HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82449
12/13/06 04:35 AM
12/13/06 04:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What you and I say here are the pure opposites. I say first we are covered with the grace of God, you say we first die to self and then are covered by the grace of God.

This is hitting the nail on the head.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82463
12/13/06 04:19 PM
12/13/06 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: What you and I say here are the pure opposites. I say first we are covered with the grace of God, you say we first die to self and then are covered by the grace of God.

MM: I used the expression “robe of righteousness” not the “grace of God”. Do you see a difference?

TV: The order of events. Is it applied first or only after some level of achivement.

MM: Which one? Grace? Or, the robe of Christ’s righteousness? I believe God made the first move by graciously granting us a period of probation to accept Jesus as our personal Saviour. Once we die to self and experience the miracle of rebirth God covers us with the robe of Christ’s righteousness.

COL 312
By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {COL 311.4}

TE: “What you and I say here are the pure opposites. I say first we are covered with the grace of God, you say we first die to self and then are covered by the grace of God.” This is hitting the nail on the head.

MM: Tom, in light of the COL 312 quote posted above, do you agree with the following insight – “God made the first move by graciously granting us a period of probation to accept Jesus as our personal Saviour. Once we die to self and experience the miracle of rebirth God covers us with the robe of Christ’s righteousness.”

Or, do you believe God covers people with Jesus’ justifying robe of righteousness before they die to self, before the “heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him”?

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82474
12/13/06 07:40 PM
12/13/06 07:40 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, the following is in answer to your question to me.

When a person is brought into harmony with Christ, the person repents of that which they are aware of. It's no different than a reconciliation between two people.

Let's say a brother has wronged me, and for years he's angry at me, and does mean things. Then one day he comes to his senses, and he asks me for forgiveness. He says he's so sorry about whatever it was that first led to our disagreement, and he starts to mention some mean things he's done. I can see from his tone and mannerisms that's he's sincerely. He's really broke up, he's sorry, and wants to be reconciled.

What's my reaction? Do I say, "I'm not going to forgive you until you remember and confess every wrong thing you've done against me?"

Consider the father in the story of the prodigal son. The son had rehearsed a story, about how he wasn't worthy to return and wanted to come back as a servant, but the father didn't even let him say his confession. He could see his son had returned, and that's what he cared about.

When a person is converted, his heart changes. The heart of stone is replaced with a heart of flesh. He begins to see things from a new perspective, as God see things. But this is just the beginning of the journey. God doesn't rush to bring all the bad things to memory, just like we wouldn't do so if someone were asking us forgiveness.

As far as God is concerned, there is no need for us to confess anything, just as the prodigal son's father did not require confession. The confession is for our sake, not God's. He's already at peace with us, and always has been. He so loved us He gave us His Son. It is we who need to be reconciled to Him.

So God does what is necessary to bring *us* to repentance, to bring us into harmony with Him. If there is sin that needs to be confessed, because without being forgiven of it we cannot be forgiven and set right with Him, that God will bring that to our attention. But everything He does is for our benefit, for the sole purpose of setting us right. Then the healing starts.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82514
12/14/06 05:03 PM
12/14/06 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom. I think we both agree that God does not remind us of every sin we committed before we are born again. I am glad we can agree on this point. Indeed, God will do whatever it takes to influence and motivate us to sender ourselves to Jesus, to live for Him wholeheartedly. Thank you, Jesus!

Unfortunately, though, we do not agree on whether or not God can clothe us with Jesus' robe of justification and righteousness if we are still practicing one or more of the sinful habits we cultivated before we embarked upon the long, patient, protracted process of conversion.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82523
12/14/06 07:45 PM
12/14/06 07:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Unfortunately, though, we do not agree on whether or not God can clothe us with Jesus' robe of justification and righteousness if we are still practicing one or more of the sinful habits we cultivated before we embarked upon the long, patient, protracted process of conversion.

But you yourself don't agree with what you are saying. You pointed out that God may wink at certain sinful habits. So one version of you agrees with me. I'm sorry the other version of you doesn't agree with the one that agrees with me.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82579
12/15/06 03:34 PM
12/15/06 03:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If there is sin that needs to be confessed, because without being forgiven of it we cannot be forgiven and set right with Him, that God will bring that to our attention.

MM: Of all the sinful habits we cultivated, by acting them out repeatedly, over and over again, which ones must be revealed, confessed, and forsaken BEFORE we can be set right with God?

TE: But you yourself don't agree with what you are saying. You pointed out that God may wink at certain sinful habits. So one version of you agrees with me. I'm sorry the other version of you doesn't agree with the one that agrees with me.

MM: Yes, there are extenuating circumstances, which God takes into consideration, that has, from time to time, led Him not to reveal to certain people specific cultivated sinful habits. In some cases He revealed them to these people after they were born again, and in other cases He never did get around to it before they died.

But these cases are the exception, not the rule. Since 1844, with the advent of the SDA church and the worldwide proclamation of the truth, these cases are occurring less and less often. God is making fewer and fewer exceptions, especially in well-informed nations like America. During the loud dry of the latter rain there will be no exceptions.

Can we at least agree that God will clothe no one with the robe of Jesus’ justifying righteousness while they are practicing a known sinful habit?

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82580
12/15/06 03:41 PM
12/15/06 03:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If there is sin that needs to be confessed, because without being forgiven of it we cannot be forgiven and set right with Him, that God will bring that to our attention.

MM: Of all the sinful habits we cultivated, by acting them out repeatedly, over and over again, which ones must be revealed, confessed, and forsaken BEFORE we can be set right with God?

