HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6685
07/28/01 07:00 AM
07/28/01 07:00 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Is it Biblical to use SOP:
to open human understanding
prior to Studying / understanding Scripture?

(Question #1.) In other words is it historically proper, are their precedents set to use SOP as the vital key in making sure human understanding of the Bible is in line with God’s intentions and revealed will ?

Has God used the gift of prophecy & the agents used in delivering the gift of prophecy, in the past as a pre Bible study tool, during Bible study tool, and post Bible study tool to prepare people to understand Scripture ?

(Question #2.) Do you want to build opinions & grow to cherish them, then potentially be faced with the painful decision to cherish your opinion or cherish God’s declaration ?

Often to cherish one, is to be forced to discard the other, no matter the spiritual cost to do so. The more cherished the opinion, the greater the effort & cost internally to discard the old one and change it to the new one.

Is their another alternative, do we always have to go through this type of process as we come closer to God?

Yes there is another alternative, one that spares us having to uproot our opinions and ideas so often and so often it would not have been necessarily if we had focused on this type of alternative first.

(Question #3.) If there was an alternative available to you, that did not interfere or decelerate Bible study. A spiritual repositioning as it were, that you and God were in private partnership in (no one else), as far as how you study Scripture that accelerated Scriptural understanding; would you use it ?

God provides detailed explanations of His will & Scripture through SOP, that we might fulfil His intentions that are built into giving Scripture in the first place. If we focus upon His provided tools first, so that we are “on the same page” with God as far as we can be, we can go much further in achieving His will before we stumble around through our own will and devices and have to be rescued from our short comings again and again.

SOP being the one tool that is accessible to any SDA who will obtain it and read it on it’s own, that they personally may have and use God’s tools to come closer to understanding what Scripture means and what God wants. They will bypass many detours, and arrive at God’s objectives, and do so easier and quicker.

Case in point. The Michigan Conference is less than half the total population of this conference as far as State wide population is concerned, their SDA membership is slightly more than double that of this Conference. The Michigan Conference Leadership in power, is very thick with SOP as their focus & marching orders. This accelerates their Scriptural understanding & evangelistic power also. This Conference is very” un thick” with SOP, only has less than half as many SDA’s but twice plus the state population as Michigan, and is decelerated in their Scriptural understanding & evangelism also. In fact due to the “liberal open mindedness”, the SOP is basically persona non gratia in far too many areas in the focus and direction.

If you have a checking / savings account let me illustrate it this way. SOP is your personal & in Church checking account with use instructions. The Bible is your personal & in Church & outside Church savings account with use instructions, that is tied to your checking account. If you over reach your checking funds, over and over, after while you are going to automatically pull from your savings. If you do not pay the proper attention to your checking and replenish your savings, you could create a string of overdrafts with charges and merchant action taken against you at the further reaches of financial carelessness, at the worst case scenario. At best it is annoying, embarrassing, and costs a lot more than the original blunders by the time everything is settled. That’s this world and a check/savings book illustration .

In reality could other people suffer because of our influence and actions that come short, may get forgiven, but rarely get rebuilt by us to what they ought to have been. Do we ever rebuild our spiritual checking/savings & direction back to what it was supposed to be, before the blunders ? We usually just go on to something else after being forgiven, and so easily forget the folks we have not reached who were depending upon someone to make the needed difference. We had been that someone, personally, or as a local Church, or a Conference or Division. How often are we available to reach those opportunities again, how often are those opportunities available for us to reach toward them the second or third time ? If unreached with the messages and personal help they must have, will they be in a state of God’s approval in the judgement of the living ? Will we ?

(Addressing Question #1.)

quote:
{In other words is it historically proper, are their precedents set to use SOP as the vital key in making sure human understanding of the Bible is in line with God’s intentions and revealed will ?

Has God used the gift of prophecy & the agents used in delivering the gift of prophecy, in the past as a pre Bible study tool, during Bible study tool, and post Bible study tool to prepare people to understand Scripture ?}

Chap. 25 - The Foundation of Our Faith
[THIS
ARTICLE APPEARED IN SPECIAL TESTIMONIES,
SERIES B, NO. 2, PAGES 51-59, PUBLISHED IN 1904.]

