HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 103 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88235
04/25/07 12:03 PM
04/25/07 12:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
I think, from your answer, that you would say that the "real probability" is greater than 0, but the probability from God's perspective would be 0. Is that correct?

For example, if someone asked you, "What's the probability that a fair coin will come up heads?" your answer would be: "The real probability is 50%. The probability from God's perspective is 0, or 100, depending upon whether God knows it will be heads or tails." Is that correct?

Correct.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #88239
04/25/07 02:41 PM
04/25/07 02:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think you're using "real probability" a bit oddly. I would say the "real probability" in the case of the risk to Christ was 0, and the "perceived probability by fallible beings" is greater than 0. But the "real" probability should correspond to reality, not to what is imagined, shouldn't it?

That is, we, because of our ignorance, would perceive that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, hence we would, in our ignorance, assign a probability of greater than 0 to that event. However God, according to His greater knowledge of the situation than we have, would assign a probability of 0. Since God's perception of reality is the truth, and ours is flawed, that "real" or "true" probability that Christ was fail, as of 1000 B.C., was 0.

To put it another way, disregarding how we would view the situation, the actual chance that Christ would fail when He would come around 1000 years later, as of 1000 B.C., was 0.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88251
04/25/07 05:53 PM
04/25/07 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
TE: MM, either it was possible for God to create angels that wouldn't sin, or it wasn't. Which do you believe to be the case?

MM: Tom, you are totally ignoring my point. Please address it. Thank you.

PS - My point is: God is infinitely wise and perfect, therefore, whatever He does is the only right thing to do. All other ways or "options" are by default wrong, and are, consequently, not viable. Your question, therefore, misses the point.

My question is a yes or no question. Either it was possible for God to create angels that wouldn't sin, or it wasn't. Please answer my question.

Regarding you point, what I notice is that you are assuming that there could only have been a single best option available to God. However, this is by no means necessarily the case. There could have been several options available, or many, which were equal in value, and God chose one of these equal options. There is no reason to assume that there was only one viable option available, or that because God chooses to do something that He couldn't have chosen to do something equally as good.

What we can assert is that there is no choice available which would have been better than the choice that God made.

TE: My question is a yes or no question. Either it was possible for God to create angels that wouldn't sin, or it wasn't. Please answer my question.

MM: No.

TE: What we can assert is that there is no choice available which would have been better than the choice that God made.

MM: This implies there were other equally as good options available to God. But I disagree. But even if it were true it means sin and death were equally inevitable. God did not purposely avoid choosing an option that would not have included sin and death.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88252
04/25/07 05:59 PM
04/25/07 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: However, my question has to do with how heaven could be said to be in any danger, given your view of the future. Specifically, given that (from your perspective) God has known for all eternity that heaven itself would never, ever be in any danger whatsoever, why would Ellen White write that it was imperiled?

MM: Tom, how would heaven have been imperiled if Jesus had failed to save us?

I'm wanting Daryl to answer this question. I'll comment later.

If Jesus had failed to save us, heaven would have been imperiled in several ways: 1) Jesus would not have been allowed to return to heaven, 2) Satan's accusations would not have been disproven, 3) the last link of sympathy in the hearts of loyal angels toward Satan would not have been eliminated, 4) the seed of rebellion would have infected the rest of God's FMAs, and 5) God would have been forced to eliminate all FMAs.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88253
04/25/07 06:04 PM
04/25/07 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I think you're using "real probability" a bit oddly. I would say the "real probability" in the case of the risk to Christ was 0, and the "perceived probability by fallible beings" is greater than 0. But the "real" probability should correspond to reality, not to what is imagined, shouldn't it?

That is, we, because of our ignorance, would perceive that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, hence we would, in our ignorance, assign a probability of greater than 0 to that event. However God, according to His greater knowledge of the situation than we have, would assign a probability of 0. Since God's perception of reality is the truth, and ours is flawed, that "real" or "true" probability that Christ was fail, as of 1000 B.C., was 0.

To put it another way, disregarding how we would view the situation, the actual chance that Christ would fail when He would come around 1000 years later, as of 1000 B.C., was 0.

Tom, God's ability to know the future like He knows the past does not in least diminish the risk Jesus took. In the same way, just because the 144,000 know they will not die it does not diminish the risk or the threat of death they experience during the time of trouble.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #88260
04/25/07 07:27 PM
04/25/07 07:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: My question is a yes or no question. Either it was possible for God to create angels that wouldn't sin, or it wasn't. Please answer my question.

If it's not possible to create angels that wouldn't sin, doesn't that suggest a design flaw? Why should sin be the inevitable result of creating angels? That doesn't make any sense to me. Even if this were the case, why wouldn't God simply have refrained from creating angels, and just stick with the millions of other world, including trillions of beings that wouldn't sin?

TE: What we can assert is that there is no choice available which would have been better than the choice that God made.

MM: This implies there were other equally as good options available to God.

No, it doesn't imply this. It implies there MIGHT be other options which were as good.

But I disagree.

There's no reason to assume there weren't other options equally as good. There could have been. How would you know?

But even if it were true it means sin and death were equally inevitable. God did not purposely avoid choosing an option that would not have included sin and death.

Wow, that's like a triple negative. God did not avoid choosing an option that would not have included sin and death. That's quite a sentence.

You are asserting that God had no option which would not include sin and death. What about simply not creating Lucifer? Or not creating angels? Why should that have resulted in sin and death? (I'm expecting a circular answer to be forthcoming).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88261
04/25/07 07:33 PM
04/25/07 07:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, God's ability to know the future like He knows the past does not in least diminish the risk Jesus took.

