HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76635
07/10/06 02:48 AM
07/10/06 02:48 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
When I presented the question, I didn't say who said it. I was interested in the idea. It appears from your response that you agree with me, that the law of God is *not* just a set of rules, and the word "just" could have been chosen a little better, as in the word "precisely." However, quite a number of seemed to jump into the thread defending the idea that the law of God *is* just a set of rules. So it's making for an interesting thread.

A key question to consider is if God could have chosen some other set of rules. That's what would make it abritrary. If by a "set of rules," what is means is an enunciation of the principles which make up His character, as best suited for human being, then it seems to me that we are in agreement.

The point I was making was that the law of God was not something God made up, as if it could have been something different than what it was. God gave it as a hedge to protect us from the negative effects of disobeying it, which would have existed even had the law had not been given, as James is making evident in his posts.

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76636
07/10/06 02:51 AM
07/10/06 02:51 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, I'm not understanding you. One the one hand you say God gave the law so He could justly kill people, and on the other you say He killed people before He gave the law, and that sin is not imputed where there is no law. So it looks to me like you are contradicting yourself.

The law is a transcript of God's character. God's character existed before the law was given. The law didn't create any new thing about God's character. Judgment has to do with how we match up to God's character. We are either in harmony with God's character or not, regardless of whether the law had been given. The law doesn't make us anything we weren't already. It's a dianostic tool. It recognizes sin, and it recognizes righteousness.

I didn't understand the EGW question you directed to me.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76637
07/10/06 06:06 AM
07/10/06 06:06 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
JS: But BTW, could you explain in brief what is “Sister White's insights regarding the eternal nature of God's law and kingdom and character?”

MM: All three are based on God's timelessness. The principles of God's law are as eternal as He is. Thus, the law was not created. Instead, it has always been. In other words, He didn't have to make it up in order to execute judgment or offer mercy.
Unquote.

I disagree if the law is not created, it was written by God's own finger. And God must issue a legal written law to execute his judgment. He must, otherwise he is unjust, unfair, a tyrant and dictator , precise as what Satan said about him and no one would love him.

In His love

James S.

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76638
07/10/06 06:12 AM
07/10/06 06:12 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Tom.

My line of though is clear that in order to justify what happened to men ever since Adam and Eve was expelled from Eden, God must issue a legal written law , without that he would be seen as a Tyrant, Dictator and not a loving God.

Enforcing his judgment without a set of rules, a written law, is showing his injustice and tyranny.

Therefore, when the time is right (at Sinai) God issued his written law, written by his Own finger, if he think it is not important to issue his law, he might command people to do what he wants without ever issuing a law written by his own finger.

Once the law was issued all men came under condemnation (Romans 3:19), because the Decalogue was not mean to be for Israel only and came in force just after the time it was issued, but it covers people and the time since the fall of Adam (when there is no law yet) till heaven and earth pass (Matthew 5:18).

If God never issued a written law (the Decalogue), then his judgment against men ever since the fall of Adam is UNJUST and NOT FAIR . Because when there is no law, there is no transgression and when there is no law, sin is not imputed, but nevertheless death reigned from the time of Adam’s fall till the issuing of the law at Sinai (Romans 5:13, 14).

It is clear, that I make a clear distinction between orally spoken law or commandments and written law (the Decalogue). The time when there is no written law, Paul refers as when there is no law, which I agree.

Romans 5:13 (NIV).
….., for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law.

No matter the law is a transcript of His character that exist ever since there is God, but to be JUST and FAIR, God must make it written to legalize and justify his judgment.

In His love

James S

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76639
07/10/06 02:05 PM
07/10/06 02:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

It appears from your response that you agree with me, that the law of God is *not* just a set of rules, and the word "just" could have been chosen a little better, as in the word "precisely."

