HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,602
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54244
08/24/05 04:18 PM
08/24/05 04:18 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am happy to say that Chat Room #1 is now working again, however, if it happens to go down again, simply tell everybody in advance to log into Chat Room #2 as a back-up plan.

By the way, how did last Friday's study go?

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54245
09/02/05 03:54 AM
09/02/05 03:54 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just a reminder about "The Great Controversy" Study this coming Friday at 8:30 p.m. EDT in Chat Room #1 or, if Chat Room #1 has any problems, in Chat Room #2.

As I am still away from home, I will not be able to participate, however, I hope the rst of you are there.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54246
09/09/05 01:40 PM
09/09/05 01:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It is my intention to be present at this evening's study at 8:30 p.m. EDT.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54247
09/11/05 11:42 PM
09/11/05 11:42 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It seems that the study didn't go as scheduled last Friday evening.

Will and Rick were there. I had planned to be there, however, unexpected company prevented that. Maybe I will be successful in being present the next time.

As we are now into September and the Summer vacations, etc. are behind us, I am hoping we can get back into this study on a regular basis.

I will let you all know here whether or not the study will continue each week.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54248
09/19/05 03:22 AM
09/19/05 03:22 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
We had a good study last Friday evening. [Smile]

I will be posting highlights of last Friday's study in my next post here.

I hope there will be even more people there at 8:00 p.m. EDT. That is 9:00 p.m. in my ADT time zone.

As "The Appearing" begins at 7:00 p.m. EDT, therefore, I may be a little late.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54249
09/18/05 07:55 PM
09/18/05 07:55 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here are the highlights of last Friday's study on Chapter 5 of The Great Controversy:

quote:

[Vicki Hahn] 9:11 pm EDT: We were just starting to look at Chapter 5 of GC. On page 79 it says that "the time had come for the Scriptures to be translated and given to
the people of different lands in their native tongue. The world had passed its midnight." Do we know WHY God chose this time as the end of the Dark Ages? 2nd paragraph of Ch. 5

[calvin] 9:14 pm: We can only speculate, hard to say for certian why.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:14 pm: Chapter 5 is on John Wycliffe.

[Jan] 9:14 pm: Don't see any reason for that in the text, it is one of those mysteries of Providence

[Vicki Hahn] 9:15 pm: Perhaps because the birth of the printing press was on the horizon and God knew this was the time for the Reformation?

[Jan] 9:15 pm: It is hard to understand why the Word was allowed to be overshadowed as it was, there has to have been some reason, but not apparent to us.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:16 pm: There is a picture of John Wycliffe found here: http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/biorpwycliffe.html

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:16 pm: In preparation for the end of the 1260 year period? It was time for the common people to know the Word in preparation for the end of that period. Translations of the Scriptures would enlightnen the people. They had been in darkness long enough. But the time had come for the Scriptures to be translated and given to the
people of different lands in their native tongue. The world had passed its midnight. The hours of darkness were wearing away, and in many lands appeared tokens of the coming dawn.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:18 pm: Yes...it was a l-o-n-g time in darkness

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:19 pm: Thus entered John Wycliffe. While Wycliffe was still at college, he entered upon the study of the Scriptures. In those early times, when the Bible existed only in the ancient languages, scholars were enabled to find their way to the fountain of truth, which was closed to the uneducated classes. Thus already the way had
been prepared for Wycliffe's future work as a Reformer. Here he saw the plan of salvation revealed and Christ set forth as the only advocate for man. He gave himself to the service of Christ and determined to proclaim the truths he had discovered. {GC 81.1}

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:21 pm: God raises up people when they are needed the most.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:22 pm: That is true.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:22 pm: He is raising up His church for these days too to finish the work..

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:23 pm: Like after Reformers, Wycliffe did not, at the opening of his work, foresee whither it would lead him. He did not set himself deliberately in opposition to Rome. But devotion to truth could not but bring him in conflict with falsehood.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:23 pm: We also need to be as bold as he was in these last days.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:24 pm: He saw that Rome had forsaken the word of God for human tradition; he fearlessly accused the priesthood of having banished the Scriptures, and demanded that the Bible be restored to the people and that its authority be again established in the church.

[Jan] 9:24 pm: And it could bring us into a lot of conflict too.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:24 pm: Does the Holy Spirit give us boldness?

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:24 pm: Like it did to John W. Yes (In response to Vicki’s question).

