Being Autumn here now the trees in the gardens are simply magnificent to walk under. I reached an area where they have created a new walkway and built a stone suround the length of the creek. I couldn't believe my eyes! There was a mother duck with 8 tiny babies - and it's only Autumn???
Wondering how they are going to survive a cold harsh winter.

Re: Favorite Walks/Hikes #53321
04/30/02 03:46 AM
04/30/02 03:46 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I hope you will give us updates on this.

Re: Favorite Walks/Hikes #53322
05/11/02 09:27 AM
05/11/02 09:27 AM
Zita  Offline
Daryl, I was in the gardens again this week, sitting by the Avon River that flows through the City, and along came a mother duck with 5 babies.

So there is more than one Mother duck with her seasons mixed up!

We are experiencing an Indian Summer, so I am hoping the weather holds a little longer till the ducklings get a little bigger.

Today I cam home from church with George.

George is a beautiful Red Factor Canary, a very lovely addition to my avery.
I am keeping him in his cage and sitting him out in the avery during the day, bringing him in at night until he gets used to being out there.

If it were summer, I would just leave him out, but must do things carefully so he doesn't get a chill this time of year.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!