HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,637
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Go And Sin No More? #7460
11/22/00 11:09 PM
11/22/00 11:09 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Jesus said:

John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Paul also said:

1 Corinthians 15:34 Come to your right mind, and sin no more. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

Both Jesus the Christ and Paul the Apostle said to sin no more.

What did they mean when they said to sin no more?

Did they really mean for us to actually sin no more?

As much as possible, please back up your reply with at least one reference.

Daryl

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7461
11/22/00 11:53 PM
11/22/00 11:53 PM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline
England
John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

The part where Jesus said "sin no more LEST A WORSE THING COME UNTO THEE" makes me think of the story of the man who swept and garnished. She had already been doing wrong and was forgiven. If she were to go back into the sinful lifestyle, Satan would then see it as a "free for all" I believe. I get this idea from here:

The Desire of Ages, page 323, paragraph 2
"Then He added a warning to those who had been impressed by His words, who had heard Him gladly, but who had not surrendered themselves for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is not only by resistance but by neglect that the soul is destroyed. "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man," said Jesus, "he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there."

There were many in Christ's day, as there are today, over whom the control of Satan for the time seemed broken; through the grace of God they were set free from the evil spirits that had held dominion over
the soul. They rejoiced in the love of God; but, like the stony-ground hearers of the parable, they did not abide in His love. They did not surrender themselves to God daily, that Christ might dwell in the heart; and when the evil spirit returned, with "seven other spirits more wicked than himself," they were wholly dominated by the power of evil.

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. But unless we do yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one. We must inevitably be under the control of the one or the other of the two great powers that are contending for the supremacy of the world. It is not necessary for us deliberately to choose the service of the kingdom of darkness in order to come under its dominion. We have only to neglect to ally ourselves with the kingdom of light. If we do not co-operate with the heavenly agencies, Satan will take possession of the heart, and will make it his abiding place. The only defense against evil is the indwelling of Christ in the heart through faith in His righteousness. Unless we become vitally connected with God, we can never resist the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. We may leave off many bad habits, for the time we may part company with Satan; but without a vital connection with God, through the surrender of ourselves to Him moment by moment, we shall be overcome. Without a personal acquaintance with Christ, and a continual communion, we are at the mercy of the enemy, and shall do his bidding in the end."

And yes we are really to sin no more, because we can only serve one of two Masters. If we continue in sin, we are choosing Satan, as spoken about in the quote above. And once you do know better, its even worse for you to go back to sinning.

Claudia

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7462
02/09/01 11:43 PM
02/09/01 11:43 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This may repeat a little bit from the previous posts, however, here it is anyway.

Jesus says,

"Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee" John 5:14.
"Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more" John 8:11.

Go and sin no more. That's a pretty tall order! But God means what He says, and says and what He means. So, there's no reason for us to feel threatened by the command - "Go and sin no more." Why? Because Jesus' commands are God's promises. Our Savior does not command us to do something that He cannot enable us to perform unto the honor and glory of God. Therefore, we have every right to expect the Holy Spirit to empower us to go and sin no more.

Any thoughts on this?

Daryl

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7463
02/12/01 07:53 PM
02/12/01 07:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I think this subject is the very heart of salvation. Part of the three angels' messages is the everlasting gospel (Rev 14:6), that is, the goods news that Jesus can empower born again believers to literally go and sin no more.

A logical question to ask at this point is - WHEN can we expect power from on High to empower us from within to live without sinning?

And how complete is the promise - "Go and sin no more"? Is it fair to expect God to miraculously re-create us NOW so that we can go and live without committing any known sin ever again?

Or can we only expect the Lord to GRADUALLY restore His character in us so that after years of sinning less and less often we eventually, in our old age, come to the place where we finally experience the promises of perfection?

And another question - What is the relationship between the PROCESS of conversion and the PRODUCT of conversion?

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7464
02/13/01 12:59 AM
02/13/01 12:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Mike

I like the fact that you called "go and sin no more," a promise.

SDA legalists would call it a commandment.

I believe that this promise is very complete in that once Jesus helps us to deal with a particular sin; we are enabled, if we choose, to no longer be involved with that particular sin.

With most of us, there are usually a few more sins waiting in line for Jesus to deal with; and I suppose thats why the Bible tells us: "By grace ye are saved, through faith."

Good thing eh?

------------------
Courage is fear that has
said it's prayers.
Therefore, the Bible
says: "Be of good
courage!"

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7465
02/13/01 01:20 AM
02/13/01 01:20 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I believe part of the answer to the question as to when does God give us the power to sin no more is found in this verse: "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13. The power to resist temptation and avoid committing sin is available right now.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited February 12, 2001).]

