HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: JUSTIFICATION #74803
08/17/06 03:05 PM
08/17/06 03:05 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
No, Scott: that never did work which is why Jesus didn't do it either. Once we've chosen God's will he accommodates our interests. I expected you to do your own homework on that point.

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74804
08/17/06 09:34 PM
08/17/06 09:34 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Oh, Scott, I should add that choosing God's will instead of our own involves dying to sin and self by faith in Jesus: we can only choose grace over sinfulness by Jesus having died as us so that we can die by faith as we choose grace.

Jesus is the focus of our choices and his death is our death. Otherwise we cannot die to self and sin since he wouldn't have died our death. His self-sacrificing love motivated him and motivates us by his own actions.

A legally necessary death and a restorable relationship by the reconciliation achieved by Jesus' propitiating atonement. Sorry for all the detail, but one can neither exclude dying to self from taking Jesus as personal Lord and Saviour nor reduce its detail in understanding it.

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74805
08/17/06 10:27 PM
08/17/06 10:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Sorry not to respond earlier, Colin. I think I was going to post something, was thinking about it, and then forgot.

A brief response is that I think there are elements that we can take from the different theories of the atonement. For example, from the ransom view (it had different versions) we get the idea that Christ liberated us from slavery was transfering us to a new kingdom, and a new master. This is similar to Israel's being redeemed from slavery.

From the moral influence theory we get the idea that we are motivated by God's love for us revealed at the cross.

From Christus Victor, we get the idea that Christ's life and death defeated the forces of evil.

From Anselm we get the idea that God's honor was offeneded, and Christ's death was necessary to restore it. I can make sense of Anselm's idea but putting it a little differently than he would. I would say that God's character (or honor) was vindicated by Christ's life and death, in that Christ showed what God was really like (e.g. John 1:18), and this vindicated His character (or restored His honor).

From Ellen White we get a cosmic understanding of the atonement, that Christ's death was not just for humanity, but had implications which reach the onlooking universe.

So I think all of these elements are important. I'm skipping the corporate or federal idea. That's a good one too, that due to Christ's death the emancipation papers of the human race have been signed. Christ actually accomplished something for every human being. That's a beautiful thought as well.

There are many angles presented in Scripture. Boy, another crucial one I missed was reconciliation. The death of Christ reconciles us to God, by destroying the enmity that existed in us before knowing Him (e.g. Col. 1:18-20).

Anyway, all of these elements are helpful to keep in mind in understanding the significance of Christ's life and death.

Two elements I disagree with are:

a.Christ died in order to make it possible for God to forgive us (I'm speaking in a unilateral sense here, not in the sense that we receive forgiveness; e.g. Christ's prayer "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

b.Christ died as a propitiation to appease God's wrath.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: JUSTIFICATION #74806
08/19/06 03:49 AM
08/19/06 03:49 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Quote:

by Collin: Oh, Scott, I should add that choosing God's will instead of our own involves dying to sin and self by faith in Jesus: we can only choose grace over sinfulness by Jesus having died as us so that we can die by faith as we choose grace.

Jesus is the focus of our choices and his death is our death. Otherwise we cannot die to self and sin since he wouldn't have died our death. His self-sacrificing love motivated him and motivates us by his own actions.

A legally necessary death and a restorable relationship by the reconciliation achieved by Jesus' propitiating atonement. Sorry for all the detail, but one can neither exclude dying to self from taking Jesus as personal Lord and Saviour nor reduce its detail in understanding it.

I'll try that one on my VBS kids this Sabbath!

Ok kids, you must choose grace over sin and die by faith (Spiritually of course) because Jesus reconciled us to God by propitiation. His self-sacrificing love will motivate us by His own actions because His death was a legal necessity. But don't worry because Jesus' death is our death if He is the focus of our choices.

There, now go tell your friends!

In Christ, scott

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74807
09/01/06 02:36 AM
09/01/06 02:36 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Colin.

Quote.
Your first meaning of justification - for everyone - is correct but doesn't confer title to heaven - which requires faith, to produce fitness: global justification is by Christ's act on the cross in saving everyone, whereby each human is given property ownership of Jesus' merits by inheritance, without possessing it - which takes faith on our part. This is the building blocks of grace in the gospel, but it saves before changing the mind of the sinner (see below): when it is known to the sinner it does change the mind into a repentant and trusting attitude.
Unquote.

I disagree with you for your statement is against the Scripture (Romans 2:14,15).
Here Paul stated that those Gentiles who didn’t have the law, who didn’t knew Christ, including those who never new there is God Creator of heaven and earth, who worshiped idols, trees, cows, etc, but have the principle of the law in their hearts, not only they have the title to heaven, they are fit for heaven.

