HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,403 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: II Cor 3 #8429
12/27/01 06:17 PM
12/27/01 06:17 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
My understanding is that Jesus came not to destroy the law or the prophets, but to fulfill the law and the prophets.

What was it that Jesus told the rich young ruler when he asked what he needed to do to inherit eternal life?

The law points to Christ. If I throw out the law, I throw out the map. I am saved by faith, but that faith MUST change my life, the way I live, in order to be real. I cannot and will not be saved by keeping the law, but I keep the law because I love my Lord and want to do as He asks.

Sometimes we must look not at the result, but at the motivation to discover whether it is legalism or not.

Jesus is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. He never changes, why would He change the rules on us? I'm not sure about this old covenant/new covenant thing, but I know that my God is always the same. There is nothing confusing about following Jesus, there is nothing confusing about His law or His covenant. He has asked that I keep His commandments and I will.

Re: II Cor 3 #8430
08/25/02 03:28 AM
08/25/02 03:28 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK

Christ abolished the law in Him and that is a fact

quote: James Saptenno ~ December 12, 2001 10:44 AM

Brother David, the law is not lessened in it’s important, it is ABOLISHED and TAKEN AWAY for Christ believers. There is no more law for those who are "in Christ" to obey ... ...

Who needs a law anymore?

quote: James Saptenno ~ December 12, 2001 10:47 AM
One of the misconceptions that some people have is that "the law" did not exist until Mt Sinia, and then it was abolished and ceased to exist when Christ died on the cross.

The problem with this belief, besides the lack of Biblical support, is that if it were true, then Adam and Eve could not have sinned; for sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4) and where no law is, there is no transgression. (Romans 4:15)

Neither could anyone possibly sin since the time of Christ's death on the cross, because the law was done away with, and where there is no law, there is no transgression.

Since the Bible undeniably states that sin cannot exist without the law, then that means there is no need for a Saviour to save us from sin, because sin cannot be without the law.

Therefore, Christ died for nothing, and we have no need of Him.

That is one question that those who believe this way have been unable to answer:
How can there be sin when there was no law?

Re: II Cor 3 #8431
08/25/02 05:57 PM
08/25/02 05:57 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK

The law was given with the intention that the law keepers (Israel) might be redeemed from the death through their perfect obedience and rewarded with life eternal.

quote: James Saptenno ~ December 13, 2001 03:49 PM
This false doctrine is one that I was unaware of until recently; that there are those who claim that the Bible teaches that good behaviour now attones for past sins.

And much of James arguments are based upon this faulty premise. And discussing the other points he tries to make is very difficult, because they are made with the understanding that both sides agree and believe that good behaviour can atone for sin. Since this is a key component of the foundation of many of his arguments, this issue would need to be addressed very early on.

Nowhere in the Bible does it teach that better behaviour (or even perfect behaviour) atones and redeems us from past sins.

In fact, the Bible clearly teaches that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), and that only a life can pay for sin. That life could either be the sinner's life, or that of the Saviour's.

Blood is the requirement for atonement:

For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.

Leviticus 17:11
Of course, it is this very belief (that living perfectly atones for the sins of the past) that necessitates their belief that God is powerless to change the life of the sinner, so that the sinner can now live in harmony with God's law.

For if a sinner could live righteously, even if by the power of God, then they must believe that it is this righteous life that is the atonement for the sinner, instead of Christ's death being the atonement.

Of course, they cannot claim that God is powerless to change the sinner, so they instead claim the law is null and void.

But, of course, if there is no law, then neither is there any sin, and hence no need for a Saviour; for why would we need to be saved from nonexistant sin?! (Romans 4:15; 1 John 3:4)

Such beliefs are not in agreement with the Word of God.

Re: II Cor 3 #8432
08/31/02 11:42 AM
08/31/02 11:42 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
DenBorg.

Nice to hear you again and continue with this thread. I think since no one continue with this topic then they may all agree with my view.

I will answer your statement that I quote below:

Quote:

The problem with this belief, besides the lack of Biblical support, is that if it were true, then Adam and Eve could not have sinned; for sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4) and where no law is, there is no transgression. (Romans 4:15)

Neither could anyone possibly sin since the time of Christ's death on the cross, because the law was done away with, and where there is no law, there is no transgression.

Since the Bible undeniably states that sin cannot exist without the law, then that means there is no need for a Saviour to save us from sin, because sin cannot be without the law.

Therefore, Christ died for nothing, and we have no need of Him.

That is one question that those who believe this way have been unable to answer:
How can there be sin when there was no law?

- - - -
But, of course, if there is no law, then neither is there any sin, and hence no need for a Saviour; for why would we need to be saved from nonexistant sin?! (Romans 4:15; 1 John 3:4)

Such beliefs are not in agreement with the Word of God.

Unquote.

I saw that you think without the LAW there would be no sin because sin is the transgression of the law, and since there is no sin, Christ didn’t need to come and die to redeem us but since He did come, then He died in vain.