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7466
02/13/01 02:10 AM
02/13/01 02:10 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The creative energy that called the worlds into existence is in the word of God. This word imparts power; it begets life. Every command is a promise; accepted by the will, received into the soul, it brings with it the life of the Infinite One. It transforms the nature and re-creates the soul in the image of God. {Ed 126.4}

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7467
02/13/01 09:48 PM
02/13/01 09:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
This is a fantastic study. Thanx everybody for chipping in so many good insights.

It sounds like at least some of us dare to take God at His word, and when He promises to empower us to live without sin we are willing to believe He can perform His promise.

I like what Paul said in Phil 2:13 - That it is God who works in us both to will and to do those things that are pleasing to Him. But just how complete is that promise? Is it a partial promise that depends on well informed we are?

And what about Rom chapter 6. In what sense is it true that the old man habits of sin are crucified and we no longer serve sin?

And Eph 4:24 and 1 Peter 1:23? When do we receive the sinless seed of the new man?

And that hard text in 1 John 3:9? What do we do with that inspired promise?

And as one person wrote - 1 Cor 10:13 doesn't seem to allow room to excuse sin. Does that mean we can live without sin now? Or must we first be born again and receive the seed of the new man?

And finally, when is 2 Cor 5:17 true?

I'm sorry I didn't quote all those passages in full, but I don't have a Bible program on this computer, plus I'm working with a broken arm - sort of slows me down.

Looking forward to what you have to share.

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7468
02/15/01 07:25 PM
02/15/01 07:25 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
John 8:11 in the NIV says "go and leave your life of sin". This makes me to wonder if it is more of a "follow me" command? For instance, the only way I know of to "go and sin no more" is to follow Jesus because I cannot do it on my own - and trying to do it on my own could be considered sin because I am placing my faith in someone other that God. Perhaps Jesus was admonishing them to follow the true path (Himself) without actually inviting them to physically follow Him through His ministry. Every time Jesus healed someone or had contact with someone, He admonished them to follow Him with their hearts and to work for Him. (For example see the 10 demon possessed where the demons were cast into the pigs - Jesus commanded them to go into their village and share what had been done for them - their own mission work, although they were not to follow Him physically [sorry I don't have the text on me at the moment!])

My thoughts, anyway.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7469
02/15/01 09:28 PM
02/15/01 09:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Sarah, for those encouraging words. I totally agree the only way we live without is to live without self, to live with an eye single for the glory of God and 100% submitted and surrendered to Jesus.

I asked several specific questions two posts back. Would anyone care to share?

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7470
02/16/01 05:56 PM
02/16/01 05:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Mike

2 Cor.5:17 is always true. The text itself tells us when.

"If anyone is in Christ..." "They are [now]..."

What does it mean to be "in Christ?"

Perhaps we can get to closer scrutiny of your questions by answering this question?

David T Battler

------------------
Courage is fear that has
said it's prayers.
Therefore, the Bible
says: "Be of good
courage!"

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7471
02/16/01 10:09 PM
02/16/01 10:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here ares ome questions that were posted earlier which have not been addressed yet:

quote:
I like what Paul said in Phil 2:13 - That it is God who works in us both to will and to do those things that are pleasing to Him. But just how complete is that promise? Is it a partial promise that depends on how well informed we are?

And what about Rom chapter 6. In what sense is it true that the old man habits of sin are crucified and we no longer serve sin?

And Eph 4:24 and 1 Peter 1:23? When do we receive the sinless seed of the new man?

And that hard text in 1 John 3:9? What do we do with that inspired promise?

And as one person wrote - 1 Cor 10:13 doesn't seem to allow room to excuse sin. Does that mean we can live without sin now? Or must we first be born again and receive the seed of the new man before we can go and sin no more?

And finally, when is 2 Cor 5:17 true?

So far, David suggested that the "when" in 1 Cor 5:17 is true as soon as we are in Christ. But then David asked another question:

quote:
What does it mean to be "in Christ?"

Amen! A great question. Could it be that to be in Christ is the opposite of being out of Christ? To be out of Christ is probably the same as being in or of the world. See Eph 2:12 and 1 John 2:16. So to be in Christ could very well mean to be in or of heaven. See Eph 1:3 and 2:6.

Jesus promised that the "kingdom of God is within" those who follow the Lamb wherever He goes and embracing His teachings. See Luke 17:21 and Rev 14:4. Thus, it seems fair to say that to be in Christ means to be Christlike. See Gal 2:20 and 1 Peter 4:1,2.

