HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74594
05/27/06 08:23 PM
05/27/06 08:23 PM
Will  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
When did Ellen White say that the 1884 edition should be in every home? Was it in 1884, or at a later date? If it was a later date, then why did she make revisions to the GC 1911 version which she approved of when she suggested everyone have the 1884 edition in their home? I have 84,88 & 1911, and have noticed differences, but this is rather curious sounding isnt it? I think it is.
God Bless,
Will

======

As this could be an interesting topic in itself, I have made a new topic out of Will's post. - Daryl

Last edited by Daryl Fawcett; 05/27/06 09:08 PM.
Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74595
05/27/06 11:26 PM
05/27/06 11:26 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello Will,

Have you noticed that four entire pages of the 1884 Great Controversy are not found in later editions (1888 & 1911). These pages introduce the chapter 'The Snares of Satan' with the following words: "As the people of God approach the perils of the last days.." Here are pages 337-340 of 'Spirit of Prophecy Vol. 4' published 1884:

"As the people of God approach the perils of the last days, Satan holds earnest consultation with his angels as to the most successful plan of overthrowing their faith. He sees that the popular churches are already lulled to sleep by his deceptive power. By pleasing sophistry and lying wonders he can continue to hold them under his control. Therefore he directs his angels to lay their snares especially for those who are looking for the second advent of Christ, and endeavoring to keep all the commandments of God.

Says the great deceiver: "We must watch those who are calling the attention of the people to the Sabbath of Jehovah; they will lead many to see the claims of the law of God; and the same light which reveals the true Sabbath, reveals also the ministration of Christ in the heavenly sanctuary, and shows that the last work for man's salvation is now going forward. Hold the minds of the people in darkness till that work is ended, and we shall secure the world and the church also.

"The Sabbath is the great question which is to decide the destiny of souls. We must exalt the Sabbath of our creating. We have caused it to be accepted by both worldlings and church-members; now the church must be led to unite with the world in its support. We must work by signs and wonders to blind their eyes to the truth, and lead them to lay aside reason and the fear of God, and follow custom and tradition.

"I will influence popular ministers to turn the attention of their hearers from the commandments of God. That which the Scriptures declare to be a perfect law of liberty shall be represented as a yoke of bondage. The people accept their ministers' explanations of Scripture, and do not investigate for themselves. Therefore by working through the ministers, I can control the people according to my will.

"But our principal concern is to silence this sect of Sabbath-keepers. We must excite popular indignation against them. We will enlist great men and worldly-wise men upon our side, and induce those in authority to carry out our purposes. Then the Sabbath which I have set up shall be enforced by laws the most severe and exacting. Those who disregard them shall be driven out from the cities and villages, and made to suffer hunger and privation. When once we have the power, we will show that we can do with those who will not swerve from their allegiance to God. We led the Romish Church to inflict imprisonment, torture, and death upon those who refused to yield to her decrees, and now that we are bringing the Protestant churches and the world into harmony with this right arm of our strength, we will finally have a law to exterminate all who will not submit to our authority. When death shall be made the penalty of violating our Sabbath, then many who are now ranked with commandment-keepers will come over to our side.

"But before proceeding to these extreme measures, we must exert all our wisdom and subtlety to deceive and ensnare those who honor the true Sabbath. We can separate many from Christ by worldliness, lust, and pride. They may think themselves safe because they believe the truth, but indulgence of appetite or the lower passions, which will confuse judgment and destroy discrimination, will cause their fall.

"Go, make the possessors of lands and money drunk with the cares of this life. Present the world before them in its most attractive light, that they may lay up their treasure here, and fix their affections upon earthly things. We must do our utmost to prevent those who labor in God's cause from obtaining means to use against us. Keep the money in our own ranks. The more means they obtain, the more they will injure our kingdom by taking from us our subjects. Make them care more for money than for the upbuilding of Christ's kingdom and the spread of the truths we hate, and we need not fear their influence; for we know that every selfish, covetous person will fall under our power, and will finally be separated from God's people.

