HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
"Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7512
12/27/00 05:35 PM
12/27/00 05:35 PM
D
Durk  Offline OP
North America
I've heard quite a bit lately about how the old "proof-text" method of Bible study is inadequate, unscholarly, and fosters a let-someone-else-do-your-thinking-for-you type layity. The "inductive" method, on the other hand, leads to true understanding of the Scripture and lends itself to "being taught by the Holy Spirit."

Can someone shed some light on these two methods? Does each have its place? Is one better than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? What other methods of study are there?

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7513
12/28/00 05:27 PM
12/28/00 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Durk

You have asked a really good question, worthy of continued study.

Over the years, I have studied with a wide variety of people in the community; and I have used both inductive and proof-texting methods.

Both are equally important; and both can be equally abused, and used to present Scripture out of context.

If you wanted to do a study on love for instance; with the proof text method of study, one way would be to get a concordance, and look up all the Scripture passages that use that word.

You could also turn to specific books or chapters of the Bible such as 1 Cor.13 and study more inductively.

Any method of Bible study would quickly go sour if the Scripture was bent out of context with it.

As Nehemiah once said: "So they read in the Book, out of the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading." (Neh.8:8).

Now, I have just "proof-texted" you! If I were to inductively study your question, using this verse; I would simply be expanding on the context of the verse by asking things like "Who was Nehemiah speaking to? At what point in history did this occur?" "How will your Bible study habits be different, as a result of reading this verse/passage?"

Sometimes; it is best to use a short verse or two, and other times, people are more interested in the expanded version of the study. Neither method is really wrong. It depends on what the situation requires.

Well, I had better let this rest for now; and see what kind of comments come up. I have lots of info on this subject, and will be happy to say more later.

------------------
Soul winning is soul loving.
see 1 Thes.5:14-15).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7514
01/03/01 07:16 PM
01/03/01 07:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Durk

I thought you would be interested in the following example of "prooftexting" that is really just "pretexting."

"The Bible says: "Owe no man anything; but to love one another." Therefore, I am free of all my debts, and I will not pay my rent this month."

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7515
01/04/01 07:26 PM
01/04/01 07:26 PM
D
Durk  Offline OP
North America
David

Thank you for your interest in this topic.
This is not really what I have in mind when I say "proof-texting". Anyone who interprets this passage in this way has more to worry about than paying his rent. I don't think any rational, serious, Bible student would twist scripture this badly.

More what I had in mind was something like Question: "How did we get here?"
Answer: "God created us." (Proof-text: Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.")

What is so unscholarly with that?

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7516
01/06/01 12:31 PM
01/06/01 12:31 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Would this approch seem reasonable ?

With prayers for willingness to love, serve, and obey and be taught by God - try these suggestions. The Bible & SOP contain the words but God alone can teach the heart and mind given to Him to work with on His terms.

Take every direct Bible text/passage upon a subject. Place it in it's written context.

Take every indirect Bible text/passage upon a subject. Place it in it's written context.

Take the direct & indirect texts/passages to the best SOP search engines & data bases & indexes you have and cross reference the data.

Now "storyboard" what you have found and exchange it with other trusted folks.

Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Proverbs 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Sometimes it is like an internal war to allow (or force)personal opinions and ideas and attitudes to change, in the face of evidence that shows new things. Inspiration even opens the door for human councel on it's terms.

A very good question you have posed. Do you have any elaboration ?

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7517
01/07/01 05:27 AM
01/07/01 05:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Durk

I can totally relate to what you are saying about proof texting. I think that's the way I understood it. I have had some individuals present me with that version of "owe no man anything," and the only point I was trying to make was that when we give just one text for an answer, or when we give a one page answer; it has to line up with the text I mentioned out of Neh.8.

To me, the number of verses used to make a particular point is not as important as how the passage is used.

For another eg. The text you supplied out of Gen.1 is a good answer to the example question you gave. You have quoted it in it's proper context. What might be missing could be called "the rest of the story." You are correct, I think, in stating that one verse often does not tell everything about a subject; but would that make the one verse "unscholarly?"

If you read a given passage in all four gospels, you will see that each writer notices some different aspects about the same event, and in a similar way, different people are going to see different things in the same verse.

It is OK to "proof text," as long as the door is open for further discussion.

What do you think?

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7518
01/07/01 05:20 PM
01/07/01 05:20 PM
D
Durk  Offline OP
North America
Thank you for the responses. They are very helpful. Perhaps the larger question is "HOW should we study the Bible? What techniques are legitimate, and which are not?"

This question itself comes from a larger concern, that being that over the years I have been troubled by some really aberent ideas and "theology" that I've heard in Sabbath Schools, sermons, and talking to church members. Now, everyone has the right to their own opinion, but nobody has the right to be wrong about the facts. In other words, an opinion, to be valid, must be based on fact, research, and study, otherwise it just isn't valid. Too many opinions reveal a lack of study on the part of the holder. It's the result of hear-say, misunderstanding, and taking somebody's word for what "the Bible says." Proof-texting, while not in itself harmful, lends itself to this kind of attitude.

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7519
01/07/01 05:30 PM
01/07/01 05:30 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Doesn't the Bible, itself, tell us how we should study it?

Daryl

Re: "Proof-texting" vs. "Inductive" Bible Study #7520
01/11/01 09:14 PM
01/11/01 09:14 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I have to agree with Daryl. If you are studying the Bible with an open mind and allowing the Bible to answer your questions (and I would definitely go for more than one or two verses to get a full and complete answer) then it is hard to go wrong. I think that it is when we come to the Bible with a preconceived notion or closed mind that we come up with the wrong answers. We must allow the Bible to interpret itself, because it always does, God leaves nothing to chance! If you are having difficulties finding the answer you are looking for, ask others to study with you. We are promised that if we seek we shall find and we MUST claim that promise in Bible study!!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!