The Firm Foundation of Our Faith

Many of our people do not realize how firmly the foundation of our faith has been laid. My husband, Elder Joseph Bates, Father Pierce, [OLDER BRETHREN AMONG THE PIONEERS ARE HERE THUS REMINISCENTLY REFERRED TO. "FATHER PIERCE" WAS STEPHEN PIERCE, WHO SERVED IN MINISTERIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE WORK IN THE EARLY DAYS. "FATHER ANDREWS" WAS EDWARD ANDREWS, THE FATHER OF J. N. ANDREWS.--COMPILERS.] Elder {Hiram} Edson, and others who were keen, noble, and true, were among those who, after the passing of the time in 1844, searched for the truth as for hidden treasure. I met with them, and we studied and prayed earnestly. Often we remained together until late at night, and sometimes through the entire night, praying for light and studying the Word. Again and again these brethren came together to study the Bible, in order that they might know its meaning, and be prepared to teach it with power. When they came to the point in their study where they said, "We can do nothing more," the Spirit of the Lord would come upon me, I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given me, with instruction as to how we were to labor and teach effectively. Thus light was given that helped us to understand the scriptures in regard to Christ, His mission, and His priesthood. A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was made plain to me, and I gave to others the instruction that the Lord had given me. {1SM 206.4}

During this whole time I could not understand the reasoning of the brethren. My mind was locked, as it were, and I could not comprehend the meaning of the scriptures we were studying. This was one of the greatest sorrows of my life. I was in this condition of mind until all the principal points of our faith were made clear to our minds, in harmony with the Word of God. The brethren knew that when not in vision, I could not understand these matters, and they accepted as light direct from heaven the revelations given. {1SM 207.1}

For two or three years my mind continued to be locked to an understanding of the Scriptures. In the course of our labors, my husband and I visited Father Andrews, [SEE NOTE ON PAGE 206.] who was suffering intensely with inflammatory rheumatism. We prayed for him. I laid my hands on his head, and said, "Father Andrews, the Lord Jesus maketh thee whole." He was healed instantly. He got up, and walked about the room, praising God, and saying, "I never saw it on this wise before. Angels of God are in this room." The glory of the Lord was revealed. Light seemed to shine all through the house, and an angel's hand was laid upon my head. From that time to this I have been able to understand the Word of God. {1SM 207.2}

What influence is it would lead men at this stage of our history to work in an underhand, powerful way to tear down the foundation of our faith--the foundation that was laid at the beginning of our work by prayerful study of the Word and by revelation? Upon this foundation we have been building for the past fifty years. Do you wonder that when I see the beginning of a work that would remove some of the pillars of our faith, I have something to say? I must obey the command, "Meet it!" . . . {1SM 207.3}

I must bear the messages of warning that God gives me to bear, and then leave with the Lord the results. I must now present the matter in all its bearings; for the people of God must not be despoiled. {1SM 208.1}

We are God's commandment-keeping people. For the past fifty years every phase of heresy has been brought to bear upon us, to becloud our minds regarding the teaching of the Word--especially concerning the ministration of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, and the message of Heaven for these last days, as given by the angels of the fourteenth chapter of Revelation. Messages of every order and kind have been urged upon Seventh-day Adventists, to take the place of the truth which, point by point, has been sought out by prayerful study, and testified to by the miracle-working power of the Lord. But the waymarks which have made us what we are, are to be preserved, and they will be preserved, as God has signified through His Word and the testimony of His Spirit. He calls upon us to hold firmly, with the grip of faith, to the fundamental principles that are based upon unquestionable authority. {1SM 208.2}
(End of part 1)

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6686
07/28/01 07:37 AM
07/28/01 07:37 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
problems with codes & posting part 2 will be delayed.

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited July 28, 2001).]

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6687
07/28/01 08:24 AM
07/28/01 08:24 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
(part - 2)
Nehemiah 8:7 Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites,caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

(It seems SOP preforms the function of these men listed in verse seven, in our present understanding of Scripture . The question is, would a person like tutoring after discrepancies or beforehand ?)

Nehemiah 8:13 And on the second day were gathered together the chief of the fathers of all the people, the priests, and the Levites, unto Ezra the scribe, even to understand the words of the law.

