HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: NIV vs KJV #74195
05/16/06 06:11 AM
05/16/06 06:11 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I am not aware of SDA's judging non-sabbatarians. In fact the SDA church I attend no one badmouths Sunday keeping Christians. Its actually the other way around from my own experience as I was told once "Are you stuck on your denomination" after I refused to go to a charismatic church where they believe that speaking in tongues is a subsequent gift of salvation, good people, and in fact it was my best friend who made the comment, but I digress. Even when presented with the truth of the Sabbath, they resort to Colossians and say it was nailed to the cross vs 2:14.
Now there are texts which I have read about that either bring down or make Jesus Christ to be very ambiguous . What I mean is that He is not referred to by name, but instead of the One, some interesting comparisons between NIV, NKJV, and other modern translations, even one of my favorites the NASB was dragged through the mud, but thats Ok. I think its good to have a variety of translations for study.
YOu may want to take a look here for a decent overview and comparison of different Bible versions.
God Bless,
Will

Last edited by Will; 05/16/06 06:15 AM.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74196
05/16/06 06:58 PM
05/16/06 06:58 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
There are many problems are with translations and we can only touch on a few of these. One problem is that very often times can be translated in different ways (as pointed out above) or have different shades of meaning. For example, today how would you translate the word "mouse" or "Burry the hatchet". Does the mouse mean the animal or what I'm clicking on with the computer. Do you translate "Burry the hatchet" word for word, or do you look for a phrase the reader would understand that has the same consept?

There is the issue that in all the different originals there are no speaces nor capatalizations and in the earlier ones no vowls, or dubbed letters where we would double. When you see pl does it mean: apple, pal, plea. Usually they can figure out by the context bout sometimes there are places where they are unsure.

There are a number of words that appear in the Bible that the translaters don't know what the word means and thus they have to guess and there are portions where the translater does not know how to translate as they are not sure what the text is saying, or as in the case of the word "inn" in Luke 2:7 they have a litteral meaning of the word (guest chamber) but what not sure what it meant so they guessed that it was another word for inn. (Today it is known that the Kataluma, or guest chanber, was a room in a family home for family members visiting from out of town.) Also, there is not one original text, but the originals come from three different textual families, and while they are nearly word for world in the books Isaiah through Malichi (in our order of texts) there are still minor differences in these books, and some major variations in the books outside of these. It turns out that Jesus quoted the Old Testament a lot more than we thought he did because our versions and translations are from a different textual family.

Then there are problems that will make us modern Christian readers mad, different texts that would be very sexual in translation, that the translators tone down, or ideas that actually had a point in it's context, but since we have forgotten how to read the Bible in context the individual key text would send us into a fizzy fit, or be foundation for several cults to build their wird ideas on, so translators try to maintain a ballance between what the text actually says and what you and I want the text to say so that we don't get all bent out of shape.

One of the advantages of the NIV over the the KJV are writing to the modern speach usage, and that the NIV translators lived at a time where more copies of ancient texts have been found so they had a better understanding of the syntatics of more words and had better understandings of shades of meanings and thus they have less guessing than the KJV translators had to do.

One of the advangeges of the KJV over the NIV is that it was translated prior to the late 1800s, therefore before the modern evanglical movement, fundamentalism, and dispensationalism had not yet developed and thus these did not color the translators perpectives. (of course the translators of the KJV had their own prejudices that we have to suffer with.)

Re: NIV vs KJV #74197
05/17/06 11:28 AM
05/17/06 11:28 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
To find SDA's who judge non-sabbatarians, go to any internet forum you may choose where SDA's and non-sabbatarians interact and just follow the flow of discussion. Within at most a couple of days youll have your judging. But its good to know that this is not as widespread as the internet community makes it look.

The author of the page you posted would greately improve his cause if he practiced some humbleness. Trashing what he doesnt like will mostly draw the approval of those who already think alike. Some of the points made in the FAQ where interesting and maybe would make a very good case for those who stay there reading long enough to find it.

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74198
05/17/06 01:03 PM
05/17/06 01:03 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
You are definitely right Thomas about both situations you pointed out. Online communitues are onlay a small fraction of what represents the real world, its good for interactivity, but sterile in the sense that you cannot pickup on peoples tones, and see them face to face. Its not as widespread at all.

I should have mentioned something about the author's "sensationalistic" writing style. I originally went their to read up on the reformed Jesuit priest Alberto Rivera (not sure about the last name spelled correctly), and read up on his life and experiences.
I hope you were able to sift through some of the topics and read on the translations abit. Interesting stuff thats for sure.
God Bless,
Will

Re: NIV vs KJV #74199
05/22/06 09:53 PM
05/22/06 09:53 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
A KJV 1611 sample. Some of these words elude me..

Quote:

Joh 3:16 For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life.

