HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Modern Christ #74292
05/29/06 05:15 AM
05/29/06 05:15 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thanks for adding that point, Tom.

Re: Modern Christ #74293
05/29/06 05:46 AM
05/29/06 05:46 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Before I became the Lord’s, while I was still ‘mine own’, I was 23. A third generation Adventist, baptized, well indoctrinated and fully engaged. I longed for, well, a number of things. I wanted a wife, but I did not want to get one myself; I wanted the Lord to give me one. The other was: I wished I could settle the question about salvation, so I would not be afraid; but tied in with that fear was the fact that I did not have any victory over sin, neither did anybody else that I knew. Gritting my teeth and clenching my fists did not do it. Believing that Christ died to pay the penalty did not help. Getting busy in all church activities (leading out in many) did not help either.

So I had been praying for several years for a wife, and waiting for the Lord to answer. It was not that there were no girls, or that there were no girls that I liked. There were, and this added to the torment of waiting on the Lord. I contemplated of whether I should just go it on my own. Everybody else seemed to do so. But I had made a promise when I was young (6 years old), that I would ask the Lord. And I felt that to break that promise was to break all.

So why was not God answering? Surely he knows, so what is the problem? Silence, and more silence. I had been a TV technician so got to watch enough TV. We watched one at home that I had made in my study course. Let’s just say that what they showed back in the seventies on TV was not half as bad as what is on it today. We watched what you would call the better stuff; you know, selectively; took some 2-3 hours a day to see it, sometimes 3-4, maybe more; but never on Friday nights or Sabbath. You know how it is. Then after we are well ‘fed’ by it, I would go to my room, ready to fall into bed, but before going to bed I must and do pray for a wife, and not forget all my failures. In the morning also I must and do pray for guidance and strength for the day, and for blessings. Well those prayers were more wishful thinking than anything else, but it was also the cry of my soul. Thus one day followed another till it had been some 6 years of this.

One day I thought about this situation, and I decided I had to get through to God somehow. This business about praying and silence just isn’t going anywhere. So after my conventional diet of TV, I went to my room, and now I was going to be serious about gaining audience with the Lord. So in my most pious way I proceeded to pray on my knees. I didn’t get very far, when I started thinking about something on TV. I followed that movie for a while until I realized what I was doing. I shook myself and reset myself to pray seriously now. I began anew with determination, but was quite disturbed after discovering myself to have gone again thinking some other movie of some years ago. This was disturbing. I began anew with great determination and effort of concentration. I was chagrined when I found myself again meditating on another TV program. It was then I heard the Lord speak to me for the first time, and he said: “Choose John; what do you want”!

I was shocked, stunned and thrilled, I knew what it meant. It was TV or God. That was the last time I watched TV. It was the most blessed experience. I now had 2-3 or 3-4 or more hours a day free to spend in audience with the Lord. Almost overnight, my life of failure became a life of victory. God was talking with me, through his word, he would put his finger on this or that in my life, and there was power and victory. The mess in my mind was unraveling.

Now when I went to pray or sit or work I felt I had the audience of the Lord at all times, but the free times were the most precious. That free time which belonged to TV before, now was the special meeting time with the Lord.

I still had problems with my mind wandering during the following six months, and I frequently went to pray. I had an open bible in front of me while I worked, and dwelt on it, when I would find my mind wander I would read something until my mind would be re-established. Sometimes I just had to stop and pray. It was the battle of and for my mind. It was the battle of and for my heart. In the evening I often needed something to help keep my mind while relaxing. I remember two records, Jimmy Rhodes on piano and Barron Brothers. These songs became mine, the songs of my heart, the prayer of mine heart, something to rest my mind.

What you put in, is what you get out. What you sow, you shall reap. I never knew the impact TV had. It was just entertainment; I knew it was all made up; but it was interesting. Of course, I would not take anything on it for serious, much less live like it. Sort of, you’d say time to relax, time off; nothing bad (nothing bad that I would do, oh yes they on TV would do bad things, but not me, no, no, I was just watching). Yet the enemy was weaving the web of dullness, inculcating worldly principles and spirit, and disabling all spiritual inclination. Same thing with the continuous rambling of music; it is amazing how people cannot stand quiet; quiet is very disquieting to the carnal mind.

Within about a year, by the sustaining presence of the Lord I regained control of my mind, so that it would not wander, but stay on him. I began to appreciate quietness when I could commune with God undisturbed.

Well I have rambled on, but I will stop here. I just thought to share my experience with TV and radio and what the Lord had done. However it was rather the experience with the Lord in the aftermath of TV.

I look back at that time when the Lord entered and TV left as the time of liberation; the time when I began to live. There was no room for both. But I say it is the audience with the Lord that you'd want, and the rest you'll find out.

Oh yes, he did choose me a wife, and so much more than had ever entered my thought before.

Re: Modern Christ #74294
05/31/06 02:36 AM
05/31/06 02:36 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Thanks John, what you share really could strengthen my faith that doing business Christ way can be done even though might be difficult in this time of corrupt. And your spiritual experiences with God admire me. I have such experiences long time ago when I still sailed in merchant vessels round the world, i.e. expelled demon spirit from my sailor, stops cyclones crossing our way otherwise our vessel might capsize. These spiritual experiences happened when I fully surrendered my life to God in faith (I was just baptized in 1982 and lived in Christ for a couple of years). I really believe when we live in Christ through faith, whatever we asked he would answer it if what we asked is not for self exaltation and we can handle it Christ’ way.

