HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79682
10/02/06 04:28 PM
10/02/06 04:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Bible uses different ways of "chopping up" a human being. Sometimes body, soul, and spirit. Sometimes heart, mind, soul , and strength. The intention of the author in these places is not to say that a human being is composed of these different parts, but that one should love God with all of one's being.

Since man became a living soul, man is a soul, and we can say that a soul can have a spirit (since man has a spirit). The word "spirit" may mean simply "breath" (the man is alive), or something else (like mind, specifically the spiritual mind).

Since a man cannot exist without a body, neither can a soul exist without a body, since the man is a soul.

Anyway I think the "body, soul and spirit" reference is analagous to the "mind, heart, soul, and strength" reference, and that neither is intended as a neat division of human parts that you can add together and get the whole.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79683
10/03/06 01:41 AM
10/03/06 01:41 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Even the animals are referred to as souls.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79684
10/03/06 11:51 PM
10/03/06 11:51 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
So, why did Christ say that we have not to fear for those who could kill the body but could not kill the soul? What we should really fear is Him that could kill both the body and the soul in hell.

Is he promoting the immortality of the soul? The soul die not even you are killed or dead.

In His love

James S

Re: The Immortality of the soul #79685
10/04/06 01:14 AM
10/04/06 01:14 AM
Surrender  Offline
Posting New Member
GA
James S,
Have you ever read Uriah Smith's "Here and Hereafter", particularly the chapter on "The words "soul" and "spirit"".
It can be read here
http://gilead.net/bibletopics/hereandhereafter/hereafterindex.html

or here http://www.biblestudy.org/maturart/hereaftr.html

Based on my study of this:
The body can be killed whether you have your life in Christ or not in Christ. But if your body is killed and you don't have your life in, "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell". Don't fear man who can only destroy the body and not the soul or life, for he that hath the Son hath life (1 John 5:12) Nothing survives death of the body but life after death which comes only in Christ. OSISTM

. . . Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: . . . I come to do thy will, O God. Hebrews 10:5-9
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79686
10/04/06 02:24 AM
10/04/06 02:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
James, Jesus had the resurrection in mind. He was saying not to fear those who can take away our physical, temporal life, but who can take away our eternal, spiritual life (which continues when we are resurrected, if we so choose).

Interestingly, the only one capable of killing the soul is we ourselves.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79687
10/07/06 01:44 AM
10/07/06 01:44 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Not quite good answers, but at least, from what Jesus said here we come to know that there is no such as the soul goes alone to hell when a sinner die, because the body is in the grave, meanwhile Jesus said that a body and soul that goes to heaven. Also we know that soul can die, because the body and soul of the wicked would be destroyed by God in the fire of hell.

In is love

James S

Re: The Immortality of the soul #79688
10/07/06 01:49 AM
10/07/06 01:49 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:

Ezekiel 18:20 KJV The soul that sinneth, it shall die......

This text, of course, is in reference to both the first and second death.

A dead, or sleeping body is a dead, or sleeping soul, in the sense of soul sleeping, just as a living body is a living soul.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Immortality of the soul #79689
10/07/06 05:08 AM
10/07/06 05:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl, I don't see Ezek. as referring to the first death. If you read it in context, it speaks of individual responsibility. The sins of the father are not foisted upon the son. Each one bears the responsibility for their own sin. As far as the first death is concerned, even if you don't sin, you will still die. We die the first death because of Adam's sin, not ours. So the Ezek statement, "The soul that sins, it shall die" doesn't really apply to the first death, right?

Re: The Immortality of the soul #79690
10/10/06 02:17 AM
10/10/06 02:17 AM
J
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
How about this?
In Genesis we see the dead as being gathered to their people. This implies not unconsciousness, but a journey to where the fathers and ancestors of the people had gone, a place of the dead which was not the graves they were buried in. If the dead were unconscious, then this idiomatic expression has no meaning, for to be gathered to one's people who simply don't exist is nonsensical. See Gen. 25:8, 35:39, 49:29-33 for this expression. God told Abraham that he would go to his fathers in peace (Gen. 15:15). But Abraham was not buried with his fathers. His father died in Haran (Gen. 11:32), and Abraham went on his journey that God planned for him. He was buried, not with his fathers, but in a cave given to him by the Hittites for the burial of his wife Sarah. How could Abraham go to his fathers in peace, and be gathered to his people, if he was not buried with them, and they were all in a state on non-existence until the resurrection ? I must conclude from this that the earliest evidence in the Bible is that the dead were in some place of the dead, not in a state of non-existence. Is there another explanation for this ?

In His love

James S.

Re: The Immortality of the soul #79691
10/10/06 03:00 PM
10/10/06 03:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, James, there is another explanation. The expression "gathered unto his people" always and only refers to Abraham and those of his descendants who had not entered, nor were buried, in the Promise Land. This expression is never used elsewhere in the Bible.

The biblical list of names is short - Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob, Leah, Rachel, Aaron, and Moses. Of course, many others died outside the Promised Land but their names are not listed in the context of being "gathered" unto their people.

This expression cannot mean or imply that when someone dies they go somewhere where their deceased loved ones have been living all along. The Bible is clear that after we die we rest in the grave until the resurrection.

Genesis
25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full [of years]; and was gathered to his people.
25:9 And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which [is] before Mamre;
25:10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.

Genesis
35:29 And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, [being] old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.

Genesis
49:29 And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that [is] in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
49:30 In the cave that [is] in the field of Machpelah, which [is] before Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a possession of a buryingplace.
49:31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah.
49:32 The purchase of the field and of the cave that [is] therein [was] from the children of Heth.
49:33 And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people.

Numbers
20:23 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in mount Hor, by the coast of the land of Edom, saying,
20:24 Aaron shall be gathered unto his people: for he shall not enter into the land which I have given unto the children of Israel, because ye rebelled against my word at the water of Meribah.

Deuteronomy
32:48 And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying,
32:49 Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, [unto] mount Nebo, which [is] in the land of Moab, that [is] over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession:
32:50 And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people:
32:51 Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.
32:52 Yet thou shalt see the land before [thee]; but thou shalt not go thither unto the land which I give the children of Israel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!