HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,495 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7218
03/03/06 05:31 PM
03/03/06 05:31 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
I did miss one question that comes out of the above posts,

9) Are EGW writings to be used as a theological "club" within the church?

It was put forth some years ago, and I won't give credit where credit is undue, that Ellen White's writings were NOT to be used doctrinally (a theological policewoman). Is this statement true?

"God has, in that Word (the Bible), promised to give visions in the last days, NOT FOR A NEW RULE OF FAITH, but for the comfort of His people, AND TO CORRECT THOSE WHO ERR FROM BIBLE TRUTH." (Early Writings, page 78)

"The Lord has given me much light that I want the people to have; for there is instruction that the Lord has given me for His people. It is light that they should have, line upon line and precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. This is now to come before the people, because IT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO CORRECT SPECIOUS ERRORS, AND TO SPECIFY WHAT IS TRUTH." (Selected Messages, Vol. 3, page 32)

"Serious errors in doctrine and practice were cherished...God revealed these errors to me in vision and sent me to His erring children to declare them." (Testimonies, Vol. 5, pages 655-656)
"(A)ll who believe that the Lord has spoken through Sister White, and has given her a message, will be safe from the many delusions that will come in these last days." (Selected Messages, Vol. 3, page 83)

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7219
03/03/06 06:02 PM
03/03/06 06:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Salvation is by faith alone in Jesus Christ.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7220
03/03/06 06:17 PM
03/03/06 06:17 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
That is an unBiblical proposition.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and NOT by faith ALONE." (James 2:24)

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7221
03/03/06 07:16 PM
03/03/06 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think it is.

quote:
There is not a point that needs to be dwelt upon more earnestly, repeated more frequently, or established more firmly in the minds of all than the impossibility of fallen man meriting anything by his own best good works. Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ alone.. (FW 18)
I think Ellen White is correct.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7222
03/03/06 07:22 PM
03/03/06 07:22 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
Heading this off before it becomes misconstrued, there is NO PLACE in the Bible where it says we are saved by faith alone or faith only. That is a myth. However, it is also true that we are NOT saved by faith AND works (that is, a little faith and a little works). The Bible is consistently clear that we are saved by a faith THAT works.

Martin Luther is said to have formulated the doctrine that we are saved by faith alone, this was said as a contradiction to the Catholic stance of salvation by faith AND works. Their works, however, consisted of viewing relics, partaking of the sacraments, etc. Martin Luthers point was that these externals are not necessary for salvation. James statement does not contradict this. His premise is that I will show you my faith BY my works (faith THAT works).

Neither do I believe that Martin Luther meant for his statement that "sola fe" (faith alone) was to be taken as most Christians do today, as his writings are clear that he saw an obedience that was necessary towards salvation.

This idea, however, has evolved into a unBiblical stance toward salvation. Faith and belief are the same word in the Greek, yet we are told the devils "believe" (that is, they have faith) in God. Are they saved? No, because their "faith" in Him does not lead them toward obedience but toward disobedience.

"Let us not forget that in his conversion and sanctification man must cooperate with God. 'Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,' the Word declares. 'For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.' (Phil. 2:12, 13). Man cannot transform himself by the exercise of his will. He possesses no power by which this change may be affected. The renewing energy must come from God. The change can be made only by the Holy Spirit. He who would be saved, high or low, rich or poor, must submit to the working of this power." {Heavenly Places, page 20.4} (This is only what I have near me, if you want I can quote quite literally hundreds of such statements).

We are NOT saved by Faith alone, grace alone, nor works alone but by a comingling of the three. By faith we experience the grace (power of God - 2 Corinthians 12:9) of God, which works out righteousness in our lives. Without this holiness, no man will see God (Hebrews 12:14). We are saved by both the imputed AND imparted righteousness (justification AND sanctification) of God.

The fact that this topic has digressed into this is because those who have trouble with Ellen White, in reality, have a problem with God's word in general. While there may be things that they can agree on, there are others they fight against. I'm sure we will now pit Paul's word against James. So I end with this: that the same Paul who wrote, "knowing that a man is not justified by works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 2:16) in the SAME letter wrote, "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which WORKETH by love." (ibid, 5:6)

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7223
03/03/06 07:25 PM
03/03/06 07:25 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
Tom,

Look at your own quote! The focus of the quote is on Christ ALONE, not faith alone!

It says we are saved by faith in Christ alone, not we saved by faith alone in Christ.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7224
03/03/06 07:32 PM
03/03/06 07:32 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Wennell:
Darius, I see you are nothing but New Theology according to your posts here and elsewhere. PhD means you have wordly wisdom, but I see you have no Spiritual wisdom.

Is that why you choose to get nasty when you can't answer the challenge? How sweet and Christlike of you.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7225
03/03/06 07:35 PM
03/03/06 07:35 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
"The opposite and NO LESS DANGEROUS ERROR is that belief in Christ releases men fromm keeping the law of God; that since by faith alone we become partakers of the grace of Christ, our works have nothing to do with our redemption." (Steps to Christ, page 60)

Notice she says this view of believeing in faith alone (without the fruit of works) is a dangerous error.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7226
03/03/06 07:38 PM
03/03/06 07:38 PM
B
Bill Wennell  Offline
Posting New Member
Augusta, KY
Darius,

There has been no challenge, I asked for a contradiction, you provided none. However, what I said still stands - you are full of yourself but not Bible, as anyone who reads your posts can see. This is my last message to you personally as you have nothing to say that I care to hear.

Re: Are the writtings of EGWhite equal to the BIBLE ? #7227
03/03/06 07:55 PM
03/03/06 07:55 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
My point of view at present is something like this. I have no problem with Ellen as an inspired author. If I dont remember very wrong, she wrote somewhere that it was the "conflict of ages" series and the testimonies series that ought to be read.
At the same time, I am very cautious towards anyone who has strong opinions about her writings, no matter wether they are against or for. If for no other reason than that making her a major leaves other points to minors that ought to be majors.

As for the salvation subtopic, I recently read in a commentary on Romans 2:5-11
quote:

"Some Christians, however, are immediately up in arms. Has the apostle taken leave of his senses? Does he begin by declaring that salvation is by faith alone (e.g. 1:16f.), and then destroy his own gospel by saying that it is by good works after all? No, Paul is not contradicting himself. What he is affirming is that, although justification is indeed by faith, judgement will be according to works. The reason for this is not hard to find. It is that the day of judgement will be a public occasion. Its purpose will be less to determine God's judgement than to announce it and to vindicate it. The divine judgement, which is a process of sifting and separating, is going on secretly all the time, as people range themselves for or against Christ, but on the last day its results will be made public. The day of God's wrath will also be the time when his righteous judgment will be revealed (5b)."

Italics in original. Bold mine.

/Thomas

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!