Psalms 119:27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.

Isaiah 28: 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For(1.) precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; (2.)line upon line, line upon line; (3.)here a little, and there a little:
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said,This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little;that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
14 ¶Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.
15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
(To Biblically“hear” Scripture & doctrines of Scripture, means to understand with the intent & action to observe or do what the Word says. Ed’s note)
16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.
God was teaching them through corcumstances and people and the gift of prophecy how to understand and perform the Scripture they already had.

The SOP & Scriptures are built in such a way as to make sure all who are willing can meet this Stone in peace. That the Scriptures & this Stone be revealed unto them through the SOP as well as their own hearts. In order that they not need be in the self deceived group that thinks they can trick God and hide their evils and connive their way into eternal life as sinners and con artists.

Daniel 8:
16 And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said,Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision.

(Christianity is a mystery religion. Until it is explained to you {both internally & externally, it is something you can not invent on your own. Notice the things Gabriel did & Daniel’s responses before he was caused to understand.)

17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground:but he touched me, and set me upright.
19 And he said, Behold,I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.
15 ¶ And it came to pass,when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
27 And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king’s business;and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

Daniel 9:
¶ In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans;
2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.
3 AndI set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:
4 ¶ AndI prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said,O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;

Now God uses the SOP as conveyed by Gabriel to instruct Daniel in understanding Scripture. it was not even the skill of Daniel that caused him to receive and understand the visions. It was Gabriel doing both the giving the visions and explaining what they ment. Human brain power was insufficent, God did not upbraid Daniel for being unable to understand, He honored him and sent one of the two covering Cherubs to explain things to Him.

20 ¶ And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;
21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer,even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.
22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.
23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth,and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

Daniel 10:
1 ¶ In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true,but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.
2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel;
5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked,and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:
6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.
7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.
8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.
9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: andwhen I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.
10 ¶ And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.
11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved,understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright:for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.
12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God,thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
14 Now I am come to make thee understand
what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.
15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.
16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my Lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.
17 For how can the servant of this my Lord talk with this my Lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.
18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,
19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my Lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.
20 Then said he,Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.
21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Notice that nobody else understood those visions, except God, untill Gabriel explained them to Daniel. No wonder human brain power was insufficent to understand them until they were explained .

Micah 4:12 But they know not the thoughts of the LORD, neither understand they his counsel: for he shall gather them as the sheaves into the floor.

(End of part 2)

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited July 28, 2001).]

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6688
07/29/01 06:52 AM
07/29/01 06:52 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
(Part - 3 - New Testament Action, due to code / browser / snafu’s - it will be posted in sections using the edit feature. So the post will be incomplete till labeled done. Sorry for the delay. )

Continued problems, I'll keep working on it.

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited August 04, 2001).]

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6689
07/29/01 08:23 AM
07/29/01 08:23 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
When I studied at university, I soon became aware that information wasn't the only purpose of study. The research process was equally important in every subject.
It is true that God has revealed His will and plans in the SOP. But He never intended us to put the bible to one side and get our truth "made easy" by only referring to SOP. If your argument about avoiding having to change our opinions of what the bible is saying once we're confronted with the truths of SOP were realistic, then you must believe that we cannot prove our beliefs by the bible alone. We can, and there are some wonderful bible students out there who can demonstrate all 27 fundamentals via scripture. They know it all off by heart, and can discuss any topic with a non-Adventist who is searching for truth. They don't have to convince anyone of the truth of Ellen White's gift in order to study the bible.
Whenever people major in SOP quotes instead of bible texts, there is a problem. God convicts via SOP, but lives are not changed in the same way as they are during bible study. The study of the bible effects change, as a person drinks from the water of life, and feeds on the bread of life.
We cripple our capacity to discern when we fail to study scripture to find truth for ourselves. If you don't use it you lose it. If you look at the examples quoted, you find the bible was studied first, then SOP enlightened where no further progress could be made, or no definitive answer could be found. That was in the past. There are always new things to be found from scripture, which is inexhaustible. And I'm not referring to anything contrary to what has been revealed. But not all things have been revealed, and folk have insights all the time.

