HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,538 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7093
10/16/05 05:07 AM
10/16/05 05:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The reason I posted the quotes was to point out the importance of looking at the underlying principles involved.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7094
10/16/05 02:51 PM
10/16/05 02:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, is it not true that you also believe Satan, and not God, is the one who employs the forces of fire and water to destroy people? Did you not post those quotes to prove that Sister White did not mean to imply that it was God who used water to punish and to destroy the antediluvians? that God will not use fire to punish and to destroy the unsaved at the end of time?

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7095
10/16/05 02:58 PM
10/16/05 02:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Daryl, do you think the chapter I posted needs further explanation, further interpretation? Or, does it stand alone?

The quotes Tom posted introduce awesome and solid principles as to why God has, and will, use the forces of nature to punish and to destroy unsaved sinners. They also point out that, at times, God commissions evil angels to do His biddings, to spread desolation everywhere. There is a quote Tom did not post (unless I overlooked it):

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7096
10/16/05 04:13 PM
10/16/05 04:13 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
MM,

To me the chapter you quoted is obviously clear and in context, whereas, I am not so certain about the ones Tom Ewall quoted. I would say that the ones he quoted needs to be looked at in respect to the chapter you quoted.

[Caution] We shouldn't be interpreting anything to what we think it should be saying, but to what it is saying. [Caution]

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7097
10/16/05 05:57 PM
10/16/05 05:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why does a quote which says that God destroys stand on its own, but a quote that says He doesn't destroy is out of context? I didn't merely present a single quote, but a whole slew of quotes which explain that force is not a principle of God's government. How is context involed here?

If the statement that force is not a principle of God's government is dependent on context, then it's not true. A principle is not dependent upon context by definition. Otherwise it's not a principle.

Consider the principle that God is not a respector of persons, or to use more modern language, does not show favortism. If this is dependent upon context, then this is not a principle. If God sometimes shows favortism, but sometimes doesn't, then it cannot be said, as a principle, that God does not show favortism.

Similarly if God only uses force as a last resort, then it cannot be said that force is not a principle of God's government. In this case, force would be a principle of God's government, and the statement would be false.

Also my question regarding force as the last resort of false religion applies. If force is also the last resort of true religion, then what's the difference? Why even make the statement that force is the last restort of false religion if it's also the last resort of true religion?

And what about the statement that all we can know about God was revealed in Christ? Where in Christ's life do we see the predisposition to destroy those who disagreed with Him, even as a last resort? Where did Christ ever use force to get His way?

Was Christ a full and complete revelation of God's character?

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7098
10/16/05 06:07 PM
10/16/05 06:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, is it not true that you also believe Satan, and not God, is the one who employs the forces of fire and water to destroy people? Did you not post those quotes to prove that Sister White did not mean to imply that it was God who used water to punish and to destroy the antediluvians? that God will not use fire to punish and to destroy the unsaved at the end of time?
You're taking my statements out of context. Here's what I think:

1)God is constantly at work to protect us from forces which would destroy us (which include both natural and supernatural forces).
2)When God removes His protective/sustaining hand then ruin results.

God knows exactly what will happen when He removes His hand, and it is He who controls the forces of nature. In this way He controls fire and water to accomplish His purposes.

What should be understood is that sin is incredibly destructive, more than we can imagine. We cannot know how deeply we are dependent upon God's protective care. To get an inkling of sin's destructive power, consider that suns from far distant galaxies are constantly burning out. Death is even found in distant stars.

According the second law of thermodynamics, the destinty of the universe is to reach a state of uniform heat, with no order at all. This is the destructive power of sin at work.

The Ministry of Healing, page 416 I think, brings out that it is only by the power of God that the earth stays in its orbit, and that our hearts continue to beat. The common thought is that nature has inherent power to continue on its own, but this is false. It is only by the power of God that life can exist or be sustained at all.

It is our ignorance of the forces of destruction which lead us to underestimate God's work to protect and sustain us. For God to bring about destruction, it is not necessary for Him to do anything other than remove His protective and sustaining hand.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7099
10/16/05 10:51 PM
10/16/05 10:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, while I admit that your idea harmonizes with some of what Sister White wrote, it does not, however, agree with everything she wrote about the arsenal of God.

And, it is a mistake to assume she expected us to interpret what she wrote at the beginning of this thread to mean God did not, or does not, use the forces of nature to punish and destroy unsaved sinners.

Nor does it make sense, to me, that she expected us to believe she meant God simply stopped holding back the inevitable forces of nature, or that they are eager to spread desolation everywhere.

Here's what she wrote, at the beginning of thisthread, about the forces of nature:

quote:
God controls all these elements; they are his instruments to do his will; he calls them into action to serve his purpose. These fiery issues have been, and will be his agents to blot out from the earth very wicked cities.

There’s nothing stated, or even remotely implied, that God withdraws His protection and then the forces of nature wreak the havoc they’ve been eager to dole out.

quote:
There is much talk about God in nature, as if the Lord were bound by the laws of nature to be nature's servant. Many theories would lead minds to suppose that nature is a self-sustaining agency apart from the Deity, having its own inherent power with which to work. In this men do not know what they are talking about. Do they suppose that nature has a self-existing power without the continual agency of Jehovah? The Lord does not work through His laws to supersede the laws of nature. He does His work through the laws and properties of His instruments, and nature obeys a "Thus saith the Lord." {6T 186.1}

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7100
10/17/05 02:35 AM
10/17/05 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Before addressing this post, I note that I asked 7 questions I think in a post two before this, and none of these questions have been answered. In fact, I have been asking the same question for several weeks, if not several months, and I think it would be really, really cool if you, or someone else who disagrees with the concepts I've been presenting, would answer them.

