HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75010
07/06/06 11:21 AM
07/06/06 11:21 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
John I agree completely that this topic is only important because it relates directly the spiritual nature of our warfare. That's why I initiated it and have invest this amount of time in it. We need to see that character, which is what is at stake, is often used by Ellen White to refer to the essence of the entire person, to his spirit.

Regarding the Review's position on the Apostle's vision, it would be better to quote the scripture. The scripture indicates that Paul believed it was indeed possible to be taken to heaven in or out of the body. The term 'in the spirit' is also used in other places in scripture and if we put the evidence together with the scripture and passages I've cited, we can come to the right conclusion, notwithstanding that some might see this as faulty logic.

Welcome Kabuli. I'm saying Adam, a human, was a spirit- being and that's what you and I are too. The issues of the Christian warfare are spiritual. We are not fighting flesh and blood.

6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].
6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Eph.

As spiritual creatures we need to fight intelligently in this warfare.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75011
07/06/06 01:00 PM
07/06/06 01:00 PM
K
kubuli  Offline
Posting New Member
Muncie, Indiana
Quote:

Welcome Kabuli. I'm saying Adam, a human, was a spirit- being and that's what you and I are too. The issues of the Christian warfare are spiritual. We are not fighting flesh and blood.

6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].
6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Eph.

As spiritual creatures we need to fight intelligently in this warfare.

I don't understand why you would say that. The fight in the great controversy is between two spirits: the Creator and Lucifer. Humans are caught in the crossfire. There are some who think that we have some combat role to play in this fight. But We are the civilians in this war. We were claimed by the enemy. If we misunderstand the nature of the war and who the combatants are we will inevitably come up with other unique interpretations that can make our misapprehensions make sense.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75012
07/06/06 01:33 PM
07/06/06 01:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Regarding the Review's position on the Apostle's vision, it would be better to quote the scripture. The scripture indicates that Paul believed it was indeed possible to be taken to heaven in or out of the body. The term 'in the spirit' is also used in other places in scripture and if we put the evidence together with the scripture and passages I've cited, we can come to the right conclusion, notwithstanding that some might see this as faulty logic.

It would be better to quote the Scripture than present an argument based on the Scripture? The whole question is the interpretation of the Scripture, isn't it? We can read what it says. The question is, what does it mean?

Your argument seems to me to be very much a surface argument, sort of like the argument that Christ went to paradise immediately after He died on the cross, because He said to the thief, "Verily I say unto you today you will be with Me in paradice." Dr. Rodriguez seems to me to be making a closer inspection of the text. For example:

We should not introduce into the discussion the term spirit, because Paul does not use it here. The phrase “outside the body” is employed only once more by Paul, in 1 Corinthians 6:18, in the context of his discussion on the nature of fornication: “All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.” Certainly Paul is not saying that sins are committed by a bodiless entity who resides inside the body. The body is always involved in our sinning. Paul’s argument is that there are sins in which the body is not involved in the trespass to the same extent it is involved in the case of fornication. “Outside the body” does not mean without the body but a condition in which the body is not as involved as in other cases.

This looks to me to be a valid argument. Do you see any weekness in it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75013
07/06/06 05:46 PM
07/06/06 05:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What is the "spirit" of a man? The Bible uses words like flesh, heart, soul, mind, and spirit to describe our mental and emotional and spiritual make up.

Ezekiel
11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
11:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Matthew
26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak.

John
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Romans
2:29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

1 Corinthians
5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Ephesians
4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Colossians
2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

Hebrews
4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Peter
4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75014
07/07/06 01:34 AM
07/07/06 01:34 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I smiled Kubuli when I read your post. Have another look at what you wrote and the text right above your statement on Christian warfare to see who the combatants are.

Good work MM. Please reader, look carefully at those texts and draw your own conclusions. Note the statements of Christ Himself on this issue recorded in Matthew and John and posted above. But let me add this one as both the capstone and the cornerstone of all the scripture I've cited so far on the topic:

Quote:

23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. Luke

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75015
07/07/06 01:59 AM
07/07/06 01:59 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Where, according to Christ's very last words, was His spirit while He slept in the tomb until Resurrection Sunday? Wouldn't the spirits of all who die in faith be in the same place awaiting the final resurrection? Do those kinds of thoughts help or hinder the gospel?

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75016
07/07/06 02:02 AM
07/07/06 02:02 AM
K
kubuli  Offline
Posting New Member
Muncie, Indiana
Quote:

I smiled Kubuli when I read your post. Have another look at what you wrote and the text right above your statement on Christian warfare to see who the combatants are.

Too sad you smiled, Mark. The wrestling we do to resist the enemy's efforts to enslave us do not settle the Great Controversy. War is one subject on which humans are an authority. Study the effects of war and the confusion just may be removed.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75017
07/07/06 10:25 AM
07/07/06 10:25 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA

I'm saying to you Kubuli, don't take my word for it; look at scripture to see whether the image of a soldier on a *spiritual* battlefield is used to descibe the Christian.

I quoted you all the very last words of Christ that our representative, the second Adam, commended His spirit to God. This spirit of His is similar, if not identical to the broad concept of character the Ellen White constantly referred the church to throughout her life. But the church has not understood how broad her concept of character is. When we've read her statements that the only thing we take with us to heaven is our character, we have incorrectly interpreted character to mean only moral values, and it's possible she had this more restricted view in mind in some parts of her writings. But if we look at other statements, we see that she often is referring to the whole identity of the person, to his spirit. So, her teaching is not out of line with Christ's final words, with the prophets or Apostles, or with Solomon who said:
Quote:

8:8 [There is] no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither [hath he] power in the day of death: and [there is] no discharge in [that] war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

12:7 Then [that is, at death] shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Eccl.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75018
07/07/06 10:43 AM
07/07/06 10:43 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Christ said of himself that he had the power to lay down his own life and power to take it up. Adventism has taught that the spirit of man is merely the 'breath of life' from God. That is an element of what the scripture means by the spirit of man, but only a part of it. The more important aspect from our point of view is that our spirits are us, our essence, our characters. Why would Christ, in His dying moment wrap his arms of faith about the Father and merely say to Him, Here is the breath of life that you gave me. Please take it back. If the spirit Christ was committing to the Father was only the life we all borrow from God with no personal identy, then there is nothing unique about our spirits and we (and Christ) would have no burden to see that the Father receives our spirits in safe keeping. But if in fact our spirits are our essence, our personal identity which are animated by the Spirit of God, then when we approach our final hour we would be quite interested in yielding our spirits to God as Christ did.

Re: What is the spirit of a man? #75019
07/07/06 10:50 AM
07/07/06 10:50 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
But here is the nub of the matter: If we yield our spirits to God consistently as we walk the narrow path here, when we reach the pass of the Jordan, we may be tempted to falter, but the Holy Spirit will take us by the hand and lead us through as we have yeilded to Him in our past experiences.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!