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6690
07/29/01 07:09 PM
07/29/01 07:09 PM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
The concept of human education is built in two different polorizations.

1. "I think therefore I am." See Greek / Roman / Arabian Philosophy, for the existing paradigm of how the typical university conducts the concept and process of education. The history of university as an educational model is too easily flawed by human divising restructuring the foundations and beliefs that create the nature and process and results of the education offered.

Human pride can flourish in such an environment. Lots of money, prestige, power can be generated there, by the movers and shakers, and that spirit inculcated to develop later in the next generation of future movers and shakers. From country to country and society to society the nature of the potential remains the same. Too often the results also remain the same.

That is not the best for secular society, but it is destructive in nature for any relegious people striving for cohesiveness and unity under the direction of the object of their religious worship. Unless the object of their religious worship created the university model they use.

History shows that the contemporary university concept is Greek / Roman / Arabian in nature. It's concepts follow the nature of it's founding.

it is a marked feature that Jesus did not follow this model of education, yet exceeded those who did and in their own field of endevor at that, even as a twelve year old boy talking with life long student/teacher/professor/doctors of relegious law.

While the university model is sufficent for an MD, DO, PhD, etc; it is far insufficent for "Christ in you the hope of glory".

My advise is, study under God's tutoring and build your faith to maturity. If your secular calling requires it, after obtaining God's permission & blessing, go to the university He designates for you. Sequester your studies to preserve your faith and achive the goals set for you by God and your proclivities.

Leave the university when it's function relative to God's leading you in it is over, and go about the work set for you; do not linger there.

2. Depending upon God to set the terms of thought & direction firsthand and act as tutor throughtout the process.

See Deuteronomy 29:29(KJV)

Read the declarations of Jesus & John the Baptist's childhood and education, as it relates to their missions and the results to be achived within them and later through them. Their education was built upon a different model than existing universities of their time and ours also. The results in them and through them was also of a different nature. To nurture their development through contemporary thought of their day and our day, would have prevented the development that caused the later results we seek to emulate even yet today.

The paradigm of what (KJV) describes in Deuteronomy 29:29 & Isaiah 8:20 & (Deuteronomy 8:3; refered quotes given in Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:4)is offered in contrast and comparision the the model and paradigm of university thought. The goal of "Christ in you the hope of glory"The results and process needed to obtain and achive those results are they actually possible or even probable under the paradigm of "I think therefore I am"?

Secular preperation for secular endevors is not the considerations being discussed here.

Is it an appropriate content and process of education that tries to obtain and achive "Christ in you the hope of glory", one built upon the Duteronomy 29:29 model?

Once I have finished developing the posting of the content of reasoning I am offering it will aid to clarify what I am trying to say and why. Unfortunatly either I am making errors in inserting ubb / html codes, or my word processing - browser - MSDAOL BBS software pathway is a problem, or both.

I am not anathematizing secondary education, nor Bible study however light or deep. I am preposing investigation of an old method suggested by Deuteronomy 29:29. That method showing it's world wide trend among SOP driven SDA Bible students, seen as they come together and find each other; having never seen or contacted each other before.

Such people demonstrating the "one Lord, one faith" & "same mindedness" spoken of in Ephesians 4:2-6; Romans 12:5 -16; 1 Corinthians 1:4 - 17; Philippians 4:1 -2; 1st Peter 4:1,2 . These declared and commissioned & undeclared and uncommissioned missionaries, once coming together show by their speach & focus & actions, a unity of thought and action and mission, that is unique to SOP driven study. I have not forgotten those observed phenomna when the people ranging from unsung SDA missionaries up to Robert Peirson would come to Wildwood and stay awhile along their journey, during my student days. From the lowest position to the highest position these workers displayed a mindset, spirit & attitude that was common to and unique to SOP driven Bible study & life. Their ages and experiences ranged from personally knowing EGW to the present at that time. If that dies out from us as a people, or where it has, we are a dead people. SOP is the part of the open door experience given that can not be closed, else you are hitting the wall of the closed door that can not be moved.