"Through those that have a form of godliness but know not the power, we can gain many who would otherwise do us great harm. Lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God will be our most effective helpers. Those of this class who are apt and intelligent will serve as decoys to draw others into our snares. Many will not fear their influence, because they profess the same faith. We will thus lead them to conclude that the requirements of Christ are less strict than they once believed, and that by conformity to the world they would exert a greater influence with worldlings. Thus they will separate from Christ; then they will have no strength to resist our power, and erelong they will be ready to ridicule their former zeal and devotion.

"Until the great decisive blow shall be struck, our efforts against commandment-keepers must be untiring. We must be present at all their gatherings. In their large meetings especially our cause will suffer much, and we must exercise great vigilance, and employ all our seductive arts to prevent souls from hearing the truth and becoming impressed by it.

"I will have upon the ground, as my agents, men holding false doctrines mingled with just enough truth to deceive souls. I will also have unbelieving ones present, who will express doubts in regard to the Lord's messages of warning to his church. Should the people read and believe these admonitions, we could have little hope of overcoming them. But if we can divert their attention from these warnings, they will remain ignorant of our power and cunning, and we shall secure them in our ranks at last. God will not permit his words to be slighted with impunity. If we can keep souls deceived for a time, God's mercy will be withdrawn, and he will give them up to our full control.

"We must cause distraction and division. We must destroy their anxiety for their own souls, and lead them to criticise, to judge, and to accuse and condemn one another, and to cherish selfishness and enmity. For these sins, God banished us from his presence; and all who follow our example will meet a similar fate."

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74596
05/28/06 03:12 AM
05/28/06 03:12 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Interesting subject yes.
I have an 1858 GC, 1884, 1888, 1907 and a 1911 GC.
There is much in the 1884 that is not in the later books.
If one where to read the 1 SM pages 204-205(originally from the Series B, which I also have a copy of) and one will find that there where going to be book changes.
Question, where was Sister White in 1888. There is also an 1888 Australia GC, which is the exact, same as the 1884 GC. In America the 1888 and those after, there where some great changes made.
Did Sister White really say that the 1884 should be in every SDA home? Yes she did, I will have to dig that quote up for you, but I will. Did Sister White approve of the new GC’s I would have to say no? For she said many times that she would not change what she had written. Also, I have a letter from the White estates (anyone can get it from them) It states that she approved of some word changes and a few grammar changes from what was given to her by Willie C White.(by the way he was the one that prompted the rewriting of the Testimonies to the Church. They came in 31 volumes not 9) these are a few words and some grammar changes not entire paragraphs and pages removed.
For those of you that have the 1884 compare page 405 with the 1911,1905,1907 page 588, the 1888 page 624. Begin in the 1884 first full paragraph and read the next three then compare.
1884 page 278 beginning with “the formation of this image” Compare 1911 page 445.
So many things where changed.
I fell in love with the 1884 and the 1858 GC, there is so much power.

Peace and Grace
David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74597
05/28/06 06:22 AM
05/28/06 06:22 AM
Will  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
This is really baffling David. I mean after reading Bacchiocis documentation where it states that Ellen White specifically wanted a revision of the GC which was a result of the 1911 version. Her saying her writings are not to bechanged ans then saying that they are to be changed makes me wonder at what specifically she wanted changed, and asking her workers or people who had access to pre-published material to submit any corrections to innacurracies which is responsible of anyone writing a book especially of this magnitude.
My personal research (if you can even call it that) resulted in learning alot about the Sabbath keeping Christians of the British Isles, not exactly the motherlode of a find, but you know what I am saying. This is based on chapter 10 found in GC 1911 version which made me curious to learn more.
Is there any harm or danger in saying that Ellen White was not a historian, and that our Bible is to be our standard of faith? I believe no its not, aside from it being obvious (about the Bible being our standard of Faith) I dont see it as a bad thing. I mean not many people can say that they are a messenger of the Lord, and what she had seen and the work she has done reveals God's hand in it, and this goes for the pioneers as well whom I personally admire in their knowledge of Scripture.
What do you think?
God Bless,
Will

