HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74960
06/30/06 07:52 PM
06/30/06 07:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Nice post, Mark.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74961
06/30/06 08:20 PM
06/30/06 08:20 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Mark, do you think that the Spirit did not reveal that the earth orbits the Sun until Copernicus figured it out? Nothing has been hidden from man. Man has been the victim of his own limitations. When you think you have the truth then you will see nothing else.

Darius A. Lecointe, J.D., Ph.D.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74962
06/30/06 08:33 PM
06/30/06 08:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Some of the old greeks knew the earth orbits the sun, unfortunately the medievals voted for the wrong greek scientist...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74963
06/30/06 09:18 PM
06/30/06 09:18 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Correct, Thomas. Ptolemy was well aware of Aristarchus' work. So the issue is not revelation but discovery. It always is. All we need has always been here.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74964
07/01/06 12:24 AM
07/01/06 12:24 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Darius, you said, 'When you think you have the truth you will see nothing else'. I hope we're all students and have some sense of how little we know in all fields - religion, science, philosophy. Wasn't it Moses who after conversing face to face with God for 40 years as a man talks with a friend begged God to grant him a few more years because He had only begun to show him His glory?

What are the implications of having a spirit? I think this concept increases in our minds of the worth of a soul. It makes our ideas of the individual more distict and noble. It challenges us to not cover ourselves with fig leaves when we approach God because as spiritual beings we know that God sees us as we are.

In Christ's day, one of His main works was to cast out demons. As we've seen, there is evidence that angels, good and bad have bodies of some sort. And yet legions of evil angels can possess the mind of a person. What treatment are all, or nearly all persons with mental disorders given today? Mind altering drugs. In contrast, rather than further clouding the individuals only link to reality, his mind, with mind altering drugs, Christ fixed the mental imbalance. The spirit of the person might be gaged and bound mentally but Christ set him free.

And if the truth were told, unless Christ delivers us, we all are in a similar state spiritually to that of the demoniacs.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74965
07/01/06 12:59 AM
07/01/06 12:59 AM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Mark, I am no more a spirit than my dog would be human. I could give all the virtures attached to my dog being a human and that would not make him human. God created spirit beings and humans. We are not spirit beings. All the speculative theories in the world won't change that. To insist that man is different from what God made him as is to deny the very essence of what God did. Bear that in mind.

Spirit beings can take on bodies. This does not mean they are body-bound.

Last edited by Darius; 07/01/06 01:00 AM.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74966
07/01/06 04:37 PM
07/01/06 04:37 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
It's a characteristic of angels, good and bad, to appear to us in different forms. We know that much from the apostle's exhortation to practise hospitality, his reason being that we might be entertaining angels by entertaining strangers. But although angels can change their outward form and are not bound by time and space (they can travel much faster than the speed of light apparently) this is not to say that they are free to leave their bodies at will or that they have no body.

On the other hand, it does seem to me that God is able to summon the spirit of a man and likely the spirit of an angel, to appear before him or to instruct him, in the body or out of the body at will. But the normal state of man and it seems of other intelligences is that the spirit plus the body equals the soul.

So when the scripture says that God is the Lord of Hosts, it's saying He is Lord of the various hosts, free moral agents, the Lord of spirit-beings. This concept rings true to me because it emphasises on the one hand the glorious fellowship that we are capable of entering into with God, spirit with spirit, and on the other, it is also a solemn warning of the punishment that awaits those who grieve away the spirit of God from their spirits once and for all.

Animals lower than man are fascinating regarding their spirits. Dogs are so human in their emotions; they’re so much like us. They give their affections to humans almost without reserve. They even have a conscience of sorts. But they aren't accountable spirit beings and my guess is that’s why Solomon says their spirits go down to the earth while the spirit of man goes upward to an unconscious holding state to await the final judgment.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74967
07/01/06 04:38 PM
07/01/06 04:38 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
What is the difference between being a spirit and being spiritual?

/Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74968
07/01/06 05:26 PM
07/01/06 05:26 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Mark, you are committing the most basic logic error of begging the question. You have decided that man is or has a spirit and are using this information to prove that man is or has a spirit. That way you will prove your case every time. With absolutely no foundation you assert that the Lord of the various hosts is another way of saying the Lord of spirit beings. That approach is lamentable.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #74969
07/01/06 06:30 PM
07/01/06 06:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Quote:

yhwh sebaot. The meaning of the phrase (284x, incl. 18x with elohe added to yhwh and 5x in place of it) is much debated. It is usually translated "LORD of hosts" (NRSV), and is associated with battle (1 Sam 4:4; Isa 31:4), with the hosts identified with human or divine (angelic) armies. For the former, see 1 Sam 17:45, "the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel" (NRSV; NIV "the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel"). In texts where God calls judgement upon Israel, often through the use of foreign armies, they remain God's hosts in the service of a divine objective (Isa 1:24-25). The divine armies position appeals to texts such as Judg 5:20 (cf. Isa 13:4) ; stars (also called "hosts" with other heavenly bodies) symbolize the heavenly hosts, the angels of Yahweh's court that do his bidding (1 Kgs 22:19; Job 38:7; Ps 103:19-21), in war or peace. The association of heavenly hosts, in the astrological sense, with idolatry (Deut 4:19) may have been a limiting factor on this understanding in certain periods.

But one need not choose between these positions. Because saba (army, warfare) in the human sphere has reference not only to armies (1 Sam 8:11-12) but to other workers in the service of God (Exod 38:8), indeed to Israel as a whole (12:41), it may be that each of the above could be in view in one or another context.
Hosts has reference to any group, human of divine, called upon by God to mediate a divine objective, which may or may not be military in nature. The fact that the phrase occurs 251x in the Prophets may reflect the prophet as a member of the divine council (Jer 23:18, 22), and the word of God thus becomes a divine instrument, often for purposes of judgment (23:29). Another approach would take "hosts" as a plural of intensification or majesty, particularly in view of the LXX translation of hosts as "Almighty". But such an abstraction lacks convincing evidence.

Quoted "Dictionary of old testament theology & exegesis, volume 4; pp 1297-1298"

LXX=the septaguint

/Thomas

Galatians 2

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!