[Jan] 9:26 pm: Without the Holy Spirit we would be too timid or too harsh.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:26 pm: The Great Controversy Study Guide asks this question: What qualifications do we find in Wycliff that contributed to his remarkable success as a leader?

[Jan] 9:27 pm: The first thing would be the study of the Scriptures.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:27 pm: Answer found 81:2 and 94.1. Yes, Jan. Also "purity of life, unwearying diligence in study and in labor, inorruptible intergrity, and Christlike love and faithfulness in his ministry..."

[Jan] 9:29 pm: "his daily life was a demonstration of the truths he preached"

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:31 pm: Wycliffe was a keen detector of error, and he struck fearlessly against many of the abuses sanctioned by the authority of Rome. That was a good qualification.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:32 pm: It's amazing what one man can do when he has God on his side!

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:32 pm: Amen!!!

[Vicki Hahn] 9:33 pm: When you read about the Dark Ages -- about how horrible conditions were then, with superstitions, corrupt and evil Catholic Church, etc., -- you realize how God's Word is a light to our feet and minds.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:34 pm: Another question is "4. What were two distinctive doctrines of Protestantism. 89:1; 93:3 [100:1; 104:3]”

[Jan] 9:35 pm: The Scriptures our sole authority and salvation through faith in Christ.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:36 pm: “salvation through faith in Christ, and the sole infallibility of the Scriptures.” Right on!!!!!

[Jan] 9:37 pm: Even now we need to be constantly reminded of those two distinctive doctrines.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:37 pm: They say now Protestantism, in general, is dead. No one is "protesting" anymore.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:37 pm: Because they have reverted to tradition themselves.

[Jan] 9:38 pm: Many have stopped where their particular reformer stopped.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:38 pm: And consider Catholicism as part of the flock

[Jan] 9:38 pm: And many have gone back from where their leaders took them.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:39 pm: Right, Jan

[Jan] 9:39 pm: Dare I say, we can see it even in our midst.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:40 pm: True.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:46 pm: Let's try 8 pm EDT then next Friday.

[Will] 9:47 pm: If early protestantism was based on the sole infallibilty of the Bible, and faith through Christ, then alot has changed today. People doubt the Word of God as being culturally relevant, they think that Paul was a sexist, the Sabbath was done away with, and think that once you are saved that’s it.

[Jan] 9:48 pm: Right on the head, Will. There was none of that with Wycliffe, like the song says, God said it, I believe it, that settles it for me.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:49 pm: I work for a Reformed Church in America and it's deader than a doornail.

[Will] 9:49 pm: Protesting the Roman Catholic church meant following the Bible, and not to bring up the obvious, alol non-Sabbath keeping churches are not Protestants, cause they are still doing the same thing, and even look the same as the RCC
[Jan] 9:49 pm: And are getting closer to it all the time.

[calvin] 9:50 pm: True that, Will.

[Jan] 9:50 pm: It seems a reformer comes along, everyone is on fire for a time, then settles back into routine again.

[Will] 9:50 pm: Some of the things can even be seen in the Seventh-day Adventist church.

[Jan] 9:51 pm: We are settled back right now.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:51 pm: Doesn't it seem like it is hard to wake up?

[Jan] 9:51 pm: Yes indeed.

[Will] 9:51 pm: When you are in a deep sleep it takes alot to wake up.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:51 pm: Yes.

[Jan] 9:51 pm: And that kind of sleep is catching.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:52 pm: Even though I know Jesus is coming VERY soon, I feel so Laodicea.

[Will] 9:52 pm: Vicki you dont need to feel that way, Laodecia is the last church in history, and has many characteristics. We can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:52 pm: Doesn't Mrs. White say something about Satan having something to do with this?...though...

[Will] 9:52 pm: We don’t need to be in that position.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:53 pm: we can't really blame him when we aren't doing what we're supposed to be doing - prayer and Bible Study.

[Jan] 9:53 pm: Dave is implementing a lot of programs at church right now, and a few are stirring out of slumber.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:54 pm: When I went to Wed. night Bible study it felt like I was more on fire.

[Will] 9:54 pm: Don’t forget applying the Word to our lives daily. It is daily application, meditating on God's law and precepts and understanding that He loves us. We are on the right team in this Great Controversy.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:54 pm: It's hard for me to go now though.