Which would also suggest, according to 1 Cor 5:17, that our former habits of sin are replaced by the fruit of the Spirit WHEN we are in Christ. There doesn't appear to be an evolutionary process of becoming less and less sinful once self has been crucified and we have been born again in Christ. Apparently becoming less sinful was a process that led up to the rebirth of the new man.

What do you think?

And what about the other questions and passages of Scripture?

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7472
02/17/01 01:24 AM
02/17/01 01:24 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I’ve been cleaning out my filing cabinet, and came across this, which I saved from an old Sabbath School quarterly. I think it is from August 9, 1995. I am posting it exactly as it was in the quarterly – all emphasis is the original author’s.

IMPERFECT PEOPLE CAN HAVE VICTORY OVER SIN (Rom. 14:23).

How does Ephesians 4:13 define what the New Testament writers mean by Christian perfection?

“A perfect man” (KJV) or “mature manhood” (RSV) is defined as “the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.” In other words, Christian perfection is Christlikeness. Since “God is love,” Christ perfectly exemplified love. We are told that we cannot equal Christ’s infinitely perfect character, but that we should copy it. (See Testimonies, vol. 2, p. 549.) We may reflect His love and live without committing sin. (See Rev. 3:21.)

“He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from sinning, has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” – Ellen G. White, Review and Herald, March 10, 1904.

What indications do we have that not all human imperfection is sin? John 9:41; 15:22; Rom. 14:23.

All sin is imperfection, but not all imperfection is sin. By perfection, the Bible means a life filled with the Holy Spirit and, therefore, free from acts of sin – whether in thought, feeling, word, or deed. The perfection Jesus gives us before His second advent is not freedom from our fallen humanity. (See 1 Cor. 15:51-54; Phil. 3:20, 21.) Though we remain fallen in nature, yet we can have complete victory in Christ. (See The Desire of Ages, p. 671.) Because we remain fallen human beings until Jesus comes, everything we do is tinged with human imperfection. Imperfect minds and bodies are not capable of doing anything absolutely perfect. But not everything we do is sin.

If all human imperfection were sin, Jesus could not have made the statement recorded in John 15:22. Not until the people had received light from Jesus did God regard the imperfect works they were doing as sin. God knows that our natural human imperfections are the result of spiritual, mental, and physical fallenness. By contrast, “sin is lawlessness” (I John 3:4, RSV). Christian preachers or writers would not claim that their efforts are free from human imperfection. But they are not sinning while they preach and write. But if God gives them greater light, and they refuse to present that light, then they are sinning. “Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin” (Rom. 14:23, RSV).

------------------

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7473
02/20/01 04:25 AM
02/20/01 04:25 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
quote:
Phil 2:13 - That it is God who works in us both to will and to do those things that are pleasing to Him. But just how complete is that promise? Is it a partial promise that depends on well informed we are?

Does God ever make partial promises? He makes conditional promises, "if you follow me" type promises, but never partial promises. Also, is it not true that God judges us based on the amount of truth we have? I have heard and read about tribes in the deepest jungles that have worshipped God and kept His commandments without ever having been taught by people that this is right, they just knew. Once we begin to follow God, we learn His ways as long as we are open to hearing His voice.

I'll have to get back to you on the rest.

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7474
02/19/01 09:45 PM
02/19/01 09:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen, Sarah. So, the promises of God are always complete, but our experience may not be? Does that mean then we can experience God's promises partially? But if they are complete promises then how can we experience them partially? So would it be fair to say that we either experience His promises completely or not at all?

And Cathy, do you agree with the quarterly? Is it actually possible to channel a sinless experience through a sinful vessel? The idea that since we possess a sinful nature means that we cannot produce untainted sinlessness seems somewhat contradictory to me. What about you?

Doesn't the Bible say something about born again believers partaking of the divine nature? See 2 Peter 1:4. If thus connected to Christ then how can we say our experience is tainted by fallen flesh nature?

Jesus possessed fallen flesh nature (see Rom 8:3) and yet no one would dare say that His experience was tainted with corruption. So why would we want to conclude any differently regarding converted Christians? See 1 Peter 2:21,22 and 4:1,2.

Please don't misunderstand my questions. I'm not attacking anybody's beliefs or accusing anyone of believing something wrong. I ask them in all innocense and honesty.

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7475
02/22/01 06:05 PM
02/22/01 06:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I hope I didn't somehow kill this thread.

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7476
02/22/01 08:11 PM
02/22/01 08:11 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Sorry to be so slow in responding Mike. I've been proccupied with other things lately. If I didn't agree with the quarterly I would not have saved it, or posted it here.

