HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law #84677
02/01/07 12:59 AM
02/01/07 12:59 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Quote:
Jeremiah called their attention repeatedly to the counsels given in Deuteronomy. More than any other of the prophets, he emphasized the teachings of the Mosaic law and showed how these might bring the highest spiritual blessing to the nation and to every individual heart. "Ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein," he pleaded, "and ye shall find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16. {PK 411.1}

I thought I’d give my testimony of the deep appreciation I have for the Law of Moses – ceremonial, civil and the ten Words of God. Few Adventists seem to view it for the treasure that it is. We honour the Ten Commandments but few carefully study the rest of the Mosaic books that expound their principles. Few meditate on it like David, exhort it like the prophets and live it like the ancient devout. But it is the same law, the same principles that Christ delighted in and were written on his heart.

When I read Deuteronomy, and passages like Lev 19 and the chapters following Ex 20, I’m so impressed by the wisdom, justice and mercy contained in the statutes God gave Israel. If we want the character and law of God to be written on our heart as it was on Christ’s some of the best sources to study are the passages that expound and apply it. No doubt this scripture was a main resource for Christ as a child and young man.

It was Christ's mission to restore honour to the Law. "He shall magnify the law and make it honourable". It wasn't that the law was dishonourable but that it was dishonoured. Perhaps the greatest single contribution of Ellen White was her deep understanding of the glory and immutability of the law and character of God.

The civil laws of Israel were adapted to a theocracy. Behind them and under girding them are the Ten Commandments. If we take the context into account, they are an exhaustless resource in helping us today to apply those principles.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #84681
02/01/07 02:52 PM
02/01/07 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I confess, Mark, that I haven't spent a lot of time over the last few years studying the 613 Mosaic Laws. Can you share a few examples from it that has been a source of blessing for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitzvah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_mitzvot

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Mountain Man] #84765
02/03/07 04:28 AM
02/03/07 04:28 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello Mark,

I share your interest and wonder in these oft-neglected statutes and judgments. This morning's study brought me to Ruth, whose story is a moving example of the righteousness and mercy demonstrated by those who honour the law. Naomi, Ruth, Boaz. Here we witness the providence of God when His people are subject to the Law, even in the face of tragedy and loss. The individual precepts which comprise the Decalogue were designed with such wisdom as to accomodate every emergency and circumstance of the brethren.

Neglect and ignorance of these same laws is the reason for the selfish lives of modern Christians. Though we are not civily governed by a theocracy, these spiritual principles will be voluntarily applied by God's people. Today there is no method of enforcement, as there was in ancient Israel. Rather, the voluntary subjection of the mind to Christ. The laws will be written on the fleshy tables of the heart.

I believe the majority of these laws in principle apply to us today and that we will be held to account.

Ken LeBrun has written a Bible and Spirit of Prophecy booklet entitled 'The Elijah People and the Lost Law', published by Teach Services. It is not a popular message, as I believe a mere 144,000 will espouse and cherish the spirit of faithful obedience and sacrifice. They will be called the restorers of the breach.

Thank you for the inspiring message.

Gordon

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: gordonb1] #84785
02/03/07 03:04 PM
02/03/07 03:04 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm glad that resonates with you Gordon, and with the Hulquists - the owners of Teach Services. I have lost touch with them, but I know they've done a good work over the years. I was a close friend of Erie Anne Hulquist's mother Ila Wood (Crawford) who lived in Kingston Ontario, close to me, most of her life but was originally from the Maritimes.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #84786
02/03/07 03:22 PM
02/03/07 03:22 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
MM, I don't want to limit your study of the Mosaic Law in any way by pointing to one particular passage, but since you asked I'll give you one of my favourites. This passage below was at the core of Christ's teaching but it's been tarnished by subsequent misapplications. If we would study these and other passages more in their contexts we could have a part in the work of Christ to magnify the law once again, and make in honourable in the hearts of the noble-minded of our day:
Quote:

19:15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: [but] in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down [as] a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I [am] the LORD.
19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #84787
02/03/07 03:30 PM
02/03/07 03:30 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
By the way, that's from Lev 19.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #84788
02/03/07 03:33 PM
02/03/07 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Mark. It's refreshing and encouraging to know that such things were taught in the OT. It's too bad so many Jews missed it. It is also too bad it is lost upon so many of us today. My unceasing prayer is that I will be like Jesus in every way, which, of course, means knowing the way, the details. Again, thank you for sharing this thread. I look forward to studying it more.

2 Timothy
2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Mountain Man] #84799
02/03/07 10:01 PM
02/03/07 10:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
How is this tarnished by its applications in christian history?

19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: vastergotland] #84804
02/04/07 12:42 AM
02/04/07 12:42 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tomas, the three verses that precede the one you quoted give a more complete picture and help explain what Christ had in mind when he said "love your neighbour as yourself." Of course his parable of the Good Samaritan fills in the picture as well.

One main area where this command of the Mosaic law has been misapplied is in using it as an excuse to condone sin. A church that loves sin will paint the loving reproofs of those who resist the tide of evil as not good neighbours, but look at verse 17.
Quote:

...thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

One of the main benefits of the study of the Mosaic Law is that it will restore our sense of balance. Its study would help cure a worldly view of love that displaces the abiding principles of the word with mere sentimintality on the one hand, and a sharply critical and judgmental attitude on the other. It's often those who are the most ready to condone sin in a brother who are also the most judgmental of those who are genuinely trying to help him.

Witness for example the case of the woman caught in adultery and how this might have played out differently. If the Pharisees who were attempting to trap Christ had applied these few verses of the Mosaic law in their own neighbourhood and church – ‘Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: [but] in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour,’ - they would have held the men accountable first who were guilty of committing the greater sin.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #84816
02/04/07 04:42 AM
02/04/07 04:42 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
In fact it may be said that without the Mosaic law, we cannot have a balanced understanding of the Scriptures. Mary applied the law of Moses to her newborn Son.

"And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord (Luke 2:22)

Jesus came to fulfil this law (Matthew 5:18).

How could Jesus fulfil this Law without knowing its completeness?

How can we?

"Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city" Revelation 22:14

How could a people do these commandments without knowing them?

To quote scripture or precept without foundation in the law would be quoting scripture out of context, as Mark has illustrated. This is a fruitful lesson and an encouragement to study the Word, Our Great Treasure House.

"Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law" Psalm 119:18

Gordon

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!