HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,678 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76645
07/11/06 05:16 AM
07/11/06 05:16 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, what you have presented is not Paul's argument, but the reverse. Paul is not arguing that there was a time when the law did not exist. As Mike pointed out, it is written that Abraham obeyed God, and kept His commandments. Paul is speaking of the time the law was formerly given, when it was spoken by Him at Sinai, but if what you are suggesting were true, then God would not be just, but unjust, because how could God execute people after the fact for a law He gave *after* they had committed whatever crimes they were supposedly guilty of? How does this make any sense?

If I cross an intersection in my car, where there isn't any stop sign, can a cop write me a ticked for running a stop sign which is put in some years after I've moved to another state?

When God tells us to "do it and live!" it is as a loving Father who has given us wise counsel. He is telling us the principles which lead to life, happiness and peace. We see the fruit of these principles in the life of Christ, who was the Law personfied. We see the perfect picture of love, which is what God's character looks like. It is not God saying, "Do it, or else!"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76646
07/11/06 01:48 PM
07/11/06 01:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

The purpose for this thread is to pursue the question of if the law of God is simply a set of rules.

Your contention in the other thread was that rules are arbitrary, while principles are not. I said there was no real difference between rules and principles, because God established both on the basis of His character. God's rules are just His principles expressed in a practical way. Thus, if rules are arbitrary, so are principles. If principles aren't arbitrary, neither are rules.

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76647
07/11/06 06:14 PM
07/11/06 06:14 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rules are arbitrary if there is no inherent reason for their existence. If you think the Ten Commandments were given as a practical expression of God's love, then we are in agreement.

The principles of God's government can be summed in a single word: love. In two "words" they would be, love for God, and love for others. In ten, they would be the ten commandments.

These principles were explained to man so that he could know happiness, life and peace. The punishment for breaking these principles is suffering, misery and death.

There is nothing arbitrary involved here. The arbitrariness comes not from using the word "rule" or not, but from the idea that the breaking of the law is punished by some artificial, or imposed, means, rather than as the outworking of principles that are out of harmony with God's character.

Waggoner expresses this point well:

All who sin are treasuring up for themselves wrath. It should be noted that in the judgement God is clear. Men receive only what they have worked for. God is not arbitrary. He has not fixed arbitrary decrees, and declared that whoever violates them shall be visited with vengeance. The punishment that will come upon the wicked is the necessary result of their own choice. God is the only source of life.

His life is peace. Now when men reject him, the only alternative for them is wrath and death. "For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord; they would none of my counsel; they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them." Prov. 1:29-32. Trouble and death are bound up in sin; they are what men choose when they refuse the Lord. (Waggoner on Romans, chapter 2)

This is the point I was wishing to make. If you agree with what Waggoner said here, then we are in agreement.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76648
07/12/06 02:06 AM
07/12/06 02:06 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
So it was not a sin for Cain to kill Able since there was no law against it?

Redfog

According to Paul, even it was a sin (for sin was in the world since Adam's fall) but because there was no law yet (was just given to Moses at Sinai hundreds of years later)it should not be taken into account and would never be if the law never come.

I my self will say yes, if there is no law (Decalogue) you may kill, steal, commit adultery, etc.

In His love

james S

Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76649
07/12/06 02:48 AM
07/12/06 02:48 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote.
…., but if what you are suggesting were true, then God would not be just, but unjust, because how could God execute people after the fact for a law He gave *after* they had committed whatever crimes they were supposedly guilty of? How does this make any sense?

If I cross an intersection in my car, where there isn't any stop sign, can a cop write me a ticked for running a stop sign which is put in some years after I've moved to another state?
Unquote.

What is the punishment of Adam when he sinned in Eden?
What is the punishment for those who sins at the time since Adam’s fall till Moses?
What is the punishment for those who sins at the time of Moses till the cross of Christ?
What is the punishment for those who sins at the time of Christ till the end of the world?

They all have one single punishment: Death, same as Adam who must die for his single transgression. But why should we die, even we did not sin after the similitude of Adam’s transgression? Because the wages of sin is death; a single and universal punishment for transgressors of the law of God.

So, it doesn’t matter God presented his Decalogue right away after Adam’s fall or 1,000 years later or 2,000 years later, it would just justify him for the execution of death against sinners to abolish sin forever from his universe at the end of time.

Remember, when there is no law, there is no transgression and when there is no law, sin is not taken into account, IOW, sin is not imputed, then death should not happened to men, but nevertheless they die still. Whether this is the 1st death or eternal death, it doesn’t matter. Because if the law is not given, Christ wouldn’t come and we remain in our grave forever.

So, to answer these questions, God, if he doesn’t want to be seen as a Dictator and a Tyrant MUST ISSUE his own law, to justify his judgment. Orally spoken laws and commandments could not be taken into judgment, that is the point.

Therefore we see that Christ resurrection was a proof that God is just, and his law is just. Christ is the only “man” in earth history that was justified by the law for his perfect righteousness in obeying the law and God rewards him with life. “Do it and live” comes true; God is not a liar.

On the other hand, all men came under condemnation for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, the law could justify no one; the result: all must die legally.

“All” here of course refers to all men from all times who was created by the Law Giver.

In his love

James S.

Last edited by James Saptenno; 07/12/06 02:54 AM.
Re: Is the Law of God just a set of rules? #76650
10/07/06 05:45 AM
10/07/06 05:45 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I have an interesting sermon about this topic. If anyone is interested, let me know; I can pass on a transcript or an mp3 file. If length is not a problem, I could also post it to be read.

It is about why God gave laws and the errors many Christians make about God's Law. It even uses the heading text of this forum.

Oh Happy Day!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!