Tom, while I admit that your idea harmonizes with some of what Sister White wrote, it does not, however, agree with everything she wrote about the arsenal of God.

I just presented principles she wrote, such as:
1)All that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son.
2)Force is not a principle of God's government, but is only to be found in Satan's government.
3)Force is the last resort of false religion.

I do not see how any of these statements could be construed as agreesing with some of what EGW wrote. Perhaps you could explain this to me.

And, it is a mistake to assume she expected us to interpret what she wrote at the beginning of this thread to mean God did not, or does not, use the forces of nature to punish and destroy unsaved sinners.

I didn't asser this, did I?

Nor does it make sense, to me, that she expected us to believe she meant God simply stopped holding back the inevitable forces of nature, or that they are eager to spread desolation everywhere.

Why not? To deny this is to deny that sin is destructive, and, to my mind at least, denies the clear statements in MH 416 (about God's sustaining work) and GC the first chapter, especially 35-37)

Here's what she wrote, at the beginning of thisthread, about the forces of nature:

quote:
God controls all these elements; they are his instruments to do his will; he calls them into action to serve his purpose. These fiery issues have been, and will be his agents to blot out from the earth very wicked cities.
I agree with this, and she explains many times exactly how God will do this. For example:

quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.(14 MR 3)
There’s nothing stated, or even remotely implied, that God withdraws His protection and then the forces of nature wreak the havoc they’ve been eager to dole out.

That's not true. There are many statements which explain this, such as the one I quoted. Plus this is the only explanation which agrees with the principles I cited (the ones numbered 1-3 above)

I would suggest in dealing with the subject that one should think of the principles involved, and not just think in terms of proof texts. Consider Rev. 20:10. This is a famous proof text for those who believe that hell is eternal. When one considers the principles involved, and takes into account all of Scripture, then one can see this text does not mean what it may appear to say.

The same methodology should be used in considering statements from EGW.

There is much talk about God in nature, as if the Lord were bound by the laws of nature to be nature's servant. Many theories would lead minds to suppose that nature is a self-sustaining agency apart from the Deity, having its own inherent power with which to work.

This is exactly the opposite of the thought in MH 416 which I have cited many times. The forces of nature are NOT self acting, and necessitate God's sustaining and protecting hand. This is exactly what I've been asserting. If God removes His protecting or sustaining hand, then ruin must result.

In this men do not know what they are talking about.

Agreed.

Do they suppose that nature has a self-existing power without the continual agency of Jehovah? The Lord does not work through His laws to supersede the laws of nature. He does His work through the laws and properties of His instruments, and nature obeys a "Thus saith the Lord." {6T 186.1}

It is correct to assert that God controls the forces of nature. It is because of God's protection that we are not destroyed.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7101
10/17/05 02:03 PM
10/17/05 02:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your favorite quotes provide awesome insights regarding some of the ways God uses the forces of nature to punish and destroy unsaved sinners. But it is a mistake to assume they explain all of the ways God employs them.

When Sister White plainly describes several different ways God has punished and destroyed unsaved sinners it would be wrong, to my way of thinking, to insist she meant one way. She says what she means, and means what she says. We do not have to change the meaning of one quote to agree with the meaning of another.

The questions you keep repeating have been addressed on other threads. Yes, Jesus is a revelation of the character of God - in both the OT and NT, not just the NT. It was Jesus in the OT who killed people in various ways. You disagree.

Yes, God does not employ force to harvest obedience from His created children. But He does, and will, use the forces of nature to punish and destroy unsaved sinners in the lake of fire. You disagree.

Yes, Jesus used the Flood to punish and kill the antediluvians. Nowhere in the Bible or in the SOP is it taught that God merely withdrew His hand and allowed the forces of nature to run its natural course. You have yet to post one single quote that agrees with the legitimate insights you have gleaned from other passages.

If your idea is correct, then please prove it from the Bible or the SOP. If Jesus merely withdrew His hand and the Flood naturally occurred, then please post a quote that says so (not unrelated quotes that you believe must be applied to the Flood). Let the Bible or the SOP speak for themselves. Please, Tom, just one quote that directly says so. Thank you.

Re: The Arsenals of God's Wrath - An Inspired Account #7102
10/17/05 05:02 PM
10/17/05 05:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
By the way, Tom, it occurred to me to ask you about something. If nature is ready to destroy us, why, then, does it say in the SOP that nature obeys God? Since it is clear that nature naturally obeys the will of God, how is it that nature naturally wants to destroy us? Can nature do anything against the will of God?

If God must restrain the forces of nature from naturally and automatically killing us, why, then, does it say in the SOP that God sometimes allows evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature to destroy unsaved sinners?

Which is it? Does God withdraw His protecting hand and allow nature to run its natural course of destruction? Or, does He allow evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature to spread desolation everywhere?

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!