The ones which God reveals to us. Or, to use your language, the ones God doesn't wink at.

TE: But you yourself don't agree with what you are saying. You pointed out that God may wink at certain sinful habits. So one version of you agrees with me. I'm sorry the other version of you doesn't agree with the one that agrees with me.

MM: Yes, there are extenuating circumstances, which God takes into consideration, that has, from time to time, led Him not to reveal to certain people specific cultivated sinful habits. In some cases He revealed them to these people after they were born again, and in other cases He never did get around to it before they died.

Which agrees with what I wrote, and not with what you wrote, which is that every sinful habit had to be brought to mind committed from birth, and confessed. This was wrong.

But these cases are the exception, not the rule. Since 1844, with the advent of the SDA church and the worldwide proclamation of the truth, these cases are occurring less and less often. God is making fewer and fewer exceptions, especially in well-informed nations like America. During the loud dry of the latter rain there will be no exceptions.

Can we at least agree that God will clothe no one with the robe of Jesus’ justifying righteousness while they are practicing a known sinful habit?

Let's agree first that you were wrong to say that every sinful habit from birth must be revealed and confessed before one can be converted.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82629
12/16/06 09:09 PM
12/16/06 09:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

TE: The ones which God reveals to us. Or, to use your language, the ones God doesn't wink at.

MM: Tom, I wish you would stop trying to make it look like I believe the same way you do in this regard. I do not believe God winks at smoking and drinking in the same way you do. We are in no way on the same page. I qualified what I meant by explaining there may be extenuating circumstances, but they do not apply to people attending SDA evangelistic meetings in well-informed nations like America. Please acknowledge our differences, instead of trying to make it look like we are on the same page. Thank you.
……………………………….

Back to the topic at hand: I do not believe God will clothe anyone with the robe of Jesus' justifying righteousness while they are practicing known sins. A prerequisite of justification by faith is not practicing known sins.

Am I the only who believes this way?

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82692
12/18/06 02:31 AM
12/18/06 02:31 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

TE: The ones which God reveals to us. Or, to use your language, the ones God doesn't wink at.

MM: Tom, I wish you would stop trying to make it look like I believe the same way you do in this regard. I do not believe God winks at smoking and drinking in the same way you do. We are in no way on the same page. I qualified what I meant by explaining there may be extenuating circumstances, but they do not apply to people attending SDA evangelistic meetings in well-informed nations like America. Please acknowledge our differences, instead of trying to make it look like we are on the same page. Thank you.

Please acknowledge that what you said was wrong. You said that God has to reveal every sinful habit and that sinful habit must be confessed before a person is converted. This is wrong. The moment you opened up exceptions you made this clear. You should admit your error.

I'm not trying to make it appear that we believe the same. There are profound differences in almost every point we hold, due to a profound difference in how we perceive God to be.

Back to the topic at hand: I do not believe God will clothe anyone with the robe of Jesus' justifying righteousness while they are practicing known sins. A prerequisite of justification by faith is not practicing known sins.

Am I the only who believes this way?

This is a different topic. You're pretty much quoting straight from the Spirit of Prophecy on this one. When you do that, people will agree with you. It's when you venture out, and introduce ideas that are not found in her writings or Scripture (such as the idea that every sinful habit must be revealed and confessed before one can be converted) that people disagree with you.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82723
12/18/06 05:23 PM
12/18/06 05:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Please acknowledge that what you said was wrong.

MM: It is not wrong. God has to reveal every sinful habit and every sinful habit must be confessed and crucified before a person can experience the miracle of rebirth.

I do not believe God winks at smoking and drinking in the same way you do. I qualified what I meant. The winking principle never did apply to drinking. And it does not apply to smoking for people attending SDA evangelistic meetings in well-informed nations like America.

Acts
17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

God no longer winks at smoking and drinking.

MM: I do not believe God will clothe anyone with the robe of Jesus' justifying righteousness while they are practicing known sins. A prerequisite of justification by faith is not practicing known sins.

TE: You're pretty much quoting straight from the Spirit of Prophecy on this one. When you do that, people will agree with you.

MM: Hopefully.

TE: It's when you venture out, and introduce ideas that are not found in her writings or Scripture (such as the idea that every sinful habit must be revealed and confessed before one can be converted) that people disagree with you.

MM: Fortunately not everyone disagrees. They read inspired testimonies like the following quotes and conclude, as I have, that God does not wait to reveal certain sinful habits until sometime after we are born again.

MH 510
One evil habit, if not firmly resisted, will strengthen into chains of steel, binding the whole man. {MH 509.4}

PP 452
The removal of one safeguard from the conscience, the indulgence of one evil habit, one neglect of the high claims of duty, breaks down the defenses of the soul and opens the way for Satan to come in and lead us astray. {PP 452.2}

CS 334
In order to be saved, she must overcome all those peculiar, evil traits, and imitate the character of her divine Lord, seeking opportunity to do others good, loving others as Christ has loved us. {CS 334.1}

2T 73
They were not told the sin of yielding to the control of these evil traits; therefore sin does not appear to them so exceedingly sinful. {2T 73.1}

5T 175
Pride, ambition, deceit, hatred, selfishness, must be cleansed from the heart. With many these evil traits are partially subdued, but not thoroughly uprooted from the heart. Under favorable circumstances they spring up anew and ripen into rebellion against God. Here lies a terrible danger. To spare any sin is to cherish a foe that only awaits an unguarded moment to cause our ruin. {5T 174.3}

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!