[Jan] 9:54 pm: Sadly, it's only a few, but the Wycliffe movement started with just Wycliffe.

[Will] 9:55 pm: The closer it is to Jesus Second coming the harder the devil is working.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:55 pm: Yes, he likes it when we are too busy to take time with God.

[Will] 9:55 pm: Don’t let the devil defeat you Vicki. God wants you to study, and to exhort one another.

[Jan] 9:55 pm: It is really hard when so much opposition comes from within our own ranks. But we have been warned to expect that.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:56 pm: Thanks, Will. It's a daily battle.

[Jan] 9:56 pm: I would be worried for you if it weren't, Vicki.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:56 pm: I think maybe opposition is a good way to wake someone up though.

[calvin] 9:57 pm: Read 1 Peter 3:15, let no man take your hope.

[Jan] 9:57 pm: When there isn't a battle going on, we can know we have either given up the fight of faith or we are dead...

[Vicki Hahn] 9:57 pm: Remember the parable of the ten virgins--they were all asleep
[Vicki Hahn] 9:58 pm: Yes, Jan.

[Will] 10:01 pm: All ten virgins were asleep, but half were not prepared. What do we need to do to be prepared?

[Vicki Hahn] 10:01 pm: Half didn't have the Holy Spirit.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:08 pm: Chapter 6 next week?

[Will] 10:08 pm: Sounds good to me.

Chapter 6 will be this coming Friday at 8:00 p.m. EDT.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54250
09/30/05 05:22 PM
09/30/05 05:22 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Chapter 6 didn't happen last Friday, possibly on account of The Appearing meetings as well as other unexpected reasons, however, Chapter 6 will be discussed this evening at 8:00 p.m. EDT.

We hope to see some of you there.

If you are not yet a registered member of Chat Room #1 where this weekly study is taking place, please let me know and I will register you with the same username (display name) and password that you use here.

Some usernames (display names) and/or passwords exceptions may apply, however, you will be notified, if that exception affects you.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54251
10/07/05 11:24 PM
10/07/05 11:24 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Chapter 6 study of The Great Controversy did happen last Friday evening, and we had a wonderful timeQ

Here is what most of you missed last Friday in Chat Room #1:

quote:

Study on Chapter 6

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:25 ADT pm:
Chap. 6 - Huss and Jerome is tonight's study. 1. What progress had the gospel made in Bohemia, and what difficulties had it encountered before the days of John Huss? 97:1, 2 [109:1; 110:1] Note--The bull of Gregory VII mentioned in the text was issued in 1079 A. D. The gospel had been planted in Bohemia as early as the ninth century. The Bible was translated, and public worship was conducted, in the
language of the people. But as the power of the pope increased, so the word of God was obscured. Gregory VII, who had taken it upon himself to humble the pride of kings, was no less intent upon enslaving the people, and accordingly a bull was issued forbidding
public worship to be conducted in the Bohemian tongue. The pope declared that "it was pleasing to the Omnipotent that His worship should be celebrated in an unknown language, and that many evils and heresies had arisen from not observing this rule."--Wylie, b. 3, ch. 1. Thus Rome decreed that the light of God's word should be extinguished and the people should be shut up in darkness.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:29 pm: a bull? as in a document?? a bill???

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:29 pm: Pleasing to the Omnipotent???

[Vicki Hahn] 9:29 pm: Probably a declaration - an order

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:29 pm: I wonder how the Pope feels about this today?

[Vicki Hahn] 9:30 pm: It wasn't until the 1960's that they started doing the mass in native languages. Instead of Latin--a dead language, at that.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:30 pm: Wasn't that long ago then.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:30 pm: It happened at the 2nd Vatican Council

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:31 pm: In answer to the question: Before the days of Huss there were men in Bohemia who rose up to condemn openly the corruption in the church and the profligacy of the people.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:31 pm: Hmm, the position of "Pope" is actually saying 'God on earth' which is rather odd that he would say..."it was pleasing to the Omnipotent that His
worship should be celebrated in an unknown language, and that many evils and heresies had arisen from not observing this rule."

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:31 pm: Where did these men come from?

