HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90835
07/29/07 06:27 AM
07/29/07 06:27 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Hi gordonb1,

Your comments offer some food for thought. \:\)
 Quote:
Thank you for this remark. It should receive careful attention from Sabbathkeepers. (BTW - It is reported that the Papal flag was flown at a recent GC session.)
You know when I wrote that, I was thinking that I had heard something about the Papal flag was flown at a recent GC session. Which is difficult a thing to "digest".

From my reading I seem to remember it being stated that the U. S . Catholic churches do not display the American flag in there sanctuary.

Quote:
Just a thought; obviously, it is most likely that our churches wouldn't display the flag of the first beast, but what about the second beast of Rev 13?
This thought just occurred to me the other day so, I am still mulling it over.

Quote:
Does 'allegiance to the flag' help prepare one to accept the mark of the beast? What are your thoughts

Perhaps there is more to this flag thing then the initial research? I am unable to put any thought on this into words yet. To use an old 60's phrase. It's a bit, "mind blowing".

I am to tired to answer this one tonight.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90838
07/29/07 09:43 AM
07/29/07 09:43 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: asygo

Were there flags in the way God set up the Israelites when He took them out of Egypt? Yes, there were. Each tribe had its own flag. But we should note that those flags were never used in the sanctuary or its services. The closest thing to a flag in the sanctuary would be the veils, representing Christ (Hebrews 10:20).

WDYT?

I personally see a bit of a difference here. We have just ONE flag...they had 12, one for each nation. Perhaps God wanted to avoid having contention over which tribe's flag should be first in line, or something like that....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90839
07/29/07 10:07 AM
07/29/07 10:07 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Likewise, the flag of the United States appears to be the most recognizable standard of the beast's image. This flag is a symbol of imperial domination and tyranny to many regions of the world. Canada's flag is sadly earning the same reputation.

Can a church or follower of the meek and lovely Lamb of God display this standard of the beast's image? What message is this sending to the multitudes who have been brutalized by the U.S. regime?

Christ said "my kingdom is not of this world" John 18:36. Thus, He would not fly a Roman flag. Does 'allegiance to the flag' help prepare one to accept the mark of the beast? What are your thoughts Crater?

Gordon

Gordon, if this was the case, don't you think EGW would have some counsel somewhere that we should not fly the USA flag anywhere, let alone in the church?

I'm not saying that I think that there should be a USA Flag in the church...why not fly it outside of the church, by the church sign or something? To take the stand you are is really anti-American.

Ellen White saw the flag as an "honor" -

Quote:
On one occasion, when I accepted an invitation to speak to a large audience on the subject of temperance, the people did me the honor of draping above the pulpit the American flag. My words were received with the deepest attention, and at the close of my talk a hearty vote of thanks was accorded me. I have never, in all my work on this question, had to accept one word of disrespect.--Te 225, 226 (1907).
Surely, she didn't see our flag as you are portraying it.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90841
07/29/07 04:38 PM
07/29/07 04:38 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Can a church or follower of the meek and lovely Lamb of God display this standard of the beast's image?

First, I don't think the U.S. is the image to the beast. I believe it is apostate Protestantism that is the image to the beast.
 Quote:
The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas. {GC 445.2}

But that's for another thread.

What if the U.S. remained as lamb-like as it originally was?
 Quote:
The "two horns like a lamb" well represent the character of the United States Government, as expressed in its two fundamental principles, Republicanism and Protestantism. These principles are the secret of our power and prosperity as a nation. {ST, November 1, 1899 par. 4}

If the U.S. was a "good" nation, then would it be OK to fly its flag in the sanctuary? What about Israel in the days of David or Solomon? IOW, is your opposition to the flag in the sanctuary because the U.S. speaks like a dragon?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #90844
07/29/07 04:59 PM
07/29/07 04:59 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Perhaps God wanted to avoid having contention over which tribe's flag should be first in line, or something like that....

God established who was first in line. It was Judah.

Quote:
Numbers 2:3 - And on the east side toward the rising of the sun shall they of the standard of the camp of Judah pitch throughout their armies....

Numbers 10:14 - In the first place went the standard of the camp of the children of Judah according to their armies....

