HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87836
04/12/07 04:05 PM
04/12/07 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: You are saying that Jesus could not have failed. Ellen White wrote, "Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen." I believe she was right. We seem to be going in circles a bit here. You're not going to convince me that she was wrong on this point.

MM: What she wrote was purely theoretical, right? She wrote it after the fact. In heaven, we could look back on the final crisis and say, “The 144,000 could have sinned. They could have failed.” How is this any different than what Sister White wrote about Jesus?

TE: No, not at all. One does not use language like, "a more fearful risk" to refer to things which are purely theoretical. The 144,000 are comprised of those who succeed. So it's not possible that they could have sinned or failed. Individual members of the 144,000 could sin or fail, but then they would not be a part of the 144,000.

Whatever Sister White wrote about the risk Jesus took was written after the fact, after He succeeded, therefore, it is purely theoretical. Jesus could have sinned, true, but He didn’t. Yes, it is a fact that Jesus could have sinned, but He didn’t, right? Hypothetically He could have sinned, but He didn’t, right?

Quote:
MM: In light of your formula explaining the differences between certain death and risk versus certain success and risk (discussed in a previous post) aren’t you contradicting yourself?

TE: No, there's no contradiction in what I wrote. I think you've just not understood what risk is.

MM: If God knows someone is going to die it proves there is a risk? What is the risk? That they might live? Does that mean God knew Jesus would fail because Sister White spoke of it in the context of risk?

TE: I think this just the same issue (of you're not understanding what risk is). To be honest, I've having difficulty following what point you're trying to make, but my best guess is that it has to do with confusion as to the meaning of "risk."

You said Sister White uses the risk concept only when death is certain. According to you, then, God knew Jesus would die, which means Jesus would be successful on the cross. If Jesus had sinned or refused to save us He would not have died.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #87839
04/12/07 05:16 PM
04/12/07 05:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Whatever Sister White wrote about the risk Jesus took was written after the fact, after He succeeded, therefore, it is purely theoretical.

What you are asserting here simply doesn't follow. You are arguing that any statement made after the fact is theoretical. You could apply this logic to everything Ellen White wrote about Jesus, since it was all after the fact.

If you just look at her language, and what she was actually saying, you can see that it's not hypothetical. Everything about what she wrote screams that she's talking about a *real* possibility.

You are gratuitously asserting things. There's no evidence to support your claim.

Here's what she wrote in DA 49, for example:

Quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

Point out something, anything, from the text which would give an indication that this is hypothetical. It doesn't exist!

Look at the ending of what she wrote:

Quote:
To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth!

This is as real as it gets! We *should* be astonished that God took such a risk. This is her whole point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87840
04/12/07 05:21 PM
04/12/07 05:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You said Sister White uses the risk concept only when death is certain.

Sometimes I wonder what your thinking is when you read things. I never said this. I never said anything even remotely close to this. What you are asserting that I said doesn't make any sense. Risk has to do with the possibility of loss. The loss doesn't have to be death. The loss doesn't have to be certain.

According to you, then, God knew Jesus would die, which means Jesus would be successful on the cross.

I've no idea whatsoever what would lead you to write such a thing. Would you please quote something I wrote, or give some sort of clue, as to how you arriving at the conclusions you are? I've never said anything at all like this.

If Jesus had sinned or refused to save us He would not have died.

If Jesus had sinned, He would not have died??? Where do you get an idea like this? The wages of sin is death. That means that sin results in death. Of course He would have died. Why do you think He wouldn't have died?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #87844
04/12/07 07:53 PM
04/12/07 07:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Quote:
Tom, perhaps it was typo because earlier you posted – “If God knows none of the 144,000 is going to die, then there is no chance that any of them will die, and hence no risk, peril, or danger. How could there be? Risk/peril/danger means "the possibility of loss" or "the possibility of harm." Without the possibility of loss or harm, there is no risk, peril or danger.”

Then later on you wrote – “If God saw that you would die, then you would be incurring risk, since it would be possible (100% chance in fact) that you would die.” Did you mean “then you would be incurring no risk”? The reason I suspect a typo is because you argued before and after it that there is no risk when the outcome is known with certainty.

TE: No, there's no typo here. I've re-read this, and it seems to be very well explained, MM. I'm not sure where you're seeing a contradiction. In the case of the 144,000, God knows none will die. Hence there is not risk. In the hypothetical Rosangela case, God sees Rosangela died, so there is risk.

Did you notice that in one case the referenced party dies, and in the other it doesn't?

If God knows someone is going to die there is a risk? What is the risk? That they might live? Does that mean God knew Jesus would fail because Sister White spoke of it in the context of risk? This angle seems to undermine your theory.

In light of your formula explaining the differences between 1) certain death and risk versus 2) certain success and risk aren’t you contradicting yourself? If God knows someone is going to die it proves there is a risk? What is the risk? That they might live? Does that mean God knew Jesus would fail because Sister White spoke of it in the context of risk?

TE: In the case of the 144,000, God knows none will die. Hence there is not risk. In the hypothetical Rosangela case, God sees Rosangela died, so there is risk.

MM: From what you posted I gather you believe if there is no chance of death there is no risk. There is only risk when death is certain. Putting two and two together it is obvious you believe God knew Jesus would die, which means you believe God knew would Jesus succeed on the cross.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #87845
04/12/07 07:55 PM
04/12/07 07:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If Jesus had sinned, He would not have died??? Where do you get an idea like this? The wages of sin is death. That means that sin results in death. Of course He would have died. Why do you think He wouldn't have died?

