HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7024
06/06/05 03:39 AM
06/06/05 03:39 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Claudia:

Good stuff. No one can commit to God and call his messenger a liar.

quote:
But Jesus said, "Don't stop him, because anyone who uses my name to do powerful things will not easily say evil things about me. Whoever is not against us is with us.
Mark 9:39 & 40 NCV

Wouldn't the opposite also be true? "Whoever is against us is not with us."

I still wonder, why would anyone want to be an Adventist if they think the leaders and majority of the church are wrong?

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7025
06/06/05 06:54 AM
06/06/05 06:54 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Why would the Lord inspire Sister White to refuse the name of "prophet", which she clearly did?

Well, here's one good reason:

The term was used by Satan's agents. To create confusion is his game. Examples of major self proclaimed "prophets" during EGW's lifetime:

Joseph Smith (Mormons),
Baha'u'llah (Baha'i),
Charles Taze Russell (Jehovah's Witnesses),
Mary Baker Eddy (Christian Science),
Madame Blavatsky (Theosophy) and dozens of other minor league spiritualistic mediums and players that were constantly battling for the hearts of the fallen churches of the Victorian era.

God is not without wisdom; He instructed EGW not to use that term for herself because of this prostitution of the station's name.

But she clearly did not deny God speaking through her, merely a better term was applied.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7026
06/06/05 11:04 AM
06/06/05 11:04 AM
Jan  Offline
Ohio
quote:
ISM p. 36: My work includes much more than this name (prophetess) signifies. I regard myself as a messenger, entrusted by the Lord with messages for His people....My commission embraces the work of a prophet, but it does not end there...
Mrs. White did not disclaim that part of her calling included the role of prophet, but that there was too much more involved to limit her work with that title.

I have always been thankful that the church that studied with us took 5 months to do it and did a thorough job. I was so thrilled to learn Bible truth after years of confusion, but when the subject of SOP came up I was horrified. I remember thinking, everything so far has been nothing but truth, but this is weird. The people studying with us patiently took us through the subject, and we were convinced. If they hadn't taken this time to study it with us, my prejudices may have remained to this day. I have seen evangelists baptise people after attending just one meeting...they rarely stay, which isn't at all surprising. As one lady put it, "Why didn't they tell me instead of letting me embarrass myself." I don't think anyone is saying people should be able to pass a college course, but I do believe we could have avoided many of the problems we face today if we had been upfront with people before baptising them.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7027
06/06/05 12:04 PM
06/06/05 12:04 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Claudia Thompson:
I thought the Spirit of Prophecy is the Testimony of Jesus?

Rv:19:10: And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Rv:12:17: And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

so the question I would have is

Lk:6:46: And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Yep, the biblical definition of "SOP" starts with genesis 1:1

/Thomas

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7028
06/08/05 03:11 AM
06/08/05 03:11 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
No one has answerd this question, so I'll ask it again.

I still wonder, why would anyone want to be an Adventist if they think the leaders and majority of the church are wrong?

Is it because they like the comfort of belonging to a church? If that is the case, it is pretty usless, as membership in a church is not what saves anyone.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7029
06/07/05 05:04 PM
06/07/05 05:04 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I think following the leader or people is not wise, but people join the Seventh-Day Adventist church because of the Bible truths it expands on, and how they (new converts, or soon to be) are shown these truths during their Bible studies i.e. Salvation, State of the dead, Prophecy in Daniel, Jesus Second Coming, the Sabbath, Creation, and much more all with the Bible. I joined because I know that the end time people will have the faith of Jesus and keept the commandments. Its not a perfect church, but neither are the members, or this world for that matter.
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7030
06/07/05 07:11 PM
06/07/05 07:11 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
That is true, but if one views one of the major church's teachings to be false, why would they want to be a part of it? Do they think to change what they perceive as wrong?

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7031
06/07/05 10:05 PM
06/07/05 10:05 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Ahh that places this topic in a whole different perspective. If you find a teaching false then it needs to be proven:
A. False according to Scripture
B. True according to Scripture

The Bereans never followed blindly, but studied everything that was said if it was true. We are told in the Bible to do so.

Now here are 2 questions:
1. If we find a discrepency in Sister White's writing what do you do?
2. Are there changes to what Sister White wrote that are not in harmony with the Bible?
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7032
06/07/05 10:36 PM
06/07/05 10:36 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
Will, now you have crossed into another subject, the infallibility of Mrs. White. A quite interesting subject.

To me it is simple, if a person does not believe as the church believes they owe it to themselves and the members to not join, or if joined then they should ask that their names be removed from the rolls. It is the honest thing to do. When someone identifies themselves as a SDA it should, and will, be assumed that they believe as the church does, including belief in Mrs. White as a messenger/prophet, just as it would be assumed they believe in the 7th day Sabbath. A person cannot pick and chose which of the 27 fundies they wish to follow, if that were the case there would be no cohesion or unified purpose within the church and it could not continue to exist as it is now. An example of this is the World Wide Church of God which fell apart when it abandoned one of it's basic beliefs.

Redfog

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7033
06/07/05 11:04 PM
06/07/05 11:04 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thats very true Redfog. In fact it is very clear in the Bible that the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy. When a person bears witness of Christ and provides insight which point to Christ that is the Spirit of Prophecy which is for the remnant church, or that which remains after the bulk of the body of Christ has decided thaat it wants to be part of the world. Interesting stuff.
God Bless,
Will

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!