These peoples study was driven by the unification and clarification from SOP, not dominated or obliterated by it. The SOP is the rocket and it's fuel that propels them into the vastness of Bible study. It does not replace Bible study. I have never tried to hint at that, when in discussion assumptions are offered by the persons discussing the topic; some times those assumptions get mixed into the perceptions of what the topic is or what the topic starter is trying to say.

If I have given such inference, I did not intend to & apologize. The goal is to go into Scripture where Jesus leads you. Such a journey would be of a nature as to facilitate practical applications for the salvation of others. He never satisfies unuseable speculation that feeds human vanity.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited July 29, 2001).]

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6691
07/30/01 08:24 AM
07/30/01 08:24 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Edward, I wasn't extolling the virtues of tertiary study.
"Secular preperation for secular endevors is not the considerations being discussed here."
I was trying to explain that information is not the only goal. The process is often the goal, too, and that includes our spiritual life. Why study, when you can be told by the preacher?
I may be missing your point, but you seem to be saying the SOP unifies where no unity could otherwise exist. Isn't that the role of the Holy Spirit?
"If that dies out from us as a people, or where it has, we are a dead people. "
SOP can't die out from converted people who are walking daily with the Lord. It can, and does, die out when every bible text has to be run by SOP for its meaning. I've seen it happen frequently in the lives of solid SOP-quoting Adventists.
I, too, have cherished quotes from SOP. But rather forget them all, than to forget all the scripture verses I learned as a child. Remember, the bible is the GREATER light. If you're wandering in darkness, which light is going to show you more of the way?

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6692
08/04/01 06:01 AM
08/04/01 06:01 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
The point I am trying to make is this, I believe that there is a different method of Bible study that is better that the current predominant one, based upon my personal observations of trends within the SDA body of faith, covering decades. Most of the current predominant methods being touted are not the methods that built the common people up in the SDA faith. If the people did not study and did not take up Church responsibilities, they used no methods of study consistantly and took others words for what was true or not. These people were not being built up in the faith nor were trying to build others up.

So for a more representative group of faith building SDA's I would look at people who did carry responsibilities, both locally and traveling missionaries, preachers, evangelists, conference officers, etc.

Wildwood was a good vantage point. You got to talk to SDA pioneers who personally knew EGW & her contemporaries, self supporting missionaries from all over the world, church officers from every level. The tendency of Wildwood acted as a screening system. Those who did not like SOP tended not to come there during their travels, I got to see & contrast them elsewhere. The effects of SOP verses no SOP or forced lip service to SOP, got contrasted with each visitor, and I tried as a new SDA to pay attention to the phenomenon and the trends. I and others from those circumstances are witnesses of a different system of thought and study than is in predominant display now.

Am I correct that the predominant methods of Bible study within the SDA body of belief relies upon, historisism or futureism or some form of critism analysis and comparisons of translations and paraphrases, word studies and contexts ?

I am attempting through Bible & SOP evidence and trends, display the existance and validity of this other system of study and it's merits and ways, means, and goals.

My problems with codes transfering or messing up from my word processor software & MSDAOL posting is delaying the process and fragmenting the topic thesis. Please be patient.

(Daryl) I need a screen that I can edit in WYSIWYG, instead of an little edit screen that can not display hidden codes like hidden hard returns where I don't want them. Help.....?????

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6693
08/06/01 12:09 PM
08/06/01 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
I will add bold & italics & underlining later.

(Part - 3 New Testament Action)
Matthew 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Matthew 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Matthew 13:15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
Mark 12:33 And to (1.)love him with all the heart, (2.)and with all the understanding, (3.)and with all the soul, (4.)and with all the strength, (5.)and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
Luke 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

(If they don’t intend to follow, they don’t need to know, what is reserved for those who do intend to follow.)

