HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,641 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Is Fear a Good Thing? #79001
08/30/06 03:21 PM
08/30/06 03:21 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Note:I had originally opened this in this forum, but had a quote from a different forum, so this topic was appropriately moved by the moderator to another forum. I'm reposting this without the quote, in case there are those who would like to comment on this topic.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this would make for an interesting topic.

Is fear (as in being afraid, not respect) of God a good thing? Should our fear of God increase or decrease as we get to know Him more? Does fear impact our relationship with God or our ability to love or trust Him?

What does the record show of how well fear has worked in the past as a motivating factor?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79002
08/30/06 06:35 PM
08/30/06 06:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I am importing these posts from the other forum:

Yes, I believe being afraid of God is appropriate. We should be afraid of continuing in sin because God will punish and destroy us in the lake of fire if we refuse salvation in Jesus.

Revelation
14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive [his] mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2 Peter
2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

SC 21, 22
Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

Fear is fine. Being afraid is right. God isn't somebody you want as an enemy. He's too big and powerful to upset. Although God doesn't get mad or even like sinners do He is, nevertheless, very capable of making a man wish he hadn't rejected His Son. God makes a way better friend and ally. Being on His good side is way more better for Him and us.

Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79003
08/30/06 07:14 PM
08/30/06 07:14 PM
S
Steve Claborn  Offline
Alabama
I am not feeling the "being afraid of God" thing... that is not what he wants.... likewise, fear as a motivator is short lived.... anyone who has more than one child knows that.... Mountain Man I hear what you are saying, and if it works for you, fine, but to me, naw.... you don't want to be around a person or a being that you fear, in fact most things or people that we fear we usually get as far away from them as we can.... consequently what would an eternity be like if you were with or around a being that you feared? Not pleasant....

Where there is life, there is hope....
Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79004
08/31/06 12:22 PM
08/31/06 12:22 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, it was the other post I had in mind. Your post #85574. Would you repost that here as well?

Thanks,

Tom

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79005
08/31/06 04:13 PM
08/31/06 04:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, are you referring to the last paragraph in my post above?

Steve, people who are not walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man should fear God. They have every reason to fear Him. While I'm abiding in Christ I do not fear my heavenly Father. I have no reason to fear Him.

Matthew
10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79006
08/31/06 04:24 PM
08/31/06 04:24 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, thanks. I missed that.

Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79007
08/31/06 07:34 PM
08/31/06 07:34 PM
S
Steve Claborn  Offline
Alabama
Quote:

Tom, are you referring to the last paragraph in my post above?

Steve, people who are not walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man should fear God. They have every reason to fear Him. While I'm abiding in Christ I do not fear my heavenly Father. I have no reason to fear Him.

Matthew
10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

thanks for the response.... I disagree... only people in rebellion may have reason to fear, maybe, people who do not know God should not fear him....

Where there is life, there is hope....
Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79008
08/31/06 08:55 PM
08/31/06 08:55 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think the following from the Bible says it all:

Quote:

1 John 4:18 KJV There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

This Bible verse also tells me that fear is not a good thing.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79009
08/31/06 09:27 PM
08/31/06 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

people who do not know God should not fear him....

If

1.There is no love in fear.
2.To know God is to love Him.

then

3.It is those who don't know God who fear Him.

which agrees with your point.

(Of course we are speaking of "fear" as in "being afraid of," not as in "respect.")

Re: Is Fear a Good Thing? #79010
08/31/06 09:30 PM
08/31/06 09:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Fear is fine. Being afraid is right. God isn't somebody you want as an enemy. He's too big and powerful to upset. Although God doesn't get mad or even like sinners do He is, nevertheless, very capable of making a man wish he hadn't rejected His Son. God makes a way better friend and ally. Being on His good side is way more better for Him and us.

Did you really write this, MM?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!