HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,496 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you agree? [Re: Tom] #86440
03/15/07 02:54 AM
03/15/07 02:54 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
The complete submission of oneself to God is not necessarily based on fear. In fact, fear can never engender submission, but only compliance.

Well put (the second sentence; I don't think the first is strong enough).

You're right. The 2nd is supposed to supercede the first.

Christian submission and fear are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
That is the desired goal. But obedience can, and must, come long before our thoughts become like His thoughts.

I don't know what this means. Is obedience possible at all without a conviction of truth?

Conviction of truth is necessary for obedience. But obedience does not require complete congruence of thoughts between God and us.

Quote:
The man who attempts to keep the commandments of God from a sense of obligation merely–because he is required to do so–will never enter into the joy of obedience. He does not obey.

This is from the same quote your comment applies to. Note it says, "He does not obey." I believe this is correct. The *only* obedience which is of value is obedience which springs from the heart, out of a conviction of God's goodness and the rightness of what one is doing.

I think we may be on the same page. What do you think?

I think we are on the same page. At least, most of the page is the same.

So far, I agree with what you've said on this matter. But I don't seem to be expressing myself intelligibly.

To do what God says only from a sense of obligation is not obedience. That quote is familiar to me.

But one does not need a full understanding of God's thoughts and purposes in order to obey. We are required to submit and obey, even before we have all the light available.

Quote:
One of the first lessons a child needs to learn is the lesson of obedience. Before he is old enough to reason, he may be taught to obey. {Ed 287.1}

We are God's children. And surely, the gap between Him and me is far greater than the one between my children and me. Even so, even without all the reasons, we must obey.

And as I tell my children, obedience is often a requirement for understanding the purpose of the command. Do it first, then you can ask for all the explanations you need.

Why would my children obey me when they don't understand the rationale for my command? Because they love me and they trust that my commands are always for their benefit.

Same goes for God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Do you agree? [Re: Rosangela] #86442
03/15/07 03:15 AM
03/15/07 03:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
Take these verses from Ecclesiastes 7:

16 Do not be overly righteous,
Nor be overly wise:
Why should you destroy yourself?
17 Do not be overly wicked,
Nor be foolish:
Why should you die before your time?

I'm not saying that they are not true. But surely, they cannot be taken as is.

Why not? Luke 15:17; 18:9 ... Matt. 11:25; Rom. 12:16 ... 2 Cor. 7:10

That's what I'm saying. If you have just Ecclesiastes, you cannot take these words at face value. You had to pull in NT writers. What were Solomon's contemporaries supposed to do? They couldn't wait 1000 years, like we did. If you take just these verses, you could walk away thinking that God is telling you to be lukewarm.

But even given that, you still cannot accept these words as is. What is "overly righteous" anyway? Righteousness is right doing. How can you go overboard with doing right? The standard we have is perfect righteousness. How can anyone exceed that?

Your solution is to take the phrase figuratively. IOW, when Solomon said "rigteous" he really meant "self-righteous" which is actually "unrighteous." In the end, what he means is the opposite of what he said. That is why I say that they cannot be taken as is.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Do you agree? [Re: asygo] #86449
03/15/07 12:23 PM
03/15/07 12:23 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
The Bible explains itself. A text explains another text. Of course I'm in agreement with this idea, which is a well-known principle of Bible interpretation.

"It is true that some portions of Scripture are, indeed, too plain to be misunderstood; but there are many portions whose meaning can not be seen at a glance; for the truth does not lie upon the surface. In order to understand the meaning of such passages, scripture must be compared with scripture; there must be careful research and prayerful reflection. Such study will be richly repaid. ... You must dig in the mine of truth till you find its greatest treasure, and by comparing scripture with scripture you may find the true meaning of the text." {ST, September 26, 1895 par. 2}

This, however, seems to be something different from what the lesson author means when he says that "in some places [of Ecclesiastes] Solomon is writing from the perspective of someone alienated from God. Like modern authors, he's giving us thoughts that flow directly from his head." I frankly didn't like the way in which this quarter's lesson is being presented. The author says, in essence: This is an expression of Solomon's pessimism, that isn't... This seems to be another expression of Solomon's pessimism, but in fact it isn't... Do you agree with Solomon? If not, why not?... For those who are spiritually mature, this may cause no harm, but one not so mature might, after studying this lesson, come out thinking that he can freely agree or disagree with the Biblical authors, and that he can separate what in the Bible he thinks should be applied to his life and what shouldn't.

Reply Quote
Re: Do you agree? [Re: Rosangela] #86452
03/15/07 01:06 PM
03/15/07 01:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I think I mostly agree with you, but your expression may leave something to be desired. For example:

Quote:
and that he can separate what in the Bible he thinks should be applied to his life and what shouldn't.

Of course we have to do this. Otherwise we would keep all the feasts, and keep all the health laws, just to list two examples. Women would seat separated from their husbands in church and wouldn't teach. Etc., etc.

If we approach Scripture as a means by which God communicates truth to us, and it is our desire to know truth, then in faith we can study, trusting He will make His will known to us. If we don't wish do His will in the first place, it doesn't matter what our approach to Scripture is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Do you agree? [Re: Rosangela] #86481
03/16/07 03:55 AM
03/16/07 03:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
This, however, seems to be something different from what the lesson author means when he says that "in some places [of Ecclesiastes] Solomon is writing from the perspective of someone alienated from God. Like modern authors, he's giving us thoughts that flow directly from his head." I frankly didn't like the way in which this quarter's lesson is being presented.

Bro Daryl knows that I've been struggling with the quarterly. In fact, my SS class this quarter has spent very little time with the quarterly itself. We use it as a springboard to jump elsewhere.

But we did spend some time discussing whether or not we can take the words literally, or at face value. There were some who said we should take it all as is. There were some who said we should take it with a grain of salt. And of course, there's the spectrum in between.

Personally, I have no problem with the idea that Solomon wrote things from a godless perspective. I've been known to express beliefs I don't espouse in order to investigate an idea, or more often, to make a point. As a South American, I trust you know how important the #2 in volleyball is.

But I do have a problem with the idea that Solomon was alienated from God at the time of his writing. Unless if the writing process to a very long time.

Certainly, this book is not for newbies.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!