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
John 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
This opening the understanding is built supernaturally, but passed from person to person by other people after the fact, either by word of mouth or printed or other media.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said,If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Philip could only tell what he understood & understood how to teach. Philip was ready, and he needed to teach the eunuch, now the eunuch was ready, God was ready’ and there was water ready for baptism by full immersion. When they were come up out of the water, God snatched away Philip in plain sight of the eunuch. The eunuch had to realize God sent this man to explain the things I needed, and to baptize me, now God has moved him on to elsewhere. How much I mean to God, to have Him do that for me. The SOP is the modern day Philip, sent for us, the eunuch. We understand what we read so little, and need some one sent from God, trained by God, ready to reach us for God, and the SOP is just that servant or Deacon(ess) sent to rescue us from a speeding chariot headed the wrong way. We were headed away as a people from the water of baptism, of full understanding & full surrender. SOP convinced us as a people to stop the chariot beside the all sufficient water of life to get full newness of life - just like baptism of a converted person, and giving us reasons to desire to & direction to accomplish that new birth via understanding Scripture, from the messenger God sent to teach us.

We have no future of our own on our own, we are like the perpetually childless eunuch. Abiding in Scripture through the explanations & directions of the SOP, we will be baptized by One greater than Philip, and have no longer our lack of future, but His inheritance and limitless future before us. If we will not revere SOP, we can not revere Scripture.

Jesus contrasted faithfulness in stewardship, with unfaithfulness in stewardship. When you inject the attitudes toward SOP, in the place of stewardship how does it seem?

Luke 16:
10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man’s, who shall give you that which is your own?
13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Is anything united with the law, as far as directing human SDA life on Earth?
Isaiah 8:
19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. (The testimony is united with the law or Scriptures. ) (But whose testimony ?)
21 And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.
22 And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.
Isaiah 9:
1 ¶ Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations.
2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
8 ¶ The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
John 9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
1 Corinthians 1:
6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
10 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Revelation 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Revelation 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Revelation 15:5 And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:
Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Romans 15:21 But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.

Acts 28:26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
Acts 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
To protect us from being a covenant breaking, blinded, loveless people, the SOP was given.

Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Romans 15:21 But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
The SOP was given that The Bible should not be an unknown tongue to us. That God should not speak to us in an unknown way, but rather have a Divinely provided interpreter that we might understand His speech.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1 Corinthians 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Ephesians 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Philippians 1:12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;
Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Colossians 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
Colossians 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
1 Timothy 1:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
(Our danger as we swerve from SOP & try to bring up new sensational or relevantly trendy cultural affirmations from the Bible, and stroke ego’s in print or from the pulpit. The SOP was our interpreter of Scripture sent from God, and we speak in the unknown tongue of theological gibberish and doctrines of devils when we do not keep our Scriptural understanding focused upon the accuracy that SOP points out & explains in private, that a righteous truthful message may be Scripturally sounded in public. Rightly dividing the Word of God and having studied His designated “statutes” (SOP of the last days) to indeed show the speaker & their message approved by Him.

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
We as a people & individuals & families & groups & local Churches have a job to do. SOP gives us as a people His understanding of what the job is, and how He expects us to do it. What do these texts bring to mind ? If you had no SOP and never read it, what would these texts bring to mind ?

After you have read SOP concerning what these texts refer to, what do you understand now, compared to before ?

Daniel 12:
1 ¶ And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Revelation 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6694
08/06/01 12:16 PM
08/06/01 12:16 PM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
As you know I often read SOP and recommend it to other SDA's. Often it has a lot of straight forward things to say. Too often folks never get over the shock of whatever their feelings are and look deeper. Even the guy who found extreme wealth through emeralds, had to dig a little bit to get them.

If any person at church (no matter their present mind set) read a SOP article 3-4 times, each time in a different way, they would find (dirt first, rough uncut emeralds second, and what to do with those rough uncut emeralds to make them valuable {how to get them cut - polished - and turned into spendable currencies.}

Ok, on to what I mean.

(1.) First read what it says at face value.

It tells how to remove the dirt or causes you to recognize the dirt and the need to take action, and usually spells out the appropriate actions.

(2.) Second re-read what it says, looking for the stated and implied options offered you, through what it says. Notice any directions on how to make use of these options. An option is an opportunity that you have to recognize as such, then put to use according to what it is built to achieve.

(3.) Third re-read what it says, looking for the flip side, or the opposite of the dirt to be removed, but looking rather for the treasure to be gained during the digging and dirt removal and after the dirt is gotten out of the way. How do you recognize this heretofore unseen treasure, and make it useful and valuable for yourself ?

(4.) After the lessons of 1-3 have done their work, the person will want to move to stage four. How do I share these benefits with others ?