[Vicki Hahn] 9:31 pm: Right, Marae. Good observation

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:32 pm: Yes, good observation. Many of the Waldenses and
Albigenses, driven by persecution from their homes in France and Italy, came to Bohemia. Though they dared not teach openly, they labored zealously in secret.
Thus the true faith was preserved from century to century. {GC 97.1}

[Vicki Hahn] 9:32 pm: Probably men who had been converted by the Waldenses and ...oh, you beat me to it, Daryl.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:33 pm: That is how God preserved His truth up to the day of John Huss.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:33 pm: And Wycliff

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:33 pm: Yes.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:33 pm: interesting.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:34 pm: 2. The scattering of believers by persecution or oppression has frequently been signally blessed of heaven in disseminating light. Acts 11:19-21. This is illustrated in the history recorded in this chapter. 97:1; 100:3 [109:1, 112:2]

[Vicki Hahn] 9:34 pm: Why do you think that is?

[Will] 9:35 pm: I am still here, I was looking up specifics of the bull decreed by pope gregory the VII. I found the following: Though practicing the Eastern ritual, the
Bohemian Church remained under the jurisdiction of Rome; for the great schism between the Eastern and the Western Churches had not yet been consummated. The Greek
liturgy, as we may imagine, was displeasing to the Pope, and he began to plot its overthrow. Gradually the Latin rite was introduced, and the Greek rite in the same proportion displaced. At length, in 1079, Gregory VII. (Hildebrand) issued a bull forbidding the Oriental ritual to be longer observing this rule.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:36 pm: So it looks like it was just a power play

[Will] 9:36 pm: i messed up in the copy and paste. the last part should read: from not observing this rule. Found at http://www.searchgodsword.org/his/ad/hop/view.cgi?book=3&chapter=1

[Marae_Hoover] 9:36 pm: makes a bit more sense

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:37 pm: 3. Wycliffe belonged to a family of the nobility, and he had no financial difficulties to face in the acquisition of an education. Huss furnishes an example of a youth from a home of poverty. Both, however, applied themselves diligently to study, and both were exemplary in the purity of their lives. 98:1, 2 [110:2, 3]

[Vicki Hahn] 9:37 pm: Good find, Will. Wait, I want to go back to 2.!

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:37 pm: Yes, very interesting, Will. OK. Go with 2. The destruction of Jerusalem did the same thing.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:38 pm: Why do you think that those persecuted are frequently blessed in disseminating light?

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:38 pm: ...dispersed the Christians.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:39 pm: Because they are , sometimes literally, dying for God without a fight - they are saying I will die for what I know is right by God and therefore honoring
God

[Vicki Hahn] 9:39 pm: Did they have extra of the Holy Spirit?

[Marae_Hoover] 9:39 pm: Probably a lot of prayer and Trust that God would do his Will like the men being put into the fiery furnace and then Jesus appearing next to them and not being burned.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:40 pm: The Holy Spirit is no less available to us as He was to them.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:40 pm: that took MOUNDS of trust. Yes true Daryl.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:40 pm: Does it take persecution to get us there, though?

[Marae_Hoover] 9:40 pm: but we must trust in Divine intervention

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:40 pm: How about a mustard of faith.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:40 pm: Trust is a part of faith

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:41 pm: Yes, but only a mustard of faith is needed to move mountains.
[Vicki Hahn] 9:41 pm: Great illustration that Jesus gave us, isn't it?

[Marae_Hoover] 9:42 pm: Well it might for some, we are all so different, we have different weakeness's and different strength;s that it seems as thow that we have different
combinations of tests or trials if you will to see where our loyalty lies.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:42 pm: I pray for a whole jar of mustard!

[Will] 9:42 pm: we will be in that situation soon, where our faith will need to be strong, and the size of a mustard seed. Maybe we have less than that right now.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:42 pm: Yes, God knows how to try us in the fire.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:42 pm: i think we all need a whole jar of mustard every now and then.
[Will] 9:42 pm: but the urgency of the situation will put us in the position of either serving God or being approved of by man

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:43 pm: That, Will, is what the problem probably is, especially here in the NAD.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:43 pm: We are definitely getting there eh will?

Marae_Hoover] 9:43 pm: NAD???

[Will] 9:43 pm: North American Division

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:43 pm: 4. What calling did Huss choose to follow, and what positions did he fill? 98:2; 99:1 [110:3; 111:1]

[Vicki Hahn] 9:44 pm: professor and rector of the university, priesthood also

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:45 pm: What did that lead to?

[Marae_Hoover] 9:45 pm: Wow he really engrossed himself in work at school and became well known.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:45 pm: Court of the king?

