HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,454 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mid-winter 'downunder' #53693
07/14/01 06:56 AM
07/14/01 06:56 AM
mikk  Offline OP
NSW, Australia
It's mid-winter here now. So far it hasn't been really cold yet - no big frosts at all! Our winter gets very colourful. About a month ago the first of the winter wattles (acacias) burst into bloom in the bush/forest. These were small trees scattered thru the forest as part of the understory and bright yellow all over with flowers. A lovely site. There are over 700 acacias varieties ranging from small trees to shrubs less than a metre tall. Then this week there is a small shrub about 2 metres tall all along the road-sides - and covered with a different shade of yellow. This is a link to a picture of a wattle tree in full bloom. http://www.austforever.com.au/flora/black_wattle.htm
Its too warm in this part of the country to get a really good display of spring bulbs - unless you 'trick' them by putting them into the refrigerator for a while!
The Creator has certainly provided beauty for all seasons down here on the earth. I like to wonder how He will put all these varieties into the perfect climate of the New Earth. May that wonderful day be soon!

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53694
07/15/01 12:53 AM
07/15/01 12:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen mikk!

by the way, I love the Australian flag! It is very beautiful.

God bless,
Wendy

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53695
07/15/01 03:22 AM
07/15/01 03:22 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I would love to live someplace where there are even flowers in the winter! You must not have such cold winters as we do here in Michigan - and it gets even colder in Canada!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53696
07/19/01 09:38 PM
07/19/01 09:38 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Mikk, I've lived through a lot of Sydney winters, and they were COLD! The nicest winters I ever experienced were in Bundaberg, Queensland. Cool, sunny days, no rain. Sometimes we'd need warmer clothing - like a long sleeved shirt! And the summers were relatively mild as well. The radio announcers used to tell us that the Encyclopaedia Brittanica had Bundaberg listed as the 7th best climate in the world, meaning very little variation in temperature, as well as a pleasant climate. Now I live in Brisbane, which isn't too bad, but the seasons are certainly more marked.
In this country there is such a diversity of climate, though. I have a friend in Adelaide, where the winters and summers are more extreme. He tells me it's a lovely day when the sun comes out, even if it's freezing. Rather like Melbourne, which I believe was a mistaken concept.
Snow is beautiful (I've never seen it, would you believe?) but I'd rather warm toes!
Winter foliage is beautiful, but the green leaves go a little greyer. A friend of mine in Missouri found it hard to believe that Australia doesn't have a "fall".

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53697
07/22/01 03:44 AM
07/22/01 03:44 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Unlike Australia, New Zealand does have a fall. The leaves make a wonderful mulch for the garden.
Right now I have one violet out, 2 pots of English snowdrops, and the winter roses, not to mention the Camelias,heathers and Polyanthus. Winter can be just as colourful if you plant in autumn, the only problem being the birds love to eat pansies and polyanthus.So I prefer to plant primula.
Zita

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53698
08/26/01 10:27 PM
08/26/01 10:27 PM
Zita  Offline
Midwinter I discovered that the 4 ltr plastic containers had been eaten away around the lid. They contained food for the avery. I realized that a mouse could never have reached, so there must be a rat! horrors, we had never had a rat before. Out came the bait, which was promptly eaten every day.
Then one day Allan and I were in the shed when we saw it! Allan shot out real fast, but I got a good glimpse of it. It was a very beautiful light brown colur, I wondered if it was someones pet.Behind the shed and garage we stored our winter wood in the dry, and I realized he was nesting in there.
Yesterday a found the nest as I cleared up at the end of our winter. It was a perfect ball of nesting material. Dry oak leaves and plastic sacking used. One small hole in the centre for enterance. I was so amazed at the perfectness of its home.Haven't seen it for weeks, bait hasn't been touched.
It was a shame to have to kill something so beautiful and so clever as to make a nest like that.

Having averies it attracts mice. At the moment our cat sits in front of the avery, the neighbours cat over the back sits behind, the cat nextdoor comes over too, so I am not putting any bait out, let nature take it's course.
The only trouble is, Sandy loves to get the mouse in the clump of daffodils, and there is not a leaf standing by the time he has finished with it!.

Zita

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53699
08/28/01 07:37 AM
08/28/01 07:37 AM
Zita  Offline
I think we have just had the final winter southerly and are now heading into spring.
Everything here is shooting or showing signs of movement. Even the birds have a different song. Spring is in the air!

Zita

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53700
08/28/01 01:58 PM
08/28/01 01:58 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Zita, I'm curious about something. You said that the birds eat the pansies. What kind of birds do you have that eat them? I have pansies here and we don't have any birds in this area that are eating them. I didn't see birds eating them when I lived in the Deep South either (where they bloom all winter long). I just wonder what kind of bird eats flowers?

------------------
Jesus is the joy of living

Linda

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53701
08/31/01 11:06 PM
08/31/01 11:06 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
A hungry vegetarian one?

Re: mid-winter 'downunder' #53702
09/01/01 11:53 PM
09/01/01 11:53 PM
Zita  Offline
Hi Linda, it's the wicked sparrows and blackbirds that go for them. I used to have a lovely colourful garden at my back door filled with pansies and polyanthus. I gave up and planted primula instead, I guess the flowers are too small to be bothered!
Even over in the rockery, I planted pansies one year, but the flowers would be completely or half demolished, and it defeated the purpose of having bright colour spots for winter! This year hasn't been so bad, as I have fed them well, my only complaint is the bird mess they leave behind in the gazabo, the table gets covered! But at least they are fed and happy and that's the main thing.
Zita

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!