But until stages 1-3 have done their work, they recognize no buried emeralds in the dirt under their beat up garage floor and stay as poor as ever, when they could have been both rich and doing a lot of good things with those new riches.

Holding onto to dirt & junk when emeralds are six feet under your garage floor keeps a person poor and blind and naked and lonely. Everyone is friends to the rich guy, but nobody knows the bum from last week. ( Last week he didn't have the riches.)

Being an economic bum, and being rich is a matter of assets. The same person having them - is rich on Nob Hill, or without them - the broke bum in Shanty Town USA.

Being a spiritual bum, and being spiritually rich is a matter of assets. (Spiritual assets = The Words of God in all their forms, their options & promises & owning them through using them . ) The same person having them - is rich in God no matter their physical circumstances, or without them - the spiritually bankrupt bum on numb heart pew, Shanty Town Church, located at Dead Form & Ceremonies Lane, USA.

Being SDA is what you put into it, and God has lots of emeralds and so on, under the garage floor.

The Bible coupled with the SOP, are God's construction, excavation equipment. But like any new job, orientation & continuing on the job education is needed.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Techniques & Emeralds in the new basement #6695
08/11/01 06:08 AM
08/11/01 06:08 AM
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Presentation of the Spirit of Prophecy

New Believers to Have Clear Understanding.--As the end draws near, and the work of giving the last warning to the world extends, it becomes more important for those who accept present truth to have a clear understanding of the nature and influence of the Testimonies, which God in His providence has linked with the work of the third angel's message from its very rise.--Testimonies, vol. 5, p. 654. (1889) {Ev 255.2}

God's Present-Day Instruction.--In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles. In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit. There was never a time when God instructed His people more earnestly than He instructs them now concerning His will, and the course that He would have them pursue.--Testimonies, vol. 5, p. 661. (1889) {Ev 255.3}

Frequently Neglected.--Ministers frequently neglect these important branches of the work--health reform, spiritual gifts, systematic benevolence, and the great branches of the missionary work. Under their labors large numbers may embrace the theory of the truth, but in time it is found that there are many who will not bear the proving of God. The minister laid upon the foundation, hay, wood, and stubble, which would be consumed by the fire of temptation.-- Review and Herald, Dec. 12, 1878. {Ev 256.1}

Not to Take Place of the Bible.--The testimonies of Sister White should not be carried to the front. God's Word is the unerring standard. The Testimonies are not to take the place of the Word. Great care should be exercised by all believers to advance these questions carefully, and always stop when you have said enough. Let all prove their positions from the Scriptures and substantiate every point they claim as truth from the revealed Word of God.--Letter 12, 1890. {Ev 256.2}

Testimonies Not Ahead of Bible.--The more we look at the promises of the Word of God, the brighter they grow. The more we practice them, the deeper will be our understanding of them. Our position and faith is in the Bible. And never do we want any soul to bring in the Testimonies ahead of the Bible. --Manuscript 7, 1894. {Ev 256.3}

Purpose of the Testimonies.--The Word of God is sufficient to enlighten the most beclouded mind, and
may be understood by those who have any desire to understand it. But notwithstanding all this, some who profess to make the Word of God their study, are found living in direct opposition to its plainest teachings. Then, to leave men and women without excuse, God gives plain and pointed testimonies, bringing them back to the Word that they have neglected to follow. The Word of God abounds in general principles for the formation of correct habits of living, and the Testimonies, general and personal, have been calculated to call their attention more especially to these principles.--Testimonies, vol. 5, pp. 663, 664. (1889) {Ev 256.4}

The Greater and Lesser Lights.--Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light.-- Colporteur Evangelist, p. 37. (1902) {Ev 257.1}

Illustration: Presenting the Spirit of Prophecy.-- Elder _____ enters into no controversy with opponents. He presents the Bible so clearly that it is evident that anyone who differs must do so in opposition to the Word of God. {Ev 257.2}

Friday evening and Sabbath forenoon he spoke upon the subject of spiritual gifts, dwelling especially upon the Spirit of prophecy. Those who were present at these discourses say that he treated the subject in a clear, forceful manner.--Letter 388, 1906. {Ev 257.3}

