HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82738
12/18/06 07:29 PM
12/18/06 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
TE: Please acknowledge that what you said was wrong.

MM: It is not wrong. God has to reveal every sinful habit and every sinful habit must be confessed and crucified before a person can experience the miracle of rebirth.

I do not believe God winks at smoking and drinking in the same way you do. I qualified what I meant. The winking principle never did apply to drinking. And it does not apply to smoking for people attending SDA evangelistic meetings in well-informed nations like America.

Ok, let's try this again. You are now saying that drinking does not apply? So no person who drinks moderately, say has a glass of red win with supper, will be saved? (i.e. go to heaven) Regarding smoking, let's take prospective SDA's who go to evangelistic meetings off the table and just deal with John Q. Public who goes to a Billy Graham crusade and gives his life to Christ. Can such a person be born again while continuing to smoke?

Regarding the quotes, I've not met anyone ever who takes the position you do that God reveals every sinful habit before we are born again, nor have I met anyone who understand Ellen White to be saying that. Apparently you don't either, because you make some exceptions, such as smoking for those who don't attend SDA evangelistic meetings. (I'm not sure where you stand on the drinking).

Martin Luther died a beer drinker. Will he be in heaven?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82807
12/19/06 10:23 AM
12/19/06 10:23 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Martin Luther would probably had died much younger had he not drunk beer as living in cities and having access to fresh water are two concepts that rarely coexisted at that time.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: vastergotland] #82835
12/19/06 07:38 PM
12/19/06 07:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: So no person who drinks moderately, say has a glass of red win with supper, will be saved? (i.e. go to heaven)

MM: The Bible forbids drinking wine. Not once in the Bible did God wink at drinking wine or strong drink. A Christian who insists that God condons moderate drinking is self-deceived. Will they be rewarded with eternal life when Jesus returns?

1 Corinthians
6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

…………………..

By the way, Tom, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you approve of drinking wine moderately.

………………….

TE: Martin Luther died a beer drinker. Will he be in heaven?

MM: William Miller rejected the Sabbath, and God placed him in an early grave to prevent him from influencing others against the Sabbath. Will he be in heaven?

My point is, exceptions to the rule are not the rule. Luther’s ticket to heaven, in spite of his beer drinking, is not an argument in favor of drinking beer. Nor is it proof that conversions in 2006 happen in spite of drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82841
12/19/06 08:07 PM
12/19/06 08:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: So no person who drinks moderately, say has a glass of red win with supper, will be saved? (i.e. go to heaven)

MM: The Bible forbids drinking wine. Not once in the Bible did God wink at drinking wine or strong drink. A Christian who insists that God condons moderate drinking is self-deceived. Will they be rewarded with eternal life when Jesus returns?

So you believe that no person who drinks a glass of wine with their supper will be saved? Correct? This is what you seem to be saying. I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

How about those who take wine as a sacrament? Are they all lost as well?

1 Corinthians
6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

…………………..

By the way, Tom, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you approve of drinking wine moderately.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I also mentioned smoking. Do you think I approve of that as well?

………………….

TE: Martin Luther died a beer drinker. Will he be in heaven?

MM: William Miller rejected the Sabbath, and God placed him in an early grave to prevent him from influencing others against the Sabbath. Will he be in heaven?

My point is, exceptions to the rule are not the rule. Luther’s ticket to heaven, in spite of his beer drinking, is not an argument in favor of drinking beer. Nor is it proof that conversions in 2006 happen in spite of drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes.

I'm not arguing in favor of drinking beer or smoking cigarettes. I am arguing against your ideas. I am using these examples to demonstrate that your statement was wrong. You yourself are arguing against your own statement, because the moment you allow exceptions to the rule, such as smoking and drinking, you are recognizing that your statement is false.

Here's why your statement is wrong. You stated that before a person can be converted, the Holy Spirit most reveal every sinful habit, and they must all be confessed. This is without exception. The moment you provide exceptions, you demonstrate that your statement is wrong. You, like all the rest of us, believe that the Holy Spirit reveals *some* sinful habits, and doesn't reveal others (they are winked at, to use your language).