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74598
05/28/06 01:51 PM
05/28/06 01:51 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

This is really baffling David. I mean after reading Bacchiocis documentation where it states that Ellen White specifically wanted a revision of the GC which was a result of the 1911 version. Her saying her writings are not to bechanged ans then saying that they are to be changed makes me wonder at what specifically she wanted changed, and asking her workers or people who had access to pre-published material to submit any corrections to innacurracies which is responsible of anyone writing a book especially of this magnitude.
My personal research (if you can even call it that) resulted in learning alot about the Sabbath keeping Christians of the British Isles, not exactly the motherlode of a find, but you know what I am saying. This is based on chapter 10 found in GC 1911 version which made me curious to learn more.
Is there any harm or danger in saying that Ellen White was not a historian, and that our Bible is to be our standard of faith? I believe no its not, aside from it being obvious (about the Bible being our standard of Faith) I dont see it as a bad thing. I mean not many people can say that they are a messenger of the Lord, and what she had seen and the work she has done reveals God's hand in it, and this goes for the pioneers as well whom I personally admire in their knowledge of Scripture.
What do you think?
God Bless,
Will

Bacchiocis? How many years did he spend inside the Vatican doing His research for his book and such? Too many years I would say. I would not base the changes on what men have said or what they say. Sister White made it plain.

I am not saying that there is not truth in the other GC’s and the compiled books. Just how can one tell which is which?

If we believe what she wrote and then read what is claimed that she wrote which do we believe?

I have no doubt that she would have agreed to grammar changes and changing the terms like “romanish” to Catholic and such. But to remove whole pages, to turn the paragraphs around that it changes the original meaning is altogether another story. This she would have never agreed too. I believe that she was given a list of word changes. However I could never believe that she approve of what was done to the books.

She wrote in the Series “B” that there were to be “books of a new order” and we have them today.

I do not think that she is a “historian” as someone who spent his or her lifetime in research. She was inspired without a doubt.

I wonder, what would happen if people read her SOP instead of the General Conference calls the conflict of the age’s series? For it is not the SOP not even close.

I am glad that you have come to understand the Sabbath blessing and no doubt much more. I enjoy the writings of the founders greatly but the Bible is the standard for all things.
A.T. Jones stated that the Bible is the bases for all history.

David

The greatest want of the world is the want of men-- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74599
05/28/06 04:53 PM
05/28/06 04:53 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
The book changes are a serious and grievous discovery for honest seekers of Truth. Even in her day EGW rebuked others ('friend' and foe) for misusing her published writings to support erroneous views.

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74600
05/29/06 01:58 AM
05/29/06 01:58 AM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

The book changes are a serious and grievous discovery for honest seekers of Truth. Even in her day EGW rebuked others ('friend' and foe) for misusing her published writings to support erroneous views.

Yes the changes are.
But the old books have so much power and are so wonderful to read.

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74601
05/29/06 06:08 AM
05/29/06 06:08 AM
Will  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I associated the books of a new order as not being her books, but new books that make Salvation a complacent after thought, and knock down the pillars ofour faith, and reducing Christ as the cool hip guy next door all from within.
The changes to the 1911 edition were done while she was alive.
I will compare the pages you mentioned tonight, its nice to be able to do things like this.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74602
05/29/06 05:52 PM
05/29/06 05:52 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

I associated the books of a new order as not being her books, but new books that make Salvation a complacent after thought, and knock down the pillars ofour faith, and reducing Christ as the cool hip guy next door all from within.
The changes to the 1911 edition were done while she was alive.
I will compare the pages you mentioned tonight, its nice to be able to do things like this.
God Bless,
Will

Will

Yes these changes where done during her time and she was aware of them. In fact, when the 1888 GC American addition was being published, there was the Australian addition being published. The Australian was the same as the 1884.