The problem now with me, I have wandered too long in the flesh, I lost those sights and faith once is with me, but on the other hand I knew much more about God and the truth of the Gospel. So, presently I am trying to live a surrendered life even it fails from time to time. But at least I had left behind almost all of my past habit (smoking 3 packs cigarette a day, gambling, night life) and start to go to church again.

I think, a modern Christ would not compromise with parties, night life, funky life, beverages, bribery, unpaid tax, unfair competition, etc, etc.

In His love

James S

Re: Modern Christ #74295
06/04/06 05:51 AM
06/04/06 05:51 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Many Christ believers were lost at the end, not particularly because of their unbelief but mostly because they could not stop living for the flesh.

Is this true?

Gods of the end of time (and I believe we are living at the end of time) has taken people attention more than the cross of Christ. (Lust for) Money, (Lust for) Power, (Lust for) Fame and (Lust for) the Flesh are the gods of the world, who works against the God of heaven.

Surely it must be of something very special that might attract their attention to stop living for the flesh and start living for God.

What would that be?

The Gospel? The Law? The Cross? Hell?

Living for the flesh is greater than the love for self, because to satisfy what the flesh desires, many people died knowingly or unknowingly; better die than stop feeding what the flesh need.

It is really amazing to watch people died or following the way of death meanwhile claiming they are Christ’ believers. What makes these “modern Christ” choose the flesh rather than the Spirit? And what would be our part to affect their choices?

In His love

James S

Re: Modern Christ #74296
06/04/06 06:38 AM
06/04/06 06:38 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
James,

I believe the answere to your question is and has always been the gospel of the cross. The good news that God became man and came to earth to bring its inhabitants back to himself, even trough the unthinkable torture a roman cross inflickts.

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Modern Christ #74297
06/04/06 07:00 AM
06/04/06 07:00 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Yes, I think so, but from where does we start?

And I still try to find out why satisfying the lust of the flesh is such a greater desire than the desire to stay alive for self loving people. If they love their self more than others why killing them selves just for the sake of their lust?

In His love

James S

Re: Modern Christ #74298
07/28/06 01:54 AM
07/28/06 01:54 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Where is my God? Do I have a living God or a deaf one on vacation?

When I come to this situation, it's really enticing to freshen the mind with 4-5 bottles of cold beer, got a little drunk, live chatting and dancing with pretty girls in a closeby bar/cafe here.

Is this okkay for a modern Christ? Just when this situation arise?

In His love

James S

Re: Modern Christ #74299
08/03/06 01:09 PM
08/03/06 01:09 PM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
No one support the idea then I guess the answer is no.

In His love

James S

Re: Modern Christ #74300
08/03/06 03:22 PM
08/03/06 03:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, the lusts of the flesh only appeal to people who are not fully converted.

TM 440, 441
Has your character been transformed? Has darkness been exchanged for light, the love of sin for the love of purity and holiness? Have you been converted, who are engaged in teaching the truth to others? Has there been in you a thorough, radical change? Have you woven Christ into your character? You need not be in uncertainty in this matter. Has the Sun of Righteousness risen and been shining in your soul? If so, you know it; and if you do not know whether you are converted or not, never preach another discourse from the pulpit until you do. How can you lead souls to the fountain of life of which you have not drunk yourself? Are you a sham, or are you really a son of God? Are you serving God, or are you serving idols? Are you transformed by the Spirit of God, or are you yet dead in your trespasses and sins? To be sons of God means more than many dream of, because they have not been converted. Men are weighed in the balance and found wanting when they are living in the practice of any known sin. It is the privilege of every son of God to be a true Christian moment by moment; then he has all heaven enlisted on his side. He has Christ abiding in his heart by faith. {TM 440.2}

A soul united with Christ, eating His flesh and drinking His blood, in accepting and living by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God will war against all transgression and every approach of sin. He becomes every day more like a bright and shining light, and more victorious. He goes on from strength to strength, not from weakness to weakness. {TM 441.1}

Let no one deceive his own soul in this matter. If you harbor pride, self-esteem, a love for the supremacy, vainglory, unholy ambition, murmuring, discontent, bitterness, evil speaking, lying, deception, slandering, you have not Christ abiding in your heart, and the evidence shows that you have the mind and character of Satan, not of Jesus Christ, who was meek and lowly of heart. You must have a Christian character that will stand. You may have good intentions, good impulses, can speak the truth understandingly, but you are not fit for the kingdom of heaven. Your character has in it base material, which destroys the value of the gold. You have not reached the standard. The impress of the divine is not upon you. The furnace fires would consume you, because you are worthless, counterfeit gold. {TM 441.2}

There must be thorough conversions among those who claim to believe the truth, or they will fall in the day of trial. God's people must reach a high standard. They must be a holy nation, a peculiar people, a chosen generation--zealous of good works. {TM 441.3}

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!