I'm thinking that God wanted to avoid nationalistic concerns when it came to worship.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90846
07/30/07 02:41 AM
07/30/07 02:41 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello asygo,

It appears that "United States" is used interchangeably with "Protestant America":

"...then Protestant America will have formed an image of the Roman hierarchy...the beast with two horns causeth all...to receive a mark in their right hand or in their foreheads..." GC 445.

"In order for the United States to form an image of the beast..." GC 443.

"The formation of this image is the work of that beast whose peaceful rise and mild professions render it so striking a symbol of the United States. Here is to be found an image of the Papacy." Spirit of Prophecy Vol. 4, 278.

Is there any "good nation"? Every nation is good in its own eyes, but Revelation 14:8 says Babylon "made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."

My own opinion matters little. I repeat what I read in the Bible and SOP regarding the third angel's message. Who dare conceal it? While the USA will be first to enforce the Sunday law, all other nations (flags) will soon follow with a death decree.

Those deemed unpatriotic or "anti-American" for refusing to bow as did the three Hebrew boys, will be reported by their "brethren" for heresy.

What you have termed 'opposition to a flag in the sanctuary', I will describe as the principle: Separation of Church & State.

The only safe flag is the blood-stained banner of Immanuel.

Regards,

Gordon

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90848
07/30/07 05:49 AM
07/30/07 05:49 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
My own opinion matters little. I repeat what I read in the Bible and SOP regarding the third angel's message. Who dare conceal it?

That's what I'm looking for. I have not seen any plain statement in the Bible/SOP either for or against putting a flag in the sanctuary. But there are positive statements about flags in a religious meeting.

While the USA will be first to enforce the Sunday law, all other nations (flags) will soon follow with a death decree. ...

The only safe flag is the blood-stained banner of Immanuel.

It seems we arrive at the same conclusion via different routes. Your opposition seems to be based on U.S. apostasy, while my opposition is based on its humanity.

The plan of salvation, which is the basis of the Gospel we are to teach in our sanctuaries, is not to have any thread of human devising. Therefore, I oppose the placing of any national flag in the sanctuary, since nations - even God-ordained nations - are human institutions.

When God set up the sanctuary to teach us the plan of salvation, the only "flags" in there were the veils which represent Christ's flesh. Truly, they were blood-stained - by the work of the priests in the tabernacle and on Golgotha.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90849
07/30/07 06:02 AM
07/30/07 06:02 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
These quotes from GC seem to indicate the U. S A., as well." The dignitaries of church and State will unite to bribe, persuade, or compel all classes to honor the Sunday. The lack of divine authority will be supplied by oppressive enactments. Political corruption is destroying love of justice and regard for truth; and even in free America, rulers and legislators, in order to secure public favor, will yield to the popular demand for a law enforcing Sunday observance. Liberty of conscience, which has cost so great a sacrifice, will no longer be respected. In the soon-coming conflict we shall see exemplified the prophet's words: "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." [REV. 12:17.] {GC88 592.3}

"Heretofore those who presented the truths of the third angel's message have often been regarded as mere alarmists. Their predictions that religious intolerance would gain control in the United States, that church and State would unite to persecute those who keep the commandments of God, have been pronounced groundless and absurd. It has been confidently declared that this land could never become other than what it has been, the defender of religious freedom. But as the question of enforcing Sunday observance is widely agitated, the event so long doubted and disbelieved is seen to be approaching, and the third message will produce an effect which it could not have had before."
{GC88 605.3}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90874
07/31/07 01:35 AM
07/31/07 01:35 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Revelation 13:11 - And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

Revelation 13:14 - And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

It has been shown that the United States is the power represented by the beast with lamblike horns... {GC 578.3}

But what is the "image to the beast"? and how is it to be formed? The image is made by the two-horned beast, and is an image to the beast. {GC 443.1}

The U.S. is the 2nd beast of Rev 13. It makes the image to the first beast. I don't see how we can equate the 2nd beast to the image of the beast.

But again, this is

Is a nation's moral standing a factor to you whether or not it should plant its flag in the sanctuary?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90894
07/31/07 05:14 PM
07/31/07 05:14 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Quote:
Is a nation's moral standing a factor to you whether or not it should plant its flag in the sanctuary?

Interesting question and more food for thought.

Sorry I don't have any time right now, getting ready for a trip. \:\)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!