The testimonies where changed a few years before this as well. In the R&H of 1873( I believe it is volume 2 or 3, I have not finished unpacking yet so I do not have it on hand) there was a council of 5 that were to change grammar errors and misspelled word that they claimed were in the testimonies. Well, I have 1-30 I need 31 of the testimonies and I have found nothing wrong with them. But comparing them with the “new books” volume 1-9 there are many changes that do not involve grammar or misspelled words.

The books of a new order quote is followed in the next 2 or 3 paragraphs with a statement that “we” are to refute every error that is coming in to the church. Also she stated “we have or Bibles” The Holy Spirit did some great works with that early group.

With the changes that came into the books it has indeed changed our religion. I was very shocked and hurt when I began reading the new books, for many things that I was taught I found to be error.

Unlike many that I know after finding things out, I have not left the faith, I just went back to it.

Peace and Grace
David

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74603
05/29/06 06:32 PM
05/29/06 06:32 PM
B
bethybug  Offline
Ga
isnt there something about the plagues that has been changed in the GC?

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74604
05/29/06 10:54 PM
05/29/06 10:54 PM
the1888message  Offline
USA
Quote:

isnt there something about the plagues that has been changed in the GC?

Bethybug

Interesting question. It would seem that you have a thought on this point???

Here is mine.

Is there something about the 7 Last Plagues in the 1911 GC.

On page 628-629 of the 1911 we find this quoted “These plagues are not universal, or the inhabitants of the earth would be wholly cut off. Yet they will be the most awful scourges that have ever been known to mortals. All the judgments upon men, prior to the close of probation, have been mingled with mercy. The pleading blood of Christ has shielded the sinner from receiving the full measure of his guilt; but in the final judgment, wrath is poured out unmixed with mercy.” Also found in the 1888,1905, 1907 and the 1911

Revelation 16:1 “And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.”

1858 Great Controversy page 199 “The plagues are falling upon the inhabitants of the earth.”

The quote from the 1911 is not in the 1884 GC at all.
Is there a difference?

From the 1911 quote there seems to be a change of theology, from plagues being poured out upon the world to only parts of the world. As I was taught in school these 7 last plagues would come down like it did in Egypt in the time of Moses, one plague here and then its gone and another plague falls. I was taught that a plague that would fall in America would not fall say in Africa, and so on.

This gave me troubles when I was in school with teachers and such. Well, from the understanding that the world right now is ran by the beast and the world right now is his seat then this 1911 quote does not fit with Revelation 16:1. They fall on the earth not part of the earth but the whole planet.

People may have a problem with this because they say then it will affect the Saints! Well yes it will affect the Saints. Rivers like blood will really smell and look gross, animals dying and other such things. It will affect the Saints but not in the manner that the wicked will be affected. The Angels of the Almighty will protect the Saints so we have no worry. Also the plagues fall upon the wicked men (Revelation 16:2) not the saints.

Peace and Grace

David

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74605
05/30/06 06:57 AM
05/30/06 06:57 AM
Will  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Just as God provided food for Elijah, He will also provide food for us as well in the Time of Trouble. Its scary alright, but you know the end result is to see Christ and be with Him. The morning will come.
God Bless & Good night,
Will

Re: Other Editions of the Great Controversy? #74606
05/30/06 09:06 AM
05/30/06 09:06 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Without getting into what the true understanding of revelation 16:1 is, Ill quote the possible translations for the word that in KJV is translated earth:
Quote:

1) arable land

2) the ground, the earth as a standing place

3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water

4) the earth as a whole

a) the earth as opposed to the heavens

b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals

5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region

Changing from all the earth to part of the earth is a change in theology, though not one thats unreasonable if only the language of the original greek is considered.

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!