I agree that we partake of Christ's nature, but as long as we retain these corruptible bodies, we are still fallen and sinful. Of ourselves we are totally corrupt and evil. The only good that anyone has is due to the Holy Spirit working within them, even those who have not accepted Jesus as their Savior.

Since I surrendered my life to God, I have changed. I recognize it myself, because I do not have the same feelings or struggles I had in the early days of my walk with Christ. Others recognize that I am different also. But I know that if I were to choose now to turn my back on God and grieve away His Spirit, I would become even worse than I was before. None of my goodness is due to my own efforts at all. And even now, when I desire to do good things for others, if I examine my own heart, I find that my good motives are still always mixed with selfish ones.

I can live without committing sin, in the strength that God makes available to me just for the asking, but I cannot claim any credit for accomplishing this on my own, and I certainly can't lay any claims to being sinless. Believe me, that is far from the case. Very, very far!

But thanks be to God who gives us the victory, through our Lord Jesus Christ!

------------------

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7477
02/23/01 06:36 PM
02/23/01 06:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for sharing your testimony. God is good. Thank you Jesus. Also, I did not mean for your to feel like I was singling you out in this thread. I'm assuming others are a part of this too.

I'd like to make a few comments and ask a couple questions of everyone reading these threads. But I hesitate because I'm a bit afraid of coming across as not appreciating the precious things people have already written in this thread. So, please forgive me if I seem out of touch or insensitive. The truth is just the opposite.

Cathy wrote:

quote:
I agree that we partake of Christ's nature, but as long as we retain these corruptible bodies, we are still fallen and sinful. Of ourselves we are totally corrupt and evil. The only good that anyone has is due to the Holy Spirit working within them, even those who have not accepted Jesus as their Savior.

Amen. It is so true that we are burdened with the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh from the moment of conception, and as we age and mature those evil inherited propensities only get worse and stronger as we add insult to injury by cultivating our own batch of evil propensities through the poor choices and character we develop.

But in light of this discussion I would like to also draw attention to some insights that have been a blessing to me as I walk daily with my best friend Jesus. I have discovered that the Bible and Ellen White both make a distinction between the corruption associated with sinful flesh and sinful character. And I have come to realize that undestanding this distinction opens doors of comprehension that were previously closed.

Please, allow me to explain. We are all conceived and born into this world with inherited sinful flesh propensities. These evil inclinations are recorded in our DNA and represent our natural instincts. They communicate themselves in the form of unholy desires clamoring for recognition and sinful expression in either thought, word, deed or feeling. Initially they merely constitute a temptation and are discerned consciously as choices we may opt to indulge.

Unfortunately though, at least until we are born again, from infancy we automatically and instinctively experience the desires of our fallen flesh cravings and inclinations. The result of these unholy expressions is sinful "old man" character. That is, sinful character is the fruit or byproduct of obeying the evil propensities originating with our sinful flesh (and most often stimulated by evil angels, agencies or avenues tempting us).

The important thing to remember here is the distinction between sinful flesh and sinful character. They are NOT one and the same thing. The way this insight is helpful in light of this discussion is that possessing sinful flesh is not a sin. God does not hold us accountable for the unholy propensities and clamorings that originate with our sinful flesh. Why? Because they are only temptations. And it is not a sin to be tempted.

It is not the evil desires of fallen flesh that makes us sinful and unworthy of eternal life. Rather, it is our sinful character that disqualifies us for the communion of heavenly people and places. In judgment it is character that determines our eternal destiny, and not the fact that our inherited flesh clamors and craves evil expression.

Jesus inherited the same "sinful flesh" (Romm 8:3) all of us were born with, however, unlike us He did not develop sinful character by obeying the unholy clamorings of His sinful flesh. I realize there are many sweet, God-fearing Christians who heatedly reject this truth about the human nature of Jesus. And I sympathize with their motives.

However, I have found that once a person understands the difference between the evil propensities of sinful flesh versus the evil propensities of sinful character they are moreapt to agree with Paul's conviction that Jesus was born with sinful flesh the same as the rest of us. But it needs to be made painfully clear that although Jesus experienced the same sinful flesh temptations (and much more) that we endure on daily basis, He never ever once yielded and thus He never developed sinful character.

Unlike us Jesus never experienced the evil propensities affliated with sinful character simply because He never developed sinful character. But just like us Jesus is very familiar with what it feels like to resist the continual bombarding from within and without by sinful flesh temptations. And He never sinned and never desired to sin even though His fallen flesh craved to sin.

