HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84766
02/03/07 05:10 AM
02/03/07 05:10 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What about the prophecy concerning Judas Iscariot?

What about the prophecy that Peter would deny Christ?

Were these conditional prophecies? If it were not a conditional prophecy, then why would Christ give Judas every opportunity to not go ahead with his plans of betrayal, by telling him what he was going to do, knowing the choice Judas would make?

Why indeed. Good question, Daryl. Was it just a show? Or did Jesus really try to lead Judas to repent?

Quote:
But Judas was not yet wholly hardened. Even after he had twice pledged himself to betray the Saviour, there was opportunity for repentance. At the Passover supper Jesus proved His divinity by revealing the traitor's purpose. He tenderly included Judas in the ministry to the disciples. But the last appeal of love was unheeded. Then the case of Judas was decided, and the feet that Jesus had washed went forth to the betrayer's work. {DA 720.3}

So Judas could have repented. In that case, the prophecy could have been fulfilled in some other way. God has many ways to fulfill prophecy. For example:

Quote:
Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out. (Luke 19:38-40)

Regarding Peter, Jesus knew Peter's heart. He knew he would deny him for that reason. Jesus prayed for Peter, and when Peter looked at Him, he read only pity and compassion, which broke his heart and led to repent. What a wonderful Savior!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84767
02/03/07 05:20 AM
02/03/07 05:20 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, none of the prophecies in the Revelation are conditional. The example you cited is a conditional promise, not an unconditional prophecy. There are plenty of promises and prophecies in the Revelation. Which prophecy do you think is conditional?

MM, any conditional prophesies I cite you would define as "promises," so this discussion is pointless, isn't it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84791
02/03/07 03:56 PM
02/03/07 03:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: MM, any conditional prophesies I cite you would define as "promises," so this discussion is pointless, isn't it?

MM: No. You're not studying with just me, you're studying with all of the members on MSDAOL. For sake of discussion, please share your opinion as to whether or not the following prophecies will be fulfilled exactly as foretold. In other words, is there any part of it that might not be fulfilled in the way the SDA church interprets it?

Revelation
13:11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
13:12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
13:13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
13:14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84798
02/03/07 09:55 PM
02/03/07 09:55 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
IMO, the identity of the lamblike beast, the beast and the image of the beast would be very much conditional.
The identity of the mark of the beast is likely conditional.

Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #84801
02/03/07 10:34 PM
02/03/07 10:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, does your opinion reflect what the SDA church teaches about it? Or, does the SDA church hold a different view of it? If so, what is it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84802
02/03/07 11:17 PM
02/03/07 11:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The incompatible part has to do with the idea that the future is determined yet we as free moral agents have not only the desire but the ability to do different things.

It seems to me that there are three kinds of prophecies:
1) Prophecies in which God determines that certain things will happen – these prophecies don’t involve the human will and they will be fulfilled. A classical example are the prophecies related to the plan of salvation.
2) Prophecies in which God predicts that certain things will happen – they involve the human will, but they will be fulfilled. Their purpose is to show God’s foreknowledge. God is revealing what will happen, so that, when it happens, people may believe. Judas (John 13:19) is a classical example.
3) Prophecies in which God predicts certain things that may happen – they involve the human will, and may be fulfilled or not, depending on the human response. Jonah is a classical example. So are the prophecies predicting a golden age for Israel.

Please note that in the second case the prophecy doesn’t determine that things will happen in a certain way – it just reveals that things will happen in a certain way. The future is not determined, just predicted.

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not understanding you. At first you say that a conditional prophecy is a promise of threat whose fulfillment depends on certain conditions. This would be involving an "if". "If" you do this good thing, then this good thing will happen. "If" you do this bad thing, then that bad thing will happen. That's what conditional promises and threats are. You can't have conditionality with "if."