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:45 pm: But it was in another field that Huss began the work of reform. Several years after taking priest's orders he was appointed preacher of the chapel of Bethlehem. The founder of this chapel had advocated, as a matter of great importance, the preaching of the Scriptures in the language of the people.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:46 pm: I love on page 98 where his poor mother consecrates him to God

[Marae_Hoover] 9:46 pm: and was rubbing shoulders with diplomats He was BUSY. Yes I just read that.the writings of wicliffe were given to him and he took them to heart.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:47 pm: Notwithstanding Rome's opposition to this practice, it had not been wholly discontinued in Bohemia. But there was great ignorance of the Bible, and the worst vices prevailed among the people of all ranks. These evils Huss unsparingly denounced, appealing to the word of God to enforce the principles of truth and purity which he inculcated. {GC 99.1}

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:47 pm: 5. What providential circumstances led to the spread of Wycliffe's writings to Bohemia? 99:2, 3 [111:2, 3] A citizen of Prague, Jerome,
who afterward became so closely associated with Huss, had, on returning from England, brought with him the writings of Wycliffe. The queen of England, who had been a convert to Wycliffe's teachings, was a Bohemian princess, and through her influence also
the Reformer's works were widely circulated in her native country. These works Huss read with interest; he believed their author to be a sincere Christian and was inclined to regard with favor the reforms…….

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:48 pm: It is interesting how God brings it all together.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:48 pm: Yes, and then the two strangers came

[Marae_Hoover] 9:49 pm: no kidding

[Vicki Hahn] 9:49 pm: I love the picture that they drew. It is encouraging none the less
to see how God can make things work out in the end too.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:49 pm: Is there a picture of it ????

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:50 pm: The strangers and their drawings.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:50 pm: Can you copy it, Daryl? The paragraph, I mean.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:50 pm: The pictures made a deep impression on the mind of Huss and led him to a closer study of the Bible and of Wycliffe's writings.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:51 pm: The two strangers were artists, and after they were silenced from preaching, they drew a picture of Jesus...

[Vicki Hahn] 9:51 pm: humble on his donkey, barefoot, and then a picture. of the proud pope with all his pomp and circumstance.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:52 pm: One represented the entrance of Christ into Jerusalem, “meek, and sitting upon an ass" (Matthew 21:5), and followed by His disciples in travel-worn garments and with naked feet. The other picture portrayed a pontifical procession--the pope arrayed in his rich robes and triple crown, mounted upon a horse magnificently adorned, preceded by trumpeters and followed by cardinals and prelates in dazzling array.
{GC 99.3}

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:53 pm: Quite a contrast and quite a message.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:53 pm: No kidding. The pope is an idol

[Vicki Hahn] 9:53 pm: Even today, you would think that people would wonder about the contrast between the two but they seem to love the idolatry...like you said, Marae.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:53 pm: 8. What circumstances led to the placing of Prague under the papal interdict? What conditions prevailed under the terms of such an interdict? 100:3; 104:1 [112:3; 113:1] Tidings of the work at Prague were carried to Rome, and Huss was soon summoned to appear before the pope. To obey would be to expose himself to certain death. The king and queen of Bohemia, the university, members of the nobility, and officers of the government united in an appeal to the pontiff that Huss be permitted to remain at Prague and to answer at Rome by deputy. Instead of granting this request, the pope proceeded to the trial and condemnation of Huss, and then declared the city of
Prague to be under interdict.

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:55 pm: What does "interdict" mean?

[Marae_Hoover] 9:55 pm: In the Roman Catholic Church interdict is an ecclesiastical penalty which usually suspends all public worship and withdraws the church's sacraments in a territory or country.

[Will] 9:56 pm: The king and queen were defending Huss, and asked that he stay in Prague

[Marae_Hoover] 9:56 pm: wow makes me think of what they will do to us

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:56 pm: It was believed that the gates of heaven were closed against the region smitten with interdict; that until it should please the pope to remove the ban, the dead were shut out from the abodes of bliss. In token of this terrible calamity, all
the services of religion were suspended. The churches were closed. Marriages were solemnized in the churchyard. The dead, denied burial in consecrated ground, were interred, without the rites of sepulture, in the ditches or the fields. Thus by measures which appealed to the imagination, Rome essayed to control the consciences of men. {GC 101.1}

[Marae_Hoover] 9:56 pm: Interdict can refer to several things: In the Roman Catholic Church interdict is an ecclesiastical penalty which usually suspends all public worship and withdraws the church's sacraments in a territory or country. In Scotland an interdict is a court order preventing a certain action, similar to an injunction. A type of type of shield or military defense against attack..