This brings me back to a point addressed earlier in this thread - possessing sinful flesh does not, in and of itself, make us unfit for eternal life. Our fitness for heaven does not depend on our first birth but rather upon our rebirth. It is character that decides destiny. And character is the stuff of choices rather than inheritance. We do not inherit heaven, we must choose Jesus and heaven is part of the package.

These things lead me to believe that any corruption we possess, which unfits us for heaven, is related to our character choices rather than to our inherited sinful flesh.

And so logically I am also led to conclude that whatever we are able to experience as born again believers abiding in Christ filled with the fullness of the Godhead by the indwelling of His Holy Spirit who graciously empowers us from within to imitate the sinless example of Jesus - partaking of the divine nature - that if all these things are true of us that the fruit of our connection to Jesus will be sinless and void of corruption.

That is, the character choices we make as a result of partaking of the divine nature is reflected in Christlike character. It is the same quality of character that Jesus Himself developed as a result of His connection to God and through partaking, as a human, of the divine nature. These divine connections transcends the corruption associated with sinful flesh and elevates it, as it were, to heavenly places. Thus, it is not corrupted by sinful flesh because it isn't passing through human channels but rather through the divine nature.

I would appreciate hearing from others their response to what I just shared.

Cathy also wrote:

quote:
I can live without committing sin, in the strength that God makes available to me just for the asking, but I cannot claim any credit for accomplishing this on my own, and I certainly can't lay any claims to being sinless. Believe me, that is far from the case. Very, very far!

Amen. Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith and fruit. And so long as we are hid in Christ we stand before the Father without stain or blame or corruption. But does that mean we are also sinless in the ultimate sense - i.e., physically, mentally and spiritually? Not at all, eh?

But does it mean that we can hid ourselves in Christ with concealed or unconfessed moral imperfections? Certainly not. Then what are we in Christ? Most of us, when discussing conversion, are very quick to confess our sinfulness even though we also believe that in Christ we are declared sinless.

But how true is this confession? Can we truly be considered "converted" if in fact our life is full of unconquered known moral imperfections. Will God impute the justifying righteousness of Christ to cover known moral defects of character?

Or does God only justify confessed and forsaken sins and sins of ignorance? And if this is so, then what can we call a sin of ignorance? Can we classify known moral defects of character a sin of ignorance? If not, then what are we referring to when we let others know that we are not sinless?

Again, I hope you don't think I'm being unlovely by asking all these questions. I don't want to offend anyone. But I would enjoy discussing them with whoever is interested in this subject.

Mike

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7478
02/26/01 03:00 PM
02/26/01 03:00 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Very well put, Mike. Although I may not agree entirely with your specific choice of words, that is the best description I have ever seen of Christ's human nature. I got into an argument with a pastor once, who insisted that Christ's human nature was that of Adam before the fall. As I was doing research to present my case to him, I looked up the word "sinful" in the dictionary and concluded that it was not the proper word to use in connection with Jesus in any way. Since then, I prefer to use the word "fallen" to describe His human nature. Some would say that the meaning is the same, but I see a very subtle difference between the two words. However, your explanation is clear enough so that I can see that you actually understand the issue in very much the same way that I do.

This is a very important issue, and it is too bad that there is so much controversy over it within the Adventist church.

------------------

Re: Go And Sin No More? #7479
02/26/01 06:52 PM
02/26/01 06:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Hello Everyone,

Cathy, thank you for sharing how you studied to know the truth about the human nature of Jesus and the ways you labored to express your thoughts in a manner not causing more confusion than solutions. As you noticed I too like to use the phrase "fallen flesh" as much as the phrase "sinful flesh." While they pretty much mean the same thing the one is more palatable than the other, isn't it?

I'm wondering though if anyone, including you Cathy, would like to respond to the following questions posted earlier?

quote:
Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith and fruit. And so long as we are hid in Christ we stand before the Father without stain or blame or corruption. But does that mean we are also sinless in the ultimate sense - i.e., physically, mentally and spiritually? Not at all, eh?

But does it mean that we can hid ourselves in Christ with concealed or unconfessed moral imperfections? Certainly not. Then what are we in Christ? Most of us, when discussing conversion, are very quick to confess our sinfulness even though we also believe that in Christ we are declared sinless.

But how true is this confession? Can we truly be considered "converted" if in fact our life is full of unconquered known moral imperfections. Will God impute the justifying righteousness of Christ to cover known moral defects of character?

Or does God only justify confessed and forsaken sins and sins of ignorance? And if this is so, then what can we call a sin of ignorance? Can we classify known moral defects of character a sin of ignorance? If not, then what are we referring to when we let others know that we are not sinless?

Thank you and God bless,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!