In studying the writings of Ellen one of the ways you can gain a better understanding of what she is presenting is to let her explain herself. For example, when she uses the word sanctification what does she intend for the reader to understand. To help myself in understanding, over the years, I have collected what I call "One Liners". I will post the ones I have and would like to see others add to the list. I think this is one way we could help each other in the study of the SOP.

Implicit belief in Christ’s word is true humility, true self surrender. DA 535

Jesus proceeded to show His hearers what it means to keep the commandments of God - that it is a reproduction in themselves of the character of Christ. MB 55

Repentance is turning from self to Christ. MB 87

Righteousness is love, and love is the light and the life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ. We receive righteousness by receiving Him. MB 18

…obedience…(is) a surrender of the heart to the sovereignty of love. MB 46

Holiness is wholeness to God. The soul is surrendered to God. The will and even the thoughts are brought into subjection to the will of Christ. MS 33, 1911

To have a change of heart (new birth) is to withdraw the affections form the world, and fasten them upon Christ. 4BC 1164

Saving faith is a transaction by which those who receive Christ join themselves in covenant relation with God. DA 347

Redemption is that process by which the soul is trained for heaven. This training means a knowledge of Christ. DA 330

To fall upon the rock and be broken is to give up our self-righteousness and to go to Christ with the humility of a child, repenting of our transgressions, and believing in His forgiving love. DA 599

Beholding Christ means studying His life as given His word. MS 148, 1897

The sanctification of the soul by the working of the Holy Spirit is the implanting of Christ’s nature in Humanity. Gospel religion is Christ in the life. COL 384

Sanctification means habitual communion with God. RH March 15, 1906

The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. DA 805

The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. DA 324

When we pray for earthly blessings, the answer to our prayer may be delayed, or God may give us something other than we ask, but not so when we ask for deliverance from sin. It is His will to cleanse us from sin, to make us His children, and to enable us to live a holy life. DA 266

The highest evidence of nobility in a Christian is self-control. He who under abuse or cruelty fails to maintain a calm and trustful spirit robs God of His right to reveal in him His own perfection of character. Lowliness of heart is the strength that gives victory to the followers of Christ; it is the token of their connection with the courts above. DA 301

It is through the Spirit that Christ dwells in us; and the Spirit of God, received into the heart by faith, is the beginning of the life eternal. DA 388

To eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ is to receive Him as a personal saviour, believing that He forgives our sins, and that we are complete in Him. DA 389

Christian love is slow to censure, quick to discern penitence, ready to forgive, to encourage, to set the wanderer in the path of holiness, and to stay his feet therin. DA 462

No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness to God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven. DA556

To give is to live. The life that will be preserved is the life that is freely given in service to God and man. DA623

The law of self-serving is the law of self-destruction. DA624

How could He show that it is loving service, true humility which constitutes real greatness? DA644

The truest humility is to receive with thankful heart any provision made in our behalf, and with earnestness do service for Christ. DA646

The only greatness is the greatness of humility. The only distinction is found in devotion to the service of others. DA650

The price of heaven is Jesus. The way to heaven is through faith in "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. DA385

Love to God is the very foundation of religion. To engage in His service merely from hope of reward or fear of punishment would avail nothing . Open apostasy would not be more offensive to God than hypocrisy and mere formal worship. PP 523 DA 480

Yours in the Blessed Hope,
MHS