[Will] 9:56 pm: What baffles me is that a king and queen had to petition the pope? They rukle their own contry and here the papacy reaches into other countries as if it owns them

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:57 pm: Yes, the Pope even ruled them in a sense.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:57 pm: Yea exactly. Can we say Sunday Law??????

[Daryl Fawcett] 9:57 pm: They either obeyed or were excommunicated.

[Marae_Hoover] 9:57 pm: Talk about history repeating itself.

[Vicki Hahn] 9:58 pm: The dictionary says: Interdict: To prohibit or place under an ecclesiastical or legal sanction. To forbid or debar, especially authoritatively.
[Will] 9:58 pm: So an interdict is a law then?

[Vicki Hahn] 9:58 pm: The pope had/has the keys to heaven and hell. That overruled a temporal authority. Sounds like it, Will

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:00 pm: The city of Prague was filled with tumult. A large class denounced Huss as the cause of all their calamities and demanded that he be given up to the vengeance of Rome. To quiet the storm, the Reformer withdrew for a time to his native village.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:00 pm: The Pope worked on the fear of the people.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:00 pm: But this just furthered his influence

[Marae_Hoover] 10:00 pm: Well its and overthrow of the law that i guess the pope feels like he has the power of

[Vicki Hahn] 10:00 pm: Husses influence, that is.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:01 pm: Huss did not cease his labors, but traveled through the surrounding country, preaching to eager crowds. Thus the measures to which the pope resorted to suppress the gospel were causing it to be the more widely extended.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:10 pm: Huss and the turmoil going on inside him.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:10 pm: Oh yes. This actually resulted in Huss preaching all over the
place.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:12 pm: Huss was also in conflict with himself.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:12 pm: "The mind of Huss, at this stage of his career, would seem to have been the scene of a painful conflict. Although the church was seeking to overwhelm him by her thunderbolts, he had not renounced her authority. The Roman Church was still to him the spouse of Christ, and the pope was the representative and vicar of God. What Huss was warring against was the abuse of authority, not the principle itself.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:12 pm: Interesting dilemma.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:14 pm: This brought on a terrible conflict between the convictions of his understanding and the claims of his conscience. If the authority was just and nfallible, as he believed it to be, how came it that he felt compelled to disobey it? To obey, he saw,
was to sin; but why should obedience to an infallible church lead to such an issue? This was the problem he could not solve; this was the doubt that tortured him hour by hour.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:16 pm: sounds like what i went through in my conversion

[Vicki Hahn] 10:16 pm: How did you resolve it, Marae?

[Marae_Hoover] 10:17 pm: I decided i better follow what my heart was saying which is what the Bible was telling me and what i Felt convicted on or I would live a life of misery and die for good...which i did not want, so I chose happiness, what little can be had on this earth and in the long run a life of eternity that I get to have with loved ones and God and not to mention I get to give Jesus a big hug I imagine there will be a long line for that.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:18 pm: Right choice! I'll be in line behind you!

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:20 pm: 11. What were the two prime reasons for calling the Council of Constance, 1414-18? 104:2, 3 [117:2, 3]

[Marae_Hoover] 10:20 pm: It will also be the best choir ever!! all of us people, plus angels, plus our God!! imagine His voice

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:20 pm: The chief objects to be accomplished by the council were to heal the schism in the church and to root out heresy.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:21 pm: 13. What tracings of the prophetic gift do we find in this chapter? 97:1; 108:1 [110:1; 122:1] "Huss also was visited by visions and prophetic dreams." (Bonnechose, Vol. II, p. 24)

[Vicki Hahn] 10:21 pm: Sounds like a noble cause. Didn't turn out that way though.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:24 pm: What year was this taking place??

[Vicki Hahn] 10:24 pm: Wasn't it around 1079 or somthing?

[Marae_Hoover] 10:24 pm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussite

[Marae_Hoover] 10:24 pm: 1400's.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:25 pm: Good, Marae!

