HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6557
05/16/01 07:43 PM
05/16/01 07:43 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
It never ceases to amaze me to see the mental contortions we go through to make our theology fit the Bible, and/or the Bible fit our theology. We should be content with the plain word of God. Just interpreting that is challenge enough.

Please quote just one text from Scripture refering to the "lesser light" and the "greater light".

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6558
05/16/01 07:49 PM
05/16/01 07:49 PM
D
Durk  Offline
North America
Sorry, Daryl, that didn't answer your question. You can remove this post if you want.

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6559
05/16/01 09:52 PM
05/16/01 09:52 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
That's why this is called the 'SPIRIT OF PROPHECY'forum.
We are disgussing the writings of Ellen White in here, and there relevence to scripture as well as their duty.

EGW referred to herself as the lesser light, stating her purpose was to point us back to the Holy Scripture.

Her writings would not be necessary if we studied THE BOOK as we should.

Your post was not contrary to the posted rules of the Maritime Forum, so will not be deleted.

Your premise is correct, in this sense, if we will study the scripture as we know we should, we will have all we need for salvation, but, because we are who and what we are, God, in His infinite love and mercy, gave us SOP to guide us in our study.
Not to take the place of scripture, but to help us find the answers we need so we can understand.

The stated purpose of her books are to guide us into a better knowledge of salvation.To open our minds AND GUIDE US TO THE TRUTH, as it is in Christ Jesus.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6560
11/10/01 09:54 PM
11/10/01 09:54 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry Buck:
Her writings would not be necessary if we studied THE BOOK as we should.

While searching for something on the CDRom, I came across this statement which I found interesting:
quote:
I took the precious Bible and surrounded it with the several Testimonies for the Church, given for the people of God. Here, said I, the cases of nearly all are met. The sins they are to shun are pointed out. The counsel that they desire can be found here, given for other cases situated similarly to themselves. God has been pleased to give you line upon line and precept upon precept. But there are not many of you that really know what is contained in the Testimonies. You are not familiar with the Scriptures. If you had made God's word your study, with a desire to reach the Bible standard and attain to Christian perfection, you would not have needed the Testimonies. It is because you have neglected to acquaint yourselves with God's inspired Book that He has sought to reach you by simple, direct testimonies, calling your attention to the words of inspiration which you had neglected to obey, and urging you to fashion your lives in accordance with its pure and elevated teachings.

The Lord designs to warn you, to reprove, to counsel, through the testimonies given, and to impress your minds with the importance of the truth of His word. The written testimonies are not to give new light, but to impress vividly upon the heart the truths of inspiration already revealed. Man's duty to God and to his fellow man has been distinctly specified in God's word; yet but few of you are obedient to the light given. Additional truth is not brought out; but God has through the Testimonies simplified the great truths already given and in His own chosen way brought them before the people to awaken and impress the mind with them, that all may be left without excuse.

Pride, self-love, selfishness, hatred, envy, and jealousy have beclouded the perceptive powers, and the truth, which would make you wise unto salvation, has lost its power to charm and control the mind. The very essential principles of godliness are not understood because there is not a hungering and thirsting for Bible knowledge, purity of heart, and holiness of life. The Testimonies are not to belittle the word of God, but to exalt it and attract minds to it, that the beautiful simplicity of truth may impress all. {2T 605}

Something that immediately stood out that I had never noticed before was that she used the Testimonies to surround the Bible, and said they would not have been needed had people studied their Bibles. The testimonies were to help us reach the standard of perfection that God has for His people.

Ellen White wrote more than testimonies. She also wrote the story of the controversy between Christ and Satan, now in the five volumes we call the Conflict of the Ages series. There are also the health writings, and other works about Jesus and His earthly ministry. These works do not fall into the catagory of testimonies.

We cannot forget that the OT said that there would be a forerunner, a prophet, a messenger, who would precede the "great and dreadful day of the Lord." Jesus came once as a man to die. His forerunner was John the Baptist. According to the prophecy, there would be a forerunner before His second coming. So even if men had not needed the testimonies, the forerunner was still coming and came in the work and ministry of Ellen G. White. That's why rejecting her role and work (as so many in the SDA church do today) is so serious. To reject her role as God's messenger is to say God was wrong in prophecying that someone would come to do the work she did prior to His second coming.

[While I quoted what Gerry said, I don't want anyone to think that I did so to attack Gerry. I used it as the background to the statement that I found.]

------------------
Jesus is the joy of living

Linda

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6561
11/11/01 12:14 AM
11/11/01 12:14 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I had not read that quote.
My understanding of what I read was that the 'Testimonies' were the only ones she meant. I am, after all, just a man. I need the input of others, and desire to learn.
I thank you for what you posted, it clears up what I had tried to say.
I know you did not attack, you found more information to provide a better understanding of my post..

As we work together, studying and sharing, we grow.
Some will find one thing, another something else, and as we add them together and study them out, it becomes easier to see the whole picture a little more clearly.
We may not know everything, only that which God has deamed necessary.
He is the great provider and He is the one that opens His word and the works of His servants to our understanding.
Thank God for His holy word and His willing servants, including Ellen G. White.

------------------
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 ¶ Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6562
11/12/01 10:11 PM
11/12/01 10:11 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Apostasy creeps in subtly, and appears as light. Are you all saying that the bible is the lesser light leading to the greater light of Ellen White's writings, other than the "Testimonies"? If the bible is the standard by which we test truth, what is the greater: further light, or the standard? They are not at odds, but Ellen White surely only supplements what we should have found ourselves if we had studied as we should. She said that.
Hearing the bible downgraded should set off the loudest alarms.

Re: What Is "The Lesser Light" And "The Greater Light"? #6563
11/13/01 12:43 AM
11/13/01 12:43 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
No, no, no,no,no, and no again.
What we are saying is the same thing EG White said herself, her writings are the 'lesser' light pointing to the greater light.

The purpose of her writings were to get people to get back into the Word.
When the Adventist movement first started, we were known as the people of the Book.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case today.
We allow others to tell us what the Book says and don't look into it ourselves.

She addressed this problem at one time when she admonished her listeners to not quote her unless they were better versed in Scripture.

She did not set herself up as the final word, she always said that Scripture is, but there were those in her day that used her as the final authority, just as some today do.

That is never been the purpose of her books, but rather, that we would get into the book and discover the rich treasure there.

------------------
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 ¶ Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

===================

Did some typing corrections only

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 12, 2001).]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!