I'll ask you the same question I've been asking Rosangela. As of 1000 B.C., what was the probability that Christ would fail? Was it 0? Or greater than 0?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88276
04/25/07 10:08 PM
04/25/07 10:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
That is, we, because of our ignorance, would perceive that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, hence we would, in our ignorance, assign a probability of greater than 0 to that event.

Wrong. What were the chances for that woman to get pregnant? 100% or less than 5%? If you say that they were 100% you are implying that something extremely easy, instead of something extremely difficult, happened.
As the author says, "If I say I have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 6 on a fair die, and every time it happens, you say 'Haha, see, you were wrong, the chance was 100%', and then you ignore the 5 times in 6 that it does happen, well, I'm just not going to be your friend any more."
The threat to Christ was real - therefore the risk was real.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #88279
04/25/07 11:10 PM
04/25/07 11:10 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom:That is, we, because of our ignorance, would perceive that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, hence we would, in our ignorance, assign a probability of greater than 0 to that event.

Wrong. What were the chances for that woman to get pregnant? 100% or less than 5%? If you say that they were 100% you are implying that something extremely easy, instead of something extremely difficult, happened.

As the author says, "If I say I have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 6 on a fair die, and every time it happens, you say 'Haha, see, you were wrong, the chance was 100%', and then you ignore the 5 times in 6 that it does happen, well, I'm just not going to be your friend any more."

The threat to Christ was real - therefore the risk was real.

You're confusing concepts here. The post hoc probability is based on a fallacy of reasoning, which has to do with confusing something which has already happened with something about to happen, and after the fact attempting to assign a probability to that event. In discussing the possibility of Christ's failure or success, we are not discussing anything after the fact, but before the fact, so the post hoc fallacy does not apply. I am not saying that because Christ did succeed He had to succeed. This would be the fallacy you are referring to.

What I am arguing is that given that everything that God knows with certain will happen, will indeed happen, if God knew Christ would succeed, then there is no chance Christ would fail.

We can apply this to the case of the woman getting pregnant. Given that God knew the woman would become pregnant, the chance is 100% that the woman would become pregnant. This is exactly what happened with the Virgin Mary, Elizabeth, and Sarah. Here we have not only cases where it was difficult for a woman to become pregnant, but impossible (apart from divine intervention). Yet the chance was 100% it would happen. One could state with certainty that these women would become pregnant.

Here's another example. Let's say there's a movie you haven't seen, but someone else has. In the movie is a game of some sort between two teams. From your perspective, there is some probability that one team or the other would win, say 50/50. However, someone who had already seen the movie could tell you 100% who would win. The chance that the other team would win is 0. You don't know this because of your ignorance. Your assignment of a 50/50 probability is based on that ignorance. The true, or real, probability was 100%.

As of 1000 B.C. there was some probability that Christ would succeed or fail in His mission. If God saw in the future that Christ would certainly succeed, and He sees the future like a T.V. rerun, then there is as much chance that Christ would fail as that the other team in the movie example I gave would win, which is to say none at all. As a person unfamiliar with the movie would not know how to properly assign the probability of an event that is really 0 or 100, so we could improperly assign probabilities to events that in reality have a probability of 0 or 100%.

In fact, given the way you perceive the future to be, every event has either a 0 or 100% probability, and God could could tell you what that probability was, for every event. For God, from your perspective, there are no events which are uncertain; something is either certain to occur, or to not occur. The concept of risk, in reference to God, from this standpoint is nonsensical. It makes no sense to say "God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss" under this scenario, given that God knew Christ would succeed and there was no chance Christ would fail.

Here's another way to look at it. Let's suppose that there really was a chance the Christ would fail. If that were the case, say as of 1000 B.C., then God, as of 1000 B.C., would certainly have foreseen that possibility.

When we take away the idea the future is like a T.V. rerun, consisting only of one given certainty, the logical problems here go away. We can speak of God's sending His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, because there really was a risk of failure and eternal loss, which God knew and foresaw. God foresaw the risk, but agreed to send His Son anyway, which is to God's everlasting glory.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #88288
04/26/07 01:50 AM
04/26/07 01:50 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

If it's not possible to create angels that wouldn't sin, doesn't that suggest a design flaw? Why should sin be the inevitable result of creating angels? That doesn't make any sense to me. Even if this were the case, why wouldn't God simply have refrained from creating angels, and just stick with the millions of other world, including trillions of beings that wouldn't sin?

MM: This implies there were other equally as good options available to God.

No, it doesn't imply this. It implies there MIGHT be other options which were as good.

But I disagree.

There's no reason to assume there weren't other options equally as good. There could have been. How would you know?

But even if it were true it means sin and death were equally inevitable. God did not purposely avoid choosing an option that would not have included sin and death.

Wow, that's like a triple negative. God did not avoid choosing an option that would not have included sin and death. That's quite a sentence.

You are asserting that God had no option which would not include sin and death. What about simply not creating Lucifer? Or not creating angels? Why should that have resulted in sin and death? (I'm expecting a circular answer to be forthcoming).

TE: If it's not possible to create angels that wouldn't sin, doesn't that suggest a design flaw? Why should sin be the inevitable result of creating angels? That doesn't make any sense to me.

MM: No, it doesn't suggest a design flaw. The fact two-thirds of the angels choose not to sin and rebel is proof.

TE: Even if this were the case, why wouldn't God simply have refrained from creating angels, and just stick with the millions of other world, including trillions of beings that wouldn't sin?

MM: We could also ask, Why did He create humans on the same planet He banished the evil angles?

TE: You are asserting that God had no option which would not include sin and death. What about simply not creating Lucifer? Or not creating angels? Why should that have resulted in sin and death? (I'm expecting a circular answer to be forthcoming).

MM: No other option could be better than the one Jesus employed, and I assume one that did not include sin and death would be better.

Page 30 of 103 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!