MM: Deity or divinity cannot die.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #87846
04/12/07 08:16 PM
04/12/07 08:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: If Jesus had sinned, He would not have died??? Where do you get an idea like this? The wages of sin is death. That means that sin results in death. Of course He would have died. Why do you think He wouldn't have died?

MM: Deity or divinity cannot die.

Your point? You're not denying Jesus died, are you?

I'm not following any of this. I don't know why you think "my point" has anything at all to do with what your saying, nor do I see that any of what I allegedly said makes any sense. Nor am I following why you are pointing out that divinity could not die.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87847
04/12/07 08:20 PM
04/12/07 08:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: In the case of the 144,000, God knows none will die. Hence there is not risk. In the hypothetical Rosangela case, God sees Rosangela died, so there is risk.

MM: From what you posted I gather you believe if there is no chance of death there is no risk. There is only risk when death is certain.

No, MM. This isn't right. You should reason from risk means. That should be your starting point. Then the rest of it would make sense.

The definition of risk is "the possibility of loss." There is only risk when death is *possible*. Not certain. Just possible. Now if death is certain, it's evidently possible.

In the other case, the probability of death was 0. Hence there was no risk.

Putting two and two together it is obvious you believe God knew Jesus would die, which means you believe God knew would Jesus succeed on the cross.

Well, your premise is off, so whatever would follow would not constitute a sound argument in any case, but I don't follow what you're tying to say here, even if the premise weren't off.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #88345
04/27/07 11:24 AM
04/27/07 11:24 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, MM, can you tell me what the following text implies, if anything about the foreknowledge of God:
 Quote:

7:7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye [were] the fewest of all people:
7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations; Deut.

To me the text is saying that God's love is the first cause of salvation. It is the 'prime mover'. It goes beyond forknowledge which in itself has no causative effect. The love of God, in contrast to His foreknowlegde, is the well spring of universal action and life.

So, in the context of our salvation, our part is to respond to that love. That is where the will comes into play. But the love of God that he has set on us and made us his chosen people is the causative principle springing from His own pure and unselfish heart. The doctrine of the election is here and throughout the prophets and apostles to remind us that God first set his love on us while we were His enemies. That makes all of the difference. The doctrine of the foreknowledge of God should be distinguished from the election. It is good to understand that God knows everything, past and future, but it is more essential to know the nature of the everlasting covenant that saves us through the outstretched arms of His love. While we were His enemies, Christ died for the ungodly.

You may say, yes but God loves everyone. That's true. But God did not set His love on all the heathen nations as He did on Israel. The blessings that He promised Israel were conditional on obedience. The covenant of love He made with them was not apparently. That is to say, God didn't love them because of their obedience. They were in fact a stiff-knecked people, few in number. But he set his love on them because of His oath to their fathers and because he loved them. So He loved them because He loved them. His deep love was a matter of principle and of choice.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Charity] #88347
04/27/07 12:35 PM
04/27/07 12:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
To me the text is saying that God's love is the first cause of salvation. It is the 'prime mover'. It goes beyond foreknowledge which in itself has no causative effect. The love of God, in contrast to His foreknowledge, is the well spring of universal action and life.

Agreed.

So, in the context of our salvation, our part is to respond to that love. That is where the will comes into play. But the love of God that he has set on us and made us his chosen people is the causative principle springing from His own pure and unselfish heart. The doctrine of the election is here and throughout the prophets and apostles to remind us that God first set his love on us while we were His enemies. That makes all of the difference. The doctrine of the foreknowledge of God should be distinguished from the election. It is good to understand that God knows everything, past and future, but it is more essential to know the nature of the everlasting covenant that saves us through the outstretched arms of His love. While we were His enemies, Christ died for the ungodly.

Agreed.

You may say, yes but God loves everyone. That's true. But God did not set His love on all the heathen nations as He did on Israel.

Only because they weren't willing. Israel, as bad as it was, was still the people the most potentially receptive to God's love and leading. God is not a respecter of persons. He dispenses truth as quickly as we are able and willing to receive it, whether as individuals or groups.

The blessings that He promised Israel were conditional on obedience. The covenant of love He made with them was not apparently. That is to say, God didn't love them because of their obedience. They were in fact a stiff-knecked people, few in number. But he set his love on them because of His oath to their fathers and because he loved them. So He loved them because He loved them. His deep love was a matter of principle and of choice.

He loved them because He loved them? It's hard to argue with that.

Good points about love. Calling it the "prime-mover" is a nice way of putting it.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #88619
05/04/07 11:56 AM
05/04/07 11:56 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
 Quote:
MS:You may say, yes but God loves everyone. That's true. But God did not set His love on all the heathen nations as He did on Israel.

TE:Only because they weren't willing. Israel, as bad as it was, was still the people the most potentially receptive to God's love and leading. God is not a respecter of persons. He dispenses truth as quickly as we are able and willing to receive it, whether as individuals or groups.

If the convenant and oath of God with Abraham was simply a matter of God's foreknowledge, that is, God made it because He knew they would respond the most favorably, then it has no depth of meaning. The main lesson of the covenant is that God first loved His people and that love liberated them from physical and spiritual bondage the same as it does for us today and His love is also His claim to our heart's devotion.
 Quote:
7:8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
7:10 And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: Deut.

So, in the above text we have the correct balance. God first loves and enters into a covenant with His chosen people. The covenant is intended to last forever, to a thousand generations. We as individuals and as a church can still turn our backs on it but if we do, it only magnifies the grace of God in setting his love on those whom He foreknew would finally reject it.

Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!