What I’m trying to say is that, if the “if” is expressed and not implied, it is no longer a prophecy, but a promise or warning which will be fulfilled. Let’s take for instance Revelation 2:5: “Remember then from what you have fallen, repent and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent”. If the church doesn’t repent, God will remove its lampstand from its place. Is there any way this isn't fulfilled? No. Therefore, this is not a conditional prophecy, but a warning. Take Jer. 29:13: “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Is there any way this isn't fulfilled? No. Every time you seek God with all your heart you will find Him. Therefore, this is not a conditional prophecy, but a promise.
Now take a conditional prophecy. “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown”. Is there any way this isn't fulfilled? Sure! In fact, it wasn’t. Take for instance the prophecy of Ezek. 40-48, about the new temple and its sacrifices. The same principle applies here.
So, what I see is that a promise or warning of God will always be fulfilled, while a conditional prophecy may or may not be fulfilled, depending on the human response.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84803
02/04/07 12:04 AM
02/04/07 12:04 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, does your opinion reflect what the SDA church teaches about it? Or, does the SDA church hold a different view of it? If so, what is it?
The prophetic interpretation tends to reflect the age one lives in. It would be interesting to know who people identified the lamblike beast with 300 years ago. We know that people were reading revelation back then. And we know that people couldnt have identified it as US back then (for the simpel fact that there was no such nation at that time). Was US the best fit for the lamblike beast at the time of the early SDA, consiering what they thought and knew? Likely so. Is it still so based on what we now know and considering how the world has changed since then? Good question, one that I do not have an answere to at this time.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #84807
02/04/07 02:46 AM
02/04/07 02:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, if the "beast" symbolizes Catholic Europe between 538-1798, then the lamb/dragon beast cannot symbolize a nation before 1798, right? It also seems reasonable to suggest the "image beast" rises to power sometime after 1844.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #84815
02/04/07 04:26 AM
02/04/07 04:26 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: MM, any conditional prophesies I cite you would define as "promises," so this discussion is pointless, isn't it?

MM: No. You're not studying with just me, you're studying with all of the members on MSDAOL. For sake of discussion, please share your opinion as to whether or not the following prophecies will be fulfilled exactly as foretold. In other words, is there any part of it that might not be fulfilled in the way the SDA church interprets it?

You made the point that there aren't any prophecies in Revelation which aren't conditional. I pointed out some which clearly are. You say these aren't "prophecies" but "promises". There's no point in continuing a discussion where when you are shown to be wrong, you just redefine things to agree with what you thought before, rather than admit to the point being made. This is exactly what you've done in the past. I don't see the point in continuing a discussion along these lines.

Regarding your question of Revelation, I believe the traditional Adventist interpretations of prophecy. I'm not the one who has Calvinistic leanings in my prophetic understanding. Our traditional prophetic Adventist understanding is Armenian, not Calvinistic.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #84817
02/04/07 04:49 AM
02/04/07 04:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In regards to Judas, is it possible that Judas could have not betrayed Christ?

Quote:
What I’m trying to say is that, if the “if” is expressed and not implied, it is no longer a prophecy, but a promise or warning which will be fulfilled.

This is an artificial distinction. There's all sorts of ways "if" can be expressed. For example, in English, "maybe," "whether," "when," "whenever," "given," "suppose," are just a few that immediately come to mind. Many more examples can be given.

In the case of Jonah's prophecy, there was no "if" expressed. That would make it, under your suggestion, a prophecy. Yet it didn't happen.

Regarding the examples I gave, I don't see what you're saying. The prophecy, or promise, or whatever you want to call it "You will find me when you seek for me with all your heart" was given to Israel, and wasn't fulfilled, because they didn't seek God. It's exactly the same thing that happened in Jonah.

The principle of prophecy is laid out by Jeremiah. It's very simple:

Quote:
5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the Lord. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. (Jer. 18:5-10)

This applies to individuals or groups of individuals. Prophecies are not arbitrary pronouncements upon God, about things which He arbitrarily determines to do against or for people who act for or against Him. They are the result of our choosing to live according to His principles or against them.

The people of Israel were arguing that since God has prophesied against them, it didn't make any difference what they did. The prophecy had been made, revealing the future, so that was that. God, through Jeremiah, explained that His prophecies are conditional. When one, whether nation or individual, abides by His principles, He blesses them. When one acts contrary to the principles of God, one suffers the consequences.

God, being infinitely intelligent, can reveal precisely what the consequences of acting for or contrary to His principles will be. Whether the things He says come to pass, depends upon whether God's warnings are heeded.

God is not willing that any should perish. The purpose of prophecy is to warn of the what the results of acting contrary to His principles with be, with the aim of leading the rebellious one to repentance. God's purpose in disclosing truth, whether by way of prediction or not, is salvation.

Page 4 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!