Your statement above “global justification is by Christ's act on the cross in saving everyone, whereby each human is given property ownership of Jesus' merits by inheritance, without possessing it - which takes faith on our part” shows that Christ’ redemption work does not really saves, a man still need faith to him to be saved. When He saved humanity on the cross, you said “not yet, you are not saved yet.” Sorry, I can't hear this.
Christ’ imputed righteousness is for every man, Gentiles and believers, idol worshipper and God worshipper, it doesn’t need faith at all, it is his righteousness imputed to every man that saves, because all men were justified once and for all to live, and to live here means really living without any conditions. The living wicked would sent to hell, the living righteous would go to heaven. And among the righteous people who go to heaven, are all of them Christ’ believers? Who put their faith in Him? No, there are many who didn’t know him, who never knew about him including those idols and trees worshipper. And probably there are among them also who reject Christ because that what was taught to them, but nevertheless they have the principle of heaven in their heart, and that is enough for them to be fit in heaven.
In His love

James S.

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74808
09/01/06 12:09 PM
09/01/06 12:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, you need to define what you mean by "saves." Also you could point out what you think "saved" or "saves" mean in Colin's posts. It looks to me like you guys are talking past each other. I agree with Scott that this language is overly-complicated. Really the issue is very simple. We were alienate in our hearts and minds, misunderstanding God. Christ came to show us what God is really like. Eternal life is knowing God, which happens by way of believing Christ's revelation.

The corporate aspect is encompassed in that had Christ not come, the entire human race would have been lost. Because He came, the human race was saved, meaning not that each individual will be saved but the race as a whole was saved from the destruction which would have impacted the entire race had Christ not come. Therefore to the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: JUSTIFICATION #74809
09/11/06 03:58 AM
09/11/06 03:58 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
OK, Tom.

For me, humanity was once saved by Christ redemption on the cross. This is salvation in a corporate sense; “as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive” (1 Cor. 15:21). By this act on the cross, humanity was given back their life once robbed by Adam. It doesn’t need faith to have this “life”, for it is life for every one in the real sense. Just as we die not because of our fault, so, we live, not because of our effort.

This life after death is humanity “ticket to heaven”, they are all entitled to enter heaven and live eternally. If every one that rise from the death has the principle of heaven in their hearts, would they not all enter heaven and live eternally? But, the reality is as according to the bible, not all who were resurrected from the 1st death would enter heaven. Many of them died again the 2nd death. Why? Because even they are all entitled to go to heaven, not all have the principle of heaven in their hearts. So, to have the principle of heaven is our Fitness for heaven.

And to have the principle of heaven is not merely by having faith in Christ, otherwise there is no chance for those who never hear about the Gospel and never knew about Christ. But Paul gives a hint in Romans 2:12-15; that there would be many who never hear and knew about the Gospel and Christ would be saved too because they have the principle of heaven in their hearts.

The main issue for to have eternal life in heaven and the new world is to have the principle of heaven in our heart. How we got it is another issue; many through their faith in Christ and many through the work of the Holy Spirit without ever knowing about Christ and his gospel.

But contrary to Colin’s view, salvation is just for those who have faith in Christ, because only these people might have the “imparted righteousness of Christ” which is their Fitness for heaven.

Seems you are also at the same side: “Because He came, the human race was saved, meaning not that each individual will be saved but the race as a whole was saved from the destruction which would have impacted the entire race had Christ not come.”
I think you must clarify this statement.

In His love

James S

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74810
09/11/06 04:21 AM
09/11/06 04:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, I wrote this:

Quote:

The corporate aspect is encompassed in that had Christ not come, the entire human race would have been lost. Because He came, the human race was saved, meaning not that each individual will be saved but the race as a whole was saved from the destruction which would have impacted the entire race had Christ not come. Therefore to the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.

This seems quite clear to me. Is there some part of this which you do not understand? I'm not sure what you're wanting me to clarify.

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74811
09/11/06 02:41 PM
09/11/06 02:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, I agree with you that there will be people in heaven who never heard the name of Jesus. They responded to the influence of the Holy Spirit in a way that makes it safe for Jesus reward them with eternal life.

TE: The corporate aspect is encompassed in that had Christ not come, the entire human race would have been lost.

MM: True, but the "entire human race" at that point consisted only of Adam and Eve. None of us would have been born.

TE: Therefore to the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.

MM: Amen!

Re: JUSTIFICATION #74812
09/11/06 10:41 PM
09/11/06 10:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In God's mind, who sees the end from the beginning, the human race consisted of those who would be born of Adam and Eve, not just Adam and Eve. The entire human race was saved, which includes us.

He took in His grasp the world over which Satan claimed to preside as his lawful territory, and by His wonderful work in giving His life, He restored the whole race of men to favor with God. (1SM 343)

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!