This reasoning is very normal but unfortunately it shows your lack of understanding the bible.

Read this verse carefully and think hard, hopefully you may see your error.

Romans 5:12-14.
12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned-- 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.

Before I comment on this verse I want to hear from you what do you think about it?

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8433
08/31/02 01:24 PM
08/31/02 01:24 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by James Saptenno:
DenBorg.

Nice to hear you again and continue with this thread. I think since no one continue with this topic then they may all agree with my view.

James S.

James I believe no one has continued with this topic because it has been forgotten....not because anyone agrees with your view. I beleive there have been many topics where they have posted truth against this false doctrine.

DenBorg thank you for posting the truth.

Re: II Cor 3 #8434
09/07/02 06:55 AM
09/07/02 06:55 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Avalee.

Surely against what you believe and had been taught, my view is a false doctrine.

But against the bile teaching, it is the gospel of Christ.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8435
09/07/02 10:52 AM
09/07/02 10:52 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
James,

Couldn't the same thing also be said of you?

Surely against what you believe and had been taught, our view is a false doctrine.

But against the Bible teaching, it is the gospel of Christ.

Saul of Tarsus truly thought the Christian view was false doctrine until his experience on the road to Damascus from which exited Saul of Tarsus and entered the Apostle Paul.

Re: II Cor 3 #8436
10/21/02 03:51 AM
10/21/02 03:51 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Denborgh.

If sin is “just” a transgression of the law, and that the law is the Ten Commandments, how could Adam broke any one of the law in the 10 Cs? He broke the law “don’t eat” and this is not mentioned in the 10 Cs.

“14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.”

There are a dual information in this verse. It may say that death reigned over those who did not break any law of the Ten Commandments as did Adam (a proof that in Eden there is no law, no 10 Cs), it may also say that death reigned over those who did not sin by breaking a command because for them there is no law, as did Adam, for him there is no 10 Cs, what is a command for him that he transgressed was only “don’t eat.”

The first means that death reigns over those who has not the chance to keep the law (10 Cs) and transgress it, this include those Gentiles who has never hear the law, babes and little children’s.

How about Adam’s descendants till Moses, were they includes in the above? They may be includes, because even though they knew the law requirements orally spoken to them, but breaking it has no claims over them, since at their time there is no (legal) law that might judge and condemn them. “If there is no law, there is no transgression”, and if they transgress what God spoke to them, their sin is not imputed or taken into account.

But nevertheless, they all die! Why? Not because this death is the wages of sin, since there is no law and so there is no wages of sin. So, why they all die? Merely it was because all were cut off from the Source of Life.

The second is for those who were not under the law, this includes the Gentiles that have not the law, the Jews and Adam’s descendant before Sinai, and those who believe that Christ has fulfilled the law and released them from being under the law, under the obligation to keep and obey the law (10 cs).

Both give the same proof that there is no law (legal) before Sinai. The law just came in effect and legally stands as a standard of righteousness and judgment for the Jews to whom the law was given, since Sinai. From here on; sin is the transgression of the law, and the wages of sin is death.

This give a broader indication, that God judgment at the end of time is not based on the 10 Commandments, since there were many who has not the law and were not under the law. There is “some thing else” as a standard of judgment, and according to me, this judgment is based on the principle of heaven since there are we going to go. Does the aspirant for heaven has the principle of heaven in their heart or not, are they FIT for heaven or not.

Thus, God’s universal judgment I believe is based on deeds as according to heaven principle, which is love that seeks no self in it.

The Gentile’s who have not the law and never hear the law or the gospel, were judge by this deeds, since many will have this deeds that conforms to the principle of heaven. So are those who were not under the law, they have these deeds as fruit of the Spirit.

In His love

James S.

Re: II Cor 3 #8437
10/22/02 03:45 AM
10/22/02 03:45 AM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I believe the 10 commandments can be summarized as:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love thy neighbour as thyself."

If this is how it is summarized, then I could definitely see that Adam broke that commandment because he loved Eve more than God. The sin was not eating the fruit exactly, the sin was in putting another person/thing before God in his life. He was forewarned of the consequences and was commanded to not eat the fruit of that tree, and he contrarily chose to eat it anyway. That breaks a commandment of God and the first 4 commandments as given to Moses.

Re: II Cor 3 #8438
10/22/02 01:01 PM
10/22/02 01:01 PM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
sarah.

Then we do agree that what is transgressed at eden is not the Ten Commandment but the principle of heaven, LOVE that was transgressed since Adam love himself more then his love to God.

But God could not condemn him if there is no legal law, that's why he give the Ten Commandments hundreds years later to have the legal right to judge man for their sins.

This is just a proof that there is no such a legal law of the Ten Commandments in Eden, but its principle was there since it is based on the nature of God, his love that seeks no self.

In His love

James S

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!