But for some reason you seem unwilling to recognize that what you originally said was wrong.

By the way, the year 2006 is irrelevant. If the Holy Spirit must reveal all sinful habits before a person can be converted in 2006, then He must do so in every other year as well. The principles of conversion have not changed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Tom] #82847
12/19/06 08:35 PM
12/19/06 08:35 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I read that anicent near eastern language sceince suggests that "strong drink" might be refering to beer rather than wine. Futhermore, I would like to point out that the bible stating that drunkards wont be inside of heaven doesnt nessessarily mean that all drinking of alcoholic beverage is forbiden since it obviously only is an excessive drinking of alcohol over an extended period of time that a drunkard make.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: vastergotland] #82891
12/20/06 06:18 PM
12/20/06 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: So you believe that no person who drinks a glass of wine with their supper will be saved? Correct? This is what you seem to be saying. I want to make sure I understand you correctly. How about those who take wine as a sacrament? Are they all lost as well?

MM: God forbids wine drinking. He does not condone moderate wine drinking. Jesus refused to allow something fermented to touch His lips, even when it would have helped to deaden the pain of crucifixion. For someone who believes Jesus is our example in all things, I am surprised you are defending drinking wine. People in well-informed nations like America who insist moderate wine drinking is acceptable with God are self-deceived. Whether they will be lost or saved is up to God. He is the judge, not you or me.

………………………

What do the following passages teach us about wine drinking?

1 Corinthians

Galatians

………………………

MM: By the way, Tom, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you approve of drinking wine moderately.

TE: How did you arrive at this conclusion? I also mentioned smoking. Do you think I approve of that as well?

MM: You didn’t answer my question. Besides, it wasn’t a conclusion. It is a question. Also, in light of what Thomas just posted (82847), do you agree with him?

……………………….

TE: You, like all the rest of us, believe that the Holy Spirit reveals *some* sinful habits, and doesn't reveal others (they are winked at, to use your language).

MM: Let’s look at from this perspective. Jesus said, in no uncertain terms, that baptism is a requisite rite to inherit eternal life. And yet He told the thief on the cross that he would be in heaven. In the same way, no one can experience rebirth without first accepting Jesus as their personal Saviour. And yet unknown numbers of “Gentiles” who never named the name of Jesus will be in heaven. How can God say one thing and do another?

…………………………..

TE: By the way, the year 2006 is irrelevant. If the Holy Spirit must reveal all sinful habits before a person can be converted in 2006, then He must do so in every other year as well. The principles of conversion have not changed.

MM: I believe why certain people will be in heaven depends on different factors. I mentioned certain extenuating circumstances above. Another one relates to the loud cry of the latter rain. There will come a time when extenuating circumstances will not allow anyone to enter heaven. The reason I mentioned 2006 is because there are certain extenuating circumstances that no longer apply to people living in well-informed nations like America, i.e., smoking and drinking.

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82901
12/20/06 10:15 PM
12/20/06 10:15 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
What do the following passages teach us about wine drinking?

1 Corinthians

Galatians
Being in the habbit of geting drunk is bad for your salvation is what we learn from this text. Not sure what precisely it teaches about the drinking of wine... Unless you are trying to say that it is wrong to get drunk on wine while beer or spirits is quite ok.

Galatians 2

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: vastergotland] #82917
12/21/06 03:17 PM
12/21/06 03:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, are you of the opinion that God condones moderate wine drinking? that it's okay so long as one doesn't get drunk?

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: Mountain Man] #82919
12/21/06 03:29 PM
12/21/06 03:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I am of the oppinion that the texts provided so far would support such a conclusion, yes.

Galatians 2

Re: Justification by Faith prerequisites [Re: vastergotland] #82927
12/21/06 05:37 PM
12/21/06 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, thank you for being honest about it. More and more SDAs are coming to the same conclusion.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!