Quote:

Col 2:12 Buried with him in Baptisme, wherein also you are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you being dead in your sinnes, and the vncircumcision of your flesh, hath hee quickened together with him, hauing forgiuen you all trespasses,
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances, that was against vs, which was contrary to vs, and tooke it out of the way, nayling it to his Crosse:
Col 2:15 And hauing spoyled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing ouer them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore iudge you in meat, or in drinke, or in respect of an Holy day, or of the New moone, or of the Sabbath dayes:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ.

Quote:

Luk 2:6 And so it was, that while they were there, the dayes were accomplished that she should be deliuered.
Luk 2:7 And she brought foorth her first borne sonne, and wrapped him in swadling clothes, and laid him in a manger, because there was no roome for them in the Inne.
Luk 2:8 And there were in the same countrey shepheards abiding in ye field, keeping watch ouer their flocke by night.
Luk 2:9 And loe, the Angel of the Lord came vpon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid.

Quote:

Psa 13:1 [To the chiefe Musician. A Psalme of Dauid.] How long wilt thou forget mee (O Lord) for euer? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
Psa 13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soule, hauing sorrow in my heart dayly? how long shall mine enemie be exalted ouer me?
Psa 13:3 Consider and heare me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleepe of death.
Psa 13:4 Least mine enimie say, I haue preuailed against him: and those that trouble mee, reioyce, when I am moued.
Psa 13:5 But I haue trusted in thy mercy, my heart shall reioyce in thy saluation.
Psa 13:6 I will sing vnto the Lord, because hee hath dealt bountifully with mee.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: NIV vs KJV #74200
05/22/06 10:03 PM
05/22/06 10:03 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
KVJ, 1611
Quote:

Psa 13:1 [To the chiefe Musician. A Psalme of Dauid.] How long wilt thou forget mee (O Lord) for euer? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
Psa 13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soule, hauing sorrow in my heart dayly? how long shall mine enemie be exalted ouer me?
Psa 13:3 Consider and heare me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleepe of death.
Psa 13:4 Least mine enimie say, I haue preuailed against him: and those that trouble mee, reioyce, when I am moued.
Psa 13:5 But I haue trusted in thy mercy, my heart shall reioyce in thy saluation.
Psa 13:6 I will sing vnto the Lord, because hee hath dealt bountifully with mee.

Geneva bible, 1560/75
Quote:

Psa 13:1 To him that excelleth. A Psalme of Dauid. Howe long wilt thou forget me, O Lord, for euer? howe long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
Psa 13:2 How long shall I take counsell within my selfe, hauing wearinesse dayly in mine heart? how long shall mine enemie be exalted aboue me?
Psa 13:3 Beholde, and heare mee, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, that I sleepe not in death:
Psa 13:4 Lest mine enemie say, I haue preuailed against him: and they that afflict me, reioyce when I slide.
Psa 13:5 But I trust in thy mercie: mine heart shall reioyce in thy saluation:
Psa 13:6 I will sing to the Lord, because he hath delt louingly with me.

Bishops bible, 1568
Quote:

Psa 13:1 [To the chiefe musition, a Psalme of Dauid.] Howe long wylt thou forget me O God, for euer? howe long wilt thou hyde thy face from me?
Psa 13:2 Howe long shall I seke counsayle in my soule, and be so vexed in mine heart euery day? howe long shall myne enemie triumph ouer me?
Psa 13:3 Loke downe and heare me O God my Lorde: lighten myne eyes, lest that I sleepe in death.
Psa 13:4 Lest myne enemie say, I haue preuayled agaynst hym: lest they that trouble me reioyce yf I shoulde be remoued.
Psa 13:5 But I repose my trust in thy mercie, and my heart is ioyfull in thy saluation:
Psa 13:6 (13:5) I wyll syng to God, because he hath rewarded me.

Well, Ill make the conclution from this that not even in those yonder days where there complete unity on how to translate scripture..

/Thomas

Galatians 2

Re: NIV vs KJV #74201
05/23/06 01:41 AM
05/23/06 01:41 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
U's,V's,E's.. A whole extra 3 seconds to decipher it is all it took me to figure out, not hard to do when you can speak english.
God Bless,
Will

Re: NIV vs KJV #74202
05/23/06 01:44 AM
05/23/06 01:44 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
KJV

Quote:

Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

NIV
Quote:

Luke 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone.

A world of difference.
God Bless,
Will

Last edited by Will; 05/23/06 01:45 AM.
Re: NIV vs KJV #74203
05/23/06 06:28 AM
05/23/06 06:28 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
hauing spoyled principalities and powers ?
swadling clothes ?
they were sore afraid ?
when I am moued ?
be so vexed ?

Galatians 2

Re: NIV vs KJV #74204
05/23/06 11:20 PM
05/23/06 11:20 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looks like old English spelling to me that's quite different from today's spelling.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!