In his teaching Elder _____ showed that the Spirit of prophecy has an important part to act in the establishment of the truth. When binding off his work, he called for me . . . to speak to the people.--Letter 400, 1906. {Ev 257.4}

Give Time to Weigh Evidence.--In the last vision given at Battle Creek I was shown that an unwise course was taken at _____ in regard to the visions at the time of the organization of the church there. There were some in _____ who were God's children, and yet doubted the visions. Others had no opposition, yet dared not take a decided stand in regard to them. Some were skeptical, and they had sufficient cause to make them so. The false visions and fanatical exercises, and the wretched fruits following, had an influence upon the cause in _____, to make minds jealous of everything bearing the name of visions. All these things should have been taken into consideration, and wisdom exercised. There should be no trial or labor with those who have never seen the individual having visions, and who have had no personal knowledge of the influence of the visions. Such should not be deprived of the benefits and privileges of the church, if their Christian course is otherwise correct, and they have formed a good Christian character. {Ev 257.5}

Some, I was shown, could receive the published visions, judging of the tree by its fruits. Others are like doubting Thomas; they cannot believe the published Testimonies, nor receive evidence through the testimony of others, but must see and have the evidence for themselves. Such must not be set aside, but long patience and brotherly love should be exercised toward them until they find their position and become established for or against. If they fight against the visions, of which they have no knowledge; if they carry their opposition so far as to oppose that in which they have had no experience, and feel annoyed when those who believe that the visions are of God speak of them in meeting, and comfort themselves with the instruction given through vision, the church may know that they are not right.--Testimonies, vol. 1, pp. 327-329. (1862){Ev 258.1}

Driven to a Premature Position.--I have been shown that some, especially in _____, make the visions a rule by which to measure all; and have taken a course which my husband and myself have never pursued. Some are unacquainted with me and my labors, and they are very skeptical of anything bearing the name of visions. This is all natural, and can be overcome only by experience. If persons are not settled in regard to the visions, they should not be crowded off. The course to pursue with such may be found in Testimony No. 8 [volume 1, pages 328, 329], which I hope will be read by all. Ministers should have compassion of some, making a difference; others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire. God's ministers should have wisdom to give to everyone his portion of meat, and to make that difference with different persons which their cases require. The course pursued with some in _____ who are unacquainted with me, has not been careful and consistent. Those who were, comparatively, strangers to the visions, have been dealt with in the same manner as those who have had much light and experience in the visions. Some have been required to indorse the visions when they could not conscientiously do so, and in this way some honest souls have been driven to take positions against the visions and against the body, which they never would have taken had their cases been managed with discretion and mercy.--Testimonies, vol. 1, pp. 382, 383. (1863) {Ev 259.1}

Overcoming the Opposition.--The ministers (non-S.D.A.) are opening up their tirade, and against Mrs. White in particular. But this is only hurting themselves. . . . I am placing Desire of Ages, Great Controversy, Patriarchs and Prophets, and Christ Our Saviour in families; so while the ministers are working against me, I will speak in my writings to the people. I believe souls will be converted to the truth. We are now turning them to the law and to the testimonies. If they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.--Letter 217, 1899. {Ev 259.2}

Judged by Their Fruits.--Let the Testimonies be judged by their fruits. What is the spirit of their teaching? What has been the result of their influence? All who desire to do so can acquaint themselves with the fruits of these visions. . . . {Ev 260.1}

God is either teaching His church, reproving their wrongs, and strengthening their faith, or He is not. This work is of God, or it is not. God does nothing in partnership with Satan. My work . . . bears the stamp of God, or the stamp of the enemy. There is no halfway work in the matter. The Testimonies are of the Spirit of God, or of the devil.--Testimonies, vol. 5, p. 671. (1889) {Ev 260.2}

God Speaks Through Testimonies.--We must follow the directions given through the Spirit of prophecy. We must love and obey the truth for this time. This will save us from accepting strong delusions. God has spoken to us through His Word. He has spoken to us through the Testimonies to the church, and through the books that have helped to make plain our present duty and the position that we should now occupy.--Testimonies, vol. 8, p. 298. (1904) {Ev 260.3}

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!