Well, "precisely" is the first acceptation of the adverb "just", according to Webster:

adv.
1 neither more nor less than; precisely; exactly "just one o‘clock"
2 almost at the point of; nearly "just preparing to leave"
3 no more than; only "just a taste, just teasing you"
4 by a very small amount; barely "to just miss a train"
5 a very short time ago "she has just left"
6 immediately "just east of the church"
7 [Colloq.] quite; really "to feel just fine"

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76640
07/10/06 02:37 PM
07/10/06 02:37 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The purpose for this thread is to pursue the question of if the law of God is simply a set of rules. Let's try that word. Whether we use the word "just" or "precisely" or "merely" or "only" or "simply" or whatever, my question remains the same.

Consider that the law is a transcript of God's character. Also the law is called "truth" by the Psalmest, and we are that it's end is "life."

Also the ten commandments may be viewed as ten promises, which have their Amen in Christ, to be received by faith.

Can these things be adequately encapsulated by the phrase "just a set of rules"?

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76641
07/10/06 02:48 PM
07/10/06 02:48 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, if there were no law, then, by your own argument, God can not execute judgment on those who lived before the legal document was drafted.

For God to execute generations of men based on a document which He wrote hundreds or thousands of years after they lived would be the height of injustice! The law can only be a standard of justice for those who lived before it was formerly given at Sinai if it already existed in some form, and Paul brings out that it did exist in Romans 1 and 2, in that God has revealed Himself to all men so that they are without excuse.

Also the law was not ordained to death, but to life. It is sin which causes death, not the law, which Paul points out:

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. (Rom. 7:10-14)

The problem is not with the law, but with sin. And the purpose for which God gave the law was not to condemn, but to save! God's character was revealed perfectly in Jesus Christ, who repeatedly told us that He came not to condemn, or to judge, or to destroy, but to save.

The law cooperates in our salvation by making clear our sin, and by making clear to us the righteousness of God, so that we will be driven to Jesus Christ in whom we can find pardon for our sin and the righteousness which the law declares.

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76642
07/10/06 03:06 PM
07/10/06 03:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, the truth about God's existence was not written until Moses wrote about it hundreds of years after the Flood. Does this mean God did not exist until Moses wrote about Him? I'm sure you will answer - No. So, then, why are you insisting the law did not exist until Jesus gave it to Moses on tables of stone? Abraham obeyed the moral law long before it was ever written. I agree, however, that the other laws were new to Israel.

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76643
07/11/06 03:40 AM
07/11/06 03:40 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
James, if there were no law, then, by your own argument, God can not execute judgment on those who lived before the legal document was drafted.
Unquote.

I disagree! It is not my argument, but Paul:” ….., for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law.” Romans 5:13 (NIV).
“Nevertheless death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses ………….” Romans 5:14 (NIV).

Clearly stated here:
1. The law was given at a later stage than the entering of sin in this world.
2. Death reigned from the time of Adam’s fall till Moses time when the law was given at Sinai
3. The time within Adam’s fall till Sinai when the Ten Commandments was given to Moses, is a time “before the law was given” IOW “when there is no law.”
4. If there is no law sin should not be taken into account, because, if there is no law there is no transgression (Romans 4:15)
5. But nevertheless death reigned in the time when there is no law, which is a time since the fall of Adam till Moses.

These are not my argument but Paul, the same with what I think that death which happened to people at the time when there is no law is an event that needs to be justified , because there is God Creator of heaven and earth and King of the universe. Therefore, the Law at last was issued at Sinai, written by God’s own finger on blocks of stone, to enunciate to mankind that this Decalogue is the law of God that God is the author of the Decalogue : Do it and live!

The implication to those who transgress God’s law is death, which by the issuance of this written law, is justified.

Ever since Sinai, through the Decalogue God has a legal law to justify his judgment.

Sorry Tom, we couldn’t get to agreement because I think you have seen it wrong.

In His love

James S

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76644
07/11/06 04:09 AM
07/11/06 04:09 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
So it was not a sin for Cain to kill Able since there was no law against it?

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!