HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,289 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Where do you enjoy nature? #53515
11/06/00 03:01 AM
11/06/00 03:01 AM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA

I’d like to introduce myself as your moderator here by telling you about the beautiful location in which I am blessed to be situated, where I can enjoy nature simply by walking out my door. I live 13 miles north of Battle Creek (yes, the Battle Creek) in rural Barry County Michigan. Barry County holds the distinction of being the county with the highest proportion of wetlands in the entire state of Michigan. (In other words, we have a lot of swamps around here, which unfortunately means we also have a lot of mosquitoes. But we must take the bad with the good on this old earth, right?) Yankee Springs State Recreation Area, located not far from us, contains perhaps the only peat bog in Michigan, though I can’t say that for sure. I have been into the bog, but have not hiked the Devil’s Soupbowl, also in Yankee Springs.

Our house is small by today’s standards, but it’s big enough for us, and the location more than makes up for any shortage of room. The back of our 2 ½ acres is bordered by a creek, the banks of which are abundant with quaking aspen, staghorn sumac, and wild raspberry. If you look closely at the area, you will also find wild grapevines twining among the trees. We mow only the front acre, allowing the “back 40” to grow wild, so we can enjoy the many wildflowers – goldenrod, sweet pea, black-eyed Susan, and many others in their seasons. Our clay soil creates flooding problems in our yard, but that has its positive side also. This year, we had enough rain that our yard remained flooded the entire summer, and by August, the appearance of some attractive wetland plants that had never grown there before rewarded our inconvenience. (Oops! Purple loosestrife is supposed to be a bad guy, but it sure was pretty!) Besides, the nearest mating pair of mallards has occasionally decided to spend some time on our temporary pond during past early spring mornings, where we were able to enjoy them for quite some time through the large bedroom window at the end of the hall.

While our property is located right on busy M-37 Highway, the main trucking route between Battle Creek and Grand Rapids, we are at its intersection with a very little-used country dirt road. This is where I walk every day. Just past our creek, there is a house on either side of the road, then not another one until the next intersecting road, a whole mile away! This first mile passes between fields, then through woods containing a good-sized pond or two, some years. I make a left turn at that next road, where my second mile passes through meadow and wetlands. There are more houses along that mile, but most are far enough from the road, and hidden by trees, to remain unnoticed. Sometimes I can walk the entire 2 miles out and back, without meeting so much as a single motor vehicle, though usually I’ll encounter a few. But they are people who live along the road, who have come to recognize me in the 2 years that I have been walking this road daily, and most of them wave at me.

Last year, to celebrate our 20th anniversary, my husband and I traveled to Kentucky, where we visited relatives he hadn’t seen since he was a child, and spent entire days hiking the foothills and touring Mammoth Cave. I took somewhere between 6 and 10 rolls of film of the incredible natural beauty I saw there, yet when I returned to my own place, I looked around me with a new appreciation for my own corner of the earth, which is every bit as beautiful, in its own way.

I hope you have enjoyed this description of my home area. Now I would like to hear from the rest of you nature lovers. Please tell all of us about the place where you are blessed to enjoy nature most often.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Oops! Where would I be without the aide of my computer geek sons to tell me what I did wrong?!

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited June 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited August 24, 2001).]

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53516
02/04/01 04:08 AM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Here is a photo one of my sons took in our backyard, more specifically, of the wild raspberry bramble and staghorn sumac at the creek bank.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53517
Z
Zorillo2001  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Nashville, TN, USA
I am able to enjoy some of God's creation even in my back yard. We are adjacent to some forest area and frequently see deer, occassionally see wild turkeys. Many different kind of birds too.

God is good!

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53518
02/04/01 09:44 PM
02/04/01 09:44 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi Zorillo2001

What part of Nashville do you live at? We used to live in Madison, Old Hickory, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Rayon City, started out in the Brick Church Pike Apartments off of Brick Church Pike.

Used to work @ Madison Hosp., Nashville Memorial Hosp, St Thomas Hosp, Herrndon & Merry - Wrought Iron (made things from plain to fancy stuff- like "First Lady Acres" gate for George Ritchey). Didn't even know who that was at the time, but we learned to watch out for silver-eagles on the dirt roads going to the park behind Old Hickory Lock & Dam.

Hope to hear from y'll soon.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited February 04, 2001).]

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53519
02/06/01 09:24 AM
02/06/01 09:24 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
I enjoy nature in so many ways, in so many places.
My own back yard is always a good starter.
Love watching the blackbirds leaping up at the fushia bushes to get the ripe berries.
Now I pick all the fushia berries off my other bushes around the yard and throw them under that bush, and they soon disappear!

Spending time with my own birds in my 2 averies is very rewarding.
Now that my cockatiel has completely recovered from the time he impaled himself, he is back to talking and whistling again - a joy to converse with him.

Today I was 4-wheel driving along the riverbed, and we stopped and watched a family of quail till they were out of site.
Whether I am up on the hillside,enjoying the rabbits,sheep or goats, or sitting in a cave watching the pidgeons fly up and down the valley, or the hawks flying on the aircurrents,or in a wildlife park sharing food with the farm animals - the lama always gives me a kiss! or in a rose garden, the absolute delight in our Creator God never wanes.Always there is a new suprise, something to Praise God for - His absolute beauty, and the preciousness of His creatures.

Be Still My soul.
Zita

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53520
02/06/01 09:26 PM
02/06/01 09:26 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Chatham is located in a part of Southern Ontario near the shallow waters of Lake Erie. Our climate is closer to that of the Carolinas than of much of the other locations at this latitude (including Michigan and New York). Some brave souls near the lake have even tried to plant palm trees. (It was successful for only a few years--I don't think they survived this winter).

We have Enligsh Holly bushes by the entrance of our front door. On the side of our fence hangs passion fruit. It grows like weeds in our area.

We'd plant cactus, but the pricks are too dangerous for our kids--who seem to like to touch everything!

So much for those who think Canada's only a land of ice and who take their skis here in July!

------------------
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Don't let yesterday's mistakes trouble you, nor tomorrow's fears spoil your day.

Pastor Andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited February 06, 2001).]

Re: Where do you enjoy nature? #53521
02/07/01 02:38 AM
02/07/01 02:38 AM
Z
Zorillo2001  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Nashville, TN, USA
Hi Edward. I live in Bellevue, way out by Natchez Trace Parkway. Moved here about 18 months ago and like it a lot. Have visited Madison and parts of Old Hickory but much more yet to explore. As you know, there is much here in terms of nature to appreciate.

What took you from Tenn to Ohio? Just out of curiousity, where / why did interest in sleep disorders originate.

Kevin

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!