I liked your post, John. I was reading your post, and thinking about where Jesus said to His disciples that no longer would He call them servants, but friends, because a servant does not know what his master does, whereas Jesus told them everything (a friend knows what his friend does).

I find it very wonderful of God that He regards us as friends. He doesn't want servitude based on authority, but rather that we love and admire Him for who He is. As His friend, He tells us about Himself and His plans, and we freely choose to take part in His plans.

However, the early disciples were so awestruck by God's tremendous self-sacrificing love that they chose to refer to themselves humbly as a servant of God, in appreciation for His tremendous gift. That's how I see it, anyway.

Satan would take our homage any way he can get it, as you point out. But God only wants, and accepts, freely offered homage, given from a loving heart.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.