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:26 pm: They eventually did to Huss which they later failed to do to Martin Luther.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:26 pm: 15. What was the immediate effect in Bohemia of the execution of Huss? 115:3 [131:3]

[Vicki Hahn] 10:26 pm: Kindled the flame of indignation and horror.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:27 pm: Huss was no more, but the truths for which he died could never perish. His example of faith and constancy would encourage multitudes to stand firm for the truth, in the face of torture and death. His execution had exhibited to the
whole world the perfidious cruelty of Rome. The enemies of truth, though they knew it not, had been furthering the cause which they vainly sought to destroy. {GC 110.1}

[Vicki Hahn] 10:28 pm: So martyrdom in this age would have the same effect, I suppose.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:28 pm: At least his death was not in vain, it actually brought more attention to the truth.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:29 pm: The death of Huss had not resulted as the papists had hoped. The violation of his safe-conduct had roused a storm of indignation, and as the safer course, the council determined, instead of burning Jerome, to force him, if possible, to retract.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:29 pm: In other words, the made it worse for themselves in the eyes of the people.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:29 pm: I feel bad for poor Jerome. He renounced the truth and Huss,
and then he had such guilt but he made it right in the end.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:30 pm: Jerome's fortitude gave way, and he consented to submit to the council. He pledged himself to adhere to the Catholic faith, and accepted the action of the council in condemning the doctrines of Wycliffe and Huss, excepting, however, the "holy truths" which they had taught.--Ibid, vol. 2, p. 141. {GC 111.1}

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:31 pm: By this expedient Jerome endeavored to silence the voice of conscience and escape his doom. But in the solitude of his dungeon he saw more clearly what he had done. He thought of the courage and fidelity of Huss, and in contrast pondered upon his own denial of the truth. He thought of the divine Master whom he had pledged himself to serve, and who for his sake endured the death of the cross. Before his retraction he had found comfort, amid all his sufferings, in the assurance of God's favor; but now remorse and doubts tortured his soul. He knew that still other retractions must be made before he could be at peace with Rome.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:31 pm: so did he or did he not make it right in the end?

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:31 pm: The path upon which he was entering could end only in complete apostasy. His resolution was taken: To escape a brief period of suffering he would not deny his Lord. He renounced his former recantation and, as a dying man, solemnly required an opportunity to make his defense.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:33 pm: He pulled a John Mark, but also did what John Mark did later on.

[Marae_Hoover] 10:33 pm: John Mark?????

[Will] 10:34 pm: John Mark ran didn’t he?

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:34 pm: He got scared and turned back from a missionary journey, but he redeemed himself in a future one.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:35 pm: At his retraction, Jerome had assented to the justice of the sentence condemning Huss; he now declared his repentance and bore witness to the innocence and holiness of the martyr.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:35 pm: I'm thankful for a very forgiving God!

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:35 pm: He was led out to the same spot upon which Huss had yielded up his life. He went singing on his way, his countenance lighted up with joy and peace. His gaze was fixed upon Christ, and to him death had lost its terrors. When the executioner, about to kindle the pile, stepped behind him, the martyr exclaimed: "Come
forward boldly; apply the fire before my face. Had I been afraid, I should not be here." {GC 114.8}

[Marae_Hoover] 10:36 pm: We have a VERY loving Father in heaven

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:36 pm: His last words, uttered as the flames rose about him, were a prayer. "Lord, Almighty Father," he cried, "have pity on me, and pardon me my sins; for Thou knowest that I have always loved Thy truth."--Bonnechose, vol. 2, p. 168. His voice ceased, but his lips continued to move in prayer.

[Will] 10:37 pm: This reminds me of what Stephen had encountered when he was being stoned. The Lord put him to sleep, but he was not afraid.

[Vicki Hahn] 10:38 pm: Stephens's face shone.

[Daryl Fawcett] 10:41 pm: Chapter 7 next Friday.

We are scheduled to study Chapter 7 this evening at 8:30 pm EDT in MSDAOL Chat Room #1.

If you wish to participate in this evening's study, then I suggest you try and access Chat Room #1 right now, so that if you have any login problems, you can let me know by email, or even here, right away.

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54252
10/08/05 12:33 AM
10/08/05 12:33 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Something happened to my password. Apparently I cannot login [Frown]
God Bless,
Will

Reply Quote
Re: Chat Room Study on "The Great Controversy" Notice #54253
10/08/05 09:55 PM
10/08/05 09:55 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Will,

I just noticed your post here and sent you an email.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!