HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication), 3,476 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? #86640
03/19/07 10:47 PM
03/19/07 10:47 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Servant in Shoutbox on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 8:15 p.m. ADT

My church has had different people request and receive financial assistance. Each time this occurs, I am uncomfortable with the process. I would like thoughtful guidelines for use when this occurs again. Where I may find information for such protocols?

I hope we can give Servant some suggested guidelines for her and her church to follow. I expect some of us have some experience on such requests.

Last edited by Daryl Fawcett; 03/20/07 02:01 PM. Reason: Gender corrections only.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Daryl] #86651
03/20/07 01:03 AM
03/20/07 01:03 AM
Servant  Offline
USA
Thank you. I posed this question on BSDAOL too, and am anxious (as in eager) for a response here and on that forum as well.

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Servant] #86654
03/20/07 04:20 AM
03/20/07 04:20 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello Daryl & Servant,

This request for financial assistance occurs almost every time I have been in an SDA Church or gathering. On Sabbath it may happen four or five times. Certainly thrice during the regular service. On occasion the speaker will berate the congregation for their lack of generosity, spirituality, selfishness. This has also happened at highly publicized crusade meetings when complete strangers are present. Too often the one asking is sporting the nicest clothes with a car to match. And usually on the payroll, with all benefits.

I agree, an uncomfortable process. Paul set a good example by working with his hands. Inspiration tells us the laymen will finish the work.

"And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need...And the Lord added to the church daily..." Acts 2:44-47.

"Neither said any of them that aught of the things which he possesed was his own; but they had all things common" Acts 4:32.

These might seem strange concepts for today's Church, but they are Bible-based examples.

Gordon

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Servant] #86656
03/20/07 04:57 AM
03/20/07 04:57 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Quote:
My church has had different people request and receive financial assistance. Each time this occurs, I am uncomfortable with the process. I would like thoughtful guidelines for use when this occurs again. Where I may find information for such protocols?

Servant, what do you mean by financial assistance? Are you referring to "ministries", or people in need of assistance in basic living needs? (food, electric, gas, phone heating)

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: crater] #86677
03/20/07 02:07 PM
03/20/07 02:07 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, it is obvious that the church is to help the needy, but with our eyes open, not blindly with our eyes closed.

Daryl smile

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Daryl] #86710
03/20/07 08:05 PM
03/20/07 08:05 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
So we are talking about the needy?

It is difficult to know if someone is truly needy, as there are so many unethical or "scam artist" seeking a "hand out".

It is important to to deal with people in a kind and loving manner. Help them to maintain their dignity. For many it is very difficult to seek a "hand of help".

Pray before hand for guidance.

It may be best to give food and pay a bill rather than give out cash. The person coming for assistance may very well be in need, but there may be someone in the persons life that may take the money from them to be used on their own vices.

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: crater] #86715
03/20/07 10:22 PM
03/20/07 10:22 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is exactly why I do not personally give out any cash, but rather offer to take them to the store instead.

Daryl smile

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Daryl] #86730
03/21/07 03:15 AM
03/21/07 03:15 AM
Servant  Offline
USA
Regarding the validity of the immediate request for assistance; for the purpose of guideline or protocol establishment, assume the requests are for urgent needs.

OTOH, when church or community members request assistance to meet a perceived need, each church should have guidelines in place that will help to ensure 1) the church responds in a manner that will honor God and 2) the church response does not directly or indirectly, enable inappropriate personal choices.

As such, I suggest the number one protocol that should be put into place is this: Those church members who will decide whether or how much, assistance to grant the requestor, i.e., Church Board members, should be notified in advance of the decision meeting, in order to allow those deciders to pray, personally ponder and reflect upon various options. This will help to facilitate a thoughtful decision.

Although I do not doubt the sincerity of the person who makes the request on behalf of the requestor, respect for God, His work, and His monies, requires a thoughtful, versus last minute, approach.

All this being said however, what guidelines for like issues have worked in your church?

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: Servant] #86731
03/21/07 06:59 AM
03/21/07 06:59 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Isn't ACS in place for assisting the needy? Formerly known as Dorcas Society.
Food and clothing have been the traditional assistance. Money isn't normally given to individuals through ACS is it?

Some times an individual church member may feel impressed to assist someone financially. Some in the medical field may offer some free services. Parish nurse can visit in the home. Church members can help with home repairs, yard work and such.

ACS Disaster Response does not give money to individuals. However they can furnish volunteers and do supply water, food, clothing, and other supplies to disaster victims. ACS DR works closely with other disaster organization in a disaster situation. Each organization brings their own "expertise to the table. There are organizations that do give money to assist disaster victims.

I do think that the church should help with the care of the widow, orphans, single parent families, and the elderly. There should be some type of guide lines for this.

ACS leader, deacon, deaconess and parish nurse should be of help in setting up some guidelines. Guidelines would be important but need to be flexible enough to allow following the Lord's leading.

Re: Guidelines When Responding to Requests For Financial Assistance? [Re: crater] #86769
03/21/07 09:47 PM
03/21/07 09:47 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The policy that we followed in the church I attended before moving away from there was not to give out any money, but to give them what they needed instead. If it were for food, give them food instead. If it were for gas for their vehicle, go with them to a gas station and pay for their gas directly. We had some who walked away after being offered food instead of money for food. The serious ones accepted